PDA

View Full Version : Unwritten rule

Karolina_Sprem
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Did you notice that all great players in the last couple of years like Williams sisters, Henin, Sharapowa, Ivanovic and loads of other girls didn't have great juniors career but as seniors they do really well. Some of them even didn't play in juniors like Williams sisters.
Hmmm... why is this?????

cartmancop
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I am a bit skeptical of all the next big things coming from the juniors considering their records :lol:

& the reason Sharapova & Ivanovic, Serena, etc. weren't winning 3 Junior GS a year was b/c they were playing on the real tour when they were 16 ish,

Petkorazzi
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I think because they are very talented and could directly compete with the best, the aim of Juniors being to gain more experience of playing with better. ;)

Karolina_Sprem
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I am a bit skeptical of all the next big things coming from the juniors considering their records :lol:

& the reason Sharapova & Ivanovic, Serena, etc. weren't winning 3 Junior GS a year was b/c they were playing on the real tour when they were 16 ish,

That was my point when I wrote down that topis about Pavlyuchenkova....

Sceptical as well...:devil::devil:

DownTheLine21
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I think because they are very talented and could directly compete with the best, the aim of Juniors being to gain more experience of playing with better. ;)

You are correct.

Reuchlin
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:34 PM
A number of reasons

1. Their games were built with the senior game in mind-- and what gets rewarded on the WTA is not always what is rewarded on the junior tour.*

2. Great junior results often put a great deal of expectations on young players-- leading to mental fatigue, early burn out and lack of motivation.

3. Players with WTA tour potential stop playing juniors relatively young (age 15 or 16) therefore their games have not yet developed enough to get great results against girls who are as old as 18.

*I actually think that this is why the Williams sisters are doing so well now. While girls their age were flying around the world, neglecting their training, developing poor habits (powderpuff serves), developing mental issues etc. Venus and Serena were simply working on their game in a safe and supportive family environment.

cartmancop
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Yeh, I think Kuznetsova is the only Year end Junior in the Top 3 to translate into a GS Singles Winner... It's definitely interesting.

*Edit: of the past 10 years I mean :)

Reuchlin
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Oh, and when Maria won Wimbledon she was younger than the junior girls winner.

Karolina_Sprem
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:39 PM
A number of reasons

1. Their games were built with the senior game in mind-- and what gets rewarded on the WTA is not always what is rewarded on the junior tour.*

2. Great junior results often put a great deal of expectations on young players-- leading to mental fatigue, early burn out and lack of motivation.

3. Players with WTA tour potential stop playing juniors relatively young (age 15 or 16) therefore their games have not yet developed enough to get great results against girls who are as old as 18.

*I actually think that this is why the Williams sisters are doing so well now. While girls their age were flying around the world, neglecting their training, developing poor habits (powderpuff serves), developing mental issues etc. Venus and Serena were simply working on their game in a safe and supportive family environment.

SPOT ON!!!:worship::worship:
I think just to mention the name Barabanshikowa (not sure if translation is right) tells us a lot. She had great junior career but lost in senior tennis.
Kutuzova is another name...

Any other names????

Russianboy
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:49 PM

pavlyuchenkova was in the aussie qualy draw, so she tried

CR3WLFC
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:50 PM
TOO GOOD FOR JUNIORS why is that an inwritten rule ?

Direwolf
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I remember 97 USO final
where Venus was just 17
and Hingis was like 16...

and i think that they were younger than the
girls finalist..!!

is there a junior circuit??
Cuz i dont know whether there is or isnt...

well anyways... i just think that junior
should be only upto 15 years of age...

Mikey B
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Oh, and when Maria won Wimbledon she was younger than the junior girls winner.

no way! lol! didnt know that!!! how depressing for the junior winner! haha!