PDA

View Full Version : Someone gag Mary Carillo

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:25 AM
Also, tell her even if she takes off her mic, we can still hear her!!!

cartmancop
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:29 AM
:lol: I wonder if Mary knows we can hear her cackling in the background! I heard other commentators this AO too in the background, good thing none of them have come out and said something terribly offensive :lol:

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:31 AM
Domahowska or Domachowska? Which is it Mary??? :p

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM
Domahowska or Domachowska? Which is it Mary??? :p

Whichever one makes her sound as deep as a man.

mckyle.
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:37 AM
She hasn't been as bad this year. She's actually come off likable to me.

bellascarlett
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:39 AM
Whichever one makes her sound as deep as a man.

:lol:

I miss my US commentators esp Mary Joe...I'm stuck with starsports. They're good but no fun.

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:46 AM
She says lots of stupid stuff, but I still like her better than some of the other commentators.

LudwigDvorak
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:49 AM
LOL at her going on and on about This Is Spinal Tap. Then her cackling about whatever with her mic off. Hilarious.

Kenny
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:50 AM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this annoyance.

Fingon
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:58 AM
she is getting on my nerves with calling any player under 30 a kid.

Wozniacki is a kid, she is 17 for fuck sake Mary, she is a teenager, not a kid.

And she called Domachowska a kid, who is 22.

Somebody ban the word kid.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
So close but no cigar.
I almost thought that Mary Carillo would go the entire fortnight without mentioning something about challenges.

She didn't say anything on unlimited challanges when she had the chance but she's going off when it comes to the looking up to the player's box to ask a coach for help on challanges.

faboozadoo15
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:09 AM
she is getting on my nerves with calling any player under 30 a kid.

Wozniacki is a kid, she is 17 for fuck sake Mary, she is a teenager, not a kid.

And she called Domachowska a kid, who is 22.

Somebody ban the word kid.

I almost started a thread in which we could count the # of times she used the word "kid" to describe someone over the age of 20.

Kipling
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
Mary's great. She says what's on her mind. She's refreshingly candid, whether you like what she has to say or not. And she's an equal opportunity offender in that regard. She has no favorites.

And when that idiot Enberg tried to cut away after Maria's win over Henin to ask about serenus, Mary put him in his well-earned place. She's the best thing ESPN has going for it.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Mary's great. She says what's on her mind. She's refreshingly candid, whether you like what she has to say or not. And she's an equal opportunity offender in that regard. She has no favorites.

To me she's the worse thing to happen to ESPN because when you try to be "one of the boys", all you get is a shovenist in a women's figure.

IMO, she rarely has negative comments about men's tennis but in women's tennis they just come in burst.

Kipling
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
To me she's the worse thing to happen to ESPN because when you try to be "one of the boys", all you get is a shovenist in a women's figure.

IMO, she rarely has negative comments about men's tennis but in women's tennis they just come in burst.

That's what makes it funny, though. She's no Navratilova, stats-wise.

I look at her as being a better alternative than Enberg or Drysdale for the play-by-play person--it's why she is usually paired with Shriver or Fernandez who played at a higher level and can offer the technical insights. I just like her tendancies to say what's on her mind and not worry about the PC-ness of it all.

Fingon
Jan 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Really, why you are at it gag Mary Jo Fernandez, Pam Shriver and all the make commentators that were there.

How can they be so annoying?

They came with Daniela's story, how she went through problems, blah, blah and how she is slowly recovering.

Nice story, only that, telling it once is fucking enough, they didn't have to keep repeating it all through the first set.

and showing their conventional wisdom, they kept saying how changed Daniela was, how the old Daniela would have choked blah blah.

When she did choke they finally shut up.

Be clear this isn't about Daniela, it's about the stupid commentators repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over, and they said Tracy Austin was bad.

Also, all the noise that made with Ana's shoes, nobody would care if they didn't bring it up. It's hardcourt, have they even been in a court outside their privileged cabin? tennis shoes do make noises on hardcourt when the players move. Blame Nike/Adidas and the surface. Talking about making "noise" over nothing, I guess they have to fill their two hours, basically, they have 4 or 5 people talking continously and they really have nothing to say.

I was just expecting them to start talking about Ana practicing on a swimming pool. If Maria plays they tell the story of her going to the US with $700 and not seeing her mother for 2 years, if it's Justine it's about her mother. They are so predictable and boring, if it wasn't because I like to hear the ball I would turn the sound off.

Where is McEnroe????

sfselesfan
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Carillo is a sportscasting Goddess. Don't mess with Mary or she'll smite you!

SF

SharapovaFan16
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Now we're playing Armchair Broadcaster? I thought we only did that with Quarterbacks?

Leave Carillo alone, she's fine, she's put in her dues to get where she is, whatever. People are always so damn critical, but if they had the headset on like Carillo they would drop the ball 95% of the time. Now I wouldn't since I went to school for broadcasting, but most of you yea total butter fingers. Tennis broadcasting would be fun now that I think about it.