PDA

View Full Version : Serena's Form?

serenus_2k8
Jan 16th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Now that we have all had the chance to see Serena play her first two matches, what do you make of her current form? Has she started better than last year? I havent seen much of her play so Im interested to know what you all think :D

Serena is head of the womens leaderboard with 17 aces and second in the leaderboard for fastest serve [194 km/h] :worship: which is second to Venus [199km/h]! :bounce:

Any predictions for the Ree v Azarenka match?

-VSR-
Jan 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I think Serena is moving better than last year and hitting much better than previous slams.

doni1212
Jan 16th, 2008, 04:29 PM
In her first round match, I had a fear that she was playing like she was at the U.S. Open and in the event in the fall when she lost to Dementieva. I thought she was playing passive. After her second round match, I think she played as well as in Miami if not better. She was blasting the ball and going after balls that she wasn't going after in the first round. The match point that she won in the second round, she wouldn't have went after in the first round. She was just really impressive and played amazing! I hope she keeps this up in the upcoming matches. There is no way Justine is beating her with Serena in this form. But of course, we have to focus on the earlier rounds starting with Azarenka.
Here's to an all Williams final, :drool::aparty:

serenus_2k8
Jan 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM
In her first round match, I had a fear that she was playing like she was at the U.S. Open and in the event in the fall when she lost to Dementieva. I thought she was playing passive. After her second round match, I think she played as well as in Miami if not better. She was blasting the ball and going after balls that she wasn't going after in the first round. The match point that she won in the second round, she wouldn't have went after in the first round. She was just really impressive and played amazing! I hope she keeps this up in the upcoming matches. There is no way Justine is beating her with Serena in this form. But of course, we have to focus on the earlier rounds starting with Azarenka.

Woo!!! :bounce:

So do you feel Azarenka is not able to threaten her or is it gonna go all the way? :help:

doni1212
Jan 16th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure. If Serena plays like she did yesterday, than she should win in straight sets and not too much drama. I was researching Azarenka and she makes me nervous. I was watching some of her videos on youtube, saw who she had wins over (Sharapova and Petrova last year), how she made the finals of Gold Coast and beat Shahar Peer and Sugiyama easily. I just hope Serena brings her A game and doesn't start off slow. If Serena plays scratchy she'll still probably win but we might have to go into a tiebreak or something. Also, this might be a night match and maybe Azarenka will get nervous under the lights and not do as well as she can, :shrug:

-VSR-
Jan 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Serena will handle this match well and look even more impressive. :)

Craigy
Jan 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Azarenka is a great player. I'm definitely not underestimating her and I hope Serena won't either.

*W*
Jan 16th, 2008, 08:19 PM

I Agree !:bounce:

starin
Jan 16th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Azarenka is a great player. I'm definitely not underestimating her and I hope Serena won't either.

Yup. Azarenka has a power game that can beat Serena if she comes out passive (pushing the ball) and unfocused and lazy (not moving well, bad footwork) and if she serves like she did yesterday at times (too many DF). If Azarenka catches fire she could win....I'm worried cuz its 2008 and Serena doesn't usually play let alone win the AO on even years.

2002: DNP
2004: DNP
2006: 3rd RD
2008: :unsure::scared:

Her 5th major in a row..that must be a record for her.

As to her form. I'm really happy to see that she is progressing the right direction. She is hitting the ball much harder and more aggressively. Her footwork is better and she is moving a little more quickly. Some of the shots she hit on the run in her 2 matches gave me flashbacks of 2002 Peak Serena. :eek: I haven't seen it for so long that I forgot how dangerous Serena used to be on the run. She's still much slower than she was but she is going in the right direction. Even if she loses tomorrow I def. think her form is going in the right direction and in the future she could return to her fierce multiple slam winning game. So go Serena, keep working on that fitness and that powerful game you have. :yeah:

2moretogo
Jan 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Serena will not lose tomorrow... this is AO and barring injury, Azarenka, while talented, will not be able to hit the gears that Serena will be able to.

As far as how she looks, movement is much better than anything we saw all last year because she is much fitter. Which in turn is helping the rest of her game. Her second serve was a bit sketchy yesterday, and her 1st serve wasn't where it should be, but I think overall so good. It is just so early in the season and the tourney. I think after tomorrow, we will be able to tell more where she is.

Jan 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Actually manatee it is six staight slams she has participated in

Craigy
Jan 16th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Her 5th major in a row..that must be a record for her.

That point did interest me. And as 2moretogo to go said, it's actually six in a row she has played. :eek:

That equals the most grand slams she's played in a row. She's actually done that twice before. :speakles:

1998: Australian, French, Wimbledon, US.
1999: Australian, French, missed Wimbledon.

2002: French, Wimbledon, US
2003: Australian, French, Wimbledon.

So this year she could manage to make it 9 in a row. :drool:

serenaforever
Jan 17th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Serena is playing better all-around tennis than in the recent past, definately. :bounce:

She's quickly improving; Azarenka will be a nice test for her.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 17th, 2008, 02:05 AM
should she demolish vika then we will definitely know she's where she needs to be