PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the draws:

HitmanX
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Sharapova had a rock hard solid draw, probably the hardest of all time for a top 5 seed. Henin's draw just like the us open was very hard especially for a number 1 seed.

Serema's draw is not easy but it is easy till the semi's.

Venus has a bye to the final.

A lot of Venus Williams fans go on about cupcake draws, but Venus has the easiest draw of all time.

vwfan
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:39 PM
hitman you're sharp!

you have discovered this one week into the tournament. :worship:

there have been a few others commenting though on how top heavy the draw.

KatChr
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I would totally agree that Justine has one of the thoughest draws for a #1 seed! Her road from now on could be Sharapova, Serena and then Venus!! That is unbelievable that the #1 player gets the thoughest draw of them all!!

Tennisation
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Justine's the last person to sweat over a hard draw, it's not like she can't beat all of them in a single tournament. Truth is, she can take on Venus, Serena, and Maria combined in a single match & still win in straight sets

spencercarlos
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:01 AM
Sharapova had a rock hard solid draw, probably the hardest of all time for a top 5 seed. Henin's draw just like the us open was very hard especially for a number 1 seed.

A lot of Venus Williams fans go on about cupcake draws, but Venus has the easiest draw of all time.
Actually many people have overrated Davenport´s match against Sharapova, Lindsay is not in top form phisically her movement is non existent and in this tournament she was not even hitting the ball well neither serving or with her groundies.

mboyle
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:06 AM
Actually many people have overrated Davenport´s match against Sharapova, Lindsay is not in top form phisically her movement is non existent and in this tournament she was not even hitting the ball well neither serving or with her groundies.

Could you name a more dangerous unseeded player? I couldn't. I don't think anyone was saying Davenport was playing like a top five player, but she has been playing like a top twenty player in her comeback. Unlike virtually all unseeded players, she had beaten Maria before, and has kept it close in every match, meaning she didn't go in with a major mental disadvantage. Multi-time grand slam champs never go away, because they get used to winning and having confidence.

gmokb
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:06 AM

If that's the case all I can say is its about time.

Avid Merrion
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:09 AM
hitman you're sharp!

you have discovered this one week into the tournament. :worship:

lmao! :o

faboozadoo15
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM
I would totally agree that Justine has one of the thoughest draws for a #1 seed! Her road from now on could be Sharapova, Serena and then Venus!! That is unbelievable that the #1 player gets the thoughest draw of them all!!

Sharapova had to beat Davenport and Dementieva just to get to the quarterfinal.

spencercarlos
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM
Could you name a more dangerous unseeded player? I couldn't. I don't think anyone was saying Davenport was playing like a top five player, but she has been playing like a top twenty player in her comeback. Unlike virtually all unseeded players, she had beaten Maria before, and has kept it close in every match, meaning she didn't go in with a major mental disadvantage. Multi-time grand slam champs never go away, because they get used to winning and having confidence.
Just with her hitting abilities we know Davenport is a top 20 player, but honestly her display at the Australian Open i would not even put her perfomance in the top 40ties.
She barely scaped Errani, and dhe was not serving well, she was not even hitting the ball well with her groundstrokes and lets not even talk about her movement.

Tennisstar86
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:39 AM

wasnt Ivanovic top 5 @ US Open... Id say her draw was harder...

Venus draw= Sharapovas Us Open draw... Plus Ivanovic....so Id say Sharapova had the easiest draw of all time...But Im happy you came to this realization one week into play....

Henins draw really isnt hard at all.... top seeds meet in the second week... Sharapovas her first test...Sure the second week she'll play sharapova, maybe Serena and then maybe Venus.... but isnt the point of the draw for the high seeds to meet in the second week?:confused:

hectopascal
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:55 AM
Kuzzy had an easy draw, but now that she's out I hope Kirilenko makes it through in that quarter...... But the draws are screwed anyways because Venus and Serena are not ranked in accordance with their abilities and are often the favourites when facing higher ranked opponents.

Tennisstar86
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:02 AM
Kuzzy had an easy draw, but now that she's out I hope Kirilenko makes it through in that quarter...... But the draws are screwed anyways because Venus and Serena are not ranked in accordance with their abilities and are often the favourites when facing higher ranked opponents.

True, but at this point, if their rankings were higher it wouldnt really change anything.... the draw still prolly would have worked out the same way....If they moved up everyone else move down... basically since they were top 8 everyone was "safe" till the quarters....even if they were higher the draw still could have ended up "lopsided"

Buitenzorg
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:09 AM
I thought

QF Draw

(1) v (7)
(5) v (3)
(6) v (4)
(8) v (2)

Tennisstar86
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:11 AM
I thought

QF Draw

(1) v (7)
(5) v (3)
(6) v (4)
(8) v (2)

no... if that were the case thered be no point in drawing... itd be the same everytime.. 1-4 play 5-8.... random draw to see which 5-8 seed plays who in the quarters..

faboozadoo15
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:12 AM
Just with her hitting abilities we know Davenport is a top 20 player, but honestly her display at the Australian Open i would not even put her perfomance in the top 40ties.
She barely scaped Errani, and dhe was not serving well, she was not even hitting the ball well with her groundstrokes and lets not even talk about her movement.

Errani played out of her mind, and Sharapova would have made a few top 10 players look like they don't belong in the top 30.

Nobody wanted Davenport in their draw.