PDA

View Full Version : Venus accused of claiming racism

supergrunt
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM
Q. There's a story in one of the local papers this morning saying that when you were approached about changing the match, you said that if that happened you would see that as being racist. Did you say that?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Was I quoted as saying that in the paper?

Q. No. It said you were believed to say that.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Okay, so, you know, any credible writer I don't think would come in here and ask me something like that. That's crazy, first of all. Second of all, you know, I am pleased that the matches went on as scheduled.

But, you know, all this hearsay, I don't deal with that.

Q. I'm offering you the chance to say no. Did you say it or not?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No.

Q. Being asked to consider putting your match on another court or postponing it in favor of the men's match, do you see that as a racist issue or sexist?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Just as I said the other day, I explained what the situation was. That transcript is available. But at this point, you know, I'm in the quarterfinals. I want to focus more or less on that. That was days ago.

What's with the attitude from the journalist? Why are they still on that? The journalists seem bitter about it and I think some of their fixation is founded in sexism: "Why did they let those women play on the court while Venus and Sania got to play their match as scheduled. Shouldn't Venus herself be outraged by this act of fairness?!"

supergrunt
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:45 AM
Venus handled it well though. She always knows what to say. :)

Mikey.
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:50 AM
:lol: Journalists are always like that. They ask the controversial questions to get a different reaction out of the players. Think nothing of it.

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:51 AM
Venus is a very eloquent speaker. The way she handled and stood up to that change court situation was amazing. She's 100% different from that cold, almost arrogant, but winning teenager back in 1998-1999. I like the way she handles her self out there with the media.
The media- they just don't like it when strong women stand up for them selves and try to find any thing to bring that person down. I like Venus's 'tude at this AO. She's not taking crap from the media, umpires, and tournament officials. She has a right to be clammy big babe ;-)

sorceress
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:54 AM
How pushy was the journalist??
'I'm offering you the chance to say no,did you do it?'
Offering,like they're in control? It was a bloody rumour stop hassling the poor girl.

Lleyton played til dawn,so what? He was never going to beat Novak.

drake3781
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:01 AM
That's weird. Is there an interview transcript where she says this? How can it be "believed" to be said? Weird. Either she said it or she did not. :shrug:

Keadz
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:07 AM
Who ever that interviewer is, I hope he gets fired. Can you give me the link to the article?

keirana332
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:25 AM
The press were being quite antagonistic, pushing her buttons for a reaction, similar to the way they pushed Serena earlier this week about the remarks made by a commentator about Venus's butt. Both of them handled the situations very well, Serena using humour and Venus tactful deflection of the journalists quite rude questions.

Stamp Paid
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:39 AM
The transcript is available.....:spit:

drake3781
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:42 AM
The transcript is available.....:spit:

Can you link to it please? Not this transcript where she was asked about it, but the original one (if there is one).

G1Player2
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:47 AM
Can you link to it please? Not this transcript where she was asked about it, but the original one (if there is one).

There is a thread in the middle of this page. ;)

Stamp Paid
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM
Can you link to it please? Not this transcript where she was asked about it, but the original one (if there is one).I was just LOLing @ Venus' choice of words in the interview posted above.

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:51 AM
I'm so happy Venus and Sania did not bow down to these fuckers. NEXT!!!!

Stamp Paid
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM
Menstennisforums posters are furious at Venus and Sania

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=116153What a bunch of pressed ph@gs. *edit* No he didnt say Feminazi: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6468860&postcount=90 :sobbing:

drake3781
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=116153

I only read the first page, but it looks like the posters there are (at least on the first page :p ) are pretty fair about it.

I don't understand the reaction here to the interviewer who asked Venus about her purported comment(s). If she did say there was a bias toward her, then it is only normal to bring it out in the open and she should back it up (or possibly say she misspoke :shrug: ), or if she didn't say that, then it is worth allowing her to make the statement that she said no such thing.

What I also don't understand is how there can be a comment that she is "believed" to have said. Was it "believed" to have been said in an interview that was recorded? Then there should be a transcript. Otherwise, how was "believed" to have been said? :confused:

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:17 AM
What do you expect from MTF and men's tennis fans? :rolleyes:

pka_liloo
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:24 AM
I hope this situation will at least rise the long time growing issue: 5-set matches on men's tour should be cancelled. Otherwise this will always be like this: they play for 5 sets with tie-breaks in first 4 and 22-20 score in the last and the girls should sit there and wait or be ready to move to any empty court as if their play is less important to fans than men's.

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:34 AM
I only read the first page, but it looks like the posters there are (at least on the first page :p ) are pretty fair about it.

I don't understand the reaction here to the interviewer who asked Venus about her purported comment(s). If she did say there was a bias toward her, then it is only normal to bring it out in the open and she should back it up (or possibly say she misspoke :shrug: ), or if she didn't say that, then it is worth allowing her to make the statement that she said no such thing.

What I also don't understand is how there can be a comment that she is "believed" to have said. Was it "believed" to have been said in an interview that was recorded? Then there should be a transcript. Otherwise, how was "believed" to have been said? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wcT5h8PXxg.

Utautai
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM
:help: @ those twats on MTF! :tape: :boxing:

azza
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM
fuck id kill to be a journalist :devil:

serenaback
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:57 AM
I read the mens forum and did not see anything too rediculous except for a couple of ignorant fools. But glad Venus stood her ground because I'm a male and i can see her point. she did nothing wrong.

JadeFox
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM
Did most of you people read that thread? A lot of MTF posters were siding with Venus and blaming the organizers for bad scheduling.

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM
fuck id kill to be a journalist :devil:

Azza, send me your resume; I work at a News Agency. ;)

DOUBLEFIST
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:07 AM
...What I also don't understand is how there can be a comment that she is "believed" to have said. Was it "believed" to have been said in an interview that was recorded? Then there should be a transcript. Otherwise, how was "believed" to have been said? :confused:

Which is exactly why Venus asked him (of course she knew the answer) if that was a direct QUOTE of what she said. Then, when the journalist had been exposed, he retreated to the "believed to..." language. Then Venus blasted him by challenging his credibility. :lol: I think that's why he got snippy with the condescending "I'm OFFERING you the...blah, blah." bs. Vee put the man/woman in their place quite deftly.

sorceress
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:11 AM
What a bunch of pressed ph@gs. *edit* No he didnt say Feminazi: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6468860&postcount=90 :sobbing:

Honestly these men are disgusting.
How they honestly expected Venus and Sania to roll over and risk their careers for those two.
Mind you,they all sounded single:lol:

Fidello
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:56 AM
Venus had every right to refuse to play on Vodafone arena... just as you have every right to refuse to help some old lady to cross the street, to borrow your hard earned money to your best friend, to give a CPR to some injured person...

fightserena!!!
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
Venus had every right to refuse to play on Vodafone arena... just as you have every right to refuse to help some old lady to cross the street, to borrow your hard earned money to your best friend, to give a CPR to some injured person...

HAHAHAHAH OMG you think that you can compare not wanting your scheduled match changed, to not wanting to give CPR to an injured person!? HAHAHAH OMG...:lol::lol::lol:

Fidello
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM
HAHAHAHAH OMG you think that you can compare not wanting your scheduled match changed, to not wanting to give CPR to an injured person!? HAHAHAH OMG...:lol::lol::lol:Well, maybe not (I don't know if that is against the law). I just think it's pretty selfish move by Venus.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
:rolleyes: MTF will always be the same...its why i don't post there regularly...bashing of women's tennis all the time...it's tiring...i'm damn glad she said no...next topic

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:50 AM
:rolleyes: MTF will always be the same...its why i don't post there regularly...bashing of women's tennis all the time...it's tiring...i'm damn glad she said no...next topic

There are a lot of idiots that went left women's tennis after the coming of the Williams sisters. You know their reasons, right? You can find a lot of them on MTF. That's why I don't post there.

servenrichie
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:14 PM
Well, maybe not (I don't know if that is against the law). I just think it's pretty selfish move by Venus.
Please explain why you think it is a selfish move by Venus, why cant Hewitt play on the Vodafone Arena?
Why did it have to be the ladies?:rolleyes:

CJ07
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Its reasonable to see why they wanted her to move. However, I don't get why they even asked their opinion. If the guy is the tournament director, then direct.

CJ07
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM
Please explain why you think it is a selfish move by Venus, why cant Hewitt play on the Vodafone Arena?
Why did it have to be the ladies?:rolleyes:
Hewitt is Australian, Venus is not.
Hewitt/Baghdadits > Williams/Mirza
Hewitt Ratings > Williams Ratings

They shouldn't have given them a choice. I mean good for Venus, but it was a rational dispute.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM
I love it how MTF say women's tennis suck in the ratings but the fact of the matter is whenever Venus or Serena are in a slam final they always beat the men's ratings :lol:

supergrunt
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
If Hewitt were asked at the Us Open to move over for a Venus/Serena match do you think that he would say yes?

Mikey.
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM
If Hewitt were asked at the Us Open to move over for a Venus/Serena match do you think that he would say yes?

No way he wouldn't. :lol: He thinks he's all that, but the truth is that he's one of the most hated sports players outside of Australia. So he couldn't play the "the fans came to see my match" card at the US open. :haha:

Ryan
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
I dont see whats wrong with the journalist's question. Maybe he is a fan of Venus, and doesn't want this to explode in the press more than it should. Like it or not, journalists are the ones that write articles about celebrities, athletes etc and for a vast majority of the population who just browse through the sports section, what they write is the truth. Obviously we know in most cases it isn't the whole truth or anything close to it, but if a headline said "Venus Williams claims racism" then most people wouldn't have a reason to doubt it.

Ryan
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
To clarify too, I'm glad Venus didn't move the match and I dont think she claimed racism at all. I just think the reporter asked some valid questions to make sure.

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
This is trivial. The tournament was well within it's rights to ask Venus and Sania to move. Venus and Sania were well within their rights to say no. It's not that big a deal.

It's actually an interesting dilemma for the tournament. Who's interests do they truly serve? Their own? Their investors? Australian tennis fans? Pacific Rim tennis fans? Worldwide tennis fans?

Sania Mirza is the biggest tennis star from one of the most populous countries on earth. Venus is one of the most famous, and most popular athletes on the planet. Australian audience for Hewitt/Bagdadis was no doubt greater than from Williams-Mirza, but worldwide, I'd bet the rent money that Williams-Mirza drew better ratings. And no doubt the tournament director(s) know that, because they ASKED Venus and Sania to move. They would have TOLD Kirilenko and Hantuchova they were moving.

Still, the MTF attitude is understandable. Look at the attitude here when yet another Roddick match is being shown.

Ryan
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM
Volcana - definitely agree, and the Hewitt/Baggy match IMO was made even BETTER because they were put on later. I think it worked out really well, and it's not like anyone in the crowd knew what was going on.

Dodoboy.
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
The Williams sisters are disgusting pigs who cannot bare to be without the limelight... you can bet it was Venus who stomped her feet not Sania.- by Escude on the MTF!

omg....! made me not want to read the rest. I am signed up on the MTF..but i barely post there. !

haha if they think any men's match would reach the echelons of an all-williams final at USO! hell even AO!

Dodoboy.
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:30 PM
although not all of them are like this!

mauresmofan
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:31 PM
Venus handled that well and as I said the other day why should she put her chances in jeopardy just to suit someone else who won't win the tournament - at least Venus has a good chance of winning it.

miffedmax
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:34 PM
Honestly, it sounds like a simple follow-up question to me because all of us, reporters included like simple "yes" and "no" answers.

Venus handled it fine.

Dodoboy.
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:35 PM
the journalist is pathetic!...the whole interview rubbed me the wrong way!

serenaforever
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:35 PM
Venus handles this stuff so well. :angel:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM
Honestly these men are disgusting.
How they honestly expected Venus and Sania to roll over and risk their careers for those two.
Mind you,they all sounded single:lol:

Risk their careers?

It's called a rain delay, all players make sacrifices for them.

Even Federer had to play on court 1 at Wimbledon last year.

I side with Venus on not moving but at the same time it's wacky to say they were risking their careers because of this incident.

Serena's match a few years ago was moved to Court 2 at Wimbledon. She lost that match against Jill Craybas but the majority of the board was concerned about her level of fitness not that she was moved.
I never heard her mention that the reason she lost was because of the move.

And I'm pretty sure that if Venus would have moved there really would have been no difference in play.
But I wouldn't move for that asshole Hewitt either.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Roger gives his opinion on the ATP/WTA court scheduling....(credit to onewoman74 from Menstennisforums)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080121...NZzYXrgz5Mz7QF

Women's tennis match should have moved to avoid midnight farce: Federer

by Robert Smith Mon Jan 21, 4:52 AM ET

MELBOURNE (AFP) - Roger Federer says a women's match should have been moved on centre court to prevent the farcical circumstances that led to the latest finish in Grand Slam history at the Australian Open.

Ramifications continued Monday over the organisers' decision to schedule a midnight start to a third round match between former finalists Lleyton Hewitt and Marcos Baghdatis that ended at 4:33am (1733 GMT) Sunday.

Hewitt won in five sets in four and three-quarter hours, giving his fourth round opponent, third seed Novak Djokovic, the benefit of an extra night's rest.

Tournament director Craig Tiley said he had consulted with Venus Williams and Sania Mirza on the possibility of moving their preceding match off centre court to allow for an earlier start to the men's match, but they refused.

The Herald Sun newspaper claimed Williams and Mirza were involved in an 25-minute "running row" with Tiley over the issue.

Federer, who with 12 Grand Slams is ranked by some as the greatest player of all-time, was asked, hypothetically, at a press conference if he would have moved his match if he had been requested to do so in a similar situation.

"I'm a pretty relaxed guy. Look, I don't ask for much in tournaments. If I ask for something they (organisers) know it's for real and they trust me, whatever," he said.

"But if they would come and tell me, 'You've got to move'. Honestly, I think the players shouldn't have too much of a say.

"We're happy to be playing here and we're happy they're putting us on Rod Laver Arena. Is it bad to be on Vodafone Arena? I don't think so. It's still a wonderful court.

"I'm not going after the ladies, I'm just saying I would be pretty relaxed and I would accept anything they would have done with me really at that stage.

"Really it happens so rarely that sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and you have to go through those things."

Federer said he also advocates an earlier start to night session matches to minimise the possibility of early morning finishes which disadvantage winners for their ensuing matches.

"I think we should maybe start the night sessions an hour earlier," he said.

"Instead of 7:30pm, why not 6:30pm? I'm not the mastermind behind everything. But I do agree sometimes the matches do start too late for us.

"That's what you get when you want to put women's and men's matches at the same time."

The reason matches at Melbourne Park start at 7.30pm is primarily to satisfy television interests.

Williams was reluctant to answer questions on the issue Monday, but defended the decision not to move her match off centre court.

"I think it wasn't just me. It was Sania Mirza also. Both of us wanted to play our match as scheduled, which is a normal thing to want," she said.

"So I think the tournament did a good job of recognizing the schedule. Everyone was dealing with the circumstances, all of the players, not just one. So we all did the best that we could."

Hewitt's match was running so late on Saturday because Federer was unexpectedly taken to five sets in an earlier match on centre court that ran to over four hours.

Tiley has insisted that giving the green light for the midnight start was the right thing to do, although the decision has been widely criticised in the media.

Of course Federer would say this. When he had to play on Court 1 at Wimbledon, he had no problem.
I'm sorry Venus seems to be one of the few people on tour with this "court preference" at the slams.
It's obvious that she is not the same player when they put her on the outside courts of Wimbledon.
Once she gets to Court 1 or the main court, she plays like a totally different person.

Maybe it's gotten to her head for this slam as well.
Mardy Fish didn't have a problem being moved in his match against Jarko a couple of days ago.

Matt01
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:49 PM

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=116153

Sad bastards :p

I'm not a fan of Venus but she and Mirza did the right thing. And accusing Venus of racism when there is no proof for that: Pathetic. :(

new-york
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM
oh god.

you're asked what you prefer, you answer, things just happen as it was planned.

how crazy.[/uh]

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM

I'm not a fan of Venus but she and Mirza did the right thing. And accusing Venus of racism when there is no proof for that: Pathetic. :(

who are you and what did you do with MattzeroOne? Do you have a fever? :lol::help: Meanwhile, I doubt Venus is losing sleep over this.

Matt01
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM
who are you and what did you do with MattzeroOne? Do you have a fever? :lol::help:

I have a stalker :p

Kart
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM
I :hearts: Roger but really I don't see the big deal.

Sport is unpredictable.

Bijoux0021
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:56 PM
Same reason I hardly post there. They are very insecure, and a bunch of crybabies. They are always whinning about women's tennis by putting it down. That's the only way they can feel better about themselves.

Bijoux0021
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
I love it how MTF say women's tennis suck in the ratings but the fact of the matter is whenever Venus or Serena are in a slam final they always beat the men's ratings :lol:
EXACTLY!

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM
My ywo cents.
1. Scheduling play are tournament organizers job and its not as easy as it sounds specially when rain delay happens. I agree with what Roger says about not having any issues moving to another court if asked to. However, I dont know Venus circumstance in there as she is also playing doubles.
Court preference has been the advantage of top players eversince. You dont see a top 50 player complain being on court 10 and on her next match, she will be on center court- a sudden change in atmosphere facing a top superstar and you expect them to play well in a overwhelming situation. You saw that from Marta Domachowska, playing in outside courts from first round till 3rd round and then suddenly you will be in center court in the 4 rth round and you expect them to play at the same level?
2. However, I really dont see any racist, sexist comments from any player specially Venus. She is just caught on the situation and the media is overhyping it and Venus handled it well.

Helen Lawson
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM
It's those dumb journalist people trying to provoke her into saying something they can blow out of proportion to make headlines the next day. I'm glad she was too clever to fall for that nonsense.

Anyway, I was there when they approached her and Venus responded, "the only matches that get bumped off a show court don't feature Venus Williams, and that's ME, baby, remember?"

raquel
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:36 PM
The difference is at the US Open he wouldn't even get asked. He'd be told he'd be getting moved. Look at the US Open 2003 when there was a lot of rain and how they scheduled everything around Agassi and Roddick.

supergrunt
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:13 PM
Of course Federer has to please all of his fans at the men's tennis forum by saying what they wanted to hear. :( And it annoys me how whenever he opens his mouth, people listen like its a jewel of advice coming down from the heavens to humanity survive... and that he is considered infallible

Fidello
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM
Of course Federer has to please all of his fans at the men's tennis forum by saying what they wanted to hear. :( And it annoys me how whenever he opens his mouth, people listen like its a jewel of advice coming down from the heavens to humanity survive... and that he is considered infallible:lol: yeah, he post there constantly and his nick is "ThatFedFella". You're sooo dumb :lol:

coolconchi
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:05 AM
Venus once again proving she has more class than Federer.

Marshmallow
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:11 AM
What's a bigger concern for me is that, this 'Rumour' may only have been started to fuel those 'racism deniers', who roll their eyes because some ethnic minority person is crying wolf about racism.

I just hope people didn't buy into it.

sorceress
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:14 AM
I find it ironic that Federer is laying the blame on Venus,if any player in to blame it's him for playing so long!

supergrunt
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:14 AM
:lol: yeah, he post there constantly and his nick is "ThatFedFella". You're sooo dumb :lol:

no you're dumb. I meant all of his male fans. :(

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
I read the mens forum and did not see anything too rediculous except for a couple of ignorant fools. But glad Venus stood her ground because I'm a male and i can see her point. she did nothing wrong.

Ummmmmm, someone on that board called Venus and Serena "pigs". That's ridiculous enough for me. There are plenty of tools on the menstennisforums which is why I only post there every once and a blue moon.

Fidello
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:13 AM
no you're dumb. I meant all of his male fans. :(:haha: Everything he does is to please his male fans. :haha:stop it

mykarma
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:01 AM
to shut the fvck up.

mykarma
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:06 AM

Damn Matt. :worship::worship::worship: