PDA

View Full Version : ESPN best ever coverage?

Jakeev
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:52 AM
We have been complaining for years about ESPN coverage of Grand Slams and for the first time I can actually say I think they have done a tremendous job showing lots of matches as opposed to just a few marquee matches.
Anybody else agree? If anything, the Network had made tremendous improvements in 08.

Rod the Bama
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:55 AM
I agree with you on ESPN`s coverage of the Australian Open. It`s great to see them showing matches not just involving the marquee players, but also for staying on with the marathon matches in the last couple of days.

cartmancop
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:56 AM
The fact that Roddick lost always helps such matters :lol: but yes I agree, much better so far from ESPN in 08...

SelesFan70
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:57 AM
This is what happens when you get competition. The Tennis Channel is pushing them to higher limits, which is good for all of us. :D

CJ07
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:58 AM
Keep in mind they lost Agassi and (now) Roddick. So they don't really have a choice

Rome
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:53 AM
Keep in mind they lost Agassi and (now) Roddick. So they don't really have a choice
Yep :worship:

ptkten
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:00 AM
By far, with the tennis channel and espn it's been the best grand slam coverage ever, with the exception of maybe the days when hbo used to show wimbledon

faboozadoo15
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:00 AM
They hardly get their props. Good to notice and aknowledge that the coverage has been pretty darn good.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:02 AM
By far, with the tennis channel and espn it's been the best grand slam coverage ever, with the exception of maybe the days when hbo used to show wimbledon

I was thinking the same thing.
I miss Wimbledon on HBO, there was such an ambiance about it.

mckyle.
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:04 AM
If only ESPN360 was offered everywhere :sad:

woosey
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:12 AM
they have done a really great job.

i like the addition of bud collins. :)

Infiniti2001
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:17 AM
This is what happens when you get competition. The Tennis Channel is pushing them to higher limits, which is good for all of us. :D

That's exactly what it is, also they've heard many complaints from hard core tennis fans :shrug:

Jakeev
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:45 AM
They hardly get their props. Good to notice and aknowledge that the coverage has been pretty darn good.
Well there didn't use to be much to brag about in the past. In this particular Grand Slam there have been some sloppy, scratch-your-head moments but they have been few and far between for a change.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 21st, 2008, 04:54 AM
Roddick losing helps it certainly. I'm glad we got to see the end of Dani-Makiri

Serenidad.
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:01 AM
It's just like UK Eurosport with Murray. Roddick losing early they have no choice. Unless they wanna show Flake. :shrug:

They will probably show Flake v Federer.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:27 AM
If only ESPN360 was offered everywhere :sad:

it's not offered where i am and i still think espn is doing a pretty darn good job, so go espn :yeah:

JackWalker
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:38 AM
only because roddick lost

Stamp Paid
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:47 AM
Last year was so hellish, everything being on a time delay and agonizing over every match on the damn AO radio. (which had a 10 second delay from the live scores anyway, LOL) Im really enjoying coverage this year, thank God for the Tennis Channel/ESPN2 partnership.

Seyz
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:48 AM
and they're throwing in more graphics too, and showing more variety in their matches.
and lol... they're doing a better job pimping matches as well.
Overall though, it might also be because Austalian Open is always fun to watch.
(Arguably the best grandslam of the year)
AO>Wimbledon>USOPEN> French Open (by far the worst)

Scotso
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:55 AM
It's been decent. They're still fanboying Americans a bit too much.

DownTheLine21
Jan 21st, 2008, 06:29 AM
The TTC/ESPN2 coverage has been great. They've really made an effort to cover a variety of matches. Also, ESPN 360 has allowed some of us to see some great outer court matches. However, I do prefer the DirecTv multi-court coverage, as opposed to internet live stream.