PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with Anna?

cosmoose
Jan 20th, 2008, 12:38 AM
After her shocking defeat to Makiri, we are all wondering whats wrong with Anna.
What do you think caused her poor performance?

smokovec
Jan 20th, 2008, 08:49 AM
For me it's more a phisically problem, I see Anna very tired against Maria in the last set (read also the Kirilenko post-Match interview).

And also if you look at Anna Australian results only in 2007 she plays well.

I expekt Anna reach the peak during Wimbledon-US Open months and finally make a deep run in Wimbledon, because she is so good on grass in my opinion.

saint2
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:47 AM
She didnt lost to Sofia Arvidsson, she also didnt lost to Catelina Castano. She lost to Maria Kirilenko, its not a shame.

Sharapower8
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
It's not a big deal... She also has the right to lose sometimes and I don't worry about her game. Makiri played really good and that's all ... If we wondered what's wrong every time a player lost...:rolleyes:

PerfectForm
Jan 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Actually, as much as I like Anna, what I saw from her is exactly what she was pre 06-07. She lets her emotions get the better of her instead of concentrating.

This is very dangerous & I hope she will get her confidence back soon & not let her emotions affect her again.

GeorgianFan
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Don't panic! Its only 1 tournament. Everything is fine. :p

goldenlox
Jan 20th, 2008, 03:50 PM
It was a great draw wasted. But I don't know if there's a problem other than since the USO, Anna is less consistent from match to match

the cat
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I voted for the first choice that Anna has not recovered mentally from the robbery and how she, her parents and little brother's lives were at risk from such a horrific and personal crime against them. How could anyone emtionally recover from that so soon after it happened? And it's known that Anna had her left hand injured when her hands were tied up during the robbery. If her left hand isn't 100% healthy that and her mental anguish could be behind Anna's poor play so far in 2008. That makes sense to me. And it also makes sense that losing to Makiri her hometown friend and rival from childhood could bother Anna so much that it improves her focus and detrmination to make sure a stinging loss like that doesn't happen to her the rest of this year. That loss could get Anna's mind off her home invasion robbery and left hand injury and back on her game.

One good sign that came from the 2008 Australian Open for Anna is that she served 14 aces in the 2 matches she played. If she can develop her serve into a solid serve this year that will benefit her ability to hold serve, the rest of her game, her results and long term tennis future.

saint2
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
BTW- did police catch robbers? If not, that means she's still in danger...

cosmoose
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:24 AM
BTW- did police catch robbers? If not, that means she's still in danger...

I think the police made some arrests.

BUBI
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Don't panic!
I think it's the robbery and lack of self confidence. She looks fit, I don't think she's been lazy.

saniapower
Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
Maria Kirilenko is tough one to beat but i still feel Anna needs to be mentally stronger to perform well on big stages

Gdog
Jan 29th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Yep, Don't Panic!

Anna herself said she didn't get the amount of court time in before the AO. First the time off, then the robbery, then her short stint in the warm-up tourney, and on top of that a 3 minute 1st round match. Her game type fitness was lacking, but not because she got lazy. Circumstances beyond her control have kinda been at play lately. Then on top of that she plays Maria Kirilenko who first is a fellow countrywoman (the Russians always say they have added pressure when they play each other) and Maria was playing excellent tennis. Remember after she beat Anna she went out and took Daniela to the limit before losing a close match to her, so it wasn't a fluke against Anna.

What Anna needs now is more match time and a couple good wins to re-bolster the confidence level. That and support from all her fans. :hug::smooch: