PDA

View Full Version : Dokic still has hope for the rest of the year !!!!

Cankarlo
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I am sorry if it's posted before.:wavey: But I saw it right now and it is great to see a new information about Jelena.

January 18, 2008

© Getty Images
Dokic Still Chasing Her Dreams

MELBOURNE, Australia - Although her quest to retake the Grand Slam stage was cut short as she lost during Australian Open qualifying, former Top 5 player Jelena Dokic still made her way back to the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour limelight a week before at Hobart. And despite all the setbacks, non-believers and a fairly removed sense of confidence, she still believes she can do it again.

Following an excellent junior career, which included a US Open singles title and a Roland Garros runner-up finish (to Nadia Petrova), Dokic first made a stir on the Tour with a shock 62 60 upset win over then-world No.1 Martina Hingis in the first round of Wimbledon in 1999. In the seasons to follow she pretty much accomplished it all: won Tour titles (five in singles, four in doubles), cracked the Top 10 in both disciplines (going as high as No.4 in singles and No.10 in doubles) and clearly asserting herself as one of the most promising young stars in the women's game. As quickly as it all came, however, it went.

"The last couple of years were tough for me," said Dokic, who dropped out of the Top 100 in 2004 and has not been back inside since. "I had some personal issues off the court that I was trying to sort out, and I just couldn't give tennis the focus I wanted. I wanted to give it 100% before coming back - and right now I feel I'm at that stage."

Having barely played over the last few years - and playing only one match in 2007 - an unranked Dokic needed a wildcard just to enter the qualifying draw at the Moorilla Hobart International the week before the Australian Open. It would end up being a breakout performance, as she won three matches to reach the main draw (including two wins over Top 100 players) and then beat world No.54 Martina Müller in the first round of the main draw to make the second round.

"I really didn't expect to make it that far, and I don't think a lot of people were expecting me to even make it through my first qualifying match," Dokic added. "But I beat three players in three days and won my first round match as well. I really exceeded my expectations and I'm really excited."

After four straight days of play, disaster struck, however. Dokic aggravated a right ankle injury during the first set of her second match against Flavia Pennetta and retired, a disappointing end to a marvelous comeback week.

"I hurt it in my first round but aggravated it there," Dokic said afterwards. "It was obviously great to come back in Australia, but it was pretty tough to do so at a Tour-level event. I had some tough opponents and I was playing hard all week. But it went far better than I thought it would - I'm really pleased."

Dokic got a wildcard into Australian Open qualifying and won her first match but fell in her second match to Tamarine Tanasugarn. With the sudden spike in play, however, it's not unheard of that a comeback suffers a setback like that. And the big-hitting Australian certainly isn't letting that cast a shadow on her 2008 goals.

"My goal at the start of the season was to make it back into the world's Top 50, but of course, as you saw, I'm going to be prone to injuries the next few months probably, just because I haven't played this much in the last two years.

"What I really miss about playing on the Tour is the competition. Day in and day out just playing points and matches, and seeing how I can do against the other players. In Hobart, I think I showed that I still have the desire. And I'm looking forward to playing this year out."

samsam4087
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hope that she can return Top 100 in 2008.

Just Do It
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Well, that's all wonderful, but they havent asked her a thing about schedule :spit:

Highlandman
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Well, that's all wonderful, but they havent asked her a thing about schedule :spit:

I agree.

__

The article is very nice :awww:

I'm sure Jelena can go to at least Top-100 this year :yeah: - if she plays a schedule with at least like 20 events.

jordan1989
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM

The logical thing would be to ask her when her next tournament is but no one asks :o

Go Jelena :bounce:

Cankarlo
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I'm going to be prone to injuries the next few months probably, I hope it is not meaning that she will not play in this period!!

scottsue
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I agree with you all. How silly it is not to ask her what her scheduling plans are!

Freakan
Jan 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
They didn't ask her because they probably haven't even talked to her, just found some articles with her quotes and used them in their article...

Keaka
Jan 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Noo, you have to be kidding me??!111!?1 :lol: :p kidding

Why should she have no hope? She is like 6-2 in WTA events, and was all optimistic even 1 week ago... she'll reach top 150 minimum this year :)

After 3 top 100 wins, the story is different then before, I'm sure. And now that people will offer to help... ;)

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM
These morons need to ask her what her plans are. I swear I'm gonna pull a Damir and threaten to bomb the country soon.

Willam
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
i Hope Jelena can make it :hearts: