PDA

View Full Version : AO 3rd Dbls: Williams Sisters def. Ani/Tu 6-4 6-1

Paneru
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:26 AM
Job well done ladies. :cool:

mdterp01
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:28 AM
DAMN!! Seems like it was just 10 minutes ago I looked and it was 1-1 in the second set. Nice going V&S. I was worried after they got down the early break in the first set. Playing doubles is great and all as long as it doesn't affect their singles. No long drawn out doubles matches ladies. Good job.

xr6turbo
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:28 AM
:yeah: Only lost 2 more games after being down 1-3 in the first set! Well done :D:D

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:29 AM
:bounce: COME ON!

PatrickRyan
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:29 AM
Much better second set! :)
On to the quarterfinals :bounce:

Highlandman
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM
Williams-Sisters :D :yeah: Nice win :p

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:34 AM
Good win. I think this might be the end of Venus/Serena's run.

Venus' draw is open but at this point even if she makes the final and Serena makes the final, the fresher one will definitely be Serena.
If she wants the box set as much as she says she does, it's time to consider pulling out of doubles like at Wimbledon.

This was great preparation for the Olympics though.

StarDuvallGrant
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:36 AM
:woohoo: keep it up!

-VSR-
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:38 AM
Doubles is not taking that much out of them. I think they'll stay in it until they win or lose.

Paneru
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:40 AM

Venus' draw is open but at this point even if she makes the final and Serena makes the final, the fresher one will definitely be Serena.
If she wants the box set as much as she says she does, it's time to consider pulling out of doubles like at Wimbledon.

So long as Venus is healthy she'll
play. No question about it.

DimaDinosaur
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:40 AM
YAY Quarterfinals!!!!!!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:44 AM
I don't think playing doubles takes that much out of them, considering all they do is serve and return hard. Plus doubles takes probably 60% or less energy than playing singles.

Bitter Blue Bong
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:46 AM
Every win for Venus and Serena in singles and doubles has been in straight sets, so they should be good to go.

RenaSlam.
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:34 AM
Fuck yes! Take the title now!

sweetpeas
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:42 AM
Nice work out!ladies.

CJ07
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM

I think they're just doing doubles in lieu of a practice session.

Dodoboy.
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:54 AM
i see the doubles matches as an extra training session/workout...and they shouldn't withdraw!...onwards!

cardio
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
short video is here
http://ee.meie.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=3ecdde4a11b22b90c63e

ce
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:11 AM
:woohoo:

supergrunt
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:21 AM
short video is here
http://ee.meie.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=3ecdde4a11b22b90c63e

volta
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:09 AM
:woohoo:

Ben.
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:40 AM
well done vee & ree :yeah:

Avid Merrion
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:56 AM
:worship: go Team Williams!! :hearts:
best of luck in the next round!! :D

Il Primo!
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:06 AM
I think they're just doing doubles in lieu of a practice session.

Yeah, sounds good to me.

Jan 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM
This is just a great run for team Williams

Fan_of_Venus
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM
Congratulations V and Serena.

Direwolf
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
when they went down a break in the first set..
i was like..!!

"i think that it would be good for Venus if they happen to lose"
cuz... i dont know..
her thigh was tightly wrapped...

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:57 AM
great going team williams :woohoo:

no they shouldn't withdraw (to those who suggested it) since it's how they practice their shots in a situation when it matters...isn't that what everyone wants from them? to play more? but then want them to withdraw? why?

SV_Fan
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IIzEloZGsQw
Good win

.Andrew.
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Not much a surprise. :p
But good effort from Maret/Meilen in the first set. :)

Take the titles Williames! :rocker2:

SV_Fan
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Yay

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:38 PM
great going team williams :woohoo:

no they shouldn't withdraw (to those who suggested it) since it's how they practice their shots in a situation when it matters...isn't that what everyone wants from them? to play more? but then want them to withdraw? why?

Team Williams with a Serena avatar. :lol:
This isn't about "them". This is about Venus.
This probably will be her best chance at winning this slam and I would like her to take advantage of every opportunity.
She just does not seem as fresh as Serena. That's a fact.

We've seen what happened to Lindsay Davenport in 2005 when she played doubles, she just did not have enough for the final.
They're different players with different goals in life.
Serena has never mentioned she intended to get the box set.
Serena hasn't been adamant about women getting the same prize money as the men at Wimbledon.

At some point Venus is going to have to be just as focused (and possibly cutthroat) as Serena is in their slam final matches to beat her.

In The Zone
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:48 PM
Although on paper your argument seems right and would make sense, but it's not like Venus is playing doubles and then also having another hitting session -- she is doing doubles to replace a hitting session.

Doubles is practice. She isn't straining herself out there.

Serena has Jankovic and then Sharapova/Henin.

Venus has Ivanovic and then Hantuchova/Radwanska.

I think Serena will come into the final tired. Not Venus.

And being tired is meaningless. In a slam final, the girls will do anything to win. Adrenaline replaces fatigue.

In The Zone
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM
Comparing Vee's fitness to Davenport is insulting. :(

I want to see how Venus fares against Ana before we place more judgment.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:14 PM
Comparing Vee's fitness to Davenport is insulting. :(

I want to see how Venus fares against Ana before we place more judgment.

How is that insulting? Just because Lindsay can't move well doesn't mean that she isn't fit.
Did you see the same match at Wimbledon in 2005 that I saw?
They were both gasping for air at some point and their fitness made that match go so deep in the third set. If Lindsay was unfit she would have been crushed in that third set.

In The Zone
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Yes. but Venus would have been able to go on longer. I really hope we're not comparing the fitness of Venus Williams and Lindsay Davenport.

Lindsay was/is fit. Venus is fitter.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Although on paper your argument seems right and would make sense, but it's not like Venus is playing doubles and then also having another hitting session -- she is doing doubles to replace a hitting session.

Doubles is practice. She isn't straining herself out there.

Serena has Jankovic and then Sharapova/Henin.

Venus has Ivanovic and then Hantuchova/Radwanska.

I think Serena will come into the final tired. Not Venus.

And being tired is meaningless. In a slam final, the girls will do anything to win. Adrenaline replaces fatigue.

It doesn't matter who Venus plays.
She had breathing issues two months ago, was one of the reasons she didn't play the YEC.
She's mentioned she's anemic at times.
Adrenaline wasn't enough to overcome the fatigue she played against Justine at the US Open (which really was the slam final), so why would you think it's ok for her to push herself to this point.

This is the issue with Jankovic. :lol:
You can't trick you body and mind into thinking it's just an "advanced" hitting session.
If it looks like a match and feels like a match, it is a match. :lol:

V-MAC
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Nice work V&S :)

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Yes. but Venus would have been able to go on longer. I really hope we're not comparing the fitness of Venus Williams and Lindsay Davenport.

Lindsay was/is fit. Venus is fitter.

I showed an example of a tennis player who struggled a bit to get to the slam final and played on emotion in doubles with Corina to show the possibility that it could happen.

In The Zone
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
I think this is explains her level of her matches so far. She is conserving herself for when she really needs to demand her body for more. Hence why her strokes have been lacking her usual penetration and power. I think she saved herself for three solid matches -- the QF, SF, and F. She'll have a day off for Ana. Come back the next day for Hantuchova who Venus should be able to take care of easily. And then she'll have a day off for the final.

Venus knows how to treat her body. We don't know what's going on with her. If her body couldn't handle it, she wouldn't be playing doubles and have exerted herself so strongly in Hong Kong.

archie4
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:45 PM
This was a great doubles win from the Williams sisters! I watched the match on ESPN360, and there were some great points, especially in the first set. I do not think the sisters will pull out before their quarter-final match today. They seem very focused and are having a good time on the court! Remember, when the sisters were playing doubles more regularly, they were also playing great singles. Plus, I think the sisters would be smart to try to improve their doubles ranking before the Olympics.

Their next match will be very tough. Yan/Zheng are one of the top teams; although, they didn't play a lot at the end of last year due to injury. It will be a great test for both teams, and it should be a great match!

Destiny
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Yes come on ladies rack up those shots
At least they can practice their serves and play for titles