PDA

View Full Version : Why are ppl forgetting about Ivanovic????

SV_Fan
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:02 PM
UM Venus 1st has to get my marta and then she migh tface ivanovic. I don't even know why people are counting her out like she ranked 9862101561 or someting. How is she playing?

Bruno71
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:04 PM
She's playing really well and many people are mistakenly assuming that Venus will wipe the court with her again. These things can never be assumed, each match is a different story. She has a very favorable draw through to the QF's and then a good shot at going further.

Serenidad.
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM
They are ignoring her because :

Venus is facing her for the 3rd straight GS.
Venus has never lost a set to her.
Venus beats the hell out of her.
Venus eats up her game and spits it out harder.

Sean.
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I love Ana, but I wouldn't rate her chances against Vee. Venus has had a tough draw with some tricky players and has come through well.

Although I don't agree with everyone saying Ana will have her arse handed to her. Yes their matches have always been 2 setters but at wimbledon and USO Venus was on fire and both their matches had a 6-4 set, which is hardly one sided

Venus doesn't look as good as she did at times in 07, so I think it may be close. But I will still go with Vee. Power hitters vs WS don't do well. I think she has her number on speed dial

Direwolf
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:23 PM
im not sure... but..
1: Ana plays similar to Sania, and Sania has a more explosive forehand
2: Her backhand is still the same
3: Her forehand can be soo attackable if venus hits that CC loopy forehand..
4: Vee is playing OK..!!! and thats good..

dybbuk
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:27 PM
im not sure... but..
1: Ana plays similar to Sania, and Sania has a more explosive forehand
2: Her backhand is still the same
3: Her forehand can be soo attackable if venus hits that CC loopy forehand..
4: Vee is playing OK..!!! and thats good..

Ana is so much better than Sania, please don't compare her to her and suggest that Venus will beat Ana because she already beat Sania. :o

As for the thread, people are counting Ana out because she has yet to prove she can beat Venus. She has a chance, but even as a fan of hers, I'm not counting on it.

vwfan
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Ana might have a chance against Vee here. It is a slower surface than either Wimbledon or U.S. Open and Venus is not playing as well as she was then.

Still, Venus will have the psychological edge.

And, if Venus wants this, then Ana will have a tough road ahead trying to overcome a determined Venus in the latter stages of a Grand Slam tournament when she has not even taken a set off of her in four previous matches.

SV_Fan
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:31 PM
OKay thank you.

smokovec
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Maybe because Ana has routine wins with easy opponents and at the moment she proves nothing, without a real test on court.

terjw
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:43 PM
We haven't forgotten her. It's really because right now there is more interest and action in the top half especially with all these big matches now coming up. And the top half matches are played first. So we know the matchups for the next round sooner. If / When we get to a situation with Venus playing Ana - there'll be lots of posts.

Matt01
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:47 PM
No one with a brain is counting her out.

ce
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:52 PM
now i wish Ana trashes Venus :rolleyes:

spiritedenergy
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:59 PM

me too, 6-0 6-2 would make it for me, just to shut up the mouth of all those stubborn Venus fans:devil:

gmokb
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I am not counting her out. Yes, all matches are different but going by history and the fact that Vee is healthy and playing well, I will have to go with Venus winning should they meet.

Tennisstar86
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Noones forgetting her. but Venus really is just a bad match up for her....and the fact is, she barely got a set off of Justine (her only set against the big three) serving in the 40% range....If Venus continues to show up....shes in the final, the bottom half just needs to hope she has an off day....

DownTheLine21
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:50 PM
No one is counting her out. Venus is a bad match up for her, but Ana is quickly gaining the confidence of a top player. In terms of winning, I think that she has a better chance here because of the slower surface. Also, she just took her first set off of Henin two weeks ago. Is Venus next?

mboyle
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Noones forgetting her. but Venus really is just a bad match up for her....and the fact is, she barely got a set off of Justine (her only set against the big three) serving in the 40% range....If Venus continues to show up....shes in the final, the bottom half just needs to hope she has an off day....

Justine consistently serves below 50%. Her second serve is not very attackable. Ana won the set 6-4. That's not barely winning a set. Ana's playing better than Venus so far this tournament. Venus hasn't played superbly since the US Open.

I still think Venus will win, but, like most tennis matches, the difference will be psychological. Tennis champions are champions because their minds are better than everyone else's. Venus has an awesome tennis mind. Ana isn't at that level yet. She's not as hopeless as Nicole has turned out to be so far, but she doesn't have the hunger and confidence of the core 4. I think Ana will keep it closer than the previous two matches.

Donny
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:02 AM
Justine consistently serves below 50%. Her second serve is not very attackable. Ana won the set 6-4. That's not barely winning a set. Ana's playing better than Venus so far this tournament. Venus hasn't played superbly since the US Open.

I still think Venus will win, but, like most tennis matches, the difference will be psychological. Tennis champions are champions because their minds are better than everyone else's. Venus has an awesome tennis mind. Ana isn't at that level yet. She's not as hopeless as Nicole has turned out to be so far, but she doesn't have the hunger and confidence of the core 4. I think Ana will keep it closer than the previous two matches.

I disagree. The GS champions left in the draw are simply better tennis players than anyone else in the tournament.

Stamp Paid
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:05 AM
I naturally assumed that Venus would thrash her. :o

Steffica Greles
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:30 AM
Because she's not beaten Venus, Serena or Henin before.

And she wouldn't be favourite against Sharapova on anything other than clay.

She's 4th favourite as things stand. Jankovic is very much an outsider, in my opinion.

mdterp01
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:31 AM
It wouldn't be wise to forget about Ana because as was said, each match is different. However, you have to use recent history in thinking that it will be more of the same. We've seen Ana play great before only to be gobbled up when she faces Venus. While she is fitter, she's still not the mover Venus is, and Ana's game fits right into what Venus likes to play against. So, if the two meet....we shall see.

Steffica Greles
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM
I disagree. The GS champions left in the draw are simply better tennis players than anyone else in the tournament.

Confidence is built on wins. Great tennis produces great minds, and great minds produce great tennis.

So many great minds have been lost to cruel losses. Hingis, for example. After a series of cruel losses, her mind became more fragile.

Chicken and egg.

Navratilova wasn't a natural champion - she suffered from jitters. Henin was very similar. But Navratilova's supremacy, and Henin's talent, have become the foundation of their confidence.

Seles, or Graf, were born with that champion's killer instinct. Hingis, too. But Seles and, to a greater extent, Hingis, lost that steel-plated confidence after it had been dealt a few blows. Graf too lost it when Seles usurped her.

new-york
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM

you didn't wish that before. (???)

Archer16
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:32 AM
(It was surprisingly difficult to find a fitting thread for this, and I wanted to write this before the match started)
If Ana is to justify all the "future #1" talk, this is a good place to start, because up to now she's not proven that she can beat the very best. I sure hope she'll beat Venus, but I can't see it happening.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:36 AM
Real talk.
I don't think we've forgotten Ivanovic, I just think we all understand that this won't be her slam win.
She just doesn't have the all court game and aggressiveness needed to win this slam right now.

Archer16
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:54 AM
I'm glad to be proven otherwise :D
Still don't think she'll win it all this time, but this win is a HUGE step for her career.

danieln1
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:00 AM
The good thing is that I always said that Ivanovic would give Venus a lot of trouble, when some people said that Venus would crush her!

Matt01
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:42 AM
Real talk.
I don't think we've forgotten Ivanovic, I just think we all understand that this won't be her slam win.
She just doesn't have the all court game and aggressiveness needed to win this slam right now.

I don't know if she already has the mentality to stay tough at the important points/matches to win this Slam, but her all court game and aggressiveness are already there.