PDA

View Full Version : AO 4R : [8] Venus Williams (USA) def. [Q] Marta Domachowska (POL) 6-4 6-4

LindsayRulz
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:31 AM
Venus :yeah:

BigBabeTENNIS
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:33 AM
Well Done Venus Played Well Dom Cant Hit Winners From Any Wer Good Macth Ha

Tennisation
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:35 AM
Venus broken 3 times by a qualifier:tape:
she's been having really slow starts, she can't afford to do that against Ana

TTomek
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:36 AM
Marta :yeah:

good to see you back :hug:

A'DAM
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:37 AM
Cograts Venus

Respect to Marta!!!

Jeff
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:38 AM
Venus :D

:D And still, great tournament for Marta. She shouldn't be discouraged at all. I hope she continues to play the way she has been, and has a great 2008.

Ben.
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:41 AM
Well done Venus :yeah: not a great win, but she's through the quarters which is all that matters :D hopefully she can lift her game against Ana. Keep it going Vee!

Marta :hug: first time I have ever seen her play & she has the talent to get back in the Top 50 :)

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:42 AM
Well done Venus :worship: She has started off slow in all her matches, but picked it up when it was necessary. AND her stats have improved in each match :yeah:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4703/oraceneok8.jpg
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4316/oracenennhe8.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1948/serenale3.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7452/vvvyf6.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7551/warriorxg6.jpg
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8984/warrior1fv2.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/9569/vvvllid2.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5113/ffffhhnnthgod8.jpg
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/6269/image1ft4.jpg

P.S. you did well Marta :yeah:

supergrunt
Venus :D !

Veronique

Did you watch the match? If so what a dumb thing to say. Vee could have lost this match if she had a slow start.

spriwi
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:43 AM
well played marta, she put everything at stake, taking enormous risk at times. was close, she just couldnt finish it off.

vee you gotta do better vs ana

Uranium
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:45 AM

Did you watch the match? Marta is a former top 40 player and hit EXTREMELYwell today and beat Na Li.
Good fight Vee. WIN YOUR FIRST AO THIS YEAR:bounce:

Dexter
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:46 AM
All I hope for is that Marta keeps this level up this year. It was a fantastic tournament for her.
Congrats Venus.

papru
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:47 AM
great match from Marta!! I cant wait for her next tournaments!!

spiritedenergy
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:48 AM
Marta was ripping apart Venus first and second serve. Too bad she couldn't finish the job due to UEs and poor net skills. Venus played really poor and ugly:tape:

Anyway Marta you played great:wavey:

mdterp01
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:48 AM
Venus did a lot of running in this match and she just seemed a bit lethargic to me. However, its still a straight sets win, and if you look at the numbers, it was actually a very well played match from her. Her serving % was good and its great that she was able to break many times as well, but she really needs to focus on taking care of her service games. Go Venus!! NOW BEAT ANA and go to the final!! :worship:

junlee_vee
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:49 AM
Did you watch the match? If so what a dumb thing to say. Vee could have lost this match if she had a slow start.

Don't pay attention to that person. He/she is obviously either mentally challenged, or an idiot.

Marta played really well and would have taken it to three sets/won against a lot of other players, but Venus played clean, focused tennis, and did what she had to do to get through.

She'll win in straights against Ana like she always does, and then cruise into the final.

gmokb
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:50 AM
I hope she picks up going forward. I am still seeing her in the finals but with a fight. Also, if she makes it to the final she will lose based on how she is playing now. However, a win is a win and I will take it. On we go Vee!!!

bellascarlett
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:53 AM
Really good showing from Marta. Hope she keeps rising throughout the year. :)

Venus played alright, just enough to win this match. Might actually be enough to get to the final.

itzhak
Marta was brilliant. Just few UE's in some crucial points gave Venus the match but the match was dictated by Marta in most of the time. The result is misleading, it was very tough for Venus out there...

vw.
I let it go after the first few rounds, but I really think Venus' movement is absolutely sub par. Like, I don't know if its just me, but she seems to be slow to react to the balls, and she isnt pushing off her backfoot when she's being wrong-footed as quickly as she can. Maybe it's the surface? Anyways, Venus really needs to pick up the pace in her next round because Ana's playing great.

Anyways, good to get into another Grand Slam Quarterfinal Venus! :D

atptour03
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:55 AM
I kind of feel that Venus is holding back and maybe saving herself and trying to peak for the quarters, semis, and finals. There is no doubt that Venus has to up her level against Ana Ivanovic. I think she will rise to the occassion.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:56 AM
nice to see Marta going for it-cant believe she was the one dictating play :worship:

Venus better get to the final

Keadz
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:58 AM
Impressed from Marta, she has the game to be in the top 20...I can understand how she beat Li now. SHE WAS OUT HITTING HER!! To many erros though especially on important points!

Venus seems to be very passive lately, I can't see her winning playing like that but I guess if she doesn't want to waste energy its working.

adam_ads_n
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:01 AM
Venus did the same, as Marta did to Li - played better in crucial points. Marta wasn't scared of Venus, but she started losing, while not having 1st serve in. It was a close match.

Venus - win the title, and Marta - good luck in South American tournaments. She's got a chance of winning some title there!

muniu
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:01 AM
Marta I'm shocked :eek: so proud of ya! :D
Vee - COngrats!

BigBabeTENNIS
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:02 AM
Fight Venus At Least She Winning Easy Ha

RenaSlam.
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:03 AM
Nice win.

cometz9
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:05 AM
Well Done Venus!!! I'm pleased with her win no matter how she got it done. Good Luck against Ana :D

Marta :clap2: she deserves a congratulation for getting thru qualies and making Rd4. I really hope she continues to play great tennis at her next events. Good Luck.

Black Mamba.
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:09 AM
Venus played decent. Marta played really well. To be honest V looked like she came in there with the game plan of playing conservative tennis.

cancelled1
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:35 AM
Congrats Venus! Played well when she needed to and that counts the most.
Marta played very well and I hope she has a great year.

Karsten Braasch
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:36 AM
Marta is still so much better.

Marta! :hearts:

korben
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:38 AM
Dreadfull match really. Glad it ended so fast.

Good that Williams advanced. She vs. Ivanovic might be decent match :yeah:

DownTheLine21
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:56 AM
Good win. Domachowska really let it rip. If she could have cut down on the unforced errors, she may have been able to extend it to a third set. Marta showed Ana what needs to be done against Venus, but, nonetheless, a completely different, much more focused Venus will come out in the QF.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:16 AM
Venus played okay...still can get better though. I'm still waiting for CLASSIC Venus to show up. The girl she played was a VERY good returner. She fed off of Venus speed...I actually think she returns better than Ivanovic who's she set to play next. Venus didnt have too many unforced errors....good thing is that she converted break points well, but still having a hard time holding serve...(cant do that from this point on) still a win is a win...Come big sister!!! I'm pushing for a all Williams Final BABY!!!

Bruno71
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:24 AM
I think Venus actually played a great match...kept the errors low and let her opponent make the mistakes. It's better than racking up the UFE's for no good reason, she would have won this match no matter what.

Marta's game could use some serious shaping, but she seems to have all the tools to be a top 10 or 20 contender.

Highlandman
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:29 AM
Venus :woohoo: :D :yeah: Already best AO since 2003 :yeah: :D :worship:

Nice match by Marta & great tourney for you :D

ALLEZ Venus in QF! :rocker2: :D

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:33 AM
I think Venus actually played a great match...kept the errors low and let her opponent make the mistakes. It's better than racking up the UFE's for no good reason, she would have won this match no matter what.

Marta's game could use some serious shaping, but she seems to have all the tools to be a top 10 or 20 contender.

I do too... I still don't understand how much more some people want from her. This is one of the cleanest matches thus far. Yes she was broken 3 times, but she in turn broke her opponent 5 times. She was playing a fiesty player who was going for broke at times and she still managed to win in straight set. Where's the problem? I have no doubt she will up her level for the ¼ finals .

renstar
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:39 AM
Good win by Venus but to me she never seems to have the same intesity in tournaments other than Wimbledon. Wimbledon she plays as though its her life, The aus open she looks like shes playing good tennis but never brilliant. She will have to lift her game a lot to take the title!

mankind
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:39 AM
Marta - no more qualies! :woohoo:

Bitter Blue Bong
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:41 AM
I do too... I still don't understand how much more some people want from her. This is one of the cleanest matches thus far. Yes she was broken 3 times, but she in turn broke her opponent 5 times. She was playing a fiesty player who was going for broke at times and she still managed to win in straight set. Where's the problem? I have no doubt she will up her level for the ¼ finals .

Agreed. I thought Venus played well -- not the level she showed at the past two slams, but still good. This makes four straight set wins, so clearly she must be doing something right.

Karsten Braasch
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:41 AM
Beauty vs. The Beast

The Beast won :sad:

Cat's Pajamas
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:42 AM
Well done Venus! :bigclap:

Finally Top 5 again! :drool: But you are going to need to kick into a new gear from here on out!. Good luck in the quarterfinals! :yeah:

-VSR-
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:49 AM
Glad she's in the quarterfinals. :D

Prizeidiot
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM
Pretty good stuff from Marta... I never thought she looked a chance to win, but she definitely held her own there. Only played a few poor points, unfortunate that most of them were on pretty big points. But great tournament from her anyway!

Wolverines08
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:54 AM
Well done Venus! :bigclap:

Finally Top 5 again! :drool: But you are going to need to kick into a new gear from here on out!. Good luck in the quarterfinals! :yeah:

Wow...how high can Venus go during this tournament?

mdterp01
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:55 AM
Beauty vs. The Beast

The Beast won :sad:

:haha: :lol: Hater!! Let me pass you some HATERADE!!

V's a star
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:56 AM
anyone goin to upload it?

V's a star
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:57 AM
anyone going to upload it?

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:00 AM
Marta was ripping apart Venus first and second serve. Too bad she couldn't finish the job due to UEs and poor net skills. Venus played really poor and ugly:tape:

Anyway Marta you played great:wavey:

What match did you watch? :rolleyes:

Vamos Feńa
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:55 AM
anyone going to upload it?

Yeah, someone pls upload it!!! My recorder sucked that night and I have no match to watch, I wanted to see Marta so badly :sad:

Viktymise
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:00 AM
Cmon Vee. :armed:

Now kill Ivanovic AGAIN!

Haute
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:09 AM
There was a comment in one of Venus' earlier matches that Pam Shriver made that I think rings pretty true for Venus; if she's playing a lower ranked player she has this tendency to bring her game down, but when it comes time to play someone ranked higher she rises to the occasion.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:24 AM
Wow, I didn't expect such a close result. Well done Marta, great tournament for you and welcome in the top100 :D
Congrats Venus :hug:

ce
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:14 AM
:woohoo:

vesanto
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:13 AM
Venus footwork was terrible but she stayed though out there. I agree, she doesn't seem very alive on the court, especially during the rallies, her stamina is quite low. I hope everything is ok.

tonythetiger
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
I think Venus is conserving her energy because she knows that there is a lot more tennis to play. I think she's also trying to protect herself against injuries (like Federer). This is the first major of the year and she knows that her success depends on the health of her body. She's doing what she needs to win and not kill herself doing. Also, she played a very good player today who was doing a fantastic job against Vee's first serve. Other than the fact that Venus didn't serve out the match at 5-3, I thought she played well.

Calypso
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM
Go Venus!

.Andrew.
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM
Venus :banana:
Still not her best performance :shrug: But I'll take it because a win is a win. She has to step up big time against Ana or there will be a lot of trouble. :unsure:

Marta :bowdown: Wonderful performance. She was smacking those first serves back like they were nothing. :lol: I was def. impressed, I havent seen her play in awhile. And welcome back to Top 100 and great to have you back! :bounce:

V-MAC
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:47 PM

Yep I agree she played quite a good match too. People seem to be complaining that Vee is letting herself get outhit but maybe this is part of her strategy where she will let her opponents dictate (Vee's defence is good enough to allow this) and ultimately they will run out of steam.The commentator's on eurosport put it quite well last night when they said that Vee just seems to be "riding out the storm" and that is exactly how she seems to be approaching these matches. She is playing very controlled tennis and doesn't feel the need to bash the ball as history will tell you that this is when Vee plays her worst and loses when she is trying to forefully outhit her opponents which nearly always triggers off a rash of unforced errors. Ultimately, I just think Vee is playing very mature and intelligent tennis at the Aus Open right now.

btw, is it just me or has Vee's second serve changed? It seems much more effective now. I just noticed in her last few matches how her opponents have been struggling to put a lot of Vee's second serves in play which is unusual:eek:

V-MAC
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:48 PM
Also, forgot to say congrats Venus :lol: :bounce:

Sylwiiia
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
Good job Venus. Congratz Marta it was amazing tournament for her.

I think that Venus is saving her energy. She didn't have to do anything more to beat Marta. I am sure that if there was need to bring game to another level she would do it.

I am sure that against Ana there will be totally diffrent Venus. And also Ana didn't impresed me in her match against Caroline.

LefandePatty
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:09 PM
Marta. :hug:

Fantastic tournament anyway. :bowdown: :hearts: :yeah:

Black Mamba.
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:18 PM
V-Mac and Infiniti put it best. Vee is playing conservative tennis because she's trying not to self destruct in the early rounds. We all have seen Vee self-destruct when she plays too aggressive.

.:sk:.
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
Marta :bigcry: :hug: Great AO for you :D

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
Yep I agree she played quite a good match too. People seem to be complaining that Vee is letting herself get outhit but maybe this is part of her strategy where she will let her opponents dictate (Vee's defence is good enough to allow this) and ultimately they will run out of steam.The commentator's on eurosport put it quite well last night when they said that Vee just seems to be "riding out the storm" and that is exactly how she seems to be approaching these matches. She is playing very controlled tennis and doesn't feel the need to bash the ball as history will tell you that this is when Vee plays her worst and loses when she is trying to forefully outhit her opponents which nearly always triggers off a rash of unforced errors. Ultimately, I just think Vee is playing very mature and intelligent tennis at the Aus Open right now.

btw, is it just me or has Vee's second serve changed? It seems much more effective now. I just noticed in her last few matches how her opponents have been struggling to put a lot of Vee's second serves in play which is unusual:eek:

You are correct as far as Vee playing intelligent tennis. She is handling her opponents outhitting her in the same fashion Hingis did against her.I guess she learned something from her nemesis :lol: Also at one point in the match last night, her 2nd serve was more effective that the first :eek:

Dodoboy.
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:36 PM
Very clever way to bring Hingis to this...that is very true!

serenaforever
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
My nerves are getting frayed from Venus's matches, but not this one. She's gradually stepping up her game. Plus she never stops fighting; she's determined this time. :banana:

Dodoboy.
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:38 PM
i loved seeing Serena there!

moon
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:17 PM
Venus played decent. Marta played really well. To be honest V looked like she came in there with the game plan of playing conservative tennis.
that's exactly what she did IMO. I think people are forgetting that she played Marta before, and probably knew going in Marta was going to be firing away. She played it safe, then kicked it up a notch at the end of both sets. Her plan was brilliant!

Vamos Feńa
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:04 PM
that's exactly what she did IMO. I think people are forgetting that she played Marta before

So did Venus :lol:
check 6:55 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD8FtfwG0Hc
;)

markhingis
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Marta, great run at this AO you had. Your ranking is getting better and better. Good luck in your next tournament!
Congrats Venus!

Michael!
Jan 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
Not a good match from Vee, but Marta is diffiult to play!
They both hit the ball very hard and that´s the reason why they made so many UE!
But Vee made the important points and that was the difference...
Only 1 DF and great net attacks, good signs and I´m sure she can raise her game against Ana! The second set from Ivanovic against Wozniacki wasn´t good, if she plays like that Venus will win without problems....

serenus_2k8
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:01 PM
Venus will want this win over Ana sooo much, and she knows she can do it. Im betting on her all the way! :D

Serena-rules-no1
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:07 PM
lucky one Venus

prepare to salute the open next round

jonny84
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Marta had a fantastic tournament!
Well done to Vee for getting to the QFs!

Marshmallow
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM
That was hard fought. Smart, controlled aggression from Venus - and erratic play from Marta. You just knew she couldn't keep up that level.

I'm just Glad Venus is through, Won - Semi - Quarters* of her last 3 slams. That's a major improvement, more consistency in her results.

She'll have to play better against Ana, and preferably, get her footwork together.

But she is looking good, to get past Ana is straight sets.

Also; best result at the AO since 2003. :bounce:

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:42 PM
lucky one Venus

prepare to salute the open next round

STFU:rolleyes:

Corswandt
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM
I thought I hadn't seen Domachowska play since late 2005, but I saw her at the Canada Tier I in August '06 - vs Molik IIRC. She seemed like something of a pusher back then. So what I saw today really was a surprise. Domachowska seems like something of a cross between Sprem and Szavay. Not quite as go-for-broke explosive as Sprem, but a powerful hitter nonetheless, not quite as flairsome as Szavay, but also with a game that is just a delight to look at: quick, compact strokes, clean hitting (loved the sound coming off her racquet) off both sides, excellent 1st serve (when it did go in - usually not when it really mattered).