PDA

View Full Version : How will Venus' doubles affect her singles?

tennisbear7
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I think that Venus is playing well enough to win the title, but I'm concerned that with her doubles (she's playing both doubles and singles today), she'll run out of energy. She's at the point of her career where conserving energy is vital to be a top threat at slams; she could have easily taken Justine to three at the US open, but I feel like she just ran out of stamina and energy. So I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks... do you think her doubles will impede on her singles?

Geisha
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:56 PM
It could be difficult, but overall...I think playing the doubles has more advantages than not.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:06 PM
:unsure:

gmokb
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I don't think so. In the doubles there isn't that much pressure not on her, she shares it with Serena who is playing real well. I have always felt that their level of play improves alot when they play doubles and so far they have had only 2 sets matches, in both areas.

Tennisstar86
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:44 PM
They play better when they play doubles... Do you play tennis? I assume not... cause you'd know that doubles doesnt take half the amount of energy singles does.... doubles is basically a practice session....You do realize the players practice in between their matches... they dont just play and then relax until the next one.....

cartmancop
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I don't think it will be a big deal for her. She hasn't really been using too much energy for the doubles, no real intense rallies & minimal running, pretty much just bombing serves and trying to pick off smash volleys.

If she had any injuries, I think it would be different, but in this case its just a good way to keep her serve sharp.

mykarma
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM
They play better when they play doubles... Do you play tennis? I assume not... cause you'd know that doubles doesnt take half the amount of energy singles does.... doubles is basically a practice session....You do realize the players practice in between their matches... they dont just play and then relax until the next one.....
Damn!!

new-york
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:02 AM
:unsure:

yep.

gmokb
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:04 AM
Hey, no need to be so harsh

tennisbear7
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:28 AM

If YOU play tennis, YOU should know that no matter what kind of match you go into, if it's competitive, it will use up energy. She didn't even play doubles at the USO, and she was seriously out of energy.

Tennisstar86
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:29 AM
I do play tennis, you slouchy gimp. If YOU play tennis, YOU should know that no matter what kind of match you go into, if it's competitive, it will use up energy. She didn't even play doubles at the USO, and she was seriously out of energy.

lol.... once again yes... she uses energy, but the same she'd use practicing.... because once again the players practice on their off days... not just sit around twittling their thumbs....