PDA

View Full Version : Has Sharapova proved anyone else wrong?

Aaron.
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:48 PM
when everyone said Sharapova was crap in 2007 cause of her serve I didnt believe it :shrug:

I thought Sharapova was slumping and wouldnt return to top form.

she proved me wrong :)

Sharapova's serve does make a huge difference

her confidence is high now

I wonder why she played like crap in the hong kong final :tape:

serenus_2k8
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
when everyone said Sharapova was crap in 2007 cause of her serve I didnt believe it :shrug:

Im sure Maria wishes she mad more fans like you! :tape:

Maria was simply outclassed. Nothing more, nothing less :)

Russianboy
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Im sure Maria wishes she mad more fans like you! :tape:

Maria was simply outclassed. Nothing more, nothing less :)

how objective :tape:

but well I didnt expect sth different of a williams fan

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:57 PM
It was serve AND other things , mostly psychological ,

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:57 PM
So let me get this straight. She was number two for the majority of last year but she was in a slump.

She's likely going to be out of the top 5 maybe even top 7 if Venus and Serena play in the final, but now she's in top form?

Geisha
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Sharapova's game seems to revolve around her serve. So, when it doesn't fair well, her game suffers.

But, it should be that when her serve isn't going well, her groundstrokes should be even more tightened - a la Serena Williams YEC '04.

Geisha
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I think people are very confused about her serve. Obviously, the serve is going to be murdered if you play Venus and Serena three times, and other great returners like Ivanovic. Anybody's serve would look bad...

Russianboy
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM
So let me get this straight. She was number two for the majority of last year but she was in a slump.

She's likely going to be out of the top 5 maybe even top 7 if Venus and Serena play in the final, but now she's in top form?

why do u compare the level of play with rankings? watch her play at this tourney and then watch again aussie open 07. I think I dont have to explain more.

serenus_2k8
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM
how objective :tape:

but well I didnt expect sth different of a williams fan

So you gave up on Maria at the first sign of a tough period? Ok thats fine :)

bandabou
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM
And what happens when she loses say to a Justine, a Serena, a Venus? Is the form lost again? Shoulder-problems are back?? Now the tests are gonna come. Just wait and see how it goes.

In The Zone
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
When Sharapova beats Justine, she'll have impressed me. Until then, it's still the same Maria in my mind. Venus proved everyone wrong at Wimbledon. Serena proved everyone wrong at last year's Aussie. It's Maria's turn to do the same against Justine.

kiwifan
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM
No she hasn't proven shit in this Slam, she isn't some unseeded scrub, she's one of the best female players on the planet...

...she needs to win the Aussie to "prove something"...

...and if she does, I'll be very impressed because she had to navigate some great names to get it done. :shrug:

serenus_2k8
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM
When Sharapova beats Justine, she'll have impressed me. Until then, it's still the same Maria in my mind. Venus proved everyone wrong at Wimbledon. Serena proved everyone wrong at last year's Aussie. It's Maria's turn to do the same against Justine.

Agreed. Though at least Sharapova entered as one of the few favourite to take the title or at least make a very good run, which is either a great confidence boost or a lot of pressure for her to handle? :confused:

CR3WLFC
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:22 PM
not yet maybe you can ask this question next week or next couple of months

goldenslam888
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM
the williams sisters fan will never feel they were wrong about maria in 2007, no matter what. they seem to have a very deep resentment for maria.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:21 PM

i can agree with that... :) she's playing well now but now she has to beat jh/serena/venus in a match when both are playing well

Destiny
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I don't resent Sharapova
Sharapova was playing ok at the start of 07 she was fine-ish

goldenslam888
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Sharapova was playing ok at the start of 07 she was fine-ish

i close my case.

and how many other players in the top 10 has serena beaten 6-2, 6-1, in the last 12 months?

justine? dementieva? petrova?

just an injured sharapova, who does have big wins over serena.

Aravanecaravan
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:37 PM

It's called an injury. Maybe all the haters will shut up now.

At least you can admit you were wrong.

Wuornos
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:41 PM

I have to confess I put it down to a bit of both, shoulder and slump in form. I never really stopped believing in her as my personal pick as the 2nd best player in the world behind Henin, but I did start to have some doubts and a couple of more bad losses and I would probably rank the Williams sisters as ahead of her despite what the rankings say about the Williams's.

In my mind it's all to play for here at the AO. If she loses to Henin and Venus makes the final then I think I would have to acknowledge Venus as the better player or lose all objectivity.

Regards.

Tim

Craigy
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:51 PM
She surprised me at the YEC last year. So I suppose yes. :shrug:

jacobruiz
Jan 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
It's called an injury. Maybe all the haters will shut up now.

Don't count on that!:lol:
As long as Maria can play without being troubled by her shoulder inflammation, her racket will do the talking this year. Even if she doesn't win this match or tournament, her fans know great things are in store for her in 2008.;)

bandabou
Jan 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM
i close my case.

and how many other players in the top 10 has serena beaten 6-2, 6-1, in the last 12 months?

justine? dementieva? petrova?

just an injured sharapova, who does have big wins over serena.

Demenetieva, Petrova, top 10??? Petrova ain't even part of the discussion, never beaten Serena. Dementieva beats Serena in three sets for the 1st time, and all of sudden she's competition??

Serena HAS beaten Justine last year, not many people can say that, soo. Yeah, I know...but Justine beat her three straight times. Jada jada. Well if Maria can bring up injuries as excuse for her "poor" 2007, then so can Serena. Since that injury at Charleston, Serena hasn't been the same...and then of course Justine was on fire.

dya74
Jan 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
me:). but as long as she keeps losing to Justine, i can forget her :devil:

Maria Croft
Jan 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
No she hasn't proven shit in this Slam, she isn't some unseeded scrub, she's one of the best female players on the planet...

...she needs to win the Aussie to "prove something"...

...and if she does, I'll be very impressed because she had to navigate some great names to get it done. :shrug:

IF she really wins this title she hasn't proven anything. People will find excuses for every single opponent Maria will have beaten to win. That's how it goes.

Maria still played some good tennis even without her serve for most of last year, but you could clearly see it effected her in big matches and it completely dominated her game at the end of the year before the YEC.

jacobruiz
Jan 20th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Demenetieva, Petrova, top 10??? Petrova ain't even part of the discussion, never beaten Serena. Dementieva beats Serena in three sets for the 1st time, and all of sudden she's competition??

Serena HAS beaten Justine last year, not many people can say that, soo. Yeah, I know...but Justine beat her three straight times. Jada jada. Well if Maria can bring up injuries as excuse for her "poor" 2007, then so can Serena. Since that injury at Charleston, Serena hasn't been the same...and then of course Justine was on fire.

Maria isn't making excuses for 2007. The facts are, Maria's cronic shoulder inflammation affected her serve in most of 2007. With the pain gone, hopefully for good, her serve is on the way back to being the big weapon it once was. So she is naturally playing with more confidence and getting better results.
Funny how you pop up in GM when Maria starts to play well. You just can't stand to see Maria fans happy, can you?:lol:

eshell
Jan 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Sharapova has definitely proven me wrong. She looks fit and plays well at this tournament. I think this court suits her game and allows her to dictate points. She's serving well and hitting a big ball.
I usually cheer for other players, but think that an in form Sharapova should lift her first Aussie Open trophy this year.

Nemo_Kool
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM
2b honest i dont think her year was THAT bad the fact by her standards it was a poor year is testament to her ability. However, whether she's suprised me? so far i'd say half yes because yea after the YEC final i thought Sharapova was back on track but the beat downs shes dealt in this tournamnet has reinforced her threat to the grand slams saying that i knew Sharapova wouldn't slump for long because if you look at her as a competitor she is one of the best, her ambition is second to none and her belief is all too present whether she can do a Serena and prove the critics/haters wrong is another question but will be revealed come Saturday...or dare i say earlier!

miffedmax
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I knew she'd be back. I just wish it had taken a little longer . . .

Il Primo!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
UP!

Aaron was right! Once Maria's healthy, she's at the Big3 level, no doubt about that!

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
UP!

Aaron was right! Once Maria's healthy, she's at the Big3 level, no doubt about that!

Core 4, my dear. Serena, Maria, Venus, Justine. All four deserve to be in that category.

Il Primo!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Core 4, my dear. Serena, Maria, Venus, Justine. All four deserve to be in that category.

I know that. She's at the Big3 level thus Big3+ Queen Maria= Big4;)