PDA

View Full Version : I spoke with Patrick McEnroe today ...

Volcana
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:20 AM
.... not for long or anything. But we did talk tennis.

He hasn't actually been on the new surface for OZ. He's not going down to Australia until the end of next week. But he's heard from the players the same thing that's on the web. The surface is much slower than they expected when they replaced Rebound Ace.

Also, he said not to put too much stock in the Hong Kong results. An exo is an exo. The players work on their games, they aren't so much into winning and losing.

I didn't ask him who he thought would win OZ. The conversation didn't last that long.

starin
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:23 AM

He hasn't actually been on the new surface for OZ. He's not going down to Australia until the end of next week. But he's heard from the players the same thing that's on the web. The surface is much slower than they expected when they replaced Rebound Ace.

Also, he said not to put too much stock in the Hong Kong results. An exo is an exo. The players work on their games, they aren't so much into winning and losing.

I didn't ask him who he thought would win OZ. The conversation didn't last that long.

thank you. That's what I always thought. It's like last year with Roddick when he beat Federer. All the American commentators got all pumped up like it meant something and Roddick got the wosrt beatdown from Federer at the AO. and where'd you meet McEnroe at?

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:25 AM
how many times did he mention Roddick :rolls: ?

Hots4Safin
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:31 AM

He probably only said that cause Venus won.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:32 AM
An exo is an exo depending on who it is. Personally I know Venus and Maria are extremely competitive and were playing to win.

HK is played in a nice venue, has lots of media attention, prize money, trophy....it may not be a tour event but do you think Venus cares?>

gmokb

Mmmm, now why doesn't his response surprise me? Maybe its because a William won; Maria lost????

Volcana
thank you. That's what I always thought. It's like last year with Roddick when he beat Federer. All the American commentators got all pumped up like it meant something and Roddick got the wosrt beatdown from Federer at the AO. and where'd you meet McEnroe at?Ran into him on the street. He's pretty recognizable, but not a big enough celeb that people are all over him. I led off with 'Congratulations on winning Davis Cup'. Not surprisingly, he was willing to exchange a few words after that. how many times did he mention Roddick?He didn't.

venus_rulez
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Ran into him at Starbuck's. I led off with 'Congratulations on winning Davis Cup'. Not surprisingly, he was willing to exchange a few words after that.

:lol: That was a great lead in

Volcana
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Mmmm, now why doesn't his response surprise me? Maybe its because a William won; Maria lost????He's pretty consistent with that opinion. I've heard him talk about the Federer-Sampras exos on his radio program, and he's said the same thing. He said Federer played at about 40-50%.

Players didn't come up much, except he agreed with me that the best Americans, male and female, favored a faster surface. (Like that's rocket science.)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:38 AM
how many times did he mention Roddick :rolls: ?

Allot less than you mention the "banshee" :crazy:.

starin
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:40 AM
He probably only said that cause Venus won.

Ran into him on the street. He's pretty recognizable, but not a big enough celeb that people are all over him. I led off with 'Congratulations on winning Davis Cup'. Not surprisingly, he was willing to exchange a few words after that. He didn't.

umm....he's pretty supportive of the WS in general. At least lately. I remember when him and carillo do commentary together Carillo is always knocking Venus or Serena down and McEnroe is defending them.

lol...nvm that's JOHN McEnroe. Patrick is a bit of douche in regards to the WS. That's cool. What city did you run into him in, if you don't mind my asking?

Volcana
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:44 AM
What city did you run into him in, if you don't mind my asking?New York. I was just visiting, but I think he lives there.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Very cool. As others have said really clever lead in, Volcana. And yeah I agree with McEnroe that you can't read anything into exhibition results.

But while Venus's win in Hong Kong is, on its own, no evidence Venus is in great form, it also is no evidence she isn't either. So I think Venus fans can still be pretty optimistic about the upcoming season. But certainly what happens in Australia isn't going to be decided by who does well in the two weeks of warm up events and especially exhibition results.

Volcana
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:53 AM
while Venus's win in Hong Kong is, on its own, no evidence Venus is in great form, it also is no evidence she isn't either.I'm working hard to not read too much into it. But obviously, I'm pretty happy with the result. Still Sharapova is Venus' kind of opponent. It tells me nothing about what will happen the next time she plays Henin, and that's the big deal.

FoxyliciousKhat
Jan 6th, 2008, 01:54 AM

ROFL so P-Mac thoughts are now the authority. Like anyone with commonsense would take stock in anything he says. Funny he never felt that an exo is an exo when Roddick beat Fed last year, since he was singing how Andy would then beat Fed at the slams.

WHATEVER P-MAC!!

Foxy

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Did P Mac have any news on Shaha' Pyare? :p

schorsch
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:07 AM
While I do agree that players dont give it their all in exho, I also think they at least take them seriously. Especially when a top player meets another one. But of course holding back when they know it could lead to an injury or exhaustion. Like serving at 80 % or not running down just everything. Smashing less, too for example. Keep the points relatively short and try out new things or look at what is missing/lacking.

tennisbear7
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Just because a player takes them seriously, doesn't mean that an exo means anything still.

You just can't simulate grand slam conditions in an exhibition. Hell, you can't even simulate normal match conditions.

ico4498
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:38 AM
need pics ...

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:56 AM
need pics ...
Nude pics? :p

supergrunt
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:00 AM
:rolleyes:

Volcana
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:24 AM
ROFL so P-Mac thoughts are now the authority. Like anyone with commonsense would take stock in anything he says.He's rather more authoritative where tennis is concerned than you. And while the USTA may have lacked 'commonsense' in making him Davis Cup captain, the USA did finally win the Davis Cup.Funny he never felt that an exo is an exo when Roddick beat Fed last year, since he was singing how Andy would then beat Fed at the slams.Maybe he learned from that, since he's used it since then as an example of the fact that what happens in exos don't mean much.

supergrunt
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Well. Patrick McEnroe is Patrick McEnroe.

Drake1980
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:50 AM
That's cool!

Volcana
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Did P Mac have any news on Shaha' Pyare? :pSorry. We really are taking about only a minute or so of conversation. And I was really interested in what, if anything, he knew about the OZ surface. Also, he was being nice about me bugging him, and I didn't want to fuck it up by dragging it out.

AcesHigh
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Nice... but it's still Patrick McEnroe and I can't take anything he says about women's tennis seriously.

Of course he knows more than I do about tennis, but really.. it is P-Mac we're talking about.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:03 AM
An exo is an exo depending on who it is.

This has always been true! Some opponents a player doesn't want to lose to-- no matter whether an exo or a tournament or a GS.