PDA

View Full Version : And If maria was in SF agaisnt Serena?

Vaidisova Ruled
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Lots of people here are saying that Masha is going to beat Henin, because "She's on fire". I fully agree with that. But what it would be against Serena in SF ?
Because in 2007, she never played great against Serena.
It would be sooooooo disapointing if Maria beat Justine and then lost to Serena

In The Zone
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Maria's game, even right now, is still perfect for Serena's offense and defense. It won't be blowouts like in 2007 but Serena will still win comfortably in two.

Demska
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Maria something like 6-1 6-1

supergrunt
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Serena's really not phased by power anymore. You gotta be able to move or mix it up to beat her.

Vaidisova Ruled
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Maria's game, even right now, is still perfect for Serena's offense and defense. It won't be blowouts like in 2007 but Serena will still win comfortably in two.
I'm afraid of that. I would prefer if Serena was in the first quarter and Maria in the second. Thus, I think she would meet Justine in SF (no offense) and would reach the final, again (and then maybe lost to Venus, again)

serenus_2k8
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM
My money is on Serena :)

Destiny
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Serena would want to bagel her but that wouldn't happen
i see a 6-2 6-2
if they do get in the SF which they will
Serena to win

Craigy
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM
If they both make it it's gonna be one tough match.

Ryan
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'd rather get spanked in the SF of a Slam than lose in the Quarters, any day. I think Maria's shots and game match up well with Serena's, but every day is a new one and we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

In The Zone
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I'd rather get spanked in the SF of a Slam than lose in the Quarters, any day. I think Maria's shots and game match up well with Serena's, but every day is a new one and we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

Put the best way it can be put. :yeah:

Serenidad.
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Following the tangent... 6-2 6-1, 6-1 6-1.

We're looking at a 6-1 6-0 OR a 6-0 6-1 up for Maria to decide her 1 game.

s_j
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Maria and Serena both have to win their Quarter Finals first. However, I think they both will and we will be in for a treat. Serena against Vaidisova was impressive but didn't prove to me that Serena is unbeatable this tournament. Nicole's errors and poor returns allowed Serena to dominate on serve, but a few sloppy games gave Serena the breaks. Maria has been playing so solidly. Her unforced error count has been lower than her winners count in every single one of her matches and her returns have been lethal. Dementieva won zero points behind her second serve and under 50% on her first. I know Serena's serve is of a different calibre but it just proves how well Maria is returning. Maria and Serena are about par when it comes to groundstrokes. This year, it all comes down to who serves and returns better. It'll be very close. That's why Serena won last year's final. Her serving and returning were far better than Maria's on the day (and then we found out about the shoulder injury.) Whatever happens, it should be a closely contested affair - and this time NO DRUBBINGS.

bandabou
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:47 PM
:lol: Is this even a discussion? Come on, we all know that Serena can't hold a candle against Maria.

DokicPova
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
maria 6-2 6-3

Olórin
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Maria something like 6-1 6-1

So you actually are demented...wow before now I'd always assumed you were just obnoxious...but now Im starting to see :lol:

A Magicman
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Pova in 2. Easily.

Olórin
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:02 PM
By the way I think that Serena would win in straights, but it would be quite a long match, with nearly every game going to deuce. Serena would have to fire a bit more consistently on her groundies too, and not alot allow Maria to dictate too much on her serve.

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM
:lol: Is this even a discussion? Come on, we all know that Serena can't hold a candle against Maria.
:tape: Did Sharapova get a new number? Cause I think Serena and Venus still have it.

danieln1
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM
If Maria defeats Justine, her Semi-final against Serena will be like the semi in 2005 (8-6 in the third for Serena), but I don´t want another humiliating defeat for Maria...

serenus_2k8
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I know Ive mentioned this in another thread, but I personally dont think Maria would have the mental strength to defeat Henin, (hopefully) then Ree, (very hopefully) then Vee... Maybe thats just me :confused:

s_j
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I know Ive mentioned this in another thread, but I personally dont think Maria would have the mental strength to defeat Henin, (hopefully) then Ree, (very hopefully) then Vee... Maybe thats just me :confused:

Yes. It is just you. You're being far too biased and subjective. To come back from a year like 2007 and return with some of the best form she's shown in years...doesn't that indicate how much mental strength she's got? She has beaten all of these players before but only time will tell if she can beat all 3 in a row. I hope Maria steps up to the challenge, but it will not be easy. No match against Justine, Serena or Venus ever is easy.

serenus_2k8
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Yes. It is just you. You're being far too biased and subjective. To come back from a year like 2007 and return with some of the best form she's shown in years...doesn't that indicate how much mental strength she's got? She has beaten all of these players before but only time will tell if she can beat all 3 in a row. I hope Maria steps up to the challenge, but it will not be easy. No match against Justine, Serena or Venus ever is easy.

Ok well if she can keep her cool against the world #1 and the defending champ who humiliated her in last years final, I will happily take my hat off to her.

And I am actually quite fond of Maria nowadays. I would much rather she won than Henin...

In The Zone
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I don't think anyone is expecting Maria to beat all 3. What is important for Maria is taking positives and moving back in the right direction -- rather than backwards. A victory over Justine sets the tone for a very positive 2008.

DownTheLine21
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I think that Sharapova would lose to either Henin or Serena.

s_j
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Ok well if she can keep her cool against the world #1 and the defending champ who humiliated her in last years final, I will happily take my hat off to her.

And I am actually quite fond of Maria nowadays. I would much rather she won than Henin...

It should be an exciting mission!

beriadan
Jan 20th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I think Maria can win, as long as she keeps the UEs down.

Tennisstar86
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I think Maria will beat justine as well; however, it has more to do with how justine is playing than Maria... Justine really hasnt looked very sharp... not like she did at Wimbledon and the US open... However, Maria vs. a williams sister is just a bad matchup. If both are in the Semi finals Serena will probably walk on through to the finals hungry for the titles...

heytennis
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I just want it to be a good match. No more embarassing losses. Maria can beat Serena when she serves well so I'm hopeful. Even if Maria loses to Henin, she has had a good tournament and has started out 2007 with a quarterfinal.

CR3WLFC
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Why are their so many Sharapova threads???? if maria.. what if maria .....

Are you concerned about her ????

but if maria gets past henin and serena that will boost her confidence and she will winn all 4 slams this year....

bus09
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Personally, I really think Serena will continue to pound Masha b.c. Serena has really figured out how to beat her. The commentators were completely correct last year when they said Maria doesn't know what to do when someone over-power's her.. when Serena lost to maria at wimbledon and the YEC and almost at the AO 2005, serena played very tenatively and allowed Sharapova to control the pace of the match and now that serena decided that she will be the driver of the match, masha can not figure out how to handle the situation. Serena 6-3 6-4 against Masha in the semis

Dave.
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I really cannot see Maria beating Justine, she has a better chance against Serena or Venus, because their games match up better with her. Justine has a horrible game for Maria. Also, yes Maria has been on fire and everything, which means she's due a bad match some time. If anything, she could have peaked too early in the tournament. Plus, Justine has only lost 1 Slam QF in her career and she will make Maria work very hard. So far for me, it's 80-20 in favour of Justine. I really don't know who would win the Justine v Serena semi however.

If Maria does get through, she will be too tired to do much against Serena or Jelena.

CR3WLFC
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:26 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

what about if jelena (not gonna happen) faces sharapova won't she be tired :confused:

Dodoboy.
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM
If Maria beats THE BIG THREE..it becomes THE BIG FOUR

CR3WLFC
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I really cannot see Maria beating Justine, she has a better chance against Serena or Venus, because their games match up better with her. Justine has a horrible game for Maria. Also, yes Maria has been on fire and everything, which means she's due a bad match some time. If anything, she could have peaked too early in the tournament. Plus, Justine has only lost 1 Slam QF in her career and she will make Maria work very hard. So far for me, it's 80-20 in favour of Justine. I really don't know who would win the Justine v Serena semi however.

If Maria does get through, she will be too tired to do much against Serena or Jelena.

:lol::lol::lol:
What if Jelena faces sharapova( not gonna happen) wont she be tired then :confused::confused:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I think Maria can beat Justine, and the way she is serving can very well beat Serena if she's not at the top of her game. Maria's serving has been great so far this tournament, so if she keeps that up she's a threat to everyone else left in the draw.

Dave.
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:40 PM
:lol::lol::lol:
What if Jelena faces sharapova( not gonna happen) wont she be tired then :confused::confused:

Well I was only talking about Maria. Plus, Jelena is less likely to beat Serena than Maria is to beat Justine. I didn't realise my post was so funny. :eek:

CR3WLFC
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Well I was only talking about Maria. Plus, Jelena is less likely to beat Serena than Maria is to beat Justine. I didn't realise my post was so funny. :eek:

because you write down that if maria beated henin then she would be tired to face serena or jelena i thought thats funny:lol: because sharapova won all her matches easliy wile jelena has strugelled.

TLP
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Golly Gee! Perhaps my fav (Justine) ought to just mail it in, appears she has little, if any, chance against the onslaught of the Siberian Siren. I hope she is already packed and ready to catch the next flight out of Melbourne, no use hanging around. Kudos to Maria for her great win over the soon to be former #1.