PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo and Li withdraw from Medibank International

aussie_fan
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Mauresmo and Li withdraw from Medibank International

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amelie Mauresmo and Li Na have been forced to withdraw from the Medibank International due to a left adductor strain and a right knee injury respectively. The French player was also not feeling well physically.

Mauresmo made the following statement:

“It’s very disappointing to me that I won’t be able to compete in the Medibank International this year. Unfortunately I have re-injured my left adductor. I felt it yesterday during my training session and did not practice today. This is an injury that I am familiar with and know that it will not get better overnight. I know that I would not be 100% fit and ready to play on Monday. I have to take a few days to rest in order for it to get better.”

Tournament Director Craig Watson said: “We feel sorry for Amelie and certainly hope that she is fit again soon and that she also recovers physically. Amelie has a strong fan base here in Sydney having won the tournament in 2000 and was a finalist again in 2004.

“We are also sorry to hear that Li Na is not able to take her place in the draw after the form she has already shown in Australia. On behalf of the tournament we wish her the best and hope she too recovers quickly.

“We look forward to being able to welcome both these ladies back to the Medibank International next year.”

Li Na, who was the last player directly into the main draw, said: “It’s sad I had to withdraw from the Medibank International in Sydney with a right knee injury, especially since I was in the semifinals last year. The problem with my knee seemed to get a little worse after I tried to practice this morning and I just could not move very well. I really like this tournament and I will hope to come back next year.”

I don't think this has been posted yet, not good news for ameilie ahead of the aussie open. Hopefully they are both ready to go at the aussie open.

wukenaihe
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:20 AM
OMG :bigcry:

Na plz have a good rest.

hopfully its not serious.:unsure:

NyCPsU
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:30 AM
interesting.

question, are players who retire in the final round of qualifying still eligible for a lucky loser spot?

Slumpsova
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Na is asking for this injury :rolleyes:

drake3781
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I had a strong feeling that Na wouldn't make it here with the knee trouble she developed in QF at Gold Coast. It did not get better.

frici
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Amélie:(

Mattographer
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:40 AM
interesting.

question, are players who retire in the final round of qualifying still eligible for a lucky loser spot?
Yes, depends on the players if they sign-up for lucky losers spots.

Josh.
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:43 AM
ugh, really? damn.

drake3781
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Qualie winners are:
Fedak, Pin, Arvidsson, Cibulkova, Kanepi

Qualie final round losers are:
Dechy, Cohen Aloro, Obziler, Pironkova, Knapp

Matches still being decided:
Craybas vs. Perebynis

New
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Well, I think it is a wise decision on her part!:) Go Li for Aus Open!:bounce:

Ben.
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Get well soon Na & Amelie :hug:

Huntress555
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Its probably for the best with the AO around the corner.

Sassy-Na
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM
hope na li will still be seeded for AO. :scared:

dya74
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:32 AM
It doesn't look good for the AO

Sassy-Na
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:34 AM
so na li was injured and still kept playing at G.C :o

poor Chinese robot :hug:

Willam
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Do i need to say that the only reason why LI withdrew its because she is tired and dont wanna risk for AO?!?

Somepeople really belive she is injured :o

Sassy-Na
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Do i need to say that the only reason why LI withdrew its because she is tired and dont wanna risk for AO?!?

no, really a bit injured... she did have a swollen knee after QF match. but u know her personality... she said she wanted to win the tournament for her comeback... :o thats why she kept playing... those 3 tough set matches :help:

*Jean*
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Wow :eek: After all the losses of my favorites this night in Australia + Meghann & Julia's injuries, and now Amélie & Na, I think I'm gonna kill myself :tape:

Sassy-Na
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Wow :eek: After all the losses of my favorites this night in Australia + Meghann & Julia's injuries, and now Amélie & Na, I think I'm gonna kill myself :tape:

they will be ok to play AO :p

Willam
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I hope ;)

lovehotel
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:05 AM
A wise choice from Na.

black_fire
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I hope Tsveti will enter in the MD as a LL :scared:

TatiNovic
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Get well soon
Na Amelie

Hope Na will not lose too much points after this week
May not be seeded!!

esquímaux
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Here's to a speedy recovery Momo!!! :yeah:

Daniel K
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Good decision Na. It seems she's learnt to not take any chances when it comes to injury. Now get fit and ready for the Open.

wukenaihe
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Get well soon
Na Amelie

Hope Na will not lose too much points after this week
May not be seeded!!

Na will be seeded as the 24th seed.;)

winning the Goldy helps her get a much better draw as the 24th seed, otherwise she could have drawn 1-8th seeds in the third round.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Na :sad:

Slumpsova
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:03 AM

:o
i hope she didn't lie.

Geoffrey91
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:06 AM
:hug: Amé et Na

Hope Nath will be LL but i don't know if she can because she returned.

xcrtbckhnd
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Knapp and Dechy are LL's

andrewC
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Poor Na :(

Dodoboy.
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I BLame the surface!!

Bероника
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
:sad: Amelie.Hope she will be ready for Melbourne :hug:

jerryxiao1988
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Na withdraw due to right knee injury, replaced by Knapp
Amelie right adductor strain replaced by Dechy.:sad:

Hope they are all right and comeback at AO:help:

jerryxiao1988
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Oh,i didnt see it has been posted

Sassy-Na
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:35 AM
24th seed... very nice :p

Sassy-Na
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:35 AM
omg :help:

honeymo
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Amelie :sad::hug::kiss:

mauresmofan
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Damn I was hoping Amélie would get some much needed matches here.

ce
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM
na :sad:

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Really sucks, was looking forward to seeing both play, especially Amelie!

I think she probably wanted to wait and see the draw before she decided to pull out, saw Henin, and though CBA :eek:

crazillo
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Li had a lot of tough matches at the Gold Coast and wants to be fit in Australia, I can understand this.

Amelie... Well, it doesn't improve her chances to win a few rounds at the AO IMO.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Justine and Ana's path to the Sydney Final just got a whole lot easier.. :tape:

©@®eLess
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Jankovic very likely to follow....

Ysabella
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:27 PM
momo scared of lucie and juju

Sonja
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:33 PM
So much for staying healthy *sigh*

I hope they'll both be ok for the rest of the year.

Paul.be
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM
It's a shame. I was hoping for a new Justine versus Amélie match. I always like them play each other.

LudwigDvorak
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
It's a shame. I was hoping for a new Justine versus Amélie match. I always like them play each other.

Agreed, but in all likelihood she wouldn't have made it to the QF anyway.

I hope they both feel better, I like both a lot. So Dechy will take Mauresmo's spot and Knapp will take Li's or vice versa? And then the other qualifiers are placed as normal?

spiritedenergy
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:02 PM
go Na Li win the AO!:tape::help:

Ceze
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Damn I was hoping Amélie would get some much needed matches here.ditto :sad:

Sassy-Na
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM
go Na Li win the AO!:tape::help:

go spirit! :p

Sassy-Na
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Justine and Ana's path to the Sydney Final just got a whole lot easier.. :tape:

not sure about ana :p

Renalicious
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Damn...was such a good week for Na and now another injury... :sad:

.Andrew.
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Rest up Amelie and Na. :hug:
Be at your best for Melbourne! :armed:

Hugo24
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Amelie She made the right decision she would have played on it and injured it more so to take some rest it is the best decision Get Better Amelie .

petkoan
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I want Pironkova in the main draw pleasee...

Yonexforever
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Amelie has been off tour for how many months now and she is still "injured"?
Its time to start thinking retirement, mentally she is toast and its now maifesting itself with injuries.
With Serena and Venus healthy and Justine as No1 she has no confidence outside of grass me thinks.
Not to mention the ton of young heavy hitters lurking to get a scalp.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I hope there both ok for the Open. I am really getting worried about MoMo:sad:.

danieln1
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I hope Amelie is using this to rest for the Australian Open, she must do well there!

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM
good decision by Li if shes feeling a bit fatigued/sore-she desnt want to badly reinjure herself before the AO

Amelie :help: she needs some matches

Indytennis
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Amelie has been off tour for how many months now and she is still "injured"?
Its time to start thinking retirement, mentally she is toast and its now maifesting itself with injuries.
With Serena and Venus healthy and Justine as No1 she has no confidence outside of grass me thinks.
Not to mention the ton of young heavy hitters lurking to get a scalp.

Wow you must know Amelie well if you know that mentally she is toast. Amelie isnt thinking retirement or she wouldnt have showed up in Australia long before any other players to train.
Sydney means nothing to her at this point of her career, if she isnt feeling 100% then it is pointless to show up and risk serious injury with the first grand slam just around the corner.

hablo
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:56 PM
If Momo keeps getting injured like this, I don't see her sticking around for much longer.

saniapower
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Its Time, Amelie Mauresmo.

MCCA
Jan 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I read somewhere that it’s a reoccurring groin injury and as long as she rests the injury its ok (don’t know how true):sad: I hoped to see more of her this season lets hope she has a good injury free season!

hwanmig
Jan 7th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I could see Amelie's withrawal from a mile. Hopefully she is fit and ready in time for AO.

Sassy-Na
Jan 7th, 2008, 10:42 AM
hope na li will reach R3 in AO at least because mirza starts to be a bit annoying, she always say her ranking will pass na li's one and become a new asian no.1 :o