PDA

View Full Version : If Lindsay plays Maria in 2nd round....

lindsayno1
Jan 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM
What do you think her approach to the game will be?
I've not really seen Lindsay play since shes been back, apart from against Jankovic in Bali, so don't know if she's moving like a sloth, how her ball striking is or what!!!

Do you reckon she'll play Maria like she used to, or take her chances and go for the winners early during the point? Im not sure if she's ready for a run around by Maria...but then again she did beat Jelena!

LindsayfanTV
Jan 13th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I think Lindsay will play her usual game ~ dominate from the first opportunity and go for clean winners. She'll make errors and she has had some patchy games in most of her matches. I think if she is going to win she will need to be more consistent than she has been so far in her comeback to trouble Maria.

But I think the chance to play a top player is a real incentive for her to see where her game is against the top 10, which is where she belongs. So I think she will be up for it and will play very aggressively.

LindsayRulz
Jan 13th, 2008, 10:52 PM
If Lindsay plays like she did in the first set of her match against Granville at Auckland and Maria serves like she was serving at the HK final, Lindsay has good chances to win the match.

mike/topgun
Jan 13th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Officially, first they both need to win their first round matches. Although, I seriously doubt that they'll be troubled, we still have to wait for tonights results.

In this potential second round clash Masha is a slight favourite (4-1 in H2H, still n5in the ranks).
Well, after what I saw from Lindsay in Auckland (which was quite impressive), I must say that if she plays the same she's got a great chance on knocking '07s runner up out from AO.
She's got no pressure, she is fresh and healthy, plus she's really aggressive and wisely takes it step by step and Jagger keeps her focused outside the courts.

If Lindsay beats Maria, she'll make a great step on her way to being a top5 player again. :p

Lindsayfan32
Jan 14th, 2008, 05:40 AM
She just won in three sets 7-5 in the third to a player she thumped the last two times they played I hope she goes put a swings freely like a player who been given a second life as that exactly what she's got Eranni was 4-2 in the third. I haven't seen any of the match as channel 7 had to play the Andy Roddick snore fest. So I'n only going by a live score.

LDF
Jan 14th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Officially, first they both need to win their first round matches. Although, I seriously doubt that they'll be troubled, we still have to wait for tonights results.

In this potential second round clash Masha is a slight favourite (4-1 in H2H, still n5in the ranks).
Well, after what I saw from Lindsay in Auckland (which was quite impressive), I must say that if she plays the same she's got a great chance on knocking '07s runner up out from AO.
She's got no pressure, she is fresh and healthy, plus she's really aggressive and wisely takes it step by step and Jagger keeps her focused outside the courts.

If Lindsay beats Maria, she'll make a great step on her way to being a top5 player again. :p

:p

Andrew..
Jan 14th, 2008, 05:53 AM
You can't take a whole lot from today's match. The match against Maria will be totally different. The only thing I really got out of it was that Lindsay needs to go for the lines more, and stay away from hitting up the middle of the court.

Elldee
Jan 14th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I was hoping for a drubbing or an experimental match against Errani are a Sharapova-prep ala Safina in Wimbledon before the Clijsters match in '05. Have you ever seen the safina match? Lindsay played so well and won 62 61 - it's one of my favourite matches. ANYWAY, I still think this'll help and Lindsay ain't ever going to get blown of the court. She just couldn't get the ball away from her opponent today... she seemed to try centering the court from 2-4 for a bit but then stopped and started playing the angles. Errani played really well we should remember, a plus ten winnners to errors ratio,

Lindsayfan32
Jan 14th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I just read on a blog so I do take this with a grain of salt. That Lindsay cramped up during the match is this true. If it is fitness could start being an issue as it wasn't that hot today in Melbourne and the weather is set to get hotter over the next few days.

LDF
Jan 14th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I just read on a blog so I do take this with a grain of salt. That Lindsay cramped up during the match is this true. If it is fitness could start being an issue as it wasn't that hot today in Melbourne and the weather is set to get hotter over the next few days.

Don't worry, Lindsay did not cramp during the match ;)

lindsayno1
Jan 14th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I was hoping for a drubbing or an experimental match against Errani are a Sharapova-prep ala Safina in Wimbledon before the Clijsters match in '05. Have you ever seen the safina match? Lindsay played so well and won 62 61 - it's one of my favourite matches. ANYWAY, I still think this'll help and Lindsay ain't ever going to get blown of the court. She just couldn't get the ball away from her opponent today... she seemed to try centering the court from 2-4 for a bit but then stopped and started playing the angles. Errani played really well we should remember, a plus ten winnners to errors ratio,

i was at the safina match...was awesome!

Andrew..
Jan 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Don't worry, Lindsay did not cramp during the match ;)
Actually, the whole issue with Lindsay's foot was apparently just a cramp.

She's not beating Maria. But it should be fairly close.

gossipcom
Jan 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM
What do you think her approach to the game will be?
To play not like she did in the second and third set of 1R :)

hurricanejeanne
Jan 15th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Actually, the whole issue with Lindsay's foot was apparently just a cramp.

She's not beating Maria. But it should be fairly close.

I'm glad the foot isn't anything too serious, though foot cramps are very unpleasant.
I saw the first few games of Maria's match and there's no way Lindsay's winning that one. I'd be happy with it being close though.

LindsayRulz
Jan 15th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I'm glad the foot isn't anything too serious, though foot cramps are very unpleasant.
I saw the first few games of Maria's match and there's no way Lindsay's winning that one. I'd be happy with it being close though.

Maria was very impressive with her service games in the first set. She had 100% of first serves in until the middle-end of the set. She wasn't consistant with her returns though. And in the second set, she started to struggle with her serves and was only at 47% in the second set with 5 DFs when I went to sleep, I think it was 5-4.

Lindsayfan32
Jan 15th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Cramps in the foot that seems like a odd injury if you can call it that. Glad it's nothing too serious too. Lindsay will play Maria first match tomorrow night. Starting at 7:30pm aussie time. Hope she goes out swing freely and like she has nothing to lose there is more pressure on Maria than Lindsay. Lindsay might just surprise us all and win.

mike/topgun
Jan 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Masha will win 6-2 6-4...
I guess that after all the fuss it's gonna be an ordinary match, so Maria will prove too strong for Lindsay atm :unsure: Then I saw Lindsay's interview with B.Schett and she seemed so optymistic and relaxed. Hope the conditions will help her at RLA, it seems a little bit faster(in tv) than the outside courts.

Hope it's not a beatdown :scared: Hope for a decent play from Lindsay and I'd be thrilled if she plays as well as vs Paszek in Auckland.:)

tennisboi
Jan 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I think beating Maria is a big ask. Lindsay will give it a good try but just look at the circumstacnes this is by far the biggest match Lindsay has played since 2006 & Maria is the world number 5 & has played plenty big matches against the world's best in recent months. I'd say the score line will be 63 46 62

Elldee
Jan 15th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I think Lindsay will have to win the first.

Lindsayfan32
Jan 15th, 2008, 10:14 PM

I totally agree with you. I just want to see Lindsay put up a fight and swing freely and if she does that she might just win. Even if she doesn't then I want Lindsay to have her ranking up enough to be seeded by Wimbledon so this draw can never happen again.

MH0861
Jan 16th, 2008, 12:15 AM

That hasn't stopped her before from losing :spit:

Just hoping she accounts for herself well. It'll be a good test and let her know what to improve, if nothing else. :)

RayRob
Jan 16th, 2008, 10:49 PM
So unfortunately Lindsay lost but I wasn't expecting much. When I heard about the possible second round clash I kind of had an inside "gulp". Lindsay has produced results of sorts, but she herself admitted not having faced the top players. She also reckons that she is capable of playing better but in order for that to happen she has to play the top players more so.

I didn't see the match (was at work and it wasn't on regular Radio 5 Live) so I had to sneakily follow the scores on the internet. (I started a new job just over a week ago so I really didn't want to push it with the internet access). When I saw Lindsay was down 5-love in the first, my first thoughts were "please don't be bageled...Lindsay dishes them out, not take them". As it happens, she didn't have bagels - great! That, at least pleased me!

I'm happy for her, and pleased she's back (for however long) but she seems happier these days. I'm glad she's not playing RG - extremely pleased that she's playing doubles. She's played with Dani before...last year I think, just as she was coming back. It was a fairly good partnership!

Well, that's my comment on the matter - I thought more people might have turned up to make comment.

Rache

gossipcom
Jan 16th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Rache it seems like they've commented in the other thread :)

When she wasn't double bageled I thought at least she's still got one up in that regard against Maria.