PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova, Tsarina of all Russias once again

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:33 AM
Fourteen women started the 128-player draw - more than any other country. One remains in the last eight.

Not too bad but it's obvious that Maria is head and shoulders above the rest and will remain so.

Some players that were disrespecting her in the Russian Fed Cup team should learn to respect her. :rolleyes:

heytennis
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:38 AM
She's obviously the most accomplished Russian female. She has shown time and time again that she is more than just a flash in the pan, but of course she still has a lot of doubters.

Sharapova can't even be compared with the likes of Chakvetadze, Petrova etc.

Kuznetsova is better than the other Russians but doesn't hold a candle to Sharapova.

Philbo
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM
Fourteen women started the 128-player draw - more than any other country. One remains in the last eight.

Not too bad but it's obvious that Maria is head and shoulders above the rest and will remain so.

Some players that were disrespecting her in the Russian Fed Cup team should learn to respect her. :rolleyes:
In terms of natural talent/potential etc, I think Svetlana has more game than Sharapova. I just think Svetlana is going to take a bit longer to mature 100%.
Svetlana needs to work on her mind. Thats where Sharapova is clearly superior at this stage. But Svetlana has a better all court game, I like her serve better (more variety to it) and think that when they both retire, Svetlana will have had the better career.

We shall see....

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM
:lol: Ironic..that it's the least "Russian" of them all, that's carrying the load.

pka_liloo
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM
lol at the thread name :lol:

mankind
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
In terms of natural talent/potential etc, I think Svetlana has more game than Sharapova. I just think Svetlana is going to take a bit longer to mature 100%.
Svetlana needs to work on her mind. Thats where Sharapova is clearly superior at this stage. But Svetlana has a better all court game, I like her serve better (more variety to it) and think that when they both retire, Svetlana will have had the better career.

We shall see....

Agreed.

Sharapova is one of the few top players who cannot (or has very poor technique) on the volley, slice, and basic variation her game. She has gotten to where she is through consistency and mental fortitude. No doubt Kuznetsova, Henin, Serena, Ivanovic, even Jankovic, have more game than Sharapova. Some of them just don't have the mindset to back it up, but that comes with time and experience.

The Daviator
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Myskina is the original and the best :angel:

Philbo
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM
Agreed.

Sharapova is one of the few top players who cannot (or has very poor technique) on the volley, slice, and basic variation her game. She has gotten to where she is through consistency and mental fortitude. No doubt Kuznetsova, Henin, Serena, Ivanovic, even Jankovic, have more game than Sharapova. Some of them just don't have the mindset to back it up, but that comes with time and experience.

Well you would hope the mindset comes with time and experience.. but it doesnt happen for everyone. Sabatini had the talent but never the mindset. I just hope Svetlana doesnt turn into another one slam wonder with loads of unfulfilled potential.

tennisbear7
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM

We shall see....

Agreed.

Cat123
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Interesting discussion about Maria vs. Sveta. I agree that Maria doesn't have as much style and grace, but her attitude and determination is what I admire about her. There are players I support for their style, there are others I support because they kick Belgian ass! :devil:

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
Sveta is the Russian #1.

Cat123
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
That right there is Maria's fault for crashing out of the USO so early ;) Won't stay that way for long...

Emina.
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:27 PM

deffinetly :cool: she's still there :worship:

Wuornos
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM

We shall see....

I hope you're right. I'm a big fan of Svetlana Kuznetsova and always support her when I get the opportunity. However, I do try to remain objective and at the moment I see a peak Sharapova being in another league to Svetlana.

If your correct, it will be fun to see.

Regards

Tim

Andy T
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:28 PM

We shall see....

That's exactly how I feel, Czechfan. I think that Sveta has the blessing/curse of a more sophisticated and complete game than most and, as was the case with Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova, will need more time to master it. Mauresmo and Novotna also fit into this category, in my opinion, though obviously were not on the same level as the first two I mentioned. Where Sveta ends up depends largely on how she matures mentally - both on the court and in her dedication to tennis in general.

Doc
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:32 PM
Maria has shown time and time again, that she's the Russian who has got the best results.

Maria at her best has always been a scale above the others.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:47 PM
And when Sharapova was bounced by Aga at the last major, there weren't threads about how she's not the Russian #1 any longer.
And she isn't the Russian #1. Sveta is.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
Maria is the best Russian player but I don't like the thread and I don't like you Sam ,

Philbo
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
That's exactly how I feel, Czechfan. I think that Sveta has the blessing/curse of a more sophisticated and complete game than most and, as was the case with Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova, will need more time to master it. Mauresmo and Novotna also fit into this category, in my opinion, though obviously were not on the same level as the first two I mentioned. Where Sveta ends up depends largely on how she matures mentally - both on the court and in her dedication to tennis in general.

Yep, totally agree..... The other person who agrees with us in terms of Sveta's game/potential is none other than Roger Federer! He is a Sveta fan!

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM
But it's not just her game. Sveta is not a smart tactical player.
When Aga had her mp, Sveta ran around her backhand, into the doubles alley and hit a huge dtl forehand. And missed it.
A low percentage shot on a point she HAD to win.

Sveta has to play a smarter game. She has tools to be great.

Sha_ra_po_va
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:11 PM

We shall see....
well, she also bears a lot more resemblance to your fav than maria does, so no surprise you pick her...:rolleyes:

LudwigDvorak
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:25 PM
Why is Sam obsessed with Russians? :tape: I thought I was bad. I guess the difference is I don't hate them all, of course.

lizchris
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM
And when Sharapova was bounced by Aga at the last major, there weren't threads about how she's not the Russian #1 any longer.

She won't be the Russian number one even if she wins the AO.

SharapovaFan16
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
Maria is #1 Russian, just not in rankings. If anyone has been watching Maria's matches you've seen how she has been looking more comfortable at net than years past and volleying rather well. People have to understand though that is never going to be Sharapova's style of game. I mean the girl is 6 foot 2 for christ sake, and is powerful, that's her game.

Brett Favre's game is throwing bullet passes into tight spaces, and taking chances when given the opportunity, and he's carved out a hall of fame career using this blueprint. Some of you people crack me up.

slamchamp
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
only in ranking, Sharapova is in another league

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:43 PM
Yeah, Sveta is #1 in ranking. Sharapova is #1 in some other league.

schorsch
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:17 PM
I love the thread title :haha: Tsarina. Friggin' awesome :P

Philbo
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
well, she also bears a lot more resemblance to your fav than maria does, so no surprise you pick her...:rolleyes:
Oh yeah.. I just LOVE choosing players to support based on their resemblance to my fave. Thats my only criteria for who I support.

Are you older than 14 years of age?

Shimizu Amon
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM
Well we can discuss about the styles of all the Russian players, fact is that Masha is once again the last Russian standing. Makes me proud.

And I really like the thread title :).

Il Primo!
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM
At first, I was also convinced that Sveta had the brightest future of all russians gathered. I didn't see anything in Maria's game when she won Wimbledon whereas I was amazed by Sveta's level in NY.
BUT, from 2005 Maria's improved a lot and is still a work in progress. She is the real deal. Sveta is not even close anymore.

faboozadoo15
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Sharapova's the bomb. She'll get back to WORLD #1. She doesn't give a shit about being ranked above Kuzi.

stevos
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:22 PM
Yeah, Sveta is #1 in ranking. Sharapova is #1 in some other league.

:rolleyes:
I'm sure you'd have something else to say if Maria was the #1 Russian. "Easy draws!" you'd cry. You were a fan of her this fall, what changed? :awww: Ridiculous.

Also, a "mindset" doesn't just come to you after years of play, to respond to posters on the first page. Kuznetsova has continued to have strange and disgusting losses pretty consistently for the last few years. She does have a great game, and I enjoy it when it's on, but when she's off she's the most frustrating person to watch in my opinion. Sure, after a few years she might know what shot to choose more effectively, but she won't suddenly have the mental fortitude Maria, Justine, Serena or Venus have. Amelie's still choking. Petrova's still choking.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:24 PM
Nothing's changed. Sveta is the Russian #1, no matter what you clowns want to believe

stevos
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM
Maybe you just don't have enough self-awareness to notice the stark contrast in how your posts come across now compared to when Maria was down and out. I'm fine with giving Sveta the #1 for now, whoever has it deserves it. But Maria sure got the exact same shit Sveta is getting here when she had #1 in the world.

Il Primo!
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM
Since Maria won Wimbledon:

USO04:Kuz is the last russian
AO05: Pova
RG05: Petrova/Likhotseva
Wimbledon05: Pova
USO05: Pova/LenaD
AO06: Pova
RG06: Kuz
Wimbledon06:Pova
USO06: Pova
AO07:Pova
RG07:Pova
Wimbledon07:Kuz
USO07:Kuz
AO08: Pova

Seems pretty clear to me.

Philbo
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:19 PM
Also, a "mindset" doesn't just come to you after years of play, to respond to posters on the first page. Kuznetsova has continued to have strange and disgusting losses pretty consistently for the last few years. She does have a great game, and I enjoy it when it's on, but when she's off she's the most frustrating person to watch in my opinion. Sure, after a few years she might know what shot to choose more effectively, but she won't suddenly have the mental fortitude Maria, Justine, Serena or Venus have. Amelie's still choking. Petrova's still choking.

Your last couple of sentences are my nagging doubt about Sveta. You could also look at Martina Navratilova for the other example - Martina won 16 of her 18 slams between 25-30 years old after being inconsistent and suffering some horrible losses for the first part of her career...i guess it could go either way with Sveta..

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:27 PM
Justine used to choke plenty of times.
When you have an all court game, you have to learn to maximize it.
When you just pound it flat, it's different.

Philbo
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:31 PM
Justine used to choke plenty of times.
When you have an all court game, you have to learn to maximize it.
When you just pound it flat, it's different.

Yep.. totally correct.... thats why i think Sveta has more room for improvement than Maria..

Marco Fernandes
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:32 PM
Agreed.

Ivanovic has more technique than maria? Oh please, Ivanovic's game is based on her forehand... even her backhand is not that great, although she's been improving, just like Maria is.

If you check maria's game 1 year ago and nowadays, you'll notice a big difference. Her net volleys are so much better than before and she use them more than before too... The fact that sometimes she doesn't go to the net is because she doesn't need it, she has the key to win any tournament in her serve, backhand and forehand, although she uses her touch too sometimes.

Tamus
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:39 PM
Too many people confuse variety for talent/ability.

Wiggly
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:35 PM
Sharapova wants a lot of Slams. She doesn't give a fawk about being the Russian #1.

PaulHopkins
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
I'm sure if she stays injury free that Maria will easily finish 2008 as Russian #1

stevos
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
Your last couple of sentences are my nagging doubt about Sveta. You could also look at Martina Navratilova for the other example - Martina won 16 of her 18 slams between 25-30 years old after being inconsistent and suffering some horrible losses for the first part of her career...i guess it could go either way with Sveta..

I completely agree, and you make a great point. It will be very interesting to see which Svetlana is molded, and I think a big part of it will be the people around her, along with staying injury/crisis free. But yes, I'm completely unsure as to which will be the more prolific Kuznetsova. She definitely has the potential to be the better though. Her mind isn't that terrible. ;)

Danči Dementia
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
Well we can discuss about the styles of all the Russian players, fact is that Masha is once again the last Russian standing. Makes me proud.

And I really like the thread title :).

sVETA IS BETTER THAN HER.....AND sVETA is RUSSIAN

Sam L
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:08 AM
sVETA IS BETTER THAN HER.....AND sVETA is RUSSIAN

Ouch! But Catherine the Great - the most famous and greatest of all Tsarinas - wasn't really Russian after all. ;)

metamorpha
Nov 25th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Let me bump a jinx thread.

We know what happened to Maria shortly after this...

There was a new Tsarina called Dinara, but she's a choker and suffered a back injury. Unlike Maria, her situation seems to be much worse.

Sveta *surprisingly* won her 2nd slam thanks to mentally weak Dinara. Unsurprisingly, she's still a headcase and half-committed to the game after that, nothing really changed for Sveta.

How unpredictable, what would happen 3 years later when Maria stormed her way to the title in AO 2008.

atominside
Nov 25th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Maria's the best russian player male or female EVER :inlove:

Sam L
Nov 25th, 2011, 11:22 PM
God, I'm so melodramatic. :oh:

Mistress of Evil
Nov 25th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Имперетрица Машенька to reclaim her AO throne in 3 months' time! :hearts:

madmax
Nov 25th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I always wondered why so many russian posters hate and even despise Maria? Do they feel like she's american because she trained and learned the game an "american way"? Other players usually have much more support from their compatriots - not the case with Mashenka...hmm:unsure:

denny5576
Nov 26th, 2011, 04:30 AM

2012 will be 9th year hearing how talented is Sveta.
Do you want us waiting another 9 years before to see that talent?

ExtremespeedX
Nov 26th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I always wondered why so many russian posters hate and even despise Maria? Do they feel like she's american because she trained and learned the game an "american way"? Other players usually have much more support from their compatriots - not the case with Mashenka...hmm:unsure:

Please let it stay that way. I've had just about enough from blind nationalists promoting/hyping their mediocre players just because he/she is from their country.

duhcity
Nov 26th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Please let it stay that way. I've had just about enough from blind nationalists promoting/hyping their mediocre players just because he/she is from their country.

It doesn't happen as much from Russia because they have so many players.

It's places like Australia, with a player who everyone by consensus thinks is a little bitch (Tomic), that accepts almost anyone because they're a good player.
ohandithinkheshottoo :oh:

young_gunner913
Nov 26th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Имперетрица Машенька to reclaim her AO throne in 3 months' time! :hearts:

Is she playing Legend Doubles?

Mistress of Evil
Nov 26th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Is she playing Legend Doubles?

No!:rolleyes: She is after the Wooden Spoon Award so be careful how you are talking, ти селянино! :o

Mikey.
Nov 26th, 2011, 11:02 AM
It doesn't happen as much from Russia because they have so many players.

It's places like Australia, with a player who everyone by consensus thinks is a little bitch (Tomic), that accepts almost anyone because they're a good player.
ohandithinkheshottoo :oh:

Totally! :tears: And they don't even have to be a good player. With all the hype from the media people don't really know any different. Some people would probably even rip your tits off if you said anything bad about any of Australia's sporting "heroes".

I've noticed Chinese posters do this a lot as well.

MechWarrior2k
Nov 26th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Maria's leadership over the Russian girls is about as effective as Czar Nicholas II in 1917.

thrust
Nov 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Maria's leadership over the Russian girls is about as effective as Czar Nicholas II in 1917.

Maria is Russian born, but has lived most of her life in America. In reality she is now an American, like many others who left their Homeland for the US. The Russian players know and accept this reality, therefore, they do not consider her a Russian.

young_gunner913
Nov 26th, 2011, 03:43 PM

Maria is Russian born, but has lived most of her life in America. In reality she is now an American, like many others who left their Homeland for the US. The Russian players know and accept this reality, therefore, they do not consider her a Russian.

That went right over your head didn't it? :sobbing:

Sam L
Jun 10th, 2012, 04:14 AM

Actually right now, it's looking more like Catherine the Great's leadership. :oh: