PDA

View Full Version : AO 4R: Ivanovic def. Wozniacki 6-1 7-6(2)

The Daviator
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:55 AM
Ana :woohoo:

Natash.
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:56 AM
:eek: at the squeal at the end.

Good match from Ana :)

Nice try, Caroline! :rocker2:

TheBoiledEgg
well done Ana ;) :)

she got tense in 2nd set
Caro came back strong

Fan_of_Venus
I really wanted Caroline to win. Maybe next time. Congratulations to Ana. Now I'm off to watch Venus.

Wayn77
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:57 AM
Good match

Congrats "SQUEAKY SHOES" Ivanovic.

Great effort from young Wozniacki.

Tennisation
caroline had that second set wrapped up:tape:

LindsayRulz
Ana :yeah:

cartmancop
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:58 AM
Definitely stepped it up just in time in the 2nd. Very good numbers at net, next match will be a big step up if Vee gets through today.

Derek.
Caroline. :sad:
But great fight in the second set. :hug:
Just inexperience on those two SPs.

Why does Ana have to scream on MP when she wins so much? :o

SharapovaFan16
Did anyone really see anything from Ivanovic's game that makes her a threat in Melboure? I didn't

Rod the Bama
Good win for Ana. :clap2: She looked impressive in the first set, but really had a tough time in the second set. She showed some toughness in it. Caroline really played well in the second set. :clap2: It`s unfortunate that her nerves got the best of her when she had those two set points. Hopefully she can learn from this match. BTW i must say that Caroline is quite a hottie. :hearts: :drool: Plus i`m glad that she didn`t wear the same exact outfit as Ana during the match.

Kai
Caro :sad: :hug:

Dexter
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:59 AM
Well done on reaching QFs, Ana. :yeah: Good to see a tight battle before taking on Venus, but she stands no chance if she loses her concentration in the middle in the 2nd set. :o
Great effort, Caro. :hug: Well done on breaking top50! :clap2:

mdterp01
Caroline :rolleyes: you should've converted those set points to push it to a third. But, nice comeback from Ana. Ana showed she's got some cracks though and if she and Venus are to meet, she'll have to pick it up. Perhaps this is the answer to the other post of "Why are people forgetting about Ana?"

spiritedenergy
:woohoo:

But please play better and lower those UEs, otherwise Venus will trash you:(

Maybe she still needs to get used to Yonex?

BigBabeTENNIS
sud of went to a 3rd set won choked badly serving for it

Dexter
Why does Ana have to scream on MP when she wins so much? :oBecause she's happy?

Il Primo!
Caro :hug:

DownTheLine21
This was a mixed effort. Ana completely dominated the first set, but Wozniacki started to play a lot more aggressively in the second set. On the other hand, Ivanovic began to make countless unforced errors with some very tentative tennis. She was just playing very tightly. However, Ana raised her level when she needed to and closed out the match with an excellent tie break.

If she plays Venus, Ana will stand no chance if she doesn't raise her level. A second set lapse in concentration will be the end of her.

fufuqifuqishahah
Ana... i dont believe her come on's and her fist pumps... like i feel like she has to force herself to do them rather than them truly coming from inside.

but anyways, ana was very good at winning all the big points. caroline had craploads of opportunities, even in the 1st, but just couldn't convert when she needed to.

dybbuk
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:00 AM
Caro was so passive in the first set. Ana had all the time in the world to do exactly what she wanted to do with the ball. She was clinical and missed next to nothing. Wozniacki had 0 winners to 8 UE's in the first set. :tape:

The second Caro was so much better, and Ana, like with Cirstea, seemed surprised and it took her awhile to find her feet. Caro choked a little bit serving for the set, and once Ana gets to 5-5, she wins the set 9 times out of 10.

A good win though, she needs some tough sets and matches to be ready for Venus. Ajde Ana! :yeah:

Caro showed a lot of potential in the second set. She was taking the ball early and going for her shots. She really needs to improve her movement going forward though. Ana has a solid dropshot, but it's not amazing, and there's no reason Caro should have been having as much trouble with them as she was having.

Il Primo!
Did anyone really see anything from Ivanovic's game that makes her a threat in Melboure? I didn't

No I didn't. Venus's going to trash her.

yukon145
great fight Caro, should have won the second set but she'll learn from this.

Keadz
Yeah, what was that squeal at the end of the match...a but much.

Caroline probably deserved that second set, but she was to tentative on the important points...I am expecting to see a lot of her in the future though. She just needs that one big shot (backhand?) and then she will be a top 10 prospect.

Good job Ana, hope she can play a lot better next round!

Droolv
Well done Caro, brilliant effort :hatoff:

Good luck in the future :worship:

Cakeisgood
Caroline has a new fan in me! Ivanovic was incredible in the first set, but dropped off in the second for sure. She'll have to step it up for Venus and hell, even for Dani or Makiri.

p.s. Gosh, woman, please stop the shoe sqeeucks, it's causing my brain to fry and I'm not even playing.

new-york
nice to see Caroline challenging a top players, great week for her, yaygrats.:D

the first set was a lil "take that ball and hit a winner so i can applaud you", it's better for Ana to be challenge for whatever comes next.

Ben.
Well done Ana :yeah: debut AO QF Apperance, very satisfying :D
Was very dominant in the first set, just made a few mistakes in the 2nd set but she closed it out nicely in the end so that is all that matters.

Caro :hug: she played really well & lifted her game in the 2nd set. shame she couldn't close out those 2 set points on her serve, just a little bit tenative. Hopefully she can learn from this experience & improve her game onwards.

StZox
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:01 AM
Nice match.
Some high-quality shots from both players.
The first set was flawless from Ana. Caroline raised the level of her game in the second and finally began to hit winners.

Bravo ANA!!!!! I really expect a good match against Venus hoping that Ana can pull out a win

Dave.
4th Grand Slam Quarter-Final!!

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Easy 240 points :yawn:

Natash.
I agree. I think Ana was a bit rattled ala her match against Cirstea in the second set.

spiritedenergy

No, but she's not playing her best, I don't know what's up with her:confused:

bellascarlett
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:02 AM
Caroline :hug:

Should have won that second set...just lacks the experience. She's done well though. Good job stepping it up in the second. She's a fierce fighter.

Congrats to Ana but stop the shoe squeaking all over the court. :lol:

Kielian
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:03 AM
great fight Caro! :worship: :hug:

Iceland
Well done Ana :yeah:. Not her brightest performance, she got a bit lucky that Caroline got nervous when serving for the set.
Very pleasant match to watch at least, both girls showed some heart.
I definitely love Caro's BH :hearts:. Great run :hug:.

SvetaPleaseWin.
should have gone 3 sets but good to see Wozniacki has the game to challenge the top players

DownTheLine21
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:04 AM
Also, I really didn't think Ana was putting a lot of power behind her forehand. Wozniacki was able to track down many of the shots.

tobi
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:05 AM

I actually wonder why she is screaming come on then ajde then come on :lol:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:05 AM
A bit unconvincing in the 2nd set, but managed to get through it :yeah:

But Ana will have to step up another gears (maybe a few more) if she wants to survive until the final (especially more against Venus).

svetaisthebest
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:08 AM
Congratz Ana :D that was a great first set.I only hope she doesnt feel sleepy like she said she did in the second set while playing against Venus if she gets through.

Bad Luck Caro She's definitely one of the players of the future though:)

spiritedenergy
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:09 AM
Also, I really didn't think Ana was putting a lot of power behind her forehand. Wozniacki was able to track down many of the shots.

yeah in the second set she was like afraid of hitting bit and was just returning the ball and even moonballing:tape:

I believe Yonex doesn't work so much for her, but who knows...

Cp6uja
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:10 AM
Ana's whole career is her attacking game.
She played attacking in first set with lot of UE's but on other hand she have 15 winners and opponent have 0 (zero!).
So why she change her proven tactics in 2nd set??? What she trying to do with deffensive tactics? :help: She not deserve to win that set :p

But still congrats Ana your first AO QF (and 8th set win in the row) and your 40th winning match in the row after winning 1st set (last 10 months she is unbeaten!).

Now focus on Venus and reach your first AO (semi)final and WTA#2 spot :rocker2:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:10 AM
This Caroline is good

spiritedenergy
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:11 AM
Congratz Ana :D that was a great first set.I only hope she doesnt feel sleepy like she said she did in the second set while playing against Venus if she gets through.

Bad Luck Caro She's definitely one of the players of the future though:)

she said that in the interview? Stupid starsports cut it, and those idiot commentators kept cheering for Wozniacki. Also what's up with those few polish fans, so loud! Idiots.

Langers
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:11 AM

Because she is too darn good.

Ana. :worship:

.Andrew.
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:12 AM
Dominating performance from Ana in the first set. It seemed like Caroline was a little bit nervous, she didnt even hit one winner!

Really entertaining second set. Caroline really stepped it up, had a couple of set points, but I would say the inexperience got to her. Im really impressed with her game and she hit a ton of winners :clap2:

Ana :woohoo: A win is a win. But you cant lose your concentration if you play Venus in the quarters. ;)

svetaisthebest
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:14 AM
she said that in the interview? Stupid starsports cut it, and those idiot commentators kept cheering for Wozniacki. Also what's up with those few polish fans, so loud! Idiots.

yeah she did because she said she was used to sleeping in till late because of late matches throughout the tournament and her body needed to adjust to waking up early this morning which is why she said she felt sleepy in the second set.

Lucyxx
Squeal. :hearts:

Made it tougher than she needed. Was fortunate to get out of that tiebreak against a confident young player who doesn't know the meaning of the word loss.

Caro's a great sport. It's safe to say she will handle her time at the top of the rankings well for many years.

If Marta can pull off one of her magical wins, Ana has a great chance at reaching the final!

alias
Congrats Ana!

Langers
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:21 AM

Made it tougher than she needed. Was fortunate to get out of that tiebreak against a confident young player who doesn't know the meaning of the word loss.

Caro's a great sport. It's safe to say she will handle her time at the top of the rankings well for many years.

If Marta can pull off one of her magical wins, Ana has a great chance at reaching the final!
She's up an early break, can she really win? Do you think she has it in her?

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:24 AM
Ana really maked me nervous in the 2nd set. Way too many UE's. Totally unnecessary after the 1st set.
Of course Wozniacki started to play really well. She has a lot of talent.
It kinda seems that Ana's forehand isn't that effective anymore. She hardly can find the lines. While she more succeed with her backhand when she's attacking.
Ana played sometimes way too passive. Only at the time she had to break, you saw her more aggressive. Common, Ana you have to do that against Venus the whole match!
Ana's net play is a good point. She's getting better and better there!

I'm glad it wasn't a 3rd set. I was kinda worried.
Well she's through and it is a QF!!

AJDE ANA!!!!

spiritedenergy
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:25 AM

Marta is playing amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

spiritedenergy
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:28 AM
Ana really maked me nervous in the 2nd set. Way too many UE's. Totally unnecessary after the 1st set.
Of course Wozniacki started to play really well. She has a lot of talent.
It kinda seems that Ana's forehand isn't that effective anymore. She hardly can find the lines. While she more succeed with her backhand when she's attacking.
Ana played sometimes way too passive. Only at the time she had to break, you saw her more aggressive. Common, Ana you have to do that against Venus the whole match!
Ana's net play is a good point. She's getting better and better there!

I'm glad it wasn't a 3rd set. I was kinda worried.
Well she's through and it is a QF!!

AJDE ANA!!!!

I totally agree with you, her forehand has become less effective but her backhand and net game have improved enormously, especially her backhand is very good now. I don't know what to think:cuckoo:

Langers
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:31 AM
I totally agree with you, her forehand has become less effective but her backhand and net game have improved enormously, especially her backhand is very good now. I don't know what to think:cuckoo:
Her backhand has improved a great deal and it's been a good weapon this tournament. However at times today she was hitting it far too short which gave Wozniacki a great chance of finishing off the points.

requiem
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:33 AM
Even in 1st set, Ana wasn't as good as she should be, it was more like, Caroline was afraid to hit the ball. And then in the 2nd, it was like, oh well, lets play tennis. But as soon as she got oportunity to do something, she was gone with some bad mistakes.

As strange as it seems this match was more about Caroline than about Ana.

Anyways, congratulations Ana, and please step up a bit.

Milito22
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:58 AM
:rocker2:

Mynarco
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:35 AM
Wozniacki :tape:
she could make to the third set and might have won it :(

rada
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:59 AM
Nice win Ana :)

Scotso
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:49 AM
Ana :D

Princeza
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:13 AM
:yeah:

DownTheLine21
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:21 AM
Q. Venus Williams looks like she will come through. If she is your next opponent. Do you think she can beat her?

ANA IVANOVIC: She's definitely a tough opponent. Last two Grand Slams I lost to her. Exactly the time for some revenge.

Bruno71
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:22 AM
Impressed by Ana's determination and net play, this was a game young opponent today. Kind of similar to the first round though, let herself be bossed around a bit too much in the 2nd set and started to make errors. But used her experience to pull through, well done.

I look forward to Caroline's game coming together even more soon...she looks like the real deal.

spiritedenergy
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:34 AM
Q. Venus Williams looks like she will come through. If she is your next opponent. Do you think she can beat her?

ANA IVANOVIC: She's definitely a tough opponent. Last two Grand Slams I lost to her. Exactly the time for some revenge.

:hearts:

Ana please shut her shrieks up:devil:

mankind
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:37 AM
Ana has these strange lapses in concentration. No doubt Wozniacki was playing well and solidly, not making too many errors (except when serving for the 2nd set), but Ana does seem a bit up and down. Hope she can pull it all together against Venus.

Cat's Pajamas
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:55 AM
Caro :sad: :hug:

I only got to see the first set so I'm glad she gave it a much better fight in the second. You'll only get wiser from these matches, but a nice effort in the second. :yeah: Would've been nice to see what could've happened in the third though...

Congrats Ana.

Shanna
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:10 AM
Congrats Ana! :bounce: :woohoo:

The best of luck against Venus!

Frode
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:14 AM
Well done Ana :D

Caroline's time will come:)

aussie_fan
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:23 AM
Well Done Ana :)

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:26 AM
Nice win Ana, now let's defeat Venus, although it will be tough out there :)

lilimi
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:27 AM
good match from ana. But sh slept during the second set... :( ! she made no efforts in her moves while in the first set she was very strong and serious on each point.

hwanmig
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM
I left after she got broken. Good for her to comeback and take it in straight.

Kobra
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:28 AM
Awful (return)game from Ivanovic and awful chokes from Caro. She must win this second set. :sad:

But now we have Venus-Ana and thats really good. :)

Chance
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM
was very impressed by Caroline's game!! Great mover.
Ana was solid today,mixed it up nicely.

.:sk:.
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:35 PM
Ana :banana:

Caro :hug:

serenaforever
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Ana :hearts:

Wozniacki reminds me of Taylor Swift. :shrug: