PDA

View Full Version : No Main Draw WC For Dokic, final WC goes to Gajdosova

IMPOSSIBLE
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5830238,00.jpg

JELENA Dokic has missed out on an Australian Open wildcard, forcing her to play the qualifying event this week in a bid to make the main draw.

And she's no certainty to be able to contest the qualifying rounds that start on Thursday at Melbourne Park.

First, the 24-year-old, who doesn't have a world ranking, must be granted one of the four remaining wildcards into qualifying where a player must win three matches to earn a spot in the main draw for the Open starting next week.

That invitation from Tennis Australia should be a formality, given she beat two of the world's top 100 players at the weekend to win a place in the Hobart International starting today.

But now she might not make it back in time after winning three qualifying matches to be included in Hobart's singles draw.

Should the resurgent Dokic win two main draw matches in Hobart, she would struggle to get back to Melbourne in time to sign on for the Open's qualifying event.

And all the women's wildcards have now been allocated after adopted Aussie Jarmila Gajdosova of the Slovak Republic was awarded the last one yesterday.

Dokic's first round in Hobart today is against German Fed Cup representative Martina Muller, who is ranked 54 and won a WTA tour title in Budapest in 2002.

Whatever the outcome, Dokic is making positive advances in her comeback by adding vital competition conditioning to her fitness routine.

The former world No. 4 admitted in Hobart yesterday she was surprised by her form.

"I've been playing well, I played well in all the matches when I really needed to step it up and now I'm here," she said.

"I've worked hard the last two months, I didn't really expect to play this well yet, so for me to be beating top 100 players fairly easily, I'm just amazed, I've surprised myself.

"My first goal was to be in the top 50 at the end of the year and I think that was not an easy target.

"But the way I'm going I think I can reach that."

Dokic said during the pre-Christmas Australian Open playoff that qualifying for tournaments would be better for her long-term comeback.

"Honestly, I would rather play (Australian Open) qualifying. It's something that would suit me better overall for my game," she said after a slightly strained left thigh forced her to retire during the playoff quarter-finals.

"The harder I'm made to work early on, it will be easier later on for me to get up the rankings. So I wouldn't mind playing qualifying in any event."

Petkorazzi
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:18 PM
As expected ...

alwayshingis
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM
They promised the WCs too early, as Dokic and Gajdosova should both receive MD WCs, but they did not know that yet when they allocated other ones.

go_russia
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Gajdosova why ? just because she became an Australian citizen ?

Tennace
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:22 PM
:weirdo:

So how many matches must Jelena win in order for her not to make it to qualies?

So basically now us Jelena fans have to root against her just so she can make the AO in time :smash: This is ridiculous :o

danieln1
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Maybe with the qualifying she will gets more matches under her belt and face a weak player in the main draw, i hope so...

Tennace
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Maybe with the qualifying she will gets more matches under her belt and face a weak player in the main draw, i hope so...

True, or maybe she might not even be able to play qualifying :weirdo:

I think it would be better for her to play qualies, but I think its not safe to just throw her in qualies at this point.

I agree with you completely, but its just annoying that she is either going to have to lose in Hobart early to play qualifying, or not play the AO and do well in Hobart.

Uranium
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:28 PM
THIS IS CRAP, JELENA QUALIFIED, JARKA DIDN'T
but there are positives-more ranking pts and confidence
but can u imagine if she doesn't qualify :fiery:
she deserved WC based on this week.

Princeza
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Biatches :(

Tennace
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
So if Jelena beats Muller, does she miss AOQ, or does she miss it if she wins 2 matches?

Cankarlo
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Organizators are stupid!! They didn't even wait her loosing in Hobart. She has to withdraw from tournament now. I think there are so many players which awarded to WC are really not deserving it more then Jelena. Can they beat no 65 in the world? I am so curious to know it. She will be tired even if she can pass the qualifications in AO! Jelena is the crowd favourite as well in Australia. Don't they think it ??

Ballbasher
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
If Jelena reaches Quarters she can't play Quallies:o

tucker1989
The one who really doesn't deserve a WC is Sophie Ferguson, not Jarmila

Ballbasher
So if Jelena beats Muller, does she miss AOQ, or does she miss it if she wins 2 matches?Two matches at least as it starts Thursday I think

sammy01
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM
i think its a good thing for her i can see her beating muller but thats it in hobart. she can then play the qualies for the oz open and it will be good for her to play some people around the 100-150 mark. if she qualifies for the open and draws a huge name and loses, it wont be a waste of time as she will have gained match play in qualies and some extra points. im for her not getting the wildcard and playing the qualies, it will be good for her.

alwayshingis
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM
So if Jelena beats Muller, does she miss AOQ, or does she miss it if she wins 2 matches?

If she beats Muller today, and loses to Radwanska (probably) on Tuesday, she can still make it back for the Wednesday Q start. Hopefully.

Philip
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
hmmm. well i think this will be better over all, its match play that is important right now, not just neccessarily the ranking points.

... but i hope jelena still makes the AO sign in for Quallies... it would be a shame for her to miss out. :scared:

IMPOSSIBLE
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Tennis Australia are so stupid sometimes

Tennace
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Okay so qualies start Wednesday?

If Jelena were to beat Muller, will they be forced to schedule her next match for Tuesday, since if its Wednesday, she misses qualies? This is so confusing, I have a feeling she will ened up playing matches 7 or 8 days in a row if she makes AO qualies.

IMPOSSIBLE
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:36 PM
If Jelena beats Muller she will probably play Radwanska, Radwanska will probaly win. so I think she can still make qualifying :confused:

alwayshingis
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Okay so qualies start Wednesday?

If Jelena were to beat Muller, will they be forced to schedule her next match for Tuesday, since if its Wednesday, she misses qualies? This is so confusing, I have a feeling she will ened up playing matches 7 or 8 days in a row if she makes AO qualies.

The final of this tournament is Friday, so all players play every day while they are still in the event.

Jogi
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM
imagine she beats Muller today, then loses to Radwanska on tuesday and AUS-Open qualy starts on wednesday, she must be completely exhausted with now already 3 matches played in 3 days :o

Tennace
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM
The final of this tournament is Friday, so all players play every day while they are still in the event.

Oh i see

So 1st round Monday, 2nd round Tuesday, QF Wednesday, SF Thursday, and Final Friday. Okay thats makes me feel a little better :lol:

Tennace
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM
imagine she beats Muller today, then loses to Radwanska on tuesday and AUS-Open qualy starts on wednesday, she must be completely exhausted with now already 3 matches played in 3 days :o

She would have Hobart qualies Friday, Saturday, Sunday, R1 Monday, R2 Tuesday, then AO qualifying Wednesday on :eek: That would be very tiring.

Petkorazzi
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:41 PM
WTAAO Qualies Start Thursday, men start wedensday ... so even if she playes her match Wednesday Morning, she can still fly over to Melbourne for the sign-in (If needed).

Oh, and, However :help: Muller is, maybe this discussion is non-sense. 1st let her win her R1 and then talk bout her reaching or not when it will really be risky.

Cankarlo
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I think jelena can be more succesful now' Cause she has nothing to lose now. If she made a plan to play in AOQ then she is playing only for match play in Hobart!!! So she can beat Muller and who knows then??? I even prefer her to play Radwnaska as well if she wins against Muller firstly of caurse. Then she has to withdraw :(

St.Sebastian
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM
She would have to make it to Semis in order to miss AO qualies.
Even if she gets past Muller and Radwanska/Pennetta, she can still play in Melbourne if she lost in the quarters in Hobart.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I cant see her going far enough in Sydney to have to pull out of the qualies-she can beat Muller (who cant :tape: ) but the next round would be tough

still-I think they should have given Dokic the WC over Gajdosova, Dokic has been an Aussie longer :lol: and she's more popular
plus she had a better career than Gajdosova is ever going to have

Uranium
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I cant see her going far enough in Sydney to have to pull out of the qualies-she can beat Muller (who cant :tape: ) but the next round would be tough

still-I think they should have given Dokic the WC over Gajdosova, Dokic has been an Aussie longer :lol: and she's more popular
plus she had a better career than Gajdosova is ever going to have

Dokics playing Hobart:lol:

Just Do It
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM
omg this is outrageous !!! Jelena defeated 3 good players this week, while Gajdosova lost to Jill Craybas :o

And Gajdosova is able to play qualis while Dokic will ahve to retire in Hobar if she wins 2 matches :o

Just Do It
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
If Jelena beats Muller she will probably play Radwanska, Radwanska will probaly win. so I think she can still make qualifying :confused:

Yes, but playing on Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Monday and then rushing back to Melbourne to play on Thursday is INSANE ! While Gajdosova is already in Melbourne, since she failed to qualify :shrug:

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM
i dont know. Jelena said she would rather play in qualifying because she needs to become more match tough anyways so let her play qualifying and chill.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:10 PM
players dont need to sign in at the venue any more, she could do it at Hobart.

"Players will not be required to sign-in for Singles Qualifying. Players on the qualifying acceptance list will be
included in the draw automatically, provided that they have been eliminated from the singles and doubles events at
the previous week’s tournament prior to 4:00pm on the day before the qualifying event is scheduled to begin. An
Alternate sign-in will close 30 minutes before the first scheduled match on Thursday January 10 at Tournament
Control. To be eligible players must have at least one WTA Tour ranking point in singles or doubles.
Players must comply with the “One tournament per week” rule published by the Grand Slams"

Wiggly
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:15 PM
That's retarded. Jelena def. two Top 100 players.

The best scenario is she beats Muller, withdrew from Hobart, goes on to qualify and trash a WC in the first round. :devil:

Slumpsova
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:17 PM

She would have Hobart qualies Friday, Saturday, Sunday, R1 Monday, R2 Tuesday, then AO qualifying Wednesday on :eek: That would be very tiring.
that's too much :o
i would give up Hobart if i were her or i'm gonna end up lose in Q.1 :help:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM
That's retarded. Jelena def. two Top 100 players.

The best scenario is she beats Muller, withdrew from Hobart, goes on to qualify and trash a WC in the first round. :devil:

you arent allowed to withdraw in a slam week (well you can but they wont put you into Q draw)

Slumpsova
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM
you arent allowed to withdraw in a slam week (well you can but they wont put you into Q draw)
so what?
she needs to withdraw before playing 1R match?

St.Sebastian
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:28 PM
People, stop overreacting.
The last two matches she played were easy 2 sets wins. If she beats Muller today, she will probably lose to Radwanska/Pennetta in str8 sets.
She will have two days to recover before AO qualies. But let her beat Muller first.
Qualies are definitely better for her, she could draw a top-50 player in RD1 and lose, at least she has a chance to play lower ranked players and get a lot of ranking points in qualies.

In The Zone
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM
She'll play her 2R match on Tuesday. If she were smart, she'd try a little but any sign of losing -- she'd give in.

Jelena will be fine! She'll be at the Melbourne qualies. :)

Tennace
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:35 PM
So she can actually play R1 Monday, R2 Tuesday, QF Wednesday, and SF Thursday if she loses before 4 PM then go to Melbourne to play qualies? This would be if she won her 1st, 2nd and QF matches? If this is possible, then Jelena should be fine to make the qualies.

Monica_Rules
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Its a shame but playing quallies at the Aus Open is her best option. She can pick up a lot of points against 'easier' opponents and if she manages to qualify then she will be on top of the world and mayeb can keep going.

Its after this little Aussie stretch finishes that the real work starts when she has to play challengers and knuckle down and get back to where she was.

Babolatpro880
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:42 PM

So basically, we might see Jelena (TANK) in Hobart 2r.

It just sucks that she almost has to hope to lose if she wants to play the Australian Open.

Mikey B
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:16 PM
hope she can make it... if she's winning in hobart i think she should withdraw to make the qualies... more matches will only benefit her return in the long run...

Mikey B
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:18 PM
just saw all the 'not allowed to withdraw before a slam' posts! my mistake for ^^

just withdraw now!

Expat
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:32 PM
players dont need to sign in at the venue any more, she could do it at Hobart.

"Players will not be required to sign-in for Singles Qualifying. Players on the qualifying acceptance list will be
included in the draw automatically, provided that they have been eliminated from the singles and doubles events at
the previous week’s tournament prior to 4:00pm on the day before the qualifying event is scheduled to begin. An
Alternate sign-in will close 30 minutes before the first scheduled match on Thursday January 10 at Tournament
Control. To be eligible players must have at least one WTA Tour ranking point in singles or doubles.
Players must comply with the “One tournament per week” rule published by the Grand Slams"

if i am reading correct this means she either tanks or does not play AO

Babolatpro880
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM
if i am reading correct this means she either tanks or does not play AO

She could also genuinely lose.

But yes, those three things are the only scenarios for this situation.

Cat's Pajamas
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Beating Muller and withdrawing in the 2R would've been her best option, but since that's supposedly not allowed :rolleyes: I hope she just tanks her 2R :o Then she can have a little bit of rest going into qualies.

This is ridiculous! :mad:

Tennace
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:39 PM
As much as qualies would be her best option in the long run, currently she needed the MD WC since she is going to be so tired even if she does qualify for the MD. Im just hoping this doesnt lead to an injury or something.

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I was all for Jelena playing Melbourne quallies, but now that she's done unexpectedly well in Hobart, she most certainly should have been awarded the last MD WC over Gajdosova. :weirdo: Even if Jelena can make it out of Hobart on time to play AO quallies, she'll be exhausted.

This is not fair. I just hope everything works out.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Quite unlikely Jelena will make it to the quarters so she should be fine

OZTENNIS
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Qualifying will be starting on Thursday, so I don't think Jelena will still be in Hobart by then

.Andrew.
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Great for Jarka. :rocker:
But terrible for Jelena. :sobbing:
I dont know if I want her to keep on going in Hobart or play in the AO qualies :(

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
y cant u withdraw in a slam week? ive never heard that before :confused:

Williamsser
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:17 PM
That is awful!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:26 PM
It's an upsetting decision, but I also completely understand where TA is coming from. Jarmila is the highest ranked Aussie player outside of the main draw cutoff, she beat Sugiyama, and she took a set off Safina. Even though Jelena had some very good wins in Hobart qualifying, the bottom line is that she doesn't have a ranking and this was her first tournament back. You can't kick a player to the curb when they've fighting on tour all year and have a respectable ranking just because Jelena won a couple of matches. Besides, Jelena said she'd rather play qualifying anyway and we have to look at this realistically; given the form she was in and all she's gone through, if she can't make it to the AO qualifying because she reached the quarterfinals of Hobart, that's a really nice problem to have. It's certainly more than almost everyone here expected from Jelena.

Wiggly
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM
They shounl'd had given all the WC that fast.
I mean, a bunch of girls who peaked at #150.

rrfnpump
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:44 PM
(1) Lets see if Jelena can really make it that far in Hobart
(2) Wouldnt Jelena be the last one wanting to get a WC as she wanted to start from the very beginning
(3) Lets not forget Jelena hardly won matches at 10ks some months ago, this Hobart tournament could as well be a fluke
(4) Jarmila beat Sugiyama and took a set of Dinara... that is much better than what Jelena achieved in Hobart
(5) Its not the end of the world, guys. :rolleyes:

Jeff
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I can see why Jelena didn't receive a wildcard. I'm sure the others who received a wildcard will do amazingly well :lol:

Dexter
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Some people think like she's gonna go all the way in Hobart and will miss the qualies. She has the shot against Muller, but I can't see her past the 2nd round.

I'm glad Jarka got the WC over Jelena. :yeah:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Meh, maybe it isn't such a big deal. I'm just iffy about the fact that she can't win more than 2 rounds without it becoming a problem. Not that I think she'll go THAT far, but I just don't want it to affect her fighting spirit in any match.

Again, I just hope everything works out.

drake3781
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM
What if she can do really well at Hobart, like a SF or F? And has to miss AO where she would not go so far. Is that so bad???

Hobart entry/draw/seeds is not that tough... that tournament looks open for somebody to make a surprise showing... could be Dokic as well as a few others.

Ben.
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Well if anything Jarka deserves the WC fair & square :yeah: however Jelena should of gotten the WC over Ferguson if more than anything (has better chances of winning a match than Ferguson any day). If Jelena posts a really good result in Hobart & doesn't make the qualies I'll still be happy & that is start really in her comeback.

Even though I'm a bit disappointed, what she's doing right now is more than what I would of expected from before.

Привет
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Jarmila and Jelena both deserve a WC. Oh well, hopefully Jelena will be able to make it to Melbourne feeling fit and ready to qualify for the AO. :D

switz
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM
this could really blow up in Tennis Australia's face. Dokic is a huge draw card in Australia and i would suggest nobody who doesn't already post here would even know who Gajdosova is (even though she is better than a lot of players who already got wildcards).

They must have promised Jarmila a wildcard if she switched. she didn't even play the wildcard playoff.

Havok
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:50 PM
This will only be a problem if she wins more than 2 matches at Hobart. However, maybe her now knowing she isn't getting a main draw WC for the Aussie Open won't allow her to fully focus on doing something big at Hobart in fear of missing out on trying to Qualify for the Aussie Open when they grant her a WC into the qualies event. Hopefuly she wins a round and then loses in 2r at Hobart so she has enough time to get down there and have a little break between the two events so she has enough fuel in the tank to continue her climb. Honestly, qualifying would do her much better than main draw. She just went through qualifying for Hobart and beat two top 100 players so she knows what it takes to qualify for a main draw in recent memory.:)

Tennace
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Technically would Jelena be able to win her first 2 matches then lose the QF before 4 PM and still play AO Qualies?

Ben.
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM
This will only be a problem if she wins more than 2 matches at Hobart. However, maybe her now knowing she isn't getting a main draw WC for the Aussie Open won't allow her to fully focus on doing something big at Hobart in fear of missing out on trying to Qualify for the Aussie Open when they grant her a WC into the qualies event. Hopefuly she wins a round and then loses in 2r at Hobart so she has enough time to get down there and have a little break between the two events so she has enough fuel in the tank to continue her climb. Honestly, qualifying would do her much better than main draw. She just went through qualifying for Hobart and beat two top 100 players so she knows what it takes to qualify for a main draw in recent memory.:)

I have to agree with you. I mean if she comes through AO qualies & wins a match in the MD it will gives loads more confidence & prove to a lot players that she is back and ready to give the Top 100 a good shake.

Plus she'll really leave TA choking on their dust :lol:

~Eclipsed~
Jan 7th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Personally, As much as i would like to see Jelena play in AO, i would much rather her focus on doing well in Hobart, than worrying about making it to AO qualifying on time.

Either way, I wish Jelena the best and hope she is successful in which ever route she has to take.:)

Boomguy
Jan 7th, 2008, 03:50 AM
If she beats Muller which is possibly gonna happen now since shes leading in the final set, i don't really see her beating Penetta so i think she will make it in time

Boomguy
Jan 7th, 2008, 03:50 AM
TA makes horrible decisions on there WC

Harvs
Jan 7th, 2008, 03:51 AM
im happy with this:)

Barrie_Dude
Jan 7th, 2008, 03:51 AM
vERY hAPPY ABOUT jELENA'S WC!