PDA

View Full Version : Venus & Serena Has Same Goal For 2008: Being #1 Who Will Get There First?

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Williams, the current Wimbledon champion, added she would be tussling with her sister Serena for the number one spot during 2008.
"I definitely want to return to number one," she said, when asked about her sister's aim to head the rankings this year.
Venus Williams, currently ranked eight in the world, said she would also be focusing on the Beijing Olympics, in an effort to regain both the singles and doubles titles she won in Sydney in 2000.
"Sydney was too exciting. Definitely the highlight of my career and just beyond my dreams," she said.
"Serena and I are already preparing to play in the doubles. We are going to play in Australia and we are going to play a lot more together," she added.

For Full Story: http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=afp-tennishkgvenus&prov=afp&type=lgns

Slumpsova
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:21 PM
none of them :o

Paul.be
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I didn' want to post that as the first. I'm afraid of red dots. :scared:

Bijoux0021
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:31 PM
If they win 3 or more slams this year, it won't matter who's #1. I'm sure they and their fans will be happy.

Slumpsova
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:33 PM
If they win 3 or more slams this year, it won't matter who's #1. I'm sure they and their fans will be happy.
if they win 3 slams, surely they are #1 what's your point? :lol:

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM

He means between them, so another player could take a slam and a lot of Tier Is and IIs.

I think they will take 1 and 2. :hearts: :DI just dont know which order! :bounce: I guess Venus is fave because she has no points to defend at AO?:confused:

Nemo_Kool
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM
i dont mind really just as long as one of the williams reigns supreme. Venus has got the most realistic chance pre wimbledon albeit quite slim as Henin has relatively few points from jan-mar. post-wimbledon its serena me thinks!!!

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Yea, I think after the Aussie Open, Venus will be in the top 5, but Henin will definitely add to her already huge lead over everyone else.

Bijoux0021
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I, for one, don't care about rankings. The Williams sisters are capable of winning slams no matter what their rankings. They've proved that many times before. If they win 3 or more slams between them this year and still not reach the #1 ranking, it won't matter. The slams are what's important. Right now the only reason I would care about their rankings is facing each other before the finals.

wicked0987
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Somehow I can't imagine Henin not being nr1 or 2 the year after she won 2 of the 3 slams she entered without losing a set. I might be wrong. I'm actually hoping that the sisters will up their game in 2008, and really rival with Henin, as it'll make things a lot more interesting...

Remember there can only be one nr1, Serena, Venus, Maria, Justine, Amelie, Lindsay have all shown they could do it before, so there's competition enough for both the sisters

A'DAM
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:09 PM
This year will be between Justine, Maria , Venus and Serena and we will see who will end up as nb 1 .
My guess is Justine will...

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I think everyone is missing the point: Although in your intrests, you only care about the Slams, Venus and Serena clearly has mandated the goal of being #1 in their priority. THEY WANT THAT #1 SPOT!

Destiny
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:23 PM
don't care about ranking as long as they take home slams am happy
but i would prefer if Venus was number one
And who doesn't want the number one spot, they need that goal to push them to play

supergrunt
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:47 PM
they have to win atleast 3

supergrunt
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:47 PM
total

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM

exactly ,

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:21 PM
exactly ,

Lets leave the #1 spot to Masha? :tape: :help:

supergrunt
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM
^lol

Paul.be
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the bad reps -VSR- and doni1212. :lol:

IceHock
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
kinda off topic but i was just driving to the store and venus was on the radio with ryan seacrest.

Matt01
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I'm wondering if some the Williams-fans now will be still saying that rankings don't matter...

Shoulderpova
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I think they have a great shot at being number 1 in doubles if they play constantly :wavey:

supergrunt
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:15 PM
kinda off topic but i was just driving to the store and venus was on the radio with ryan seacrest.

what was she saying?

harloo
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I'm wondering if some the Williams-fans now will be still saying that rankings don't matter...

Uh....a few Williams fans have already stated rankings doesn't matter to them. They would like to see the sisters dominate the slams. Justine can have the #1 spot, it's highly overrated.:tape::lol:

IceHock
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:28 PM
what was she saying?

It was about her eleven clothing line, about how cheap it is and everything and suits everyone.

Matt01
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Uh....a few Williams fans have already stated rankings doesn't matter to them. They would like to see the sisters dominate the slams. Justine can have the #1 spot, it's highly overrated.:tape::lol:

Then why have the Willies repeatedly stated that one of their biggest goals is to reach the #1 ranking?

jrollaneres25
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Then why have the Willies repeatedly stated that one of their biggest goals is to reach the #1 ranking?

EXACTLY! To the Williams Fans, being #1 is overrated...until they get their, and then they'll rub it in everyone's face.

But to Venus and Serena, being #1 is what they were raised to be. Their dad raised them to Be ranked #1. So I think the Williams Fans need to recognize that same desire BOTH Williamses express.

Tennisstar86
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Somehow I can't imagine Henin not being nr1 or 2 the year after she won 2 of the 3 slams she entered without losing a set. I might be wrong. I'm actually hoping that the sisters will up their game in 2008, and really rival with Henin, as it'll make things a lot more interesting...

Remember there can only be one nr1, Serena, Venus, Maria, Justine, Amelie, Lindsay have all shown they could do it before, so there's competition enough for both the sisters

Serena didnt end the year in 2003 ranked number 1..... Seles didnt end 93 ranked number 1... you never know what will happen...

supergrunt
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:14 AM
slams definatley matter more than being #1

jrollaneres25
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:32 AM
slams definatley matter more than being #1

I agree, but they DO want that #1 Spot...no denying that

AcesHigh
Jan 7th, 2008, 03:48 AM

They want it by winning the slams.

Also, I think this emphasis on rankings is completely new. Only last year I believe, both said they dont pay attention to rankings. They both just want to be considered the best and to win as much as possible and I think this "#1" thing is a result of Henin being the CLEAR number one and being considered better than both. Maybe a little jealousy of that? I'm not sure.

I don't think either will be #1 though. It's an unrealistic goal for anyone who plays so little, but I think they(the sisters combined) can win 3/4 slams this year. That seems realistic.

-VSR-
Jan 7th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the bad reps -VSR- and doni1212. :lol:

My bad rep wasn't for this thread. You have just been dissing and slamming Venus & Serena left in right for no reason. :)

jrollaneres25
Jan 7th, 2008, 04:37 AM
They want it by winning the slams.

Also, I think this emphasis on rankings is completely new. Only last year I believe, both said they dont pay attention to rankings. They both just want to be considered the best and to win as much as possible and I think this "#1" thing is a result of Henin being the CLEAR number one and being considered better than both. Maybe a little jealousy of that? I'm not sure.

I don't think either will be #1 though. It's an unrealistic goal for anyone who plays so little, but I think they(the sisters combined) can win 3/4 slams this year. That seems realistic.

Well, you must not watch alot of their tennis matches and interviews, because I've heard them say plenty many times that they want to be #1 again. And do you have any references to your statement claiming that they don't pay attention to the rankings? I did hear them say that, but that was only because they knew that they would meet a higher seed early in a draw because of their low ranking. It had nothing to do with their desire to being #1 again. So they definitley do pay attention to the rankings, when they refer to them being #1

RenaGOAT
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Rena will take the Oz, then the battle will commence before she finally wins the US and cements her #1 ranking for the season...

hectopascal
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Henin will be #1 for quite some time as she has no points to defend for the AO. But I think if someone were to take over #1 from Henin, it would be Serena :)

jrollaneres25
Jan 9th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Henin will be #1 for quite some time as she has no points to defend for the AO. But I think if someone were to take over #1 from Henin, it would be Serena :)

I disagree. Venus will definitely have the better chance, as she has nearly no points to defend early this season

AcesHigh
Jan 9th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Well, you must not watch alot of their tennis matches and interviews, because I've heard them say plenty many times that they want to be #1 again. And do you have any references to your statement claiming that they don't pay attention to the rankings? I did hear them say that, but that was only because they knew that they would meet a higher seed early in a draw because of their low ranking. It had nothing to do with their desire to being #1 again. So they definitley do pay attention to the rankings, when they refer to them being #1

No, sorry, but you're wrong. A lot of times, when asked about their ranking..they didn't even know. They often don't know the ranking of their opponent and have been criticized about not giving opponents respect or knowing about some opponents.

They have said repeatedly they don't pay attention to rankings b/c honestly, in their minds, they are the best players on tour... that however, I'm guessing has changed last year.

They'd LIKE to be #1 but it has never been a priority. Results first.. slams first... and then #1 will follow. If the WS cared that much about being #1, they'd gear their schedules and careers more towards that and history has shown they havent.

AcesHigh
Jan 9th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I disagree. Venus will definitely have the better chance, as she has nearly no points to defend early this season

Although I'm a fan, Venus has very little chance at #1. She wasn't even #1 at her peak. She doesn't have the volume or consistency of results. Serena meanwhile can challenge on all surfaces and can be more consistent.

Like I said, I doubt either will be #1.. but Serena is more likely to do it if i had to pick one.

starin
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Although I'm a fan, Venus has very little chance at #1. She wasn't even #1 at her peak. She doesn't have the volume or consistency of results. Serena meanwhile can challenge on all surfaces and can be more consistent.

Like I said, I doubt either will be #1.. but Serena is more likely to do it if i had to pick one.

i still have hope that they can play at a consistently high level. Something neither has done since 2003.

faboozadoo15
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Lets leave the #1 spot to Masha? :tape: :help:

She's ranked above both Venus and Serena after her worst season.

G1Player2
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:18 AM

:lol: That says ALOT about the ranking system, and not Venus and Serena, since Venus and Serena both won a slam last year. ;)

hectopascal
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:19 AM

But both Venus and Serena won a grand slam last year :bounce: That is probably what will be remembered in the record books, not who finished the year ranked higher ;)

faboozadoo15
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM
:lol: That says ALOT about the ranking system, and not Venus and Serena, since Venus and Serena both won a slam last year. ;)

Maria made the final of one major, a SF at another, won a tier 1, and made the final of the YEC.
Venus and Serena never made it past the quarters at any other majors than the one they won.

faboozadoo15
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM
But both Venus and Serena won a grand slam last year :bounce: That is probably what will be remembered in the record books, not who finished the year ranked higher ;)

That's not what my post was about. Maria is closer to #1 than Venus or Serena.

Infiniti2001
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Maria made the final of one major, a SF at another, won a tier 1, and made the final of the YEC.
Venus and Serena never made it past the quarters at any other majors than the one they won.

Emm, the last time I checked Venus made it to the semi final of the US Open :shrug:

G1Player2
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Venus amde it to the SF of the US Open and skipped Austrailia. Serena made the quarters or better of every slam last year, even while having a calf and thumb injury at Wimbledon.

And I don't care if Venus and Serena lost in the 1st round of every other slam they played besides the one they won. It still will beat Maria's year substantially.

:wavey:

G1Player2
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:36 AM
That's not what my post was about. Maria is closer to #1 than Venus or Serena.

Also, Venus and Serena scraped the court with Maria all of last year. She won a total of 9 games in 3 matches. :eek: :lol:

faboozadoo15
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:47 AM
whoops. I was wrong about Venus.
We'll see if she can get to number one before Wimbledon. It'll be interesting.

faboozadoo15
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Also, Venus and Serena scraped the court with Maria all of last year. She won a total of 9 games in 3 matches. :eek: :lol:

Maria also got clobbered twice by Ivanovic and then rightly beat the crap out of her at the YEC. What's your point?

Oh, and how many games did Maria win against Venus in Miami? :tape:

And good thing for Serena she didn't make the semi at the YEC.

G1Player2
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Maria also got clobbered twice by Ivanovic and then rightly beat the crap out of her at the YEC. What's your point?

I meant, that, in the 3 matches Maria lost against Venus and Serena, she won a total of 9 games. And just because Maria beat Ivanovic in YEC, after losing to her on her worst surface, isn't an exactly good correlation toward her losses to Venus and Serena especially considering the fact that Maria got beat even worse when she played Serena in Miami after getting massacred in Austrailia a few months before.

Tennisstar86
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Yes Venus has the "best" chance pre Wimbledon to get it as shes really defending nothing... Will she? probably not... Im interested to see if Wimbledon would Rank her 1 anyways.....

And yes Maria being ranked ahead of Venus and Serena says a lot about Her draws and ranking system.....

Tennisstar86
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I meant, that, in the 3 matches Maria lost against Venus and Serena, she won a total of 9 games. And just because Maria beat Ivanovic in YEC, after losing to her on her worst surface, isn't an exactly good correlation toward her losses to Venus and Serena especially considering the fact that Maria got beat even worse when she played Serena in Miami after getting massacred in Austrailia a few months before.

Not to mention you add in that Ana hasnt been playing well at all lately....:tape:

faboozadoo15
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:59 AM

She was beaten twice by Ana around the same time she was beaten by the williams sisters. Her form improved, she started serving well, and she smacked Ana off the court. There is a correlation there. Serena didn't make it through the draw to play Maria in Madrid.

faboozadoo15
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Not to mention you add in that Ana hasnt been playing well at all lately....:tape:

:sad: boohoo, she had just beaten two top ten players before playing Maria and had won a an indoor title in the fall. Granted, she's no beacon of consistency.

starin
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:29 AM
:sad: boohoo, she had just beaten two top ten players before playing Maria and had won a an indoor title in the fall. Granted, she's no beacon of consistency.

why are any WS fans responding to this fool? wasn't this the same douche who went on and on and on about how Serena would never win the AO last year?

G1Player2
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:31 AM
why is anyone responding to this fool? wasn't this the same douche who went on and on and on about how Serena would never win the AO last year?

Yep. :lol: And dissapeared for awhile after Maria got drummed in the final. He always goes into hiding when Maria loses.

jrollaneres25
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:32 AM

Yea, Sharapova barely squeezed that out. Trust, Sharapova is about to get passed by Venus after the Aussie Open. So although she is closer to # 1, she won't be after this tournament.

faboozadoo15
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Yep. :lol: And dissapeared for awhile after Maria got drummed in the final. He always goes into hiding when Maria loses.

That's absolutely untrue, and I've ripped donitard a new asshole for unsuccessfully stating that last year.

faboozadoo15
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:46 AM
why are any WS fans responding to this fool? wasn't this the same douche who went on and on and on about how Serena would never win the AO last year?

:eek: Oh no here comes manatard to the rescue. Like your sloppy ass has never been wrong before :haha:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I dont care about Rankings...just win grand slams and beat Henins ass!

mb011
Jan 9th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Don't worry ana ivanovic has the same goal, and she and jelena might just get there first ;)

jrollaneres25
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Don't worry ana ivanovic has the same goal, and she and jelena might just get there first ;)

HA!:rolleyes: We shall see.......

ns_Henin
Jan 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM
In their and their fans' dream.

jrollaneres25
Jan 10th, 2008, 05:26 AM
In their and their fans' dream.

In Who's fans dreams? Don't get embarrassed this year!:lol: You know that when a Williams Sister put her mind to it, she'll do it. So get ready for Justine to get trounced this year. Maria was first, JUSTINE IS NEXT!

jrollaneres25
Jan 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Trust!

jrollaneres25
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:05 AM
So Will Venus enter the top 5 after the Aussie open? Or will she enter the top 3 before the end of this year?

Ciarán
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Why do people keep re-viving these old threads? :sobbing:

jrollaneres25
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Rena will take the Oz, then the battle will commence before she finally wins the US and cements her #1 ranking for the season...

Wow. You was off about the Oz Open, but dead on about the Us and Clinching the #1 spot afterwards. Let's see if you will be right about her ending the year at #1

jrollaneres25
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Emm, the last time I checked Venus made it to the semi final of the US Open :shrug:

Lol. Clearly they weren't paying enough attention.

jrollaneres25
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Yes Venus has the "best" chance pre Wimbledon to get it as shes really defending nothing... Will she? probably not... Im interested to see if Wimbledon would Rank her 1 anyways.....

And yes Maria being ranked ahead of Venus and Serena says a lot about Her draws and ranking system.....

I KNOW!:eek: And they didn't, even though she clearly is the most decorated athlete on that surface amongst active players. Now the interesting note is if they seed her #1 in 2009.

jrollaneres25
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:58 AM

Wow, good predict

jrollaneres25
Sep 28th, 2008, 12:59 AM
In Who's fans dreams? Don't get embarrassed this year!:lol: You know that when a Williams Sister put her mind to it, she'll do it. So get ready for Justine to get trounced this year. Maria was first, JUSTINE IS NEXT!

Yep, and proved to be true when Serena beat her in Miami 6-2, 6-0

Uranium
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Venus it seems like will never be #1 again:sobbing:
I hope I am wrong:p

jrollaneres25
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Why do people keep re-viving these old threads? :sobbing:

Haha, don't be mad:lol:

HRHoliviasmith
Sep 28th, 2008, 01:25 AM
:haha: :haha: what a prescient (sp) thread.

Dodoboy.
Sep 28th, 2008, 10:20 AM
:haha:

doni1212
Sep 28th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Venus it seems like will never be #1 again:sobbing:
I hope I am wrong:p

They said the same thing about Serena. Have faith Casey!!

serenus_2k8
Sep 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
:haha: @ the start of this thread.

Gutted haters.

Like 3 posts in. I love when Ree proves you all wrong.

sweetpeas
Sep 28th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Right!!!They never learn...We" talking about a Williams..!!!!.

Destiny
Sep 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM
:worship:

serenafan08
Sep 28th, 2008, 07:46 PM
:lol: Some people just never learn do they?

jrollaneres25
Sep 28th, 2008, 08:18 PM
:lol: Some people just never learn do they?

I guess not

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 29th, 2008, 02:38 AM
:rolls: great bump