PDA

View Full Version : is the australian open becoming a circus?

martin white
Jan 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
i returned from melbourne and the ao on friday,despite having a fantastic time and supporting my faves in the first week,ive been to melb park the last 4 years but this year noticed while watching matches on show court 3 which backs onto the garden square area how noisy and loud the music was,it is a tennis tournament afterall and not a music concert,sure the ao had record breaking crowds this year which is great not only for the ao but tennis in general,i find now so many use this event as a booze up,which is cool,i felt the ao is becoming a circus, any thoughts?

Brett.
Jan 20th, 2008, 01:17 PM
:unsure:

urklerlay
Jan 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM
sounds like the US Open!

Ferosh
Jan 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Could you smell the hot dog fumes? I remember Alicia Molik was very upset about those fumes at the 2006 U.S Open.

A'DAM
Jan 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Well we all know it is not about tennis anymore it is about entertainment ...

njnetswill
Jan 20th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I wish I could be at that circus. :sad:

V.Melb
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Excellent question,

Let me tell you, I have been going to the Aus Open since the mid 90's, and it has changed A LOT. The tennis did not attract as many teenagers as it does today. Aus open is easily the most affordable Grandslam to go to... Nowadays, the tennis is the place to go for all the teenagers, even though the last thing they care about is actual tennis.
This has significantly changes the atmosphere, and thus, the way in which the Aus Open is marketed. It has become a virtual 'school holiday care' in the middle of the city for teenagers.
Of course, the young have every right to go to the tennis, but you cannot expect them to be as 'calm' as others. They are loud, the girls are giggly, they don't give a shit about the tennis... I have heard chair umpire say "Girls, please" between a point, because they were laughing so loud. Security companies can also make good money out of the open, every year, Serbs and Croats, and whatever other nationality these young AUSTRALIANS consider themselves to be, now go to the tennis draped in the flag of their ancestors ready to chant for players... I state once again, they have often never heard of.
Anyway, it has also become more commercial, more loud.... more vibrant also... I don't hate the change... I admit that the kids are annoying.
One thing that disgusted me was putting music between the games in Vodafone Arena during one of the matches... we are not in America! why do we have to copy everything Americans do? Let's try and keep some of this event original, and Australian. We have all the loud and goofy announcements, music and noise like at the US open, this is not America. I hope we don't completely go down that path.

Well, anyway, to conclude, the main change at the open, is with the patrons, I would say that the average age has dropped considerably. The result... not the most classy fans... certainly not like in Europe. The fans at the Aus open are goofy, loud, (sometimes drunk) and chanting all the time, but essentially good spirited... so it's a good atmosphere.
So the main changes:
More commercial, More young.

Monica_Rules
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Its just the way things are going in all sporting events. I go watch rugby matches and i drink everytime i go. I love the sport and watching ti but i make an occasion of it.

Tennis in the past has been too formal, its just coming into line with other sports. Although the Aus open seems to have these random clashes between groups of fans which i don't think has happened before in other slams.

Wiggly
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Excellent question,

Let me tell you, I have been going to the Aus Open since the mid 90's, and it has changed A LOT. The tennis did not attract as many teenagers as it does today. Aus open is easily the most affordable Grandslam to go to... Nowadays, the tennis is the place to go for all the teenagers, even though the last thing they care about is actual tennis.
This has significantly changes the atmosphere, and thus, the way in which the Aus Open is marketed. It has become a virtual 'school holiday care' in the middle of the city for teenagers.
Of course, the young have every right to go to the tennis, but you cannot expect them to be as 'calm' as others. They are loud, the girls are giggly, they don't give a shit about the tennis... I have heard chair umpire say "Girls, please" between a point, because they were laughing so loud. Security companies can also make good money out of the open, every year, Serbs and Croats, and whatever other nationality these young AUSTRALIANS consider themselves to be, now go to the tennis draped in the flag of their ancestors ready to chant for players... I state once again, they have often never heard of.
Anyway, it has also become more commercial, more loud.... more vibrant also... I don't hate the change... I admit that the kids are annoying.
One thing that disgusted me was putting music between the games in Vodafone Arena during one of the matches... we are not in America! why do we have to copy everything Americans do? Let's try and keep some of this event original, and Australian. We have all the loud and goofy announcements, music and noise like at the US open, this is not America. I hope we don't completely go down that path.

Well, anyway, to conclude, the main change at the open, is with the patrons, I would say that the average age has dropped considerably. The result... not the most classy fans... certainly not like in Europe. The fans at the Aus open are goofy, loud, (sometimes drunk) and chanting all the time, but essentially good spirited... so it's a good atmosphere.
So the main changes:
More commercial, More young.

Very good post!

I agree! Nowadays, tennis tournaments off court activites are as much important as the tennis itself.

drake3781
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
It seems the crowd is really bad in being partisan and cheering the errors of the opposing player??
Is this in only a few matches, or most/all of them?

serenus_2k8
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Yeh, tennis can struggle to compete against other sports that youngsters find more hyped and adrenaline pumping. I think if the AO helps others get into the sport and enjoy it more then it is a great thing! Its great to see so many people get behind a match!!

mckyle.
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Sounds fun for the fans :D

Direwolf
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM
omg..
i just realise..

what will happen in 5 years time?
10 years time..
where would be like..
arcades and rides..!!
it would be more fun...

wally1
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Excellent question,

So the main changes:
More commercial, More young.Very good post. I went to the AO in 2002 and it sounds like it's changed a lot even since that time (I don't remember goofy announcements, chanting fans or music between games).

Lunaris
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:44 PM
That's why Wimbledon will always be number one.

Sean.
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:50 PM
That's why Wimbledon will always be number one.

:worship:You got it.

I can't see Beyonce blairing out over Center Court, roof or no roof

Dave.
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I like some of the changes in recent years these tournaments have had. The Australian and US Opens seems alot more fun to go to than Wimbledon. At Wimbledon, if it is raining, there is NOTHING to do and it becomes a completely boring day. That is what I love about the other Slams, they care about their spectators. I think the music and the hot dog stands are great. Sometimes Wimbledon can be really dull especially if there is no good tennis on.

However, I do think tennis still needs to keep it's class. Drinking is good but only to a certain extent and I hate the fights between different groups of fans, or the really loud fans. Tennis started as an upper class sport and is still a classier sport than most others (yes upper class-middle class don't mean anything anymore) but I still like tennis having a better image than other sports. The Australian Open would be perfect if the fans didn't get too loud or started fighting.

Harvs
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:53 PM
the music adds to the atmosphere... its great for the fans, and i have only once in three years heard of any players complaining about it, so they opbviously enjoy the music too... so i think its a greta thing

drake3781
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:41 AM
You are saying there is music in the court during the changes? I would HATE that as a player. Can a player request no music if it doesn't suit her?

Keadz
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:52 AM
They should move the music closer to Vodafone IMO...but I really don't care. The music was pretty crap anyway.

I still think AO owns the other slams through the atmosphere and for the fans, which you can see through its world record attendance.

korben
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:44 AM
...;12354621']the music adds to the atmosphere... its great for the fans,

Really ? I stopped attending athletics meeting just because of that.
If I want to listen to music I go to consert !

And yes I have been at AO, there was no music then (I m old... :sad: )
If people canīt enjoy their sport without music. It means their choice of sport sucked in the first place !

SharapovaFan16
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:00 AM
Music gets you jacked up at football games.

woosey
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:04 AM
some of your responses are exactly why tennis is considered a sport for uptight, boring, stuck up old farts.

i've been to the u.s. open and although it was fun, it does not look nearly as fun as the australian open. so, i don't know why people are comparing it to the u.s. open - the aussies have nothing on the u.s. crowd or event when it comes to rowdy behaviour and loud fans. having said that, after seeing this year's tournament, i'm considering trying to get down there in the next couple of years. imo, tennis should aspire to have a cool, fun atmosphere. it is a sport not a frickin convention.

a grand slam is a two week event. it needs to have activities. there is nothing wrong with side gigs to make it even more appealing. people may want entertainment to fill their time. a tournament of this caliber should be an attraction and should temp even those who are not tennis fans to attend.

woosey
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:06 AM
Really ? I stopped attending athletics meeting just because of that.
If I want to listen to music I go to consert !

And yes I have been at AO, there was no music then (I m old... :sad: )
If people canīt enjoy their sport without music. It means their choice of sport sucked in the first place !

oh lord. you're a stuck in the mud aren't you?

times change, things change. thank goodness.