PDA

View Full Version : Roger Federer speaks about the Venus Sania match controversy

Williamsser
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Roger gives his opinion on the ATP/WTA court scheduling....(credit to onewoman74 from Menstennisforums)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080121/sp_wl_afp/tennisopenausfederernight_080121095225;_ylt=Anv2Ny P.gFDOD7NZzYXrgz5Mz7QF

Women's tennis match should have moved to avoid midnight farce: Federer

by Robert Smith Mon Jan 21, 4:52 AM ET

MELBOURNE (AFP) - Roger Federer says a women's match should have been moved on centre court to prevent the farcical circumstances that led to the latest finish in Grand Slam history at the Australian Open.

Ramifications continued Monday over the organisers' decision to schedule a midnight start to a third round match between former finalists Lleyton Hewitt and Marcos Baghdatis that ended at 4:33am (1733 GMT) Sunday.

Hewitt won in five sets in four and three-quarter hours, giving his fourth round opponent, third seed Novak Djokovic, the benefit of an extra night's rest.

Tournament director Craig Tiley said he had consulted with Venus Williams and Sania Mirza on the possibility of moving their preceding match off centre court to allow for an earlier start to the men's match, but they refused.

The Herald Sun newspaper claimed Williams and Mirza were involved in an 25-minute "running row" with Tiley over the issue.

Federer, who with 12 Grand Slams is ranked by some as the greatest player of all-time, was asked, hypothetically, at a press conference if he would have moved his match if he had been requested to do so in a similar situation.

"I'm a pretty relaxed guy. Look, I don't ask for much in tournaments. If I ask for something they (organisers) know it's for real and they trust me, whatever," he said.

"But if they would come and tell me, 'You've got to move'. Honestly, I think the players shouldn't have too much of a say.

"We're happy to be playing here and we're happy they're putting us on Rod Laver Arena. Is it bad to be on Vodafone Arena? I don't think so. It's still a wonderful court.

"I'm not going after the ladies, I'm just saying I would be pretty relaxed and I would accept anything they would have done with me really at that stage.

"Really it happens so rarely that sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and you have to go through those things."

Federer said he also advocates an earlier start to night session matches to minimise the possibility of early morning finishes which disadvantage winners for their ensuing matches.

"I think we should maybe start the night sessions an hour earlier," he said.

"Instead of 7:30pm, why not 6:30pm? I'm not the mastermind behind everything. But I do agree sometimes the matches do start too late for us.

"That's what you get when you want to put women's and men's matches at the same time."

The reason matches at Melbourne Park start at 7.30pm is primarily to satisfy television interests.

Williams was reluctant to answer questions on the issue Monday, but defended the decision not to move her match off centre court.

"I think it wasn't just me. It was Sania Mirza also. Both of us wanted to play our match as scheduled, which is a normal thing to want," she said.

"So I think the tournament did a good job of recognizing the schedule. Everyone was dealing with the circumstances, all of the players, not just one. So we all did the best that we could."

Hewitt's match was running so late on Saturday because Federer was unexpectedly taken to five sets in an earlier match on centre court that ran to over four hours.

Tiley has insisted that giving the green light for the midnight start was the right thing to do, although the decision has been widely criticised in the media.

Cleopatra
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Federer is quickly catching up to Pete as my most despised male player.

Tennisation
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:49 PM
fedtard needs to shut the fuck up, if it wasn't for his sorry ass who's struggling to win his match, this wouldn't have happened.

xr6turbo
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
fedtard needs to shut the fuck up, if it wasn't for his sorry ass who's struggling to win his match, this wouldn't have happened.
LOL so true.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM

If you want to put any blame on anyone for that match it's EVERYONE.

Because EVERYONE put Novak, Ivanovic, and Jankovic on a pedestal last year and just totally forgot about Tipsy.

So when he had his chance to shine, guess what he did?
He shone.

Now everyone knows who he is and he didn't get the sponserships like the other three so they could leave and then come back.
He had to work hard to get to where he is.

plantman
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM
So both Roger and Venus have spoken. Now it's time for changes to be made....end of story!

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM
Completely fair comments from Federer. What would have been the big deal if Venus and Sania had to play on Vodafone? I don't get why they were so opposed to it.

plantman
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM

Because EVERYONE put Novak, Ivanovic, and Jankovic on a pedestal last year and just totally forgot about Tipsy.

He shone.

That he did!:bounce::bounce:

up!
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:56 PM
who is federer ? he's not organizing the tournament so shut up ! yet i'm a lleyton fan.

Kart
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM
Roger remains the diplomat as always.

I fail to understand how his comments could upset anyone.

Tennisation
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM
Completely fair comments from Federer. What would have been the big deal if Venus and Sania had to play on Vodafone? I don't get why they were so opposed to it.why wouldn't it be a big deal? They were waiting all day for Fedtard to finish his match and if they were moved to Vodafone, they still have to continue waiting because the match over at Vodafone hasn't finished yet.

moon
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM
no disrepect to Fed (who I love), but I doubt he's been asked or will be asked to move his match.

new-york
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM

He shone.

Now everyone knows who he is and he didn't get the sponserships like the other three so they could leave and then come back.
He had to work hard to get to where he is.

lolz, you don't answer, but nice way to stand up for Tispy.:hearts:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM

I don't either but you know how it is.
Any comment that even hints anything against Venus, there's an uproar from a certain portion of crazed fans.

SharapovaFan16
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Federer is the man, haha.

frontier
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:01 PM
His arrogence is amazing and his true colours are showing .I hope Djoko beat the BS out of him.
I am wondering if he has been asked many times to move as Venus ,if I were Roger I will be happy that I won that match and mind my own business.He is so arrogant to think he is the moral authority over every player.

Cleopatra
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
I not sure what tournament, but didn't Fed ask for a Tuesday start instead of a Monday and get it? This seems like another way to downplay the importance of Women's sport.

xr6turbo
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Completely fair comments from Federer. What would have been the big deal if Venus and Sania had to play on Vodafone? I don't get why they were so opposed to it.
If they moved it was be shit for the fans too because you can't get into vodafone with an RLA ticket. Like tennis nation said, there was already a match going on voda when federer finished, Venus and Mirza were ready and they didn't want to wait longer when they could go and play right away.

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM
Why can't they cut down men's tennis to 3 sets?

Kart
Any comment that even hints anything against Venus, there's an uproar from a certain portion of crazed fans.
Or in this case, even a comment that doesn't hint anything against Venus :tape:.

You're right though, I should know how it is around here by now.

Marcell

There was a men's match going on on Vodofone and Venus and Sania would have had to wait until they were finish in order to play.Also, both Venus and Sania had doubles and mix-doubles match later that day.The organizers should have done a better job with the schedule and not have the players have to make that decision.

plantman
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=frontier;12360616]His arrogence is amazing and his true colours are showing .I hope Djoko beat the BS out of him.
I am wondering if he has been asked many times to move as Venus ,if I were Roger I will be happy that I won that match and mind my own business. He is so arrogant to think he is the moral authority over every player.

How many times has Venus been asked to move?

Venus+Serena#1fan
I don't think people should hate or attack Roger due to this, I personally fully believe he is wrong and Vee and Sania did well to stand up for what they wanted.

not a big deal to me really.

Babolatpro880
His arrogence is amazing and his true colours are showing .I hope Djoko beat the BS out of him.
I am wondering if he has been asked many times to move as Venus ,if I were Roger I will be happy that I won that match and mind my own business.He is so arrogant to think he is the moral authority over every player.

How many times exactly?

thiskidhasit
I don't think Federer said anything wrong. It was just a bad situation all the way around. They should start the session earlier though, just like Federer said. And I don't think it was wrong that Venus and Sania didn't want to move. It would have made the tournament run a lot easier, but evidently they felt like their match was more important than the allowing the tournament to run more smoothly as a whole. That's fine, that's their choice. But it's over.... bring on the QF matches!

And I don't think it's a sexist issue at all. Bottom line, it IS Australia... everyone was there to watch Lleyton. If there was a great Australian woman player who was scheduled to play the late night match, they still would have asked Venus to move.

sammy01
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:05 PM
why didn't they ask hewit vs baggy to move they were the last match. the thing that annoys me is the fact that venus and sania were next match on and obviously waiting for fed to finish, where as hewit and baggy new there was another match before them so they could have told them look in 40 mins you will be on the vodafone court. fed realy is a dick here as his every whim is catered for by all the tennis tournaments and officials, they probably wouldn't have even dared to ask him to move court. oh and his comments on playing on the vodafone court are annoying how many matches has he played on there this year?

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM
I not sure what tournament, but didn't Fed ask for a Tuesday start instead of a Monday and get it? This seems like another way to downplay the importance of Women's sport.

If I could give a bad rep right now, I would.
I'm all out of reps at the time though but give me two hours.

Lindsay Davenport has asked for late starts at slams.
Sharapova has asked for late starts at slams.

If you are injured and happen to be a top player on the men's AND women's tour, the slams have gone about trying to their best of ability to do so.

StarDuvallGrant
So the option to move was there, why not move the men to that other court and avoid the late start?

canuckfan

Oh shut up.

He was asked a question. He answered.

Black Mamba.
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM
If I were Venus I'd do the exact same thing. No one is going to look out for you unless you look out for yourself.

K-Dog
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:09 PM

The reason that it makes sense for Venus and Sania to request Rod Laver probably had more to do with the fact that both ladies are involved in singles, doubles, and Sania is involved in the mixed as well. They are more involved in this tournament than either Lleyton or Marcos. Also, if they would've had to switch to Vodafone, they wouldn't have started until 11:00 pm or later themselves because they had to wait out the Berdych/Monaco match that went 4 sets. Venus is no fool and is not letting what happened with her quarterfinal at the USO last year happen again. She is not going to be change at some tournament director's whim. If anything, why not play the Hewitt match on Vodafone? It was a match between the #19 seed and #15 seed. Venus is the # 8 seed at this event. Forget that Hewitt is Australian for one second.

Sylwiiia
Oh Roger yeah ...:tape:

Babolatpro880
If I were Venus I'd do the exact same thing. No one is going to look out for you unless you look out for yourself.

I think that's a little overdramatic. They asked her to switch courts they didn't threaten to kill her.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM
So the option to move was there, why not move the men to that other court and avoid the late start?

Because it would be like asking Tim Henman to move to court 1 at Wimbledon in his prime because Venus is playing Nathalie Tauziat.
The biggest match for the Australians should be on the biggest court just as the biggest match for the Americans at the US Open should be on Arthur Ashe.

You wouldn't expect preferential treatment for an Aussie at the US Open, so why would you think they would go out their way of doing so for an American at the Australian Open?

Again I defend Venus for not moving for that asshole but don't expect for them to not do this when the same thing would happen at the US Open for an American.

PatrickRyan
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:12 PM
Why couldn't the Hewitt and Baghdatis match move to Vadafone? Men's tennis is no more important than women's!

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:13 PM
Why couldn't the Hewitt and Baghdatis match move to Vadafone? Men's tennis is no more important than women's!

It has nothing to do with that.
Read my post above you.

santhuruu
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
why wouldn't it be a big deal? They were waiting all day for Fedtard to finish his match and if they were moved to Vodafone, they still have to continue waiting because the match over at Vodafone hasn't finished yet.

Exactly, Federer needed to check all the facts before commenting on that situation. It is right that both Venus and Sania were then supposed to wait if they were scheduled for Vodafone Arena as well. And besides, Federer is not playing doubles, while Venus is playing womens doubles, and Sania plays both singles, women doubles and mixed doubles. While Hewitt and I also think Bagdatis didn't enter doubles action. I think Venus is totally right, stick to the schedule, cause that is what the organizers gave them in the first place. And a promise is a promise if you are supposed to play on Rod Laver Arena first at night, then you are the one who owns the right to do that. And by the way if you think Federer is a diplomat, he should have just said, well that is not my bussiness or something like that.

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
Bitches should have moved courts. But, it helped getting Hewitt out, so it's all good.

PatrickRyan
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM
Venus and Sania had been waiting all day to play and their turn was up next. Why should they move to another could that still had a match going on and they would have had to wait even longer to play, or not at all. Especially since both of them were entered in Doubles or Mix Doubles.

Polikarpov
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM
I actually think that the comments made by Roger were fair.

I believe that the majority of the Aussies came there to see Lleyton so if there was a change of schedule and venue, it would have to be the Venus - Sania match.

I wouldn't blame Roger for not disposing Janko in three sets because I enjoyed every bit of that match.

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM
Wow so many idiotic comments.

LMAO at moving Hewitt vs. Marcos to Vodafone. The night session crowd waits for hour to watch THE match and then they are told "You will get Venus vs. Sania then you can go home". Yeah right. They would have torn down Rod Laver Arena.

Some people have NO grasp of reality. They just blabber out whatever comes to their empty minds. No brain on display.

Moving the Venus match was the only possible option to avoid what happened, a 4.30 am finish.

new-york
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
the thing is that they didn't refuse to move, they answered no to an open question.

Black Mamba.
I think that's a little overdramatic. They asked her to switch courts they didn't threaten to kill her.

You completely misunderstood what I said. Vee and Sania both had other matches to play the following day. The match on the other court wasn't done yet. In a sport that's so individualistic you have to look out for yourself and make choices that are in your best interest. The tournament made the choice of putting the Hewitt match in the evening for $$$ and it backfired on them. They did what was best for them and Vee did the same.

Wannabeknowitall
Exactly, Federer needed to check all the facts before commenting on that situation. It is right that both Venus and Sania were then supposed to wait if they were scheduled for Vodafone Arena as well. And besides, Federer is not playing doubles, while Venus is playing womens doubles, and Sania plays both singles, women doubles and mixed doubles. While Hewitt and I also think Bagdatis didn't enter doubles action. I think Venus is totally right, stick to the schedule, cause that is what the organizers gave them in the first place. And a promise is a promise if you are supposed to play on Rod Laver Arena first at night, then you are the one who owns the right to do that. And by the way if you think Federer is a diplomat, he should have just said, well that is not my bussiness or something like that.

This is a tournament. The only promise they need to make is that the tournament will end on schedule. :lol:
There's no we must make all the players and fans happy policy for any of the slams. :lol:
If there was, then each of the other slams would have put up a roof YEARS ago.

So the same people who said that Venus isn't pushing herself for taking on doubles are now trying to use it as a reason for why Venus should have stayed on the main court.
If it wasn't a strain on her then why would taking 15 minutes to move be a big deal?

And Federer has a right to comment.
I think all of us underestimating Tipsarevic game is the reason why there's an issue in the first place.

vwfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:28 PM
fedtard needs to shut the fuck up, if it wasn't for his sorry ass who's struggling to win his match, this wouldn't have happened.:worship: sometimes "no comment" is he appropriate comment.

Fidello
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:29 PM
Venus is a selfish bitch with the racism card always sticking from her sleeve. That reporters question was spot on. However, I'm glad that she has fans like you.

Tennisation
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
This is a tournament. The only promise they need to make is that the tournament will end on schedule. :lol:
There's no we must make all the players and fans happy policy for any of the slams. :lol:
If there was, then each of the other slams would have put up a roof YEARS ago.

So the same people who said that Venus isn't pushing herself for taking on doubles are now trying to use it as a reason for why Venus should have stayed on the main court.
If it wasn't a strain on her then why would taking 15 minutes to move be a big deal?

And Federer has a right to comment.
I think all of us underestimating Tipsarevic game is the reason why there's an issue in the first place.check ur facts before u speak, do u think she didn't want to move cuz it would take her 15 mins to move to a diff arena? Do you know what the hell is going on over at Vodafone? It's not just an empty stadium waiting as a backup:rolleyes:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
Fed should keep his nose OUT of it. I bet there are times when he'd say "no" to tournament organizers too! Venus and Sania obviously had their reasons for saying no if they argued about it for 20 minutes! It should be up to the tournament organizers to arrange the scheduling right to begin with!

Its the organizers fault in my opinion, because who arranges a schedule so that a third match could possibly begin at 12 midnight anyway?!!! Didn't they learn from the US Open Super Saturday years ago? If matches can run to the max time they likely will, so plan for that before scheduling them.

Didn't they have a pre-arranged plan knowing that the men could run that late?

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM
You completely misunderstood what I said. Vee and Sania both had other matches to play the following day. The match on the other court wasn't done yet. In a sport that's so individualistic you have to look out for yourself and make choices that are in your best interest. The tournament made the choice of putting the Hewitt match in the evening for $$$ and it backfired on them. They did what was best for them and Vee did the same.

And the US Open doesn't try to make money?
At least the Australian Open allows you to bring something to eat from outside in their arena areas.

I'm sorry but at this point I'm going to have to say it's hypocritical to ask of the Australian Open to do something that not even your home slam considers.

When the US Open acts like it has MORE sense than the Australian Open then you have the right to complain. Until then deal with your home tournament being the biggest money grubbers of all the slams.

~{X}~
When was the last time Federer was asked to have his match move?

And wasn't it him, "the Prince" who asked for a Tuesday evening start to organizers and they granted it to him, bending over backwards for him. So I'm sure he shouldn't have a say for anything, because if they moved his ass to Vodafone arena for once, he might even be insulted, because you know deep down his ego is as big as anyone's, anywhere.

xr6turbo

LMAO at moving Hewitt vs. Marcos to Vodafone. The night session crowd waits for hour to watch THE match and then they are told "You will get Venus vs. Sania then you can go home". Yeah right. They would have torn down Rod Laver Arena.

Some people have NO grasp of reality. They just blabber out whatever comes to their empty minds. No brain on display.

Moving the Venus match was the only possible option to avoid what happened, a 4.30 am finish.

Venus and Sania wanted to play on Rod Laver, as was scheduled, the day session went late so the matches started later. Tough luck, shit happens.

Go play roulette or something.

Infiniti2001
Venus is a selfish bitch with the racism card always sticking from her sleeve. That reporters question was spot on. However, I'm glad that she has fans like you.

and I think fidello is a dumbfuck who enjoys spewing crap :lol:

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
Venus and Sania wanted to play on Rod Laver, as was scheduled, the day session went late so the matches started later. Tough luck, shit happens.

:lol:I think he has been in rehab :rolls:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
When was the last time Federer was asked to have his match move?

And wasn't it him, "the Prince" who asked for a Tuesday evening start to organizers and they granted it to him, bending over backwards for him. So I'm sure he shouldn't have a say for anything, because if they moved his ass to Vodafone arena for once, he might even be insulted, because you know deep down his ego is as big as anyone's, anywhere.

Last year at Wimbledon. :lol:
The schedule was clogged so he was moved to Court 1 and he won.

And I've already shown examples in which the slams have bent over backwards for women top players as well.

Warrior
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:34 PM
Men's matches are simply longer that women's. That's why Venus/Sania should've moved. Moving to a different court is not a big deal Now there is equal prize money, but men have to play more sets. At least show them some respect.

PatrickRyan
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Anyways it was Roger's fault for playing like shit and going 5 sets :lol:

Black Mamba.
And the US Open doesn't try to make money?
At least the Australian Open allows you to bring something to eat from outside in their arena areas.

I'm sorry but at this point I'm going to have to say it's hypocritical to ask of the Australian Open to do something that not even your home slam considers.

When the US Open acts like it has MORE sense than the Australian Open then you have the right to complain. Until then deal with your home tournament being the biggest money grubbers of all the slams.

Who's even talking about the US Open?

vwfan
Completely fair comments from Federer. What would have been the big deal if Venus and Sania had to play on Vodafone? I don't get why they were so opposed to it.i think Venus has explained quite eloquently why. it's not like vodafone was free, there was another match there and she and sania were both playing doubles. it was quite a reasonable position. they asked. she gave her opinion.

~{X}~
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:37 PM
I'm no fan of Roger Federer, just as I was no fan of Pete Sampras. And I do see Federer going the way of Sampras more and more. Except its even worse, Sampras wasn't monopolizing the Grand Slams every year. It wasn't nearly as dull.

But I've said my piece and I am moving on, no need to argue on something thats a few days old now!

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:37 PM
I'm sure switching the men to 3 sets will be taken into consideration after this :lol:

alfonsojose
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Very dissapointing from Venus and Sania. Hewitt is the local guy and this is not about sex or race.

harloo

Fed asked for a night match because he wasn't "feeling well". I guess tournament organizers should bend over backwards for him but not the women. I see right through all that diplomacy bull when it comes to Fed. He's a great player but if anyone think he isn't arrogant their delusional. Maybe if he didn't play like an amateur against Tippy he wouldn't be in a five set marathon. I seriously thought Fed was going home.:lol:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ

Fidello, you are showing a complete lack of class along with your OWN PERSONAL prejudices with your comments. I'm sure you don't know Venus, as she wouldn't have a friend who thinks as you do. I know that I don't have friends like you.

QUEENLINDSAY
Lleyton has the very right to be in Rod Laver even in anyones's expense as Roddick does in Arthur Ashe.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Who's even talking about the US Open?

It doesn't matter. You're asking something of a tournament that not even your home slam would consider and you find nothing wrong with that?

That should be the issue. :lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Lleyton has the very right to be in Rod Laver even in anyones's expense as Roddick does in Arthur Ashe.

Thank You.
Someone with some sense.
And Venus and Serena get that preferential treatment as well.
Can anyone recall the last time Venus or Serena played in anything less than Arthur Ashe at the US Open?

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wcT5h8PXxg This is a good enough for me, and I would feel the same if the player I despised the most did the same.

vwfan
[QUOTE=frontier;12360616]His arrogence is amazing and his true colours are showing .I hope Djoko beat the BS out of him.
I am wondering if he has been asked many times to move as Venus ,if I were Roger I will be happy that I won that match and mind my own business. He is so arrogant to think he is the moral authority over every player.

last grand slam; qf match with Jelena! :rolleyes: recent enough?

GoDominique
I'm sure switching the men to 3 sets will be taken into consideration after this :lol:
And I'm sure you are even dumber than I thought. :lol:

Let's see who turns out to be right. :)

Fidello
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
and I think fidello is a dumbfuck who enjoys spewing crap :lol:Well, you're wrong about me and I'm right about Vanus

Tennisation
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM
why ya'll bitching about Leyton deserving to be on RLA? He DID play on RLA

Infiniti2001

I don't think anyone said he shouldn't have that right, but he should have to wait to get oncourt just like those in front of him.

Black Mamba.
It doesn't matter. You're asking something of a tournament that not even your home slam would consider and you find nothing wrong with that?

That should be the issue. :lol:

Your reading comprehension is lacking. Venus was asked to move she said no end of story. She was looking out for herself which is something she has the right to do. Your rant about the US Open in response to my comments makes no sense.

GoDominique

Typical Williams sisters/fans thinking. Who cares about others, all that matters is me.
Venus has nothing on Roger in accomplishments, she and her fans should get off their high horses. She is a non-factor at this point.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM
...they asked. she gave her opinion.

Well said. That's the bottom line. They gave Venus and Sania a CHOICE, and they exercised the right to make it. Had the organizers wanted to move them, they should have given them no choice. Since they did, that's it!

This is a grand slam, not a "local" tournament, so Hewitt being a local boy means nothing here. American's would have to do what the organizers say in New York just as the French have to abide in Paris and the English have to abide by organizers and the schedule at Wimbledon. If it had worked for everybody involved, it would have. As it stood, it didn't. End of story. Fed just lost me as a fan (not that I liked his Metroness anyway).

brodle1
The organizers should have done a better job with the schedule and not have the players have to make that decision.

This I agree with. Plenty of other "lower ranked" players matches are moved, rescheduled, delayed, etc. without a single word from the players...why the organizers allow others players to dictate the schedule is beyond me, and quite frankly, a mistake. I don't care if the player is Mirza, Williams, Federer, Hewitt, or otherwise...the schedule quite frankly should not be up to them. They are getting PAID a HUGE sum of money to hit a ball back and forth over a net, and while I do love the game - a game is all that it is - and therefore their ability to show up and play when they are told is their job and they should just do it. Everyone else on Earth has to deal with job rescheduling now and again and we certainly don't always get what we want - these people should be no different.

I mean is the Aus Open really worried that if they piss off a player due to scheduling that they are going to skip it next year? I don't see that as a very viable threat, in which case the organizers hold the cards. Allowing players to set their schedule is ridiculous...in all aspects and not just this one. You always here commentators saying "Player X requested the first match of the day" which is fine if a request is all that it is.

Il Primo!
It's all because of his flat ass. This guys annoys the hell out of me.

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Your reading comprehension is lacking. Venus was asked to move she said no end of story. She was looking out for herself which is something she has the right to do.
Correct. It only makes her look bad.
But don't worry, it's just like the third time she has managed to that during this tournament. :lol:

Anyone who uses the words "Venus" and "classy" in the same sentence at this point ought to be shot.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM
I don't think anyone said he shouldn't have that right, but he should have to wait to get oncourt just like those in front of him.

They have done the same thing at the US Open when the day matches have gone into the night, men's and women's matches.
If you want change then all the slams should agree on this issue.
Don't just go after the Australian Open.

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:46 PM
Typical Williams sisters/fans thinking. Who cares about others, all that matters is me.
Venus has nothing on Roger in accomplishments, she and her fans should get off their high horses. She is a non-factor at this point.

How are you any different from Williams sisters/fans with this response? :weirdo:

Olórin
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM

Venus is a non-factor? What a stupid thing to say, that's just not factually true...she is the centre of attention, though not at her own behest, as per usual :rolleyes:

And why relate this to Venus and Federer's accomplishments, can you only reason this one out with stats? Federer has 12>6 therefore his word is final?

theDreamer
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:49 PM
i think Venus has explained quite eloquently why. it's not like vodafone was free, there was another match there and she and sania were both playing doubles. it was quite a reasonable position. they asked. she gave her opinion.

I bet they didn't tell him about the fact that the vodafone wasn't free when they were
asking fed.

Even so, he gave his opinion, and did so in a diplomatic manner.
No need to call him arrogant because of that.

And he asked for a tuesday start because of his ilness earlier in the year (that prevented
him from playing kooyong) - seems like a reasonable request and it also seems reasonable
that the organisers granted him that request given his standing in the sport.

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:49 PM
Very dissapointing from Venus and Sania. Hewitt is the local guy and this is not about sex or race.

If the subjects of race and sex were brought into discussion, they weren't brought in by Venus. The only thing that has been proven as a fact is she (and Sania) said no.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:50 PM
And thats where the issue is. He played until 4:30 AM because he needs to be in center court.
Venus was asked to be moved to Vodafone and I dont see anthing wrong in that. Venus says no and its her prerogative also as I dont know her schedule is, playing in doubles too.
All in all, Federer sums it all up for us. He is the mighty Federer ( the greatest player of all time) and he said he has no problem being moved to another court but I think the paying public had a say on that as they payed to see Federer.
Schedule was perfect until mother earth strikes so something has to be set in priority and in my opinion, the order of importance in RLA should be Hewwit, Federer and then Venus.
Having said all that, I dont think Venus is trying to be a star and being a diva out there. She just wants the best for herself in this slam and I can't blame her for that.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
I bet they didn't tell him about the fact that the vodafone wasn't free when they were
asking fed.

Even so, he gave his opinion, and did so in a diplomatic manner.
No need to call him arrogant because of that.

And he asked for a tuesday start because of his ilness earlier in the year (that prevented
him from playing kooyong) - seems like a reasonable request and it also seems reasonable
that the organisers granted him that request given his standing in the sport.

Agreed. And again he's not the only one who has requested late starts.
Many of the top women have done it as well after an injury during the warm up season.

Tennisation
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
Correct. It only makes her look bad.
But don't worry, it's just like the third time she has managed to that during this tournament. :lol:

Anyone who uses the words "Venus" and "classy" in the same sentence at this point ought to be shot.I think u ought to be shot, ur not allowed to a word (classy) that you don't understand.

Nemo_Kool
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
Fair enough but Venus AND Sania were well within their rights to decline the offer. Yes, and Australian was playing but so what? the scheduling has been made to be followed and if it wasn't enough of a wait for everyone after the Fed match, Venus and Sania were already preparing/prepared to go on court and why should they wait for a match which took another hour to finish? Wouldn't that of put them in the same problem albeit less extreme position that Lleyton and Marco were put in?

Helaena
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
it's all your fault fed, it's all your fault...you couldn't finish your match immediately....oh how i wish tipsy won that then you couldn't even say a word about it....:tape:

no but serioulsly, i think venus and sania have a point also, they were scheduled to rod laver, they have every right to stay there no matter what...

but, if it were me, i wouldn't mind either moving to vodaphone...

but what's the fuss about this whole thing anyway? hewitt and marcos gave a good match and both gave a good fight, everyone's happy...they even made history out there so... :yeah:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM
They have done the same thing at the US Open when the day matches have gone into the night, men's and women's matches.
If you want change then all the slams should agree on this issue.
Don't just go after the Australian Open.

IF the organizers move it and its understood that the players have no choice, then so be it. But in this case, they ASKED Venus and Sania and they said no!

Perhaps the GS should have a policy of not asking. Now, players have done their other players favors in the past, we all know that. I remember Chris Evert asking for her match to be postponed a day twice at the Open because she had either Flu or food poisoning (she was sick a lot at the US Open). Both times the player accomodated her, but they didn't have too! It was a courtesy they did for her, just as she surely had done in her time. But had they asked her to move from Center Court to a court that didn't benefit her or her schedule because the matches ran long, I bet she would have said no too. Had she had the CHOICE.

This isn't Venus' or Sania's fault. They were given a choice and they exercised it to their benefit.

Too bad for Hewitt and Baggy, but the bottom line is both men are still alive. It wasn't life or death. They can go on and make the best of things. They're professional athletes. I'm sick of all of the bellyaching about them being tired. Go to bed and replenish. They know a GS can be physically demanding for many reasons, INCLUDING the schedule. It was unfortunate for Hewitt, but he can take lemons and make lemonade, or be a baby and not let it go but continue to b*tch about it along with this fans.

theDreamer
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM
I'm no fan of Roger Federer, just as I was no fan of Pete Sampras. And I do see Federer going the way of Sampras more and more. Except its even worse, Sampras wasn't monopolizing the Grand Slams every year. It wasn't nearly as dull.

But I've said my piece and I am moving on, no need to argue on something thats a few days old now!

:lol: you're blaming federer for being good enough to win so many slams.

hating at its highest or should i say lowest.

serenus_2k8
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Venus doesnt have to do what ANYONE says. She shows who was boss and rightfully so :)

Dave.
I personally think Venus and Sania should have waited a bit longer to get on Vodafone, but at the time they didn't know how much longer they would have to wait so I can understand why they went ahead with RLA. If Vodafone was free aswell, then they should have definetely been moved, but since there was a match there, I think Venus and Sania made a good decision.

The real problem is men's tennis taking up too much of the schedule. I would much rather watch Williams v Mirza than Hewitt v Baghdatis. 5 sets definetely needs to be reduced to 3 sets. Men's tennis is as boring as hell and, especially with 5 sets, is the main cause of these type of problems.

Fidello
90% of the time when you're WS fan is spent explaining and justifying their bad behavior on and off court to us non-fans, and 10% is actually spent enjoying their game. At least on wtaworld

DaMamaJama87
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM
Pardon my French but what the F*#K does any of this have to do with him? It isn't his business and he shouldn't go around offering "advice" where it's not wanted. He should've just said "It's not my issue so I won't comment" instead of preaching like some sort of authority on what's right and moral. You just know that if he were in the same situation, the organizers wouldn't ever dare ask him to move courts. They ought to have given Venus and Sania that same respect and realized how braindead they'd been to schedule Hewitt's match so late and moved that one to Vodafone so that it could start earlier. But no, how could they ever think of moving a men's match? that would just be outrageous, but the second class citizens of tennis (the wta players) should be expected to change courts at the drop of the hat by the organizers.

This really gets me ticked!

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM
Venus doesnt have to do what ANYONE says. She shows who was boss and rightfully so :)
Anorther example for the wonderful attitude I was talking about.

Truly disgusting. At least she has some kind of reason to be arrogant but her fans? LOL. How fucking lame.

PatrickRyan
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM
I don't see why Venus is getting all the flack for this, it was BOTH Her and Sanias' decision. And Hewitt said that it wasn't the reason for his loss and he doesn't seem to be upset about it. Everyone needs to move on.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:59 PM
And thats where the issue is. He played until 4:30 AM because he needs to be in center court.

Why does HE need to be on centre court? Will Hewitt up and croak if he's moved to another court? This isn't about hometown or their tournament, this is about a international level GRAND SLAM! It shouldn't favor a home town player. IT should be fair to all of the players.

Wannabeknowitall

Why does it have to be about money?
Why couldn't it just be that it was their time to play a night match.

I honestly enjoy seeing Serena and Venus playing night matches at the US Open.
Sometimes I hope they play all their matches in the night. :lol:

So why wouldn't you think that the Australians wouldn't feel that same way about their favorite player?

spartanfan
My question is why didn't the tournament just move Hewitt's match to vodafone, and it would have started before Venus/Sania match had finished. Or better yet the tournament knew the men's match was going to start late and would not finish quickly, they should have just moved it to the next day. Simple as that. If the tournament expects the players to stick to the schedule that the tournament lays out, the players should be able to expect the same from the tournament. Like Venus said her match was just as important as the Hewitt's match.

Tennisation
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
90% of the time when you're WS fan is spent explaining and justifying their bad behavior on and off court to us non-fans, and 10% is actually spent enjoying their game. At least on wtaworldthat's because 90% of non-fans like u are idiots and it takes a lot of work to try & explain things to you, but that's ok, because those 90% of WS fan have patience and do stand up for themselves.

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:03 PM
My question is why didn't the tournament just move Hewitt's match to vodafone, and it would have started before Venus/Sania match had finished. Or better yet the tournament knew the men's match was going to start late and would not finish quickly, they should have just moved it to the next day. Simple as that. If the tournament expects the players to stick to the schedule that the tournament lays out, the players should be able to expect the same from the tournament. Like Venus said her match was just as important as the Hewitt's match.
Are you really that dense? Wow. Just amazing.

Night Session. Extra tickets that people have bought to watch TENNIS, not a 50-minutes women's drubbing.

The organisers have a responsibility for their customers, you know.

Venus' match was pointless in that context compared to Hewitt's. People will settle for a single match if it's a men's match, but certainly not if all they're getting is the fucking Venus Williams.

komodo
10000 people or more, I dont know how big the Rod Laver arena is, were sitting in that stadium waiting for Hewitt vs Baghdatis, and you ask why they didn't move that match to Vodaphone?

Get it together boy!

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Pardon my French but what the F*#K does any of this have to do with him? It isn't his business and he shouldn't go around offering "advice" where it's not wanted. He should've just said "It's not my issue so I won't comment" instead of preaching like some sort of authority on what's right and moral.

Exactly! This isn't the first time his Fedness has stuck his nose where it doesn't belong.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:04 PM
10000 people or more, I dont know how big the Rod Laver arena is, were sitting in that stadium waiting for Hewitt vs Baghdatis, and you ask why they didn't move that match to Vodaphone?

Get it together boy!

So NONE Of them were there for Venus v Sania? And you know this how?

HippityHop
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
I personally think Venus and Sania should have waited a bit longer to get on Vodafone, but at the time they didn't know how much longer they would have to wait so I can understand why they went ahead with RLA. If Vodafone was free aswell, then they should have definetely been moved, but since there was a match there, I think Venus and Sania made a good decision.

The real problem is men's tennis taking up too much of the schedule. I would much rather watch Williams v Mirza than Hewitt v Baghdatis. 5 sets definetely needs to be reduced to 3 sets. Men's tennis is as boring as hell and, especially with 5 sets, is the main cause of these type of problems.

Absolutely. Then the men would have to come out playing serious tennis from the git go. In 2 of 3, if you lose the first two sets your ass is gone. The women don't have the luxury of losing two sets.

If the women have that kind of pressure, why shouldn't the men?

Olórin
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
90% of the time when you're WS fan is spent explaining and justifying their bad behavior on and off court to us non-fans, and 10% is actually spent enjoying their game. At least on wtaworld

And thus you make your statement null and void. How can we enjoy their game on WTAW? We enjoy their game by watching it. Isn't the point of WTAW to talk about tennis, results etc. with other fans and see what they think. It's difficult admittedly with so many haters.

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Why does HE need to be on centre court? Will Hewitt up and croak if he's moved to another court? This isn't about hometown or their tournament, this is about a international level GRAND SLAM! It shouldn't favor a home town player. IT should be fair to all of the players.
Tell that to the US Open organisers. :lol:

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM
Absolutely. Then the men would have to come out playing serious tennis from the git go. In 2 of 3, if you lose the first two sets your ass is gone. The women don't have the luxury of losing two sets.

If the women have that kind of pressure, why shouldn't the men?
Yes what an amazing luxury. :weirdo:

Cleopatra
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:08 PM
If I could give a bad rep right now, I would.
I'm all out of reps at the time though but give me two hours.

Lindsay Davenport has asked for late starts at slams.
Sharapova has asked for late starts at slam
If you are injured and happen to be a top player on the men's AND women's tour, the slams have gone about trying to their best of ability to do so.
You like giving bad reps to people of who have strong opinons? Yep, your an idoit!

komodo
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:08 PM
It was in Australia, so chances are that a very, very, VERY vast majority wanted to see Lleyton play.
So you can just drop the "they should have moved Hewitt to Vodaphone" argument from the equation as it just shows that you don't know what's acually going on.

spiritedenergy
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:09 PM
Roger gives his opinion on the ATP/WTA court scheduling....(credit to onewoman74 from Menstennisforums)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080121/sp_wl_afp/tennisopenausfederernight_080121095225;_ylt=Anv2Ny P.gFDOD7NZzYXrgz5Mz7QF

Women's tennis match should have moved to avoid midnight farce: Federer

by Robert Smith Mon Jan 21, 4:52 AM ET

MELBOURNE (AFP) - Roger Federer says a women's match should have been moved on centre court to prevent the farcical circumstances that led to the latest finish in Grand Slam history at the Australian Open.

Ramifications continued Monday over the organisers' decision to schedule a midnight start to a third round match between former finalists Lleyton Hewitt and Marcos Baghdatis that ended at 4:33am (1733 GMT) Sunday.

Hewitt won in five sets in four and three-quarter hours, giving his fourth round opponent, third seed Novak Djokovic, the benefit of an extra night's rest.

Tournament director Craig Tiley said he had consulted with Venus Williams and Sania Mirza on the possibility of moving their preceding match off centre court to allow for an earlier start to the men's match, but they refused.

The Herald Sun newspaper claimed Williams and Mirza were involved in an 25-minute "running row" with Tiley over the issue.

Federer, who with 12 Grand Slams is ranked by some as the greatest player of all-time, was asked, hypothetically, at a press conference if he would have moved his match if he had been requested to do so in a similar situation.

"I'm a pretty relaxed guy. Look, I don't ask for much in tournaments. If I ask for something they (organisers) know it's for real and they trust me, whatever," he said.

"But if they would come and tell me, 'You've got to move'. Honestly, I think the players shouldn't have too much of a say.

"We're happy to be playing here and we're happy they're putting us on Rod Laver Arena. Is it bad to be on Vodafone Arena? I don't think so. It's still a wonderful court.

"I'm not going after the ladies, I'm just saying I would be pretty relaxed and I would accept anything they would have done with me really at that stage.

"Really it happens so rarely that sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and you have to go through those things."

Federer said he also advocates an earlier start to night session matches to minimise the possibility of early morning finishes which disadvantage winners for their ensuing matches.

"I think we should maybe start the night sessions an hour earlier," he said.

"Instead of 7:30pm, why not 6:30pm? I'm not the mastermind behind everything. But I do agree sometimes the matches do start too late for us.

"That's what you get when you want to put women's and men's matches at the same time."

The reason matches at Melbourne Park start at 7.30pm is primarily to satisfy television interests.

Williams was reluctant to answer questions on the issue Monday, but defended the decision not to move her match off centre court.

"I think it wasn't just me. It was Sania Mirza also. Both of us wanted to play our match as scheduled, which is a normal thing to want," she said.

"So I think the tournament did a good job of recognizing the schedule. Everyone was dealing with the circumstances, all of the players, not just one. So we all did the best that we could."

Hewitt's match was running so late on Saturday because Federer was unexpectedly taken to five sets in an earlier match on centre court that ran to over four hours.

Tiley has insisted that giving the green light for the midnight start was the right thing to do, although the decision has been widely criticised in the media.

:worship:

Sorry Venus, your're a champion and everything, but take out that stick out of your ass!:tape:

spartanfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:14 PM
Federer would have gone ape shitt if they had asked him to move his match because the Venus/Sania match had gone 90 minutes longer than expected and they wanted to put Hewitt on the court first instead. The request by the tournament was insulting at best to the women. Like Venus said her match was just as important as Hewitt's. Venus' match was less than 90 minutes, at that rate Hewitt would have still been playing tennis at 3am in the morning. They should have just pushed Hewitt's match back til the next day.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM
Hubby says, if Roger is so kind, perhaps he should have foreseen a 5 setter in his own match, and let Hewitt play in his time alotted place instead! ;)!

spartanfan
What other professional sports starts at 11:47PM? It's the tournaments fault plain and simple.

cancelled1
You know it's too bad Janko didn't win:devil:
Anyway, Venus and Mirza did not refuse to move.
They were given a CHOICE. I'm sure if they were told they had to move they would not have agreed with the decision but would have. So I blame the tournament organizers for not putting their foot down for their beloved Lleyton and telling the ladies they HAD TO change courts.

Fidello
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
that's because 90% of non-fans like u are idiots and it takes a lot of work to try & explain things to you, but that's ok, because those 90% of WS fan have patience and do stand up for themselves.Did you just said that 90% non-WS fans are idiots?

serenus_2k8
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
I would love to see some of u haters in this situation :lol:

Its not Venus' responsibility to make up for a late finishing match. I mean any slight chance to attack a WS and everyone just pounces. Venus deserved to have her schedule kept how it was. End of!

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Federer would have gone ape shitt if they had asked him to move his match because the Venus/Sania match had gone 90 minutes longer than expected and they wanted to put Hewitt on the court first instead. The request by the tournament was insulting at best to the women. Like Venus said her match was just as important as Hewitt's. Venus' match was less than 90 minutes, at that rate Hewitt would have still been playing tennis at 3am in the morning. They should have just pushed Hewitt's match back til the next day.
Please stop posting. Now.

spartanfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
It was in Australia, so chances are that a very, very, VERY vast majority wanted to see Lleyton play.
So you can just drop the "they should have moved Hewitt to Vodaphone" argument from the equation as it just shows that you don't know what's acually going on.
And the people in Australia could have seen Hewitt on VOdaphone, Its not like he hasn't played there before.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:18 PM
You like giving bad reps to people of who have strong opinons?

No I only give bad reps to ignorant people like yourself, who try to bring on a controversy that isn't there and doesn't even make an attempt to do the research.

If you would have done it, you would have known that top women including Venus have requested late starts.

GoDominique

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
...so chances are.

Chances are does not a true statement make! Fact is, every match played in the Australian Open is important to the person playing it.

Since its also played on the international stage via television, I can tell you FOR SURE that I didn't give a rats butt about Hewits match (although I do like Baggy). However, I was very keen to see Sania v Venus!

spartanfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM
WHy? Because I'm right? Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice every where! Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM
And the people in Australia could have seen Hewitt on VOdaphone, Its not like he hasn't played there before.

But he shouldn't have to when he's playing a top player as Venus and Serena should not be off Arthur Ashe when they're playing one as well or even when they're not playing one.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:20 PM
Funny, the majority of people who are calling Roger an idiot etc are Venus' fans :tape: Please, the guy was asked a question and he answered it. He told what he thought on that matter.
Nothing would have happened to Venus if she had agreed to change the court, she didn't want to do it, it's perfectly fine as well.
If anything, the organizers should have moved Lleyton's match for another day because forcing them to start playing at midnight is highly ridiculous :help:

Because people came that day to watch Hewitt, their local player, as simple as that.

Demska
I agree. Men have to play a 5 set match, and we all knew that Hewitt / Baghdatis would be a thrilling and potentially long affair. The referees should have made a decision and not asked Venus to move, they should have made her move. They can't please everyone.

GoDominique
And the people in Australia could have seen Hewitt on VOdaphone.

NO THEY COULDN'T.

Fidello
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
And thus you make your statement null and void. How can we enjoy their game on WTAW? We enjoy their game by watching it. Isn't the point of WTAW to talk about tennis, results etc. with other fans and see what they think. It's difficult admittedly with so many haters.Ok, what I meant is according to Wtaworld. And yes, the point of the WTAW is to talk about tennis yet you people keep calling us idiots every time someone say anything even remotely against WS. This time is Roger Federer's turn, the greatest tennis player ever is suddenly a dick.

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
What other professional sports starts at 11:47PM? It's the tournaments fault plain and simple.

EXACTLTY!! Funny- why don't the lambaste the Tv stations too ? Everything is changed around for the benefit of tv these days :rolleyes:

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:25 PM
EXACTLTY!! Funny- why don't the lambaste the Tv stations too ? Everything is changed around for the benefit of tv these days :rolleyes:
They started that late because Venus was an arrogant ****.

spartanfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
But he shouldn't have to when he's playing a top player as Venus and Serena should not be off Arthur Ashe when they're playing one as well or even when they're not playing one.
First of all Venus and Serena don't play ALL their matches in Ashe court. Secondly, if you want to point a finger at some one point it at the Australian officials. Just this year they implemented a new rule that new matches were not to start after 11pm, and what do they do? Start a match at 11:47PM. What other professional sport starts a game or match that late? NONE, except tennis. The 90 minutes it took to get Venus and Sania on and off the court for their warm-up and match was not the problem. The Hewitt match would have still been going on until 3 AM, which is stupid.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:27 PM
Dont get into a discussion without thinking of your argument first. Read through the whole thread first. It has been explained already.
Hewwit needs to be in RLA as Roddick, Agassi and the Williams sisters had been in Arthur Ashe.

Wannabeknowitall

Not true.
Spain started it's matches at 6pm for the YEC not because of the TV schedule but because of their culture.
There have been matches that started around 11:30 there as well, so not everything is changed for the benefit of TV.

Infiniti2001
They started that late because Venus was an arrogant ****.

You mean an arrogant **** like you? Look in the mirror already:lol:

harloo
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM
Funny, the majority of people who are calling Roger an idiot etc are Venus' fans :tape: Please, the guy was asked a question and he answered it. He told what he thought on that matter.
Nothing would have happened to Venus if she had agreed to change the court, she didn't want to do it, it's perfectly fine as well.
If anything, the organizers should have moved Lleyton's match for another day because forcing them to start playing at midnight is highly ridiculous :help:

Because people came that day to watch Hewitt, their local player, as simple as that.

I'm sorry but just because Roger is the #1 player and possible "greatest player of all time" it doesn't make his opinion any more valid. After watching his matches and hearing the commentators reference his various schedule requests he has little room to talk.

I also don't buy the notion that Hewitt should of been moved to Vodafone. The Aussie fans paid to see him on RLA and that's fine. However, it wasn't fair to ask Venus and Sania to move when the other match on vodafone wasn't over. Remember, they had been waiting for Fed's ridiculous match to end also and had to play the next day. Fair is fair.

Serenita
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM
does anyone cares what Fed has to say? i don't!

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM

So you think that Venus and Serena wouldn't get pushed off of Arthur Ashe if there was a Federer match? I think they would. They aren't guaranteed center court at any tournament that they play. Its nice when they are on the big court though (for me who prefers women's to men's tennis) -- and that's at every GS not just the US Open.

I'm reading in general the continued long standing issue of prejudice against women's tennis. Its always been seen as not as important as men's tennis. I remember the days when the women's final at the US Open was sandwiched between the men's semi finals. What the hell! That was so frustrating. If they could have moved the women's final in favor of the men, likely they would have (but TV wouldn't have it, especially when it involved the Ice Maiden, because Chris Evert was a very popular TV draw in her time).

At times I'd have to wait through some boring five setter to see what I really wanted to see -- the women. NOT the men's semis. Nobody gave a rats butt what waiting and waiting and waiting did for the women trying to play their CHAMPIONSHIP final match! Finally, the tards at the US Open changed that.

The bottom line is that the women were asked. If they had been ordered to move to another court (and that was understood as part of the rules), it may still have not been fair, but in this case, they were asked and they declined. Both women it seems. Not just Venus.

They're ALL playing for their livelihood, the women just as legitimately as the men. They have to do what's right for number one, and they did.

serenus_2k8
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
NO THEY COULDN'T.

Seriously... u join this thread and do nothing but hate.

If the organisers thought that Venus should move and that they had every right in doing so, they should have grown some balls and done it. No point whining now :)

DaMamaJama87
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:33 PM
NO THEY COULDN'T.

Why? Writing something in big red letters doesn't make it true :kiss:

In The Zone
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
First of all Venus and Serena don't play ALL their matches in Ashe court. Secondly, if you want to point a finger at some one point it at the Australian officials. Just this year they implemented a new rule that new matches were not to start after 11pm, and what do they do? Start a match at 11:47PM. What other professional sport starts a game or match that late? NONE, except tennis. The 90 minutes it took to get Venus and Sania on and off the court for their warm-up and match was not the problem. The Hewitt match would have still been going on until 3 AM, which is stupid.

Great point. The match would have ended at 3am, even if Venus AND SANIA were moved. And Hewitt would have still lost in straights to Novak.
And the organizers ASKED Venus and Sania to move. If it was truly a horrible issue for the organizers, they wouldn't have asked. They would have told them they were being moved.

GoDominique
If Venus (and Sania - LOL. as if she ever had a say in this) had just been "asked" about it, why did they have a heated discussion for 20 minutes?

It's easily possible that Venus threatened them with something. It would fit her character.

Fidello
You mean an arrogant **** like you? Look in the mirror already:lol:I see you actually pay to be here. Ok then, go nuts :D

Wannabeknowitall

I already asked the people of this thread when was the last time that Venus or Serena played off of Ashe.
Since you seem to know, tell me.

Why should I point a finger at them when James Blake match against Santoro started just as late last year at the US Open?
I'm not one to put access blame on one slam when all the slams have this issue.
If you want to do, that's fine but in the end it solves nothing.

carling
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM

HOLLA!!!!! Had Federer not played and 4 hour match prior to Venus, none of this shit would have happened.

Look, the bottom line is they gave Venus and Sania a CHOICE with two options, yes or no. They chose no, which was 100% their right. Had the officials TOLD them they were moving rather than asking them, different story, but they didn't do that. Again, Venus and Sania were not obligated to say yes just because they were asked!

This is a non-issue that people are blowing completely out of proportion. Fuck Federer.:devil:

In The Zone
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
Venus played on Armstrong in 2004. :)

mckyle.
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:39 PM

It's a matter of principle. If they would've been moved, it would have looked like the organizers were choosing the men's match over the women's match. Venus and Sania were scheduled to play on Rod Laver and they didn't feel like they should be moved just so the men could finish earlier. Why couldn't they move the men to Vodafone? It's a very sexist issue.

canuckfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM

Except she's not the boss. Her bosses are the ITF, WTA and the organisation of the Australian Open

komodo
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM

Please, are you a moron?
I'm not even saying that the girls should have absolutely been moved, and I understand that Venus cared for herself primarily as she couldn't know for how long she'd have to wait on Vodaphone if she agreed on being moved.

But moving Lleyton to another stadium as some here, including "spartanfan" propose, was NOT an option since 14000 people in that stadium were waiting for their national tennis hero to play.

Is that so hard to grasp?

star
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:41 PM
I don't think this is so much about women vs. men as it is about a match featuring two players popular in the area who are likely to have a close match vs. a popular player playing a somewhat-known player that's not expected to be a huge challenge. Yeah men's tennis is often takes precedence over the women's but I don't really think this is an example of that.

Peterk07
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:41 PM

It's actually a fact. The Hewitt match finished in front of a fully packed arena. People wouldn't have stayed there till dawn if they came to see a different match.

In my opinion, it was clearly the organisers's mistake. And the girls had every right to refuse to move. However, it wasn't some evil thing to ask them. Tennis games frequently starts behind schedule, this is very common on tournaments, so the girls already got used to it. I think most of the players would have been simply told to move, while Venus has been asked. They refused. Well, I can't say I'm surprised. :)

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
Venus played on Armstrong in 2004. :)

Thank you. That's 3 years ago.
It's preferential treatment for the organizers to do, that not just lady luck.
And in some cases it has been at the expense of other players as well when there have been delays.

harloo
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM
If Venus (and Sania - LOL. as if she ever had a say in this) had just been "asked" about it, why did they have a heated discussion for 20 minutes?

It's easily possible that Venus threatened them with something. It would fit her character.

You don't have any idea what that 20 minute conversation entailed. Venus has stated she didn't threaten to leave the tournament, neither did anyone of importance confirm this "alleged" rumor. You really should stop reading too much into gossip. :lol:

cypher_88
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM

perfectly true. Federer:worship:

some Venus need to understand that not all critiques are negative.;)

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Dont get into a discussion without thinking of your argument first. Read through the whole thread first. It has been explained already.
Hewwit needs to be in RLA as Roddick, Agassi and the Williams sisters had been in Arthur Ashe.

LOL@you Miss Queen. I HAVE read through the entire thread.

I HAVE also paid to fly across the country to attend the US Open in the past (very expensive trip for me but worth every penny). But I did NOT expect any guarantees that Americans would be on centre court just because they were American!

Although, I do admit that they usually put the stars or most popular players in the big stadium (Chrissie Evert played all of her matches on in Forest Hills stadium in 1971 -- not because she was known -- she wasn't -- but because they had to place her there in fear of too many people crowding onto smaller courts at Forest Hills -- but again, that was the smaller Forest Hills).

If Hewitt absolutely had to play on centre court for the fans, then he did but late. I think they should have adjusted the schedule for the next day. Although, that would have disappointed fans to expected to see him that day (I was disappointed when I went to the US Open by matches being changed or not played, so fans have to expect that to happen).

By the way, the best argument you could make to me was to insult me? This board is full of tards. Now we have Queen-tard.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
I really dont believed that Venus threatened the tournament. She is way better than that.
However, it intrigues me why there's so much issue in it. Maybe its just the media over hyping it.

spartanfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM
I already asked the people of this thread when was the last time that Venus or Serena played off of Ashe.
Since you seem to know, tell me.

Why should I point a finger at them when James Blake match against Santoro started just as late last year at the US Open?
I'm not one to put access blame on one slam when all the slams have this issue.
If you want to do, that's fine but in the end it solves nothing.
I'm sure both Venus and Serena have played on other courts besides Ashe, especially early in their career. You're point is point less, when you're ignoring other important facts here, like the fact that the match on Vodafone had not FINISHED when Venus and Sania had actually started their match and the women want to play their match just as much as Hewitt his. Not to mention the fact there was no guarantee when the match on Vodafone was going to finish. The fact that so many people are ignoring this and all the facts tell me that there are other undercurrent issue going on.

Fidello
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:49 PM
It's actually a fact. The Hewitt match finished in front of a fully packed arena. People wouldn't have stayed there till dawn if they came to see a different match.

In my opinion, it was clearly the organisers's mistake. And the girls had every right to refuse to move. However, it wasn't some evil thing to ask them. Tennis games frequently starts behind schedule, this is very common on tournaments, so the girls already got used to it. I think most of the players would have been simply told to move, while Venus has been asked. They didn't. Well, I'm not surprised. :)Exactly, In fact, I bet that the only two players who would've been asked and not told are the WS.

Marshmallow
I can't believe this has spilt over from MTF.

Federer gets unlimited TV access, and gets the show courts almost all the time. When has he ever been asked to move?

He is one of the most arrogant players in Tennis... just look at his Tipsarevic interview; barely gave little credit to Janko, instead focusing on himself, and how he didn't play well. You don't hear a peep out of anyone for it, where as we know Venus and Serena deserve to be dragged around the country at the back of some hose for it.

Venus did NOTHING WRONG? She had been waiting for hours to get on court... was asked to move onto another court where there was a match going on (it could have been hours before she got on court - and who knows what time she got up) - and like she added - she and Sania have doubles to play as well. To move courts would be to bend over backwards - and the AO management were clearly not showing them equal respect by asking them to move.

And why would anyone by 'i'm a relaxed kind of guy' bull. How many times have we seen Federer lose his cool in recent days, using all kinds of profane language on court - because a call doesn't go his way. Its easy to say what you like, when you don't hve to worry about being in such a position.

Lolo8

Your full of shit. Venus has always been quiet and reserved hardly never making a fuss. Venus puts her foot down for once and already you want to throw stones at her. Those two women were waiting around patiently for Roger's match to be over and then be told your match is worthless could you please goto another court. Venus had every right to be offended by the offer.I don't believe Venus had an 'heated' discussion with these people. They are just throwing this bullshit out there to make Venus look bad. Besides Lleyton Hewitt is an hasbeen. They need to get over this.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:50 PM
LOL@you Miss Queen. I HAVE read through the entire thread.

I HAVE also paid to fly across the country to attend the US Open in the past (very expensive trip for me but worth every penny). But I did NOT expect any guarantees that Americans would be on centre court just because they were American!

Although, I do admit that they usually put the stars or most popular players in the big stadium (Chrissie Evert played all of her matches on in Forest Hills stadium in 1971 -- not because she was known -- she wasn't -- but because they had to place her there in fear of too many people crowding onto smaller courts at Forest Hills -- but again, that was the smaller Forest Hills).

If Hewitt absolutely had to play on centre court for the fans, then he did but late. I think they should have adjusted the schedule for the next day. Although, that would have disappointed fans to expected to see him that day (I was disappointed when I went to the US Open by matches being changed or not played, so fans have to expect that to happen).

By the way, the best argument you could make to me was to insult me? This board is full of tards. Now we have Queen-tard.
And you can't still grasp the idea why Tim Henman should be in center court at Wimbledon
Why Agasi needs to be in Arthur Ashe
Why the Williams sisters should be in Arthur ashe
and Why Hewwit needs to be in RLA.
I'll rest my case to you.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:50 PM
I really dont believed that Venus threatened the tournament. She is way better than that.
However, it intrigues me why there's so much issue in it. Maybe its just the media over hyping it.

You continue to comment on it just as I do, so obviously there's some issue to it, or we both would have moved on.

Jasmin
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:51 PM
Big Venus fan who understands where fed is coming from but I'm also a big fed fan.

spartanfan
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Please, are you a moron?
I'm not even saying that the girls should have absolutely been moved, and I understand that Venus cared for herself primarily as she couldn't know for how long she'd have to wait on Vodaphone if she agreed on being moved.

But moving Lleyton to another stadium as some here, including "spartanfan" propose, was NOT an option since 14000 people in that stadium were waiting for their national tennis hero to play.

Is that so hard to grasp?
SO WHAT YOU'RE TELL ME FREAK IS THAT NONE OF THOSE 14,000 PEOPLE IN THAT STADIUM WERE THERE TO SEE VENUS OR SANIA? PLEASE, YOU'RE AN IDIOT AND YOU KNOW IT.

Marshmallow
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Exactly, In fact, I bet that the only two players who would've been asked and not told are the WS.

NO! Maria and Justine would most likely also have been asked - because like the WS they are marquee players.

Why would you even assume something like that? Why do you think they get special treatment? Why the bias against?

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:53 PM
So you think that Venus and Serena wouldn't get pushed off of Arthur Ashe if there was a Federer match? I think they would. They aren't guaranteed center court at any tournament that they play. Its nice when they are on the big court though (for me who prefers women's to men's tennis) -- and that's at every GS not just the US Open.

I'm reading in general the continued long standing issue of prejudice against women's tennis. Its always been seen as not as important as men's tennis. I remember the days when the women's final at the US Open was sandwiched between the men's semi finals. What the hell! That was so frustrating. If they could have moved the women's final in favor of the men, likely they would have (but TV wouldn't have it, especially when it involved the Ice Maiden, because Chris Evert was a very popular TV draw in her time).

At times I'd have to wait through some boring five setter to see what I really wanted to see -- the women. NOT the men's semis. Nobody gave a rats butt what waiting and waiting and waiting did for the women trying to play their CHAMPIONSHIP final match! Finally, the tards at the US Open changed that.

The bottom line is that the women were asked. If they had been ordered to move to another court (and that was understood as part of the rules), it may still have not been fair, but in this case, they were asked and they declined. Both women it seems. Not just Venus.

They're ALL playing for their livelihood, the women just as legitimately as the men. They have to do what's right for number one, and they did.

:lol:
That will never happen. And Zone just told us it's been 3 years since they've been off Arthur Ashe.
If they haven't been kicked off for Federer, in his prime, then it's not going to happen now. :lol:

Oh lord. You're making this a sexist issue.
If it's not sexist in this thread it's racist.
The US Open has been in prime time for the women most of this decade and they've been given same prize money for just about the same time.

You already have your stance against men's tennis so there's nothing I can do to change that.
What I will say is I thought it was funny that some of the people with the same disposition actually changed their minds when I brought up how I thought the Dementieva/Sharapova match was compared to the men's match on.

I enjoy watching both. You have boring matches from both. You have good matches from both.
Wtaworld was not made for you to show your hate for men's tennis as some of you are confused into thinking.

cypher_88
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM
It's a matter of principle. If they would've been moved, it would have looked like the organizers were choosing the men's match over the women's match. Venus and Sania were scheduled to play on Rod Laver and they didn't feel like they should be moved just so the men could finish earlier. Why couldn't they move the men to Vodafone? It's a very sexist issue.

Sexist? Are you actually believing what you are writing? Or is just for the sake of arguing?

Hewitt is Australian. Simple as that. It is perfectly normal for him to play his matches on RLA. Just as Murray plays most of his matches on CC at Wimbledon. And Amelie hers at the FO. If i were Australian i would want to see Hewitt on RLA and not some American. :rolleyes:

well said Federer.:worship: being a diplomat as usual.

Lolo8
I can't believe this has spilt over from MTF.

Federer gets unlimited TV access, and gets the show courts almost all the time. When has he ever been asked to move?

He is one of the most arrogant players in Tennis... just look at his Tipsarevic interview; barely gave little credit to Janko, instead focusing on himself, and how he didn't play well. You don't hear a peep out of anyone for it, where as we know Venus and Serena deserve to be dragged around the country at the back of some hose for it.

Venus did NOTHING WRONG? She had been waiting for hours to get on court... was asked to move onto another court where there was a match going on (it could have been hours before she got on court - and who knows what time she got up) - and like she added - she and Sania have doubles to play as well. To move courts would be to bend over backwards - and the AO management were clearly not showing them equal respect by asking them to move.

And why would anyone by 'i'm a relaxed kind of guy' bull. How many times have we seen Federer lose his cool in recent days, using all kinds of profane language on court - because a call doesn't go his way. Its easy to say what you like, when you don't hve to worry about being in such a position.
I'm curious if they would have dared to ask Sharapova to move to another court?

Winston's Human
I noticed that Federer did not say that he would be willing to move to another court and wait an indefinite time for that court to become available.

Somehow, I cannot imagine Federer agreeing to delay the start of his already-delayed match in deference to the more-local player.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM
I noticed that Federer did not say that he would be willing to move to another court and wait an indefinite time for that court to become available.

Somehow, I cannot imagine Federer agreeing to delay the start of his already-delayed match in deference to the more-local player.
You dont want History to be witnessed only by fewer people. Mighty Fed should always be in CC.
If he lose that match against Tipsarevic, that could have been a story of the tournament, the greatest upset in history.

cypher_88
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM

"But if they would come and tell me, you've got to move. Honestly, I think the players shouldn't have too much of a say. We're happy to be playing here," he said after beating Czech No.13 seed Tomas Berdych on Monday.

i guess that quote is my imagination then:rolleyes:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM
"But if they would come and tell me, you've got to move. Honestly, I think the players shouldn't have too much of a say. We're happy to be playing here," he said after beating Czech No.13 seed Tomas Berdych on Monday.

It has to be your imagination in this thread.
There's no way Federer could have said something that makes him respected by all athletes in every sport, there's absolutely no way. :lol:

In The Zone
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
HELLO.

Venus and Sania were both involved in doubles and Sania also in the mixed.

They couldn't afford to play until 1am, 2am.

The men's winner would have had a day off.

The ladies would not have had a day off.

And most schedules say that only the last match can be moved -- not the ones before it. It's not Venus' fault that the day session went too long. She had a scheduled match and she prepared herself to be ready for it. I am so sick of debating this. :(

kirilenko_ishot
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Sexist? Are you actually believing what you are writing? Or is just for the sake of arguing?

Hewitt is Australian. Simple as that. It is perfectly normal for him to play his matches on RLA. Just as Murray plays most of his matches on CC at Wimbledon. And Amelie hers at the FO. If i were Australian i would want to see Hewitt on RLA and not some American. :rolleyes:

exactly, i don't think anyone in the crowd was there to watch mirza vs williams, everyone was there for hewitt. if it got moved to vodafone there would probably a crowd of less than a hundred people
however it should be their right to accept/decline a change in court/time, cause they've been waiting for the whole day

Kenny
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM
I just think it's funny that GoDominique is the utmost authority of Venus's character.

serenus_2k8
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM

Holy shit :eek:

How embarassing for you... :tape:

mckyle.
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM

They wanted to move a women's match so the men could get done faster. That's favorable treatment to men. That's blatant sexism.

miffedmax
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:07 PM
The real question to me is if your the tournament director, f-ing get a pair, don't go around asking people to move.

You're in charge. I bet if someone had just moved the match, Venus probably would have accepted the decision, gone out, kicked ass and said very little.

But if you give her the option, she's well within her rights to say "No."

Winston's Human
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:10 PM

I have no doubt that the above quotation from Federer occurred. I just doubt that he would actually acquiesce to that situation.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:16 PM
They wanted to move a women's match so the men could get done faster. That's favorable treatment to men. That's blatant sexism.

They wanted to move the women's match so people could get home in a timely fashion. :lol:

You know when I go to the US Open, I buy tickets for two days, so I insure myself I can see Serena play.
What happens to the people who did that at the Australian Open for Hewitt and he didn't get see him play that nite?
I know I would be furious.

I don't think you would know what sexism is, until it bit you on the ass.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM
I don't think this is so much about women vs. men as it is about a match featuring two players popular in the area who are likely to have a close match vs. a popular player playing a somewhat-known player that's not expected to be a huge challenge...

There have been arguments put forth on this very board that Sania Mirza is the most popular women's tennis player by actual number of people paying attention to women's results. So lets not belittle Sania's popularity world-wide, and the Australian Open is not just played for Australians but to a world-wide audience via television and computers.

Venus v Sania was no throw away (unchallenging) match as you allude to. I've seen Sania play in person, and she has great ability, and it would be interesting to see if she was going to turn things around in 2008 and challenge this year. So for me, Venus v Sania was a keen match to watch.

But that's neither here nor there in this argument. The point is the girls were asked and they declined. If they had no right to decline they should not have been asked.

I'd agree that it was outrageous that Hewitt and Baggy had to play until 4AM!!! I wonder why they schedule two men's matches in the night sessions??? IT doesn't make sense since either or both could go five sets! Even with Venus and Sania's two hours removed, the matches would have gone into the AM right?

When I went to the US Open in 1982, Johnny Mc played a five setter that went until around 1AM. As a fan, I was happy to stay and see one of his loud and argumentative come backs, but it wasn't good for him or his opponent to play until that hour. Mac didn't complain as far as I remember, but dealt with it as part of a major tournament scheduling.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:34 PM
You know when I go to the US Open, I buy tickets for two days, so I insure myself I can see Serena play.

Nothing is guaranteed when you go to a tennis tournament, though. When I went to the US Open hoping to see Chris and Billie Jean play doubles, they defaulted just before match time. We were sitting there in great seats (we came over early to make sure), the powers that be were announcing that they would be out, and Chris decided last second not to play (she had food poisoning a couple of days prior, but had played her singles match earlier that day -- which I saw).

It was disappointing (I'm still upset 25 years later), but its part of tennis. You never know what's going to happen or really who is going to play.

slamchamp
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:35 PM
people are so sentitive here, I agree with Roger. Vodafone Arena is a great court what are they complaining about? it's not cause the tournament thinks Venus and Sania are less than Hewitt and Baghdatis, it's cause their match would be way to late. It was kind of selfish from the girls towards the other players

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Ego King did it again :clap2:

His huge Ego is killing him

Por eso, Jodete Roger ****erer ... Nole will rip you a new one in semis

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:43 PM
I'd agree that it was outrageous that Hewitt and Baggy had to play until 4AM!!! I wonder why they schedule two men's matches in the night sessions??? IT doesn't make sense since either or both could go five sets! Even with Venus and Sania's two hours removed, the matches would have gone into the AM right?
Thanks for proving that you have absolutely NO clue what you are talking about.

The night session consisted of two matches: Venus and Hewitt. Just like any other night session in this tournament.

The problem was that the day session went overtime.

Bitter Blue Bong
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:54 PM
But that's neither here nor there in this argument. The point is the girls were asked and they declined. If they had no right to decline they should not have been asked.

Thank you. That's really all there is to it.

faboozadoo15
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
no disrepect to Fed (who I love), but I doubt he's been asked or will be asked to move his match.

He has been asked to move.

And hell, Lindsay Davenport has played a US Open quarterfinal on court 6.

faboozadoo15
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
people are so sentitive here, I agree with Roger. Vodafone Arena is a great court what are they complaining about? it's not cause the tournament thinks Venus and Sania are less than Hewitt and Baghdatis, it's cause their match would be way to late. It was kind of selfish from the girls towards the other players

If time was the only issue, Hewitt (who was scheduled second) could have had his on another court.

If the players who are "asked" to move to another court are just supposed to do it anyway, they would be TOLD to do so. Not asked.

Plus, the match and the atmosphere were incredible, given the circumstances.

The problem is, that the tournament DOES think that Hewitt is greater than Venus and Sania. Venus wasn't having any of that. And good for her.

junlee_vee
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM
It's not about the fact that Hewitt is an Aussie, it's about what's fair. I have great admiration for Federer and he's one of my favorite players, but I personally think he's wrong right here. How long would the ladies had to have waited if their match was moved to Vodafone? There was still a match going on over there that wasn't going to be done anytime soon, whereas the Federer match was. Would they have even gotten to play that night? Probably so, but still. It's not fair to ask them to move to Vodafone when they're scheduled to play on RLA, simply because Hewitt is an Aussie.

And to anybody who seriously thinks the scheduling or what Venus and Sania did diminished the chances or Hewitt winning, you're an idiot anyway.

Conor
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
I agree with him :shrug:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM
So NONE Of them were there for Venus v Sania? And you know this how?

had Hewitt vs Baghdatis been on 1st
99% of the crowd would have gone home after

Shafanovic.
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
HONESTLY.. it's not Mirza or William's fault.
It's the directors' fault.
On that day they put on a women's singles and TWO men's singles matches. Which is unusual.
And I think they did that because Roger Federer is playing, and he's number 1 in the world and they are SO SURE that he will win in straight sets, and look what happened. You can't blame the girls for not wanting to move.. What if the fans came to see both matches.. and if they're on at the same time, they can't do that and so they waste their money on the tickets to go and see them..

So don't blame anyone but the directors

Shafanovic.
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:16 PM

It's not just the courts, it's the people who will watch them.. HONESTLY... Between Hewitt/Baghdatis and Williams/Mirza. How many people out of all the people there would watch Williams and Mirza.. Probably about 1 in 200.. Not much. They need the support.

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:16 PM
HONESTLY.. it's not Mirza or William's fault.
It's the directors' fault.
On that day they put on a women's singles and TWO men's singles matches. Which is unusual.
Unusual because it's simply not true. So shut the fuck up, moron.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
HELLO.

Venus and Sania were both involved in doubles and Sania also in the mixed.

They couldn't afford to play until 1am, 2am.

The men's winner would have had a day off.

The ladies would not have had a day off.

And most schedules say that only the last match can be moved -- not the ones before it. It's not Venus' fault that the day session went too long. She had a scheduled match and she prepared herself to be ready for it. I am so sick of debating this. :(

doubles doesnt come into it, when considering other days action.

Tennisation
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Unusual because it's simply not true. So shut the fuck up, moron.oh Dom, u've been sucking too much dicks, poor girl:hug:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:22 PM
I dont get why Venus and Sania are getting stick

they shouldnt have started the mens match-thats the schedulers fault, i know they were behind but they shouldnt have gone ahead with it
even if Venus/Sania had moved-the Hewitt match would have finished at 2.30am, still very late

Shafanovic.
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:24 PM
1 Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Maria Kirilenko (RUS)[27] def Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)[6]

2 Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Marin Cilic (CRO) def Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)[7]

3 Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Roger Federer (SUI)[1] def Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)

TWO, I repeat, TWO men's singles matches... not true..^^^ There's the proof

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM
I thought you were referring to the night session.

Anyway, you are still a moron. Please check every other day schedule of this tournament, then come back and tell me if you still think it was 'unusual'.

Fan_of_Venus
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM
I also hated Roger. And it seems I always will. Venus and Mariza (not sure how to spell her name) was given a choice they said no. It is done.

Aaron.
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM
Roger stick to getting your ass beat by Nadal and stop talking

faboozadoo15
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Roger stick to getting your ass beat by Nadal and stop talking

He's beaten Nadal 5 of the last 7 times, you retard. And the last one was a rout.

hablo
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:38 PM
Disappointed by Federer's comments.

mykarma
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM
:worship::worship::worship:

Reuchlin
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
Some thoughts (many of them have prob. been already listed):

1. This was not a case of sexism, it was a matter of logistics. Men's matches are generally longer, and given the quality of all four players the men's match promised to be much longer this time as well. In this case, the possibility of finishing both matches at 12am was more favorable-- from both a players and tournament management perspective-- than having one finish at 10pm and another at 5am.

2. The director probably asked Venus and Sania as a matter of courtesy. It was certainly in his power to simply request that the match be moved, but he chose the more respectful approach-- it backfired. Perhaps he mistook Venus for a kind, thoughtful and considerate individual,(haven't all of us at one point?) We just don't know. What is certain however, is that once he opened to floor to suggestions from Venus and Sania he shifted the decision making power to them.

3. In the final evaluation it becomes clear that once Venus was asked if she would move, the decision was hers. Alas Venus is not a utilitarian and so she did not choose what was best for the greatest number of people-- she chose what was best for her-- in the spirit of a true egotist.

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM
Nice and all Roger....but they already were waiting for you to finish. Then they'd have to go on and wait for Berdych as well??

serenus_2k8
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:47 PM
I would like to see Roger move his schedule round to his disadvantage :lol:

mykarma
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:48 PM

I'm sure you were including yours.

VishaalMaria
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
Well even if Venus and Sania agreed to play their match on the Vodafone arena, Lleyton would have played his match until three am that morning as opposed to half four am [as Venus' match took around 90 minutes to complete]. It's still a ridiculous hour for a match to finish at. So, in saying that, it doesn't really boil down to Venus' decision of saying "No". As previously mentioned, It was just down to the unfortunate circumstances that took place in the days session i.e. Federer's match over-running.

There was nothing no one could do [except to re-scehdule Lleytons match to the next day but obviously thats out of the question]. You just had to deal with the situation as best as you could. Anyway, It's in the past now.

mboyle
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM

Because the match on Vodafone was still going on. If anything, they should have moved Hewitt and Baghdatis to Vodafone.

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
Because the match on Vodafone was still going on. If anything, they should have moved Hewitt and Baghdatis to Vodafone.
Right, I was wondering which moron we hadn't seen here yet. Now I know: mboyle!

VishaalMaria
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Right, I was wondering which moron we hadn't seen here yet. Now I know: mboyle!

People such as myself would have loved to have debated this issue with you. You do bring up some good points but seriously this issue doesnt affect you directly! So why are you getting so angry and aggressive? At least have some class on this board and discuss issues in a good manner....as opposed to calling people morons.

venusallday
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM

Some people fail to remember Venus having to move an entire day for the Venus-Jankovic match at the US Open. That move was incredibly unfair for the eventual winner (Venus), and it showed as Venus got tired during the Henin match.

Stamp Paid
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM
Right, I was wondering which moron we hadn't seen here yet. Now I know: mboyle!Look you pressed ph@g, we've suffered through your opinion for 18 posts. You've made it loud and clear how you felt, and you've been disrespectful to both Venus, Sania, and their fans in the meantime. I'm here to give you the last bit of attention you deserve in this thread, bitch. Take your meds and PUSH! http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/ubb/icons/icon2.gifhttp://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/ubb/icons/icon2.gif