PDA

View Full Version : Is Venus on form?

iheartvenus
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM
i wonder. iv watched the three rounds Venus played in the AO 08. but i dont see her playing her best. she seem to be underperforming. yes she won all of em without dropping a set. but i thought she would have played better. in the match against zi yan, i saw here committing so many double faults. and her unforce errors are consistently in the 20s throughout the three matches. im worried that she will be sent home. she definitely can be a champion when she plays her best, there is no one to stop her (probably with the exception of her siser, serena). is there something wrong with her? does anybody here have the same sentiments? that she is playing mediocre or perhaps less than that?

Paneru
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Wimbledon '07

:wavey:

Venus may not be like others, stellar early on, but
she is good on working her way through which is what
matters most. One match at a time and every day is a
new one.

vwfan
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Venus is playing far below her ability, having close matches with Pin and Mirza both of whom she beat easily in last prior matches. Something is undoubtedly off; she is looking sluggish and it is not encouraging.

On the other hand, one can find encouragement in that she is still winning and not dropping a set. In addition, she has raised her game at all the critical moments, so we'll see. . .

Paneru
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Well, now we see why people came up with those threads during Wimbledon, no? How she could struggle so much against lesser
players and then turn it up as the competition got more intense.

MJF said finally what I've been saying for a while,
Venus has a tendancy to play to her opponents level,
which could explain why she can go from playing poorly
against lesser players to playing stellar against the
world's best.

Also, Venus' interview with Martina said it all.
She isn't going to lose her confidence because
she's making errors or not playing like she knows
she can. She just keeps on playing.

Great attitude. :cool:

Volcana
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:33 PM
Venus has got her 'B' game. She's not plaing her best, but she's winning in straight sets by simply playing out the tennis match, and dealing with circumstances better than her opponent. Can she beat Ivanovic playing this way? Certainly. Providing Ivanovic keeps playing the way she's playing.

In The Zone
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
Look at the tiebreak versus Mirza. Venus played a horrific first set. And then she goes out and played Wimbledon 07-esque tennis. 4 unreturnable serves and 3 blistering winners.

When Venus needs it, her game is there. She is conserving her body. She'll show up for Ana. Every time she has needed to show up, she has.