PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Day 4 Report

Experimentee
Jan 19th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I know its a bit late, but I've been pretty busy and too tired to do this earlier.

Today the weather was great, it was sunny and not too hot at all. It seemed like a lot of people turned up today and most of the courts with top players playing were hard to get into because they were always full. The worst was when the Williams sisters played doubles, there was the biggest lines I have ever seen outside every entrance of Show Court 2, and the lines weren't moving! There was no hope of getting in. The matches I saw were mainly on the big courts.

Venus def Pin 7-5 6-4

My first stop was to the Vodafone Arena where I saw the first set of this. Venus was nowhere near her best and made many UEs but Pin played well and was very solid and did not give Venus many UEs at all. Venus still managed to play well at the end of the set when it counted.

Chakvetadze def Kleybanova 6-3 6-4

It was the first time I'd had a chance to see Kleybanova. She's a big girl, very tall, big breasted and big boned and has a lot of power, but made way too many UEs. Chaky played well and was too solid and consistent for her.

Mirza def Baczinsky 6-1 4-6 7-5

I was there for the whole first set, Mirza played very well with a lot of power and fairly consistent and was too good for Timea in every department. I left after the first set and thought it would be over very quickly. When I came back I was very surprised to find it still going, and it was 4-4 in the 3rd. Mirza was still the better player and holding serve comfortably, however she couldn't take advantage of chances on Timea's serve. However she played a good game returning up 6-5, and Timea made a few UEs. Sania finished MP with a great return winner down the line.

Li def Camerin 6-4 6-3

I saw the last half of the first set, it looked like a poor quality match. Na made some good shots but way too many UEs but was still good enough to win the set as Camerin also made a lot of UEs. Na needs to improve her form if shes to beat Domachowska.

Radwanska def Parmentier 7-5 6-4

I only saw a few games of this but both were playing very well and consistently. Parmentier had nice flat shots and was leading in the first set but Radwanska came back and won it.

Yan/Zheng def Poutchkova/Rezai 6-2 6-1

It was total domination by the Chinese pair, they really worked well as a team and had much more awareness of the doubles court. Olga and Aravane were always smiling and looked like they were having a lot of fun despite being thrashed, and Yan and Zheng looked like they were having a good time too.

Wozniacki def Bondarenko 7-6(4) 6-1

I saw the 2nd set of this and it was all Caroline. She was playing so well, hitting with a lot of power and hardly missing a ball. She was playing like a top 20 player. Alona also hit very hard but Caroline was just too good for her.