PDA

View Full Version : Why did Chris Evert not switch to a metal frame?

mboyle
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I was just watching the Oz Open final from 1982 on TTC, and Navratilova had a metal (graphite?) frame, but Evert was still using a wooden frame. I know Evert had switched by the 1985 French, but why did she continue using a wooden frame two or three years after Nav had swtiched? Do any long time fans remember?

sfselesfan
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Because she didn't need to in order to win.

SF

PamShriver
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evert switched at the beginning of the '84 season to the graphite. She was still pretty even with Martina at the end of '82 so she probably didn't think it was necessary at that point. However, by the time the '83 season ended she had lost seven straight to Martina and all six of their encounters that year so she knew that a change was necessary. I am not certain as to why it took so long to switch, but I think it took her a while to find a Wilson graphite model that she was happy with, which might have been difficult to do during the regular season and so she waited for the off-season (she skipped the '83 Aussie Open) to find the model that worked for her. I'm sure it took a while as Chrissie was so methodical about everything related to her tennis (she only let her father string her racquets throughout her entire career), she was also going through some off-court difficulties at the time, which I believe hindered her tennis in '83-'84 and allowed Navratilova to have an even greater dominance than I think she would have had, had Chrissie been able to focus 100% on her tennis.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 7th, 2008, 07:04 AM
she was also going through some off-court difficulties at the time, which I believe hindered her tennis in '83-'84 and allowed Navratilova to have an even greater dominance than I think she would have had, had Chrissie been able to focus 100% on her tennis.

I feel the same about that time period, Pam. Chris once advised Martina to get her life together to focus on tennis, and there she found herself in the same position in 1983 (especially) and 1984.

Other than not generating the same power with wood, ChrissieE still played a pretty mean game with that old wooden racquet though. Someone on TTC was mentioning that this week, and how much more precise a player had to be with the sweet spot with those old standard sized head wooden racquets.

What gets me, is that I can't find one of those old graphites that ChrissieE first played with. I'm sure they were marketed to the public. Back then, I still used my wood and never changed. But now, I'd like to have one of them old graphic CE racquets.

As I recall, Chris also still used the standard sized head graphite at that time. Did she ever move on to the midsized graphite as a pro?

If no one answers, guess I have to pull out some DVD and watch. :cool:

Langers
Jan 7th, 2008, 07:06 AM
:lol: Just saw the highlights of this match yesterday and I asked myself the exact same question!

Not sure why, but what a legend she was! :yeah: