PDA

View Full Version : Qatari news site mentions Shahar coming to Doha

shirgan
Jan 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM
it almost seems like they are proud to announce it :)

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=Sports_News&subsection=Tennis&month=January2008&file=Sports_News200801173959.xml

Israeli Peer happy with security for landmark Doha trip
Web posted at: 1/17/2008 3:9:59
Source ::: REUTERS

MELBOURNE • Shahar Peer (pictured right) was convinced that security would not be a problem in Doha, where next month she will become the first Israeli to play a tennis tour event.

The 20-year-old is scheduled to compete in the February 18-24 Qatar Open having not been allowed to play in the Gulf region last year because she was doing military service with the Israeli army.

“I spoke to people about security before we decided (to play)... and right away, in Israel, they said it’s not a problem,” the world number 17 said yesterday.

“We spoke with the people who know about those things and they said it’s really not a problem. The tournament was happy I am coming, they want to host the (2016) Olympics, so it’s a good opportunity (for them) too.”

The WTA granted Doha a tournament on the proviso that merit was the only consideration for a player’s entry.

With heightened relations between Israel and its neighbouring Muslim countries, Peer knows she is taking a risk by playing but it is one she feels is worth taking.

“I was thinking about it already the year before but because I was part of the army I couldn’t go,” she said.

“Doha is a big tournament... I don’t want to miss it. I heard it’s a nice tournament and is a nice place to go, so I am happy I am going and I am sure I’ll have a good time.”

As for blazing a trail for Israeli-Arab relations, Peer said she would do whatever she could.

“If by choosing to go, it will help anything in a positive way, I will go and be happy,” she said.

“I don’t know how it will help — I am not doing it for that, I’m doing it because of my tennis and my career but I will be happy if it will help anything.”

Meteor Shower
Jan 19th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Didn't some newspaper say she is comminted to Tier III Memphis and she must play three of those?

All those media fest around her makes me think she will lose early, whether her form is good or not.

BrandNew
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
yeah, what about memphis?