PDA

View Full Version : Venus Vs Sharapova: Hong Kong Final Highlights

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/bf/fullj.f47fc78878ec95522428aba3a70ec0a7/f47fc78878ec95522428aba3a70ec0a7-getty-tennis-hkg.jpg
I have to tell ya, Venus is looking REALLY GOOD! Sharapova looks pretty sharp too. I like the "Venus" song they played after Venus won...and the dancing was awesome!:lol:
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/9a/fullj.d718f0e4f34e016b25dbab117c2669ad/d718f0e4f34e016b25dbab117c2669ad-getty-tennis-hkg.jpg

Sharapova has become a very gracious and mature speaker win or lose. I remember earlier in her career how annoying she would be when she would speak at an event. She is so comfortable now. Is Hong Kong really an exhibition? These girls look like they were playing as thou they were in a Grand Slam!

Vee's Forehand looks really good! Look out Justine Henin!:smash:
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080105/capt.99d330b8da8e4ab3b395b0707db65658.hong_kong_te nnis_xvy131.jpg

For video highlights click here:http://youtube.com/watch?v=G0Da97XaaZY

Williams Rulez
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM
thank u!!

Dunlop1
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I loved Venus's speech. So classy :hearts:

Infiniti2001
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Is it me, or is Venus hitting really hard or like she did in 2000-2001? It's been a while since I've seen her killing the ball like this :eek:

xr6turbo
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Is it me, or is Venus hitting really hard or like she did in 2000-2001? It's been a while since I've seen her killing the ball like this :eek:
I agree.. She was really belting the ball :eek:

doni1212
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Get em Vee!!! :armed:

Dodoboy.
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Youtube Yay

Infiniti2001
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I agree.. She was really belting the ball :eek:

and good timing too :lol:

Direwolf
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:41 PM
there was this one part..
i think it was 2-5 Maria 2nd set..
one guy shouted
"come on Maria, we dont want to go home early"
:lol::lol:

one thing i noticed from Vee
was the way she was defending her service game..
it really seems like she doesnt wanna be broken...

mdterp01
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Wow...Venus looked really good!!

Wolverines08
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Yeah i stopped the video and didn't watch the ball...i just looked at MAria and Venus footing to see who was stading where...Maris is way behind the baseline. Venus is destroying the ball

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Venus Is just lookin to pound the ball now. She's playing Major-winning tennis.

PerfectForm
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I was at the tournament. It was a great 4 days!! will be doing a short report soon with a match by match comment for all matches :)

Slutiana
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Im speechless. She's hitting the ball even harder yet being more patient. How does that work? :scratch: :headache:

vwfan
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I was at the tournament. It was a great 4 days!! will be doing a short report soon with a match by match comment for all matches :)great. can't wait!

anyone have dementieva vs. venus?

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM
omg that forehand :unsure:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
You gotta be kidding me.

Hong Kong is not played on Plexicushion or Rebound Ace.

Some of you are applauding a match played on by two players who don't have the upper shoulder strength to deal with the high balls from rebound ace, clay, or plexicushion.

It's like Lindsay Davenport expecting to win Roland Garros by playing one tournament on green clay.

It's absolutely absurd.

bus09
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM
New racquet seems to suit her nicely!

Infiniti2001
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM
You gotta be kidding me.

Some of you are applauding a match played on by two players who don't have the upper shoulder strength to deal with the high balls from rebound ace, clay, or plexicushion.

It's like Lindsay Davenport expecting to win Roland Garros by playing one tournament on green clay.

It's absolutely absurd.

Who spit in your beer Mr knowitall? :rolleyes:

vwfan
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
You gotta be kidding me.

It's absolutely absurd.go away rain!!!!!! our parade is continuing. :lol:

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:14 PM
You gotta be kidding me.

It's absolutely absurd.
Are You Seriously smoking something? I guess your ears were closed when it was announced MONTHS ago that The Australian Open would be changing the surface from Rebound Ace to more of a hard-court surface. And another note: Venus AND Sharapova has been to the finals of the Australian Open. If Serena wasn't playing them, they would have won. So your comparison to Lindsay at the French is the only thing that's absolutely absurd.

mdterp01
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Just ignore...some people have nothing better to do than bitch and moan and think they are always right.

Nemo_Kool
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:17 PM
go venus go venus go venus lol 1 week to goooo

PerfectForm
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Venus was on fire. Her forehand was blazing & her strokes were really powerful. When she served aces, it was so fast that the naked eye could hardly see it till it bounced off the court. Its like a beam of laser !

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Who spit in your beer Mr knowitall? :rolleyes:

Noone had to spit in my beer for me to tell the difference from the surfaces.
If you watched Perth and Hing Kong you can clearly tell the difference.

Hong Kong is played on a surface similar to plexipave.
The Australian Open is played on plexicushion.

Plexipave plays fast compared to plexicushion.
There is less bite on the ball from plexicushion.

It is imperative that these players get a feel of this surface because the footwork has to be on point even more than on rebound ace.
They won't have to worry about the injuries as much from the surface but injuries from the bite the ball takes from the spins.

You think Serena is just in Melbourne for her health?
No. She's played on this surface for a week and still doesn't feel 100% comfortable on it yet.

Right now. Justine and Serena have the upper hand and when/if Sharapova and Venus play them, you will see the difference in the preparation.

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:26 PM
It's amazing to know that Venus is still making new fans, even now at 27 while her career is winding down. AWESOME!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:28 PM
You gotta be kidding me.

It's absolutely absurd.

Hmmmmmm, so that would explain Maria's last 3 appearances at the AO...two SF's and a Final :weirdo:

starin
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I was at the tournament. It was a great 4 days!! will be doing a short report soon with a match by match comment for all matches :)

You gotta be kidding me.

It's absolutely absurd.

:bounce: Thanks. I love reports from people who attended the tournament live.

And I agree it's just an exhibition but both ladies have been to the finals of the AO so I think they can handle the high balls from rebound ace.

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM

It is imperative that these players get a feel of this surface because the footwork has to be on point even more than on rebound ace.
They won't have to worry about the injuries as much from the surface but injuries from the bite the ball takes from the spins.

No. She's played on this surface for a week and still doesn't feel 100% comfortable on it yet.

Right now. Justine and Serena have the upper hand and when/if Sharapova and Venus play them, you will see the difference in the preparation.

Dude, I appaud your knowledge(as weird as it is that you know all of that "valuable info.), but we are talking about VENUS WILLIAMS! Venus is definitely going to practice on the new surface, if she isn't already. I'm definitely not worried. She;s winning her first Aussie Open this year, and No surface is gonna stop destiny.

Infiniti2001
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Thanks Mr knowitall :worship: We all know how knowledgeable you are as far as tennis and every other subject on the planet , but sometimes you really need to keep all that knowledge to yourself. This is a thread about the Hong Kong exhibition:lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hmmmmmm, so that would explain Maria's last 3 appearances at the AO...two SF's and a Final :weirdo:

I don't think you understand the difference in this surface.
This is not rebound ace.
Rebound Ace doesn't have the bite of plexicushion.

So it was ok to play on plexipave-esque surface to get a rhythm going.
That's why this exhibition worked so well.

That's changed now.
This plexicushion surface will change by the second week.
Once Melbourne gets some wear and tear you won't have that bite.

But for the qualies and the first week, there's going to be some balls that are expected to be here but you're hitting them a few inches or so from where you thought it would be.
That will add up after a while especially if you're playing a dangerous player.

Serena and Justine are taking the conservative approach to this preparation.
They would rather get a feel of the surface and then use their all court and all surface games to deal with the wear and tear and the courts getting a bit faster by the second week.

Venus and Sharapova are taking the assuming approach.
They're assuming that they will make the second week, that the rhythm they got from playing will come in handy.
You can't assume on a new surface though especially Sharapova who just lost in the 3rd round at a slam.
I'm wondering more on her tactics considering she has tons of points to defend than Venus who has no points to defend.
Venus will be likely in the top 5 after this slam and Sharapova likely could be out of the top 6.

Lucemferre
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Venus :hearts::hearts::hearts:

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:51 PM
This is not rebound ace.

That's changed now.

But for the qualies and the first week, there's going to be some balls that are expected to be here but you're hitting them a few inches or so from where you thought it would be.

They would rather get a feel of the surface and then use their all court and all surface games to deal with the wear and tear and the courts getting a bit faster by the second week.

They're assuming that they will make the second week, that the rhythm they got from playing will come in handy.
You can't assume on a new surface though especially Sharapova who just lost in the 3rd round at a slam.
I'm wondering more on her tactics considering she has tons of points to defend than Venus who has no points to defend.
Venus will be likely in the top 5 after this slam and Sharapova likely could be out of the top 6.

:scratch::rolleyes::rolleyes:Well, I hate to say it, but I agree with you totally.:worship:

I was totally against you at first, but you've redeemed yourself and your knowledge is impecable.:hatoff:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:55 PM
This is a thread about the Hong Kong exhibition:lol:

Far be it from me to think there's a link between the exhibition and the Australian Open. :rolleyes:

It's not my fault that the majority of the people who are saying nasty remarks to me happen to be Venus' fans. When you would think they would know she has nothing to lose at this slam.
I guess we can consider that an insecurity issue. Typical.
Sometimes you wonder who are the real fans here.

I would like to know what was Sharapova's thinking in this though.
And I wish the Venus' fans would stop being a pain in the ass, sometimes it seems it's like it's the only thing some of yall know how to do.
Defend her when it's obvious she needs it's, not when she doesn't. DUH

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:07 PM
:scratch::rolleyes::rolleyes:Well, I hate to say it, but I agree with you totally.:worship:

Well it's nice that you've had a change of heart.
Others won't though, they're too stubborn.
Can't teach an old dawg, new tricks basically.

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Well it's nice that you've had a change of heart.
Others won't though, they're too stubborn.
Can't teach an old dawg, new tricks basically.

Yea, sometimes it's hard for anyone to take the time and really read what the poster is saying. I apologize about earlier.

franny
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Omg, is that a speech Venus is holding? LOL!! She like wrote down notes for her speech. It's like she knew she would win. I love this girl, most of the time, lol.

sweetpeas
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Wow...Venus looked really good!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

debopero
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:23 PM
well I must be jaded because it seemed like Venus was in an anemia spell. :shrug:

Paneru
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM
:lol:

Not surprised at all that Venus still gets
slighted even when her strokes and serve
are looking nice in prep for the Open.

Some people won't give her
credit until she makes them
east crow.

Oh well, Go Venus! :cool:

tenn_ace
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:42 PM
was this match as one sided as the highlights are? was Venus as dominant in this match? :eek:

Janet
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for given the youtube link on this match it was really nice venus was really socketing it to Maria and I love her speech very classy person she is and I like what maria said........that is only about 2 girls on the wta tour can come to a tourament the day before they play and win the whole thing, Im sure the other person will be Serena.......will for sure can not wait unil the AO 2008

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Wannabeknowitall...you're the one taking the assuming approach, not Venus or Maria. I'm sure both of them will be in Melbourne with alot of time to practice and get adjusted to the surface. You're assuming that they wouldn't get enough practice on it, and IMO they will.

Now as to the thread...fucking wow :hearts: :worship: :hearts:. Venus was smoking that ball :eek:. Keep up the good form my Queen and please lordhamercy stay healthy :hearts:. Love you Queen Vee :worship:

Tennisstar86
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
was this match as one sided as the highlights are? was Venus as dominant in this match? :eek:

Im sure it was.. Sharapova was standing behind the baseline in the highlight points and that doesnt generally change from point to point.... and venus was inside the baseline... Sharapova cant play defense so that was clearly the wrong choice/ Venus didnt give her a choice....

In The Zone
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:28 PM
:lol:

Not surprised at all that Venus still gets
slighted even when her strokes and serve
are looking nice in prep for the Open.

Some people won't give her
credit until she makes them
east crow.

Oh well, Go Venus! :cool:

What will they say when she wins the Aussie title? :hearts: :inlove:

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Wannabeknowitall...you're the one taking the assuming approach, not Venus or Maria. I'm sure both of them will be in Melbourne with alot of time to practice and get adjusted to the surface. You're assuming that they wouldn't get enough practice on it, and IMO they will.

Now as to the thread...fucking wow :hearts: :worship: :hearts:. Venus was smoking that ball :eek:. Keep up the good form my Queen and please lordhamercy stay healthy :hearts:. Love you Queen Vee :worship:

Shuji, He means well, back off a little and try to undertsand what he is saying. obviously he thinks that Venus will do well at the Aussie Open if he thinks that she will be in the top 5 after the tournament.

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Shuji, He means well, back off a little and try to undertsand what he is saying. obviously he thinks that Venus will do well at the Aussie Open if he thinks that she will be in the top 5 after the tournament.

:drool:

darrinbaker00
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:44 PM
New racquet seems to suit her nicely!
Venus is using the same sticks she used last year, my friend. They just have a fresh coat of paint on them.

jdyshrky
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Hello! This is addressed to Wannabeknowitall primarily and I apologize for digressing further from the main topic but it's an interesting point.

I think we understand what you're trying to say. Surfaces are an important aspect of tennis but since you clearly understand tennis and modern players, you'll appreciate that surface today means a lot less than it did say twenty years ago. I admit, certain players prevail more on certain surfaces and others find it much harder but I'm from the school of thinking that in today's game it's almost irrelevant which surface a match is played upon. Maria did pretty well at this year's French for someone who describes herself as an elephant on ice on clay. I'm not saying that all surfaces are the same, I'm simply saying that today pretty much everyone has a very similar style of play which pretty much balances out on each surface.

For players of the calibre of Venus Williams, Justine Henin or Maria Sharapova when they step on court the surface matters not. Certain surfaces will of course suit the intricacies of their game more than others. These Champions adapt very quickly because they have to. Serena at the AO last year is a prime example.

More specifically the change from HongKong and Melbourne will not be as dramatic as say clay to grass. The change may even be an advantage. If you're hitting the ball well on a fast fast-court the extra time on a slower court is sometimes beneficial, well, it is to my game anyways, a little frustrating I'll admit as you're missing that extra bite you've mentioned but if you're patient.

Ooh, lastly, com'on this is Venus Williams we're talking about, playing Maria Sharapova and being able to hit madly clean winners on quite a lot of points. Frankly this sort of confident Venus doesn't come around very often these days and when it does we are entitled to get excited. lol.

Oh and Wannabeknowitall, I actually like what you say. I see your avatar and what exactly do I not have to kiss? lol

venus_rulez
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Far be it from me to think there's a link between the exhibition and the Australian Open. :rolleyes:

It's not my fault that the majority of the people who are saying nasty remarks to me happen to be Venus' fans. When you would think they would know she has nothing to lose at this slam.
I guess we can consider that an insecurity issue. Typical.
Sometimes you wonder who are the real fans here.

I would like to know what was Sharapova's thinking in this though.
And I wish the Venus' fans would stop being a pain in the ass, sometimes it seems it's like it's the only thing some of yall know how to do.
Defend her when it's obvious she needs it's, not when she doesn't. DUH

It's all in the approach my friend. You can't come into a thread with a "let me school you attitude" where the majority of posters have a differing opinion than you and then wonder why people misread or disagree with your opinion. You're probably right in what you wrote, but what's the point in being right if you can't get anyone to see your opinion because you acted like an ass while giving it?

supergrunt
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Wnnbeknwitall just likes to play the devil's advocate. :awww:

darrinbaker00
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:23 AM
It's amazing to know that Venus is still making new fans, even now at 27 while her career is winding down. AWESOME!
You're joking, right? Venus' career is far from "winding down," my friend. In fact, I will go so far as to say that we still haven't seen Venus' best tennis. She's just coming into her physical peak, and when you combine that with 13 years of professional experience, you have a VERY dangerous player. Someone WILL win the Golden Slam in 2008, and that someone is Venus Ebony Starr Williams.

serenus_2k8
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:34 AM
You're joking, right? Venus' career is far from "winding down," my friend. In fact, I will go so far as to say that we still haven't seen Venus' best tennis. She's just coming into her physical peak, and when you combine that with 13 years of professional experience, you have a VERY dangerous player. Someone WILL win the Golden Slam in 2008, and that someone is Venus Ebony Starr Williams.

:lol: :worship:

jrollaneres25
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Venus is using the same sticks she used last year, my friend. They just have a fresh coat of paint on them.

But how do you know this?

jrollaneres25
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:41 AM
It's all in the approach my friend. You can't come into a thread with a "let me school you attitude" where the majority of posters have a differing opinion than you and then wonder why people misread or disagree with your opinion. You're probably right in what you wrote, but what's the point in being right if you can't get anyone to see your opinion because you acted like an ass while giving it?

Okay, at first he or she did come off like an ass, but he or she definitely has redemption. So just read all the posts and you'll see that he or she means no harm.

jrollaneres25
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:44 AM

Dude, I agree with you %100 percent, but she is 27, and she won't be playing in her 30's...maybe a couple at the most. But both sister's careers are winding down, not saying that they still won't play great tennis, even their best at the end of their careers, but we don't have much with them left, so enjoy them now.

The Daviator
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:50 AM
When you see those highlights, you wonder how Sharapova could possibly hurt an in-form Venus :shrug: Just devastating :worship:

frontier
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Dude, I agree with you %100 percent, but she is 27, and she won't be playing in her 30's...maybe a couple at the most. But both sister's careers are winding down, not saying that they still won't play great tennis, even their best at the end of their careers, but we don't have much with them left, so enjoy them now.We have been hearing about Venus and Serena retiring for years,Venus said she will play well into her thirties.The following players careers are winding down.Momo-28.justine-25.serena-26,bammer-28,petrova-26,dechy-29,patty-29,molik-26,lindsay-31,schiavone-28,garbin-30, and many more.I think in this day and age players can afford to be mothers and continue playing.Lindsay is still winning after having a baby.who would have thought that Kim would be retired by the age of 23yrs,theres no formula.I think that they will last longer because they play sparingly .

supergrunt
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I think Venus knows that she is 27, and that's why she is trying to win slams now more than ever.

serenus_2k8
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:32 AM
When you see those highlights, you wonder how Sharapova could possibly hurt an in-form Venus :shrug: Just devastating :worship:

Hehe I agree. I guess the answer is.. she cant! :kiss:

Yonexforever
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:48 AM

Well said!
:worship:

jrollaneres25
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:49 AM
We have been hearing about Venus and Serena retiring for years,Venus said she will play well into her thirties.The following players careers are winding down.Momo-28.justine-25.serena-26,bammer-28,petrova-26,dechy-29,patty-29,molik-26,lindsay-31,schiavone-28,garbin-30, and many more.I think in this day and age players can afford to be mothers and continue playing.Lindsay is still winning after having a baby.who would have thought that Kim would be retired by the age of 23yrs,theres no formula.I think that they will last longer because they play sparingly .

Dude, were did Venus say that she would be playing well into her thirties? Can we get a link? Still, all in all, tennis is not gonna last forever and Venus has been playing for over 10 years now. So I think it is safe to say that her career is in the winding down stage. I hope she does play well into her thirties, but reality is, she is 27(3 yrs from 30) and one good injury could end her career. So I'm happy it's in the winding down stage because she now knows and realizes that she has to go for the slams she doesn't have because she's not as young anymore.

jrollaneres25
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I think Venus knows that she is 27, and that's why she is trying to win slams now more than ever.

EXACTLY!;)

franny
Jan 7th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Hehe I agree. I guess the answer is.. she cant! :kiss:

Not many can, lol. Venus in form = ONLY 2 players who can compete with her. Henin and Serena. That is Venus and Serena's gift, they are so naturally athletic and strong that its scary. It takes someone with the game of Henin to compete with them at their best. Thankfully for the rest of the tour, they aren't at their best for very long, and get injured a lot and will probably continue to do so until they retire. (fingers cross it does not happen anytime soon).

supergrunt
Jan 7th, 2008, 02:21 AM
when did Henin beat Serena or Venus at their best?

Tennisstar86
Jan 7th, 2008, 02:29 AM

I dream of this...lol *keeps fingers crossed*
I do think of all the players shes got the best shot.....since lets face it shes unbeatable on grass at her best whereas all henin and say serena have to do is run into someone playing well on clay/ reboundace(which is no longer there)

But how do you know this?

Its pretty much known by anyone in racquet retail that deals with pros that they paint their racquet the color of whatever new brand of racquet their sponsers are trying to sell..... she could be on to a new racquet but not likely....

Infiniti2001
Jan 7th, 2008, 02:30 AM

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

G1Player2
Jan 7th, 2008, 02:37 AM
:worship::worship::worship::worship:

:lol: Your avatar. I really thought that was on my monitor.

jrollaneres25
Jan 7th, 2008, 03:52 AM
So their rackets are painted? I find that hard to believe

Tennisstar86
Jan 7th, 2008, 04:06 AM
So their rackets are painted? I find that hard to believe

YES....lol you really think the players switch racquets every year when they're trying to stay competitive each year just because their sponsers want to sell a new racquet? NO, or course not they stay with what they're confortable with.....

Davenport stated on her comback that she was trying some new racquest out, but loves her old one, but she'll keep trying them out cause shes sure technically has change over the years... meaning she prolly still usin the same one she used in 2000....

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 7th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Surfaces are an important aspect of tennis but since you clearly understand tennis and modern players, you'll appreciate that surface today means a lot less than it did say twenty years ago.

Even 20 years ago the best players managed to do well on all surfaces. Chris Evert was not known as a natural grass court player, yet she made the Wimbledon final 10 times. Martina Navratilova once said it was because Chris has great footwork, which is what one most needed on grass. Martina was not a clay courter per se, but she did her thing at the French. Even Billie Jean has a FO plate as I recall.

But, slower surfaces do benefit certain players. I'm thinking that that slower surfaces this year at the AO are definitely going to help Henin and Shrieky. Serena and Venus can work any surface, but I love them more on faster surfaces.

I guess my point is, that this has always been true -- past as well as present.

franny
Jan 7th, 2008, 04:32 AM

Just like when did Serena or Venus beat Justine when she was at HER best. Never, because it is too rare for two players to be playing their best at the same time. But to me, the Venus-Justine match at this year's U.S. Open was as close as you're gonna get. The point was "compete," and I believe based on games and the way Justine plays that she can at the very least compete with Venus and Serena even when they are at their best. I like how even a compliment to Venus can be argued by you, lol.

Slutiana
Jan 7th, 2008, 10:44 AM

AMEN. That's exactly what was going through my head when he said that.

Dude, I agree with you %100 percent, but she is 27, and she won't be playing in her 30's...maybe a couple at the most. But both sister's careers are winding down, not saying that they still won't play great tennis, even their best at the end of their careers, but we don't have much with them left, so enjoy them now.
Until a player mentions 'retirement' their careers are not 'winding down'. Venus seems to be on the up.. Close to her physical peak.Showing us that it's not just a two horse race anymore. The only thing she's ever said about her future is that she plans to be at London 2012. She's far from finished. :)

Matt01
Jan 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM
:lol: This is really great thread, especially because arrogant Mr. Know-it-all is getting some nice attacks from the over-sensitive Veetards :lol:

Thanks for the laugh! :rolls:

serenus_2k8
Jan 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
:lol: This is really great thread, especially because arrogant Mr. Know-it-all is getting some nice attacks from the over-sensitive Veetards :lol:

What a useless shit stirring post... :rolleyes:

Volcana
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:29 PM
when did Henin beat Serena or Venus at their best?That question is meaningless. With today's rackets, it's almost impossible for BOTH players to play their best. UNless the match was someting like Peer vs Chakvetadze. If there are power players involved, whoever gets to 'best' first keeps the other player from getting there. Look at last year's OZ final. Sharapova never had a chance to get into the match. Serena started at her best, and never took her foot off the gas.

Infiniti2001
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/1685/258trollsprayoh2.jpg

Direwolf
Jan 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM
woohoo..!!

the year starting to get greater!!

tennisIlove09
Jan 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM
is it me or was Venus hitting with great depth?
I heard her on the Ryan Seacrest radio show this weekend and she said getting to #1 was a goal of hers this season. If she plays that well all season long, she will be.

Matt01
Jan 7th, 2008, 03:10 PM

The shit was already here before I entered the thread. I'm only adjusting to your level :angel:

sfselesfan
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
It looks to me like she's changed her motion some on her forehand. It's a little less loopy than it used to be and she's putting her weight behind it like I haven't ever seen her do (even in 2000-01). Frankly, it looks like Serena's used to.

Interesting.

*licking my chops while thinking of the AO*

SF

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Congrats Vee :banana:

Was this on TV in the states or did you guys just watch on Youtube?

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2008, 09:53 PM
This is not rebound ace.

That's changed now.

Gosh I very seldom agree with you on anything, but I have to agree with you here. I worried about Vee playing that exhibition. I worried about the travel fatigue and not getting enough playing time on this new surface. The new surface is going to take a lot of pace off the balls, and Vee loves pace. She has a lot of trouble with players who put spin on their balls, which is why she used to have so much trouble with Hingis game. Judging from the Hopman Cup, this surface has a very high bounce and takes spin very well. But, we'll see.

I know that Vee has been going to this exhibition since '04, but look at her record at the AO since she's been going to Hong Kong. Not good. But, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2008, 10:02 PM

As usual from Matt & Co. :rolleyes:

VishaalMaria
Jan 7th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Denise: Havent seen you in a long time! :P Thought something had happened.

Denise4925
Jan 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Denise: Havent seen you in a long time! :P Thought something had happened.

Awww :hug: Had a long weekend. I don't usually post at home unless I'm bored.

serenus_2k8
Jan 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM
The shit was already here before I entered the thread. I'm only adjusting to your level :angel:

Yes. The shit was already here, you stirred it.

Good luck trying to reach ''my level'' but evolution is a lengthy process :angel:

Denise4925
Jan 8th, 2008, 12:13 AM
What was the score?

VishaalMaria
Jan 8th, 2008, 12:17 AM
6-4, 6-3, lovely ;)

Denise4925
Jan 8th, 2008, 12:19 AM
6-4, 6-3

Thanks Zadent. Vee looked really good. She's really been working on the forehand. Getting prepared early, taking the ball early and following through. :woohoo:

I'm glad she got some matchplay before the AO, but I'm still concerned about the travel, heat and surface for her. :shrug:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 8th, 2008, 01:39 AM

She never has and never will.....not at their best she wont!

Marshmallow
Jan 8th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Good results, she didn't drop a set in singles. I understand the talk about surfaces, but Venus has shown with her results that she can win on any kind of surface. She has a title on just about each type. So i'm more interested in error count. What was there average? Where can i get match stats. It may just be an exo, but i've seen venus play this even in the past, spraying errors all over the place - but she seems to be happy and patient - which is may indicate her game, at least her mentality is in a better place than it has been for some years now.

spencercarlos
Jan 8th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Any link to the whole match?
Thanks in advance

jrollaneres25
Jan 9th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I think you guys have mis-interpreted what I mean by "winding down" You guys are so negative about that. Winding down doesn't neccessarily mean retirement at all! Just that she's towards the end of her career because she isn't getting any younger.

Tennisstar86
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:21 AM
I think you guys have mis-interpreted what I mean by "winding down" You guys are so negative about that. Winding down doesn't neccessarily mean retirement at all! Just that she's towards the end of her career because she isn't getting any younger.

maybe you should pick your words better.... Winding down means preparing to retire..... clearly that is not on Venus' mind.... as she has stated she wants to play in 2012 and she wants to when Wimbledon for the next 4-5 years....

jrollaneres25
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:35 AM
maybe you should pick your words better.... Winding down means preparing to retire..... clearly that is not on Venus' mind.... as she has stated she wants to play in 2012 and she wants to when Wimbledon for the next 4-5 years....

2012? I guess....:rolleyes:. When did she say this?

spencercarlos
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:47 AM

Wow without a doubt Matt, just a mere exo win and Venus tards are flying all over the place. Did you all already forgot that she failed to win in her Tier III/IV tour recently? :lol: i have not :devil:

Fighting with jrollaneres25 who is giving an logic opinion about how much is left of Venus´s carreer. :rolleyes:
venus_rulez still thinking that Venus fans are the "majority of people" :lol:
And Infiniti2001 (http://www.wtaworld.com/member.php?u=304) with his useless and boring pictures, seems that is its only way to answer these days :lol:

I can´t only but laught as much as Matt01 did off the comment about Venus winning the golden slam :lol:
Even a tard dare to say that "of all the players shes got the best shot" :lol:

WOW Happy New year Vee Fans :kiss: i missed you.
;)

spencercarlos
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Clearly you don´t know what it is in her mind, you don´t know the future and you don´t even know if she is going to be fit by then either.
Personally I concur with jrollaneres25 that Venus carreer is winding down, and her injury record logically indicates that if she has not been able to stay fit consistently enough during her 20ties, she is not going to get that in her 30ties. Still we don´t know the future, maybe i´ll be wrong in the end, no one knows that right now.

Infiniti2001
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Wow without a doubt Matt, just a mere exo win and Venus tards are flying all over the place. Did you all already forgot that she failed to win in her Tier III/IV tour recently? :lol: i have not :devil:

Fighting with jrollaneres25 who is giving an logic opinion about how much is left of Venus´s carreer. :rolleyes:
venus_rulez still thinking that Venus fans are the "majority of people" :lol:
And Infiniti2001 (http://www.wtaworld.com/member.php?u=304) with his useless and boring pictures, seems that is its only way to answer these days :lol:

I can´t only but laught as much as Matt01 did off the comment about Venus winning the golden slam :lol:
Even a tard dare to say that "of all the players shes got the best shot" :lol:

WOW Happy New year Vee Fans :kiss: i missed you.
;)

Uh the last time I checked I was not born with a dick , dumbass :tape: What is a Venus thread without you searching for your bones ?

spencercarlos
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Uh the last time I checked I was not born with a dick , dumbass :tape: What is a Venus thread without you searching for your bones ?
I don´t care about you and your gender.

:wavey:

starin
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:19 AM
At least we know from this match Sharapova's serve is back. She was serving very well.
Venus was pretty good but I never know what to expect from her so as long as she's healthy and plays well (i.e. doesn't look like she's about to pass out like she did sometimes last year) and wins her first round I'm happy. Oh lawd please don't let her draw Davenport 1st round :tape:

Tennisstar86
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:29 AM
2012? I guess....:rolleyes:. When did she say this?

When she said she planned on competing at those Olympics....

jrollaneres25
Jan 9th, 2008, 08:24 AM
When she said she planned on competing at those Olympics....

Really? She said this? When? do you have a link?

Tennisstar86
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:59 AM
All you have to do is go to google and type in Venus and 2012 olympics..... she said it after she won wimbledon.... heres one article though. theres several more....

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/article2747745.ece

Shuji Shuriken
Jan 9th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Clearly you don´t know what it is in her mind, you don´t know the future and you don´t even know if she is going to be fit by then either.
Personally I concur with jrollaneres25 that Venus carreer is winding down, and her injury record logically indicates that if she has not been able to stay fit consistently enough during her 20ties, she is not going to get that in her 30ties. Still we don´t know the future, maybe i´ll be wrong in the end, no one knows that right now.
Happy New Year to you hon...you certainly took your time getting in here with your usual bullshit :kiss: :hearts:. Missed you much babe. Still got that huge dildo up your ass though, and that can be a little problematic for you...you know...waste build up and everything :). Let it out...let it out.
Kick ass Venus :hearts: :bounce: :hearts:.

jrollaneres25
Aug 24th, 2013, 08:15 PM

I'm so eating my own words right now:lol: