PDA

View Full Version : "Shes a mental case" Mary Joe on Petrova

Tennisstar86
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:31 AM
Ohhh... Truer words have never been spoken... this term can be applied to most girls on the tour....

tennisbear7
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:32 AM
She is a mental headcase. She certainly has the game to win slams.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:33 AM
Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black?
:tape:

cartmancop
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:34 AM
Glad she didn't skate around the issue when asked :lol:

cartmancop
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:47 AM
& right on cue, Nadia begins to help illustrate MJF's point...

Kenny
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:47 AM

roflmao.

mdterp01
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:51 AM
:lol: :tape: @ Petrova

cartmancop
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:51 AM
Radwanska is basically able to tap the ball down the middle as Petrova implodes!

LudwigDvorak
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:56 AM
Nadia was playing beautifully...now she's down a break in the third. Dani's losing. Venus is playing like shit.

My favorites are worthless at this event.

svetaisthebest
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:03 AM
ouch...

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:06 AM
Thanks, Mary Joe "4-2 in the final set against Graf in French Open final" Fernandez. :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:06 AM
What did Mary Joe ever win?
And she's a sellout for any IMG client. Mary Joe is up Sharapova's ass.

mykarma
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:09 AM
:lol:

UDACHi
TENNIS: mary joe fernandez > nadia petrova.
not that that matters, mary joe is a commentator and i'm glad she's got the balls to say this.

Wannabeknowitall

Lindsay and Sharapova's ass. Sometimes it's tough for her to decide which ass has more money coming out of it for her.
You would expect shit to come out typically but for Mary it's gold.

KBdoubleu
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:10 AM

ummm how did calling Petrova a mental case infer that Mary Jo wasn't one herself?

woosey
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:16 AM
Thanks, Mary Joe "4-2 in the final set against Graf in French Open final" Fernandez. :rolleyes:

you remember that?

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:19 AM
you remember that?

Yes, I used to be a big fan of hers when she was playing. And it was especially bitter to swallow a Graf victory there because it was straight after Seles's stabbing.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:19 AM
you remember that?

I think the tennis channel showed enough french open highlights from the 90s for EVERYONE to see it. :lol:

tennisrocks123
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:29 AM
i thought the way she said that was a bit harsh, but that's who she is. and i do agree though.

tennis needs some new commentators, particularly on the women's side!!!

fammmmedspin
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:34 AM

Thats Graf though. If you wrote off everyone in the eighties and nineties who lost a lead to Graf you wouldn't have any players left.
MJF actually has a lot of matches that proved she could tough it out - most notably the classic comeback against Sabatini at the Fench.

Jakeev
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:54 AM
ummm how did calling Petrova a mental case infer that Mary Jo wasn't one herself?
Honey, you been here long enough that to get back at somebody like Fernandez that says something negative about another player, you have to remind the rest of us that she didn't do anything better as a player. (although Mary Joe had a solid career)
It's a weak way get back at former playing commentators but the poster had nothing better to come up with.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:54 AM

well no...she's an expert on it so she's well qualified to know who else is one...call it takes one to know one lol

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:55 AM
Certainly the best way to describe her.

raquel
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:23 PM
MJF actually has a lot of matches that proved she could tough it out - most notably the classic comeback against Sabatini at the Fench.I think that one had more to do with the fact that it was Gaby. Gaby was going through her own mental nightmares during matches at that time. Mary Joe would never dare say this about an IMG client.

DownTheLine21
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM

Don't remind us! Mary Joe really should have won that one. She deserved at least one grand slam in her career.

Steffica Greles
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:38 PM

Indian Wells 1995
Brighton (tier 2) 1995
Berlin 1997

To name only the ones that spring to mind.

Wins against Seles, Sabataini, Capriati, Sanchez-Vicario, Novotna, Pierce, Martinez, Serena Williams.

Not bad?

In practically her last ever match, in 1999, she almost defeated Venus Williams at the US Open. Had she not fell and injured herself before the rain break, she might have done.

RenaSlam.
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:40 PM
She's right.

Petrova is also fat.

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM
So what, Nadia beat Justine in the 2006 Berlin Final.
Tier I red clay. That final made her streak 23 wins in 24 matches for Nadia.
She's allowed to lose a match where she's up a set and a break and says she's injured afterwards.
Without some IMG puppet insulting her like that.

Kart
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:43 PM
Nadia's not a mental case.

She's lacking match play and confidence - it's natural to doubt yourself more when you're on the comeback trail.

partbrit
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:45 PM
TENNIS: mary joe fernandez > nadia petrova.
not that that matters, mary joe is a commentator and i'm glad she's got the balls to say this.

MJF had a great career, mostly in doubles, and was a very good player. She's also a good commentator. Petrova has a load of talent but is a super head case and why shouldn't MJF point out the obvious? Same goes for other good players, like Schnyder and Petrova.

(However, I do not agree that male genitalia = courage.)

goldenlox
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:45 PM
Mary Joe has too big a conflict of interest to be an announcer. She's married to an IMG agent.
So all her comments are coming from a biased perspective.
Who says Mary Joe isn't the mental case? Fucking tool.

dybbuk
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM
:weirdo: at some people in this thread. If being better than a player in a certain aspect of tennis is a requirement for criticizing them about it, then I hope nobody on this board says a bad word about any player in the top 20 from now on.

coolconchi
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
hey people,
i think you are all missing the point here. It doesnt matter what we say on wtaworld about Nadia - she has her fans and she has her haters like any player, but for a commentator to say she is " a mental case" is extremely unprofessional. Dont even get me started on Mary Jo being objective :rolleyes:

tennisbear7
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:25 AM
But she IS a mental headcase.

dybbuk
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:28 AM
hey people,
i think you are all missing the point here. It doesnt matter what we say on wtaworld about Nadia - she has her fans and she has her haters like any player, but for a commentator to say she is " a mental case" is extremely unprofessional. Dont even get me started on Mary Jo being objective :rolleyes:

A commentators job is to critique a player's game, and that includes their mental game. Do you object to the wording? Would you prefer head case? nutjob? mentally unstable? take your pick, but surely we aren't splitting hairs so much as to take issue with "mental case"?

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:31 AM
Nadia has won 7 titles since Oct 2005.
She lost a match where she was up a break.
Big deal. She called for the trainer and said she was injured afterwards.
Nadia won Tier II Paris last year after saving a mp vs Mauresmo. She's come back to win other matches also.

If Mary Joe doesn't understand that, she's a jackass.
If she does understand it and still insults Nadia in that way, then she's an IMG biased jackass.

Sharapova had 3 mp's on her serve and lost the match in the 2005 AO. Call her a mental case

swissmr
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:35 AM
She is spot on.
This isn't the first or the last time Petrova's lost a match like that.
I like it when commentators have the guts to just say what they think.