PDA

View Full Version : Serena And Venus' Play This Week Will Bring Them Home A Slam Or Two In 2008

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Both played well, especially Serena under pressure. Venus beats Maria yet again. I think it is safe to say that these ladies will be bringing home at least one slam in 2008. Both look in better shape than in 2007, and both seem hungry.

What do you all think?

Demska
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Both tournaments meant nothing.

Uranium
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Venus will win AO, RG, W and Serena olympics and USO.
:)

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Meant Nothing? How Rude.

The "Nothing" Tournaments Are Bringing A Lot Of Confidence To The Both Of Them Going Into The Aussie...

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Australian Open-Serena Williams
The French Open-Venus Williams
Wimbledon-Serena Williams
Olympics-Justine Henin
The US Open-Serena Williams

Demska
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM
You believe that.. :tape:

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
You believe that.. :tape:

the tournaments meant nothing but their quality of play meant something. :p

serenus_2k8
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Both tournaments meant nothing.

Oh and she also beat Elena ;)

If they really mean nothing, why have 7 of the worlds top 10 entered an exhibition as a warm up to the AO? :confused:

I'd say if you're there its best to win. :rolleyes:

Kovalchuk
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:50 PM
french open??

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM

If they really mean nothing, why have 7 of the worlds top 10 entered an exhibition as a warm up to the AO? :confused:

Well said.:worship::worship::worship::kiss:

mboyle
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I'm impressed and surprised that Venus finally beat Maria off of grass...We'll see what happens in Oz. I still think Justine is formidable.

Knizzle
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I'm impressed and surprised that Venus finally beat Maria off of grass...We'll see what happens in Oz. I still think Justine is formidable.If you are counting exo's she beat Maria two other times on hard surfaces.

Bijoux0021
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:24 PM
If you are counting exo's she beat Maria two other times on hard surfaces.
I was just about to say that.

Highlandman
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
If you are counting exo's she beat Maria two other times on hard surfaces.

Yes, with all exho's their H2H would be 5-3 Venus :lol: - and not 2-3 :p :lol:

Jan 5th, 2008, 06:33 PM
People us Williams fans know that Demska is just a hater and is just mad that the Williams sisters dominated the headlines. Demska is probably mad that Elena got trashed in both singles and doubles by Venus in Hong Kong.

Mina Vagante
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:33 PM
It's 'Venus and Serena', 'Serena and Venus' just doesn't sound right:lol:

Mina Vagante
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Yes both a played some outstanding tennis this week, both are injury free (oh god, this will come back nad bite me in the ass :o) and both seems hungry. Last year there was no way i saw Serena winning the AO, but this year she has a pretty great chance. I STILL can't get over how thin she looks ( it's like watching one of them makeover shows) :lol:

Dodoboy.
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Demska :(..
great wins by both of them!...great win for american fans!

iWill
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Great play by both although I think Venus's wins will give her more confidence because she beat other top ten players and potential slam contenders. Serena's win will fix some of the holes shes had in her game but I don't think it will do much for her confidence (not that she really needs it). Either way I'd love to see an all Williams final with Vee taking it and Serena getting the FO or WImbledon preferably both though! :)

doni1212
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:38 PM
It's 'Venus and Serena', 'Serena and Venus' just doesn't sound right:lol:

I know, :lol:

starin
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:43 PM
They won EXHIBITIONS. Let's keep that in perspective. If they had lost I would say the same thing. At the end of the day these were matches that don't mean anything and I have seen too many times someone beat someone in an exhibition only to get thrashed by that person in a later tournament.
Serena played decent but I still thought at times she was pushing the ball too much and wasn't being as aggressive as she was at the beginning of the year last year. But anyhoo I'm glad both ladies won. :bounce:

And I know that some overly sensitive WS fans are going to bad rep me for this but you know that if either sister had lost you would be saying that these exhibitions don't mean anything. Can't have it both ways people.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM
but you totally forget this bitch ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7s-enR3o-o

:wavey:

RenaSlam.
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I agree.

Go Williams.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:57 PM
:o, she calls everyone a bitch

shit, I say worse things, when I play my best friend.

Get over it already.

Dodoboy.
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
People are either not very articulate or don't choose the correct words.
Don't say they don't mean ANYTHING just say they aren't as IMPORTANT as official WTA tournaments.
I would rather win Hopman Cup to be honest than win a tier 3 or something. These exhibitions are very prestigious.
So yeah choose the words!

LudwigDvorak
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM
but you totally forget this bitch ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7s-enR3o-o

:wavey:

Commit suicide already. :bigwave:

I want them both to win slams and all but...let's see their bodies stay fairly preserved for the course of a season--aka 10 events, maybe a few more.

Uranium
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM

5-4
Maria beat her in Thailand 2005 or 2004

Slumpsova
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:05 PM

you need to learn the word M-O-N-E-Y :p
it's okay just let's Sharapova teaches you that. she is good at it :)

franny
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Wat time of funky match did you do there, lol? With their exho's, it'd be 4-4. I think Venus beat Maria twice in exhos, and Maria beat Venus once. They played some Asian exho back in the end of 04 or early 05 where Maria won.

Tennisstar86
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Venus will win the French open and nothing else?!?!?!?!

While i do think if Venus is ever gonna win the French she'll have to do it this year.....with the self confidance from last year and maybe an AO win carrying her on to victory at the FO and maybe Wimbleodn i don think she will win the french....

And i especially dont think that if she wins the french it'll be her only major of 08..... her confidance if she won there would just be too much goin into the other majors IMO...

Wilson_07
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:48 PM
come on guys...don't have too high expectations...let's just wait and see. they played some good tennis maybe, but it was just one tournament...we have to wait until the AO to see if they can keep it up

gmokb
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I know its early and as people keep harping on; they won expo matches but I like how they are looking and expects big things from them in 2008, failing injuries.

Won't it be great if they split the four Slams between themselves, with Vee getting the French and Australian, thus making her holder of all four and joining that executive group that Serena is already in? Well, I can dream can't I and besides it the Williams, anything is possible with these two women

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Venus and Serena (sounds much better) do show great form at the moment, and a win is still a win, even though it's an exhibition match. And both are among the faves to win this year's AO.

There are three things though which still has a question mark hanging above them...

1) How will the AO draw be? Will they get tough opponents in the early rounds? (i.e Davenport?)
2) By playing doubles together, will it effect their form in singles?
3) Venus' win over Maria was a great result - but will she struggle on the new AO surface (if the HK exhibition is not played on Plexi)? And Serena won her match against Jelena via walkover, so she wasn't really tested by any top-10 player yet (granted Lucie and Molik did give up a great fight, but you would expect Serena to defeat them). How well will she do when she faces one in AO?

RenaSlam.
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Venus and Serena (sounds much better) do show great form at the moment, and a win is still a win, even though it's an exhibition match. And both are among the faves to win this year's AO.

There are three things though which still has a question mark hanging above them...

1) How will the AO draw be? Will they get tough opponents in the early rounds? (i.e Davenport?)
2) By playing doubles together, will it effect their form in singles?
3) Venus' win over Maria was a great result - but will she struggle on the new AO surface (if the HK exhibition is not played on Plexi)? And Serena won her match against Jelena via walkover, so she wasn't really tested by any top-10 player yet (granted Lucie and Molik did give up a great fight, but you would expect Serena to defeat them). How will she do when she faces one in AO?

1.) It doesn't matter if either sister gets tough opponents in the early rounds. (IE Australian Open 07 with Serena & ie with Venus at Wimbledon 07). They have proven time and time again that the seeds are merely just numbers and don't mean shit especially when it comes to grand slam prowess.

2.) I think doubles can only help both sisters in their preparation/maintaining their games. They have played doubles in the past at the slams and it has served them well.

3.) Once again, either sister will be fine facing top players. Venus' win over Maria will do wonders for her confidence even if it is an exhibition. Serena of all people doesn't care who she is facing on the other side of the night.

Anymore questions?!

In The Zone
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Historically, it's when the Sisters play doubles that their singles games become even more explosive. 2000 Wimbledon doubles title, Venus wins Singles. 1999 USO, Serena wins singles, they win the doubles. 2003 Australian, Serena wins the singles, the sisters win the doubles. Shall I go on? :p

We'll take it one match at a time as the surface is new but I am highly moved by their play the past week. :)

K-Dog
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I wouldn't say that this form is anything to write home about. Sure, it's great that they both played well this week. But again, these were exhibitions. There isn't the type of pressure or tension that exist in grand slam matches. Both will have to keep this high level up for two weeks of play, which for Venus and Serena means injuries can't get in the way, they can't have patches of erratic play, and they need to have reasonable draws. The new surface is going to be new to everyone, it just matters how one deals with the changes better. Both have to hope for decent weather down under because neither of them have really been pushed in the extreme conditions yet in Australia.

Some things to watch:

1) Serena's knee: How will it hold up? It tends to flare up after extended periods of play. Hopefully it can withstand the two weeks in Melbourne or at any Grand Slam.

2) Serena's fitness: Is it really that much better? Is her movement a lot better? What is her footwork looking like? All are key to her beating the top players.

3) Serena's aggresion: Is she going to attack the ball or doubt herself and push it? After RG 4th round, we saw her push the ball around alot. Will she bring that mentallity to this Oz Open and the rest of the year or has her aggresion returned?

4) Venus' assortment of physical issues: Will this anemia rear its ugly head again? Will her wrist hold up? Will any of her lower joints be a problem? Is the back going to be an issue?

5) Venus' serve: Is it going to be affected by this back problem. Will the first serve be consistent? Will the second serve hold up?

6) Venus' backhand: It appears that she's worked on it some in the off season and it is now looking like it did during 2000-2003. Will this re-tooling hold up under the pressure of a major?

These are some major themes to look out for regarding the sisters. Hopefully everything can fall into place for both girls and we don't have a repeat of last Olympic Year where the sisters really did shit all year.

moon
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't say that this form is anything to write home about. Sure, it's great that they both played well this week. But again, these were exhibitions. There isn't the type of pressure or tension that exist in grand slam matches. Both will have to keep this high level up for two weeks of play, which for Venus and Serena means injuries can't get in the way, they can't have patches of erratic play, and they need to have reasonable draws. The new surface is going to be new to everyone, it just matters how one deals with the changes better. Both have to hope for decent weather down under because neither of them have really been pushed in the extreme conditions yet in Australia.

Some things to watch:

1) Serena's knee: How will it hold up? It tends to flare up after extended periods of play. Hopefully it can withstand the two weeks in Melbourne or at any Grand Slam.

2) Serena's fitness: Is it really that much better? Is her movement a lot better? What is her footwork looking like? All are key to her beating the top players.

3) Serena's aggresion: Is she going to attack the ball or doubt herself and push it? After RG 4th round, we saw her push the ball around alot. Will she bring that mentallity to this Oz Open and the rest of the year or has her aggresion returned?

4) Venus' assortment of physical issues: Will this anemia rear its ugly head again? Will her wrist hold up? Will any of her lower joints be a problem? Is the back going to be an issue?

5) Venus' serve: Is it going to be affected by this back problem. Will the first serve be consistent? Will the second serve hold up?

6) Venus' backhand: It appears that she's worked on it some in the off season and it is now looking like it did during 2000-2003. Will this re-tooling hold up under the pressure of a major?

These are some major themes to look out for regarding the sisters. Hopefully everything can fall into place for both girls and we don't have a repeat of last Olympic Year where the sisters really did shit all year.
2004 was the year after their sister was murdered. it's a wonder they played anything at all that year. there was alot going on with them off court. I'm sure 2008 will be a much better year, barring injury.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:56 PM
awesome responses about the sisters guys :)

mdterp01
Jan 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. One good week of tennis does not a season make. Already injuries are a side story with both Serena and Venus at the start of the 2008 season. Venus had to have treatment because of a back thing and Serena had a stomach flu. I thought Serena was on her way after winning the Aussie Open last year, only to be disappointed yet again with an injury here and an injury there. Then, Venus had her anemia issues. So lets wait awhile before making such grandiose statements. Justine Henin is the one to beat at ALL the slams until otherwise proven that someone can take her out.

Nemo_Kool
Jan 6th, 2008, 09:17 PM
There are some valid points made what with injury issues, health concerns, etc. and i know we shouldnt get ahead of ourselves buut its just really exciting atm with the winning and everything!!! i hope for a prosperous year as my sig. states!!!

but...what with the talk about exhibitions...All these players tried to win, they are trying to make thier game click before a grandslam so why question the significance of these wins? they are important it shows Venus (in particular) and serena are getting thier games into shape at the right time.

Heres me hoping for good fortune in 2008 for the WS.

bandabou
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Easy...one match at a time. Serena looked pretty good, serve was on..but yeah, only 2 matches. We'll see. I agree: Justine is the one to beat..but if anybody can do it on a big stage....

starin
Jan 6th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Some things to watch:

1) Serena's knee: How will it hold up? It tends to flare up after extended periods of play. Hopefully it can withstand the two weeks in Melbourne or at any Grand Slam. that is a big question because I think her knee affects not only her movement but her strokes and her 2nd serve...but I hope for the best

2) Serena's fitness: Is it really that much better? Is her movement a lot better? What is her footwork looking like? All are key to her beating the top players. her movement looked about the same if not a little slower at Hopman Cup but I don't think she was really trying to chase every ball down. She def. wasn't giving her 100% movement wise so it might be too soon to tell. In the pictures of her practice session at AO I thought she looked a little fitter but at HOpman cup I thought she looked the same so :shrug:

3) Serena's aggresion: Is she going to attack the ball or doubt herself and push it? After RG 4th round, we saw her push the ball around alot. Will she bring that mentallity to this Oz Open and the rest of the year or has her aggresion returned? even at Hopman cup against Molik she was still pushing the ball wayyyyy too much. In fact I felt like I was watching their Wimbledon 2007 match all over again. Too much spin by Serena, but without good depth and pace, with her balls sitting up nicely for super slow Molik, faster power players will have a field day with those

4) Venus' assortment of physical issues: Will this anemia rear its ugly head again? Will her wrist hold up? Will any of her lower joints be a problem? Is the back going to be an issue? too soon to tell

5) Venus' serve: Is it going to be affected by this back problem. Will the first serve be consistent? Will the second serve hold up? too soon to tell

6) Venus' backhand: It appears that she's worked on it some in the off season and it is now looking like it did during 2000-2003. Will this re-tooling hold up under the pressure of a major?hmm.. her backhand did look good at Hong Kong but how I am anxious to see how she it holds up in a tight match

atptour03
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I think some of you might be underestimating these exhibition events. Venus and Serena's wins meant something, in that they got good singles and doubles practice and will get to spend a week and a half on the new plexi surface practicing in Melbourbe and working on their games. The trouble for Venus and Serena has always been that if you want to beat them, do it early. But this time around it is not the case, they are match fit and more prepared, especially Venus. Venus is playing with a confidence and clarity that I have not seen from here on the surfaces outside of grass. Her win at the U.S. Open over Jankovic was important and crucial. I just hope Venus and Serena won't get screwed on the draw. I think other players are due for a tough draw other than thses two.

faboozadoo15
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:24 AM

:tape: If anything, this says a lot for Sharapova... Exo's are different that tourney matches.

doni1212
Jan 7th, 2008, 04:38 AM
:tape: If anything, this says a lot for Sharapova... Exo's are different that tourney matches.

I guess everything is different in grand slams seeing as Maria has never beaten Venus in one, :tape: :lol:

CanIGetAWhat
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Both played well, especially Serena under pressure. Venus beats Maria yet again. I think it is safe to say that these ladies will be bringing home at least one slam in 2008. Both look in better shape than in 2007, and both seem hungry.

What do you all think?Well, Venus won Wimbledon.

One down, one more to go.

In The Zone
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Historically, it's when the Sisters play doubles that their singles games become even more explosive. 2000 Wimbledon doubles title, Venus wins Singles. 1999 USO, Serena wins singles, they win the doubles. 2003 Australian, Serena wins the singles, the sisters win the doubles. Shall I go on? :p

We'll take it one match at a time as the surface is new but I am highly moved by their play the past week. :)

I should be given a gold medal for this gem. :hearts:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 7th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Wrong slam :ras:

:p

RenaSlam.
Jul 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
:worship:

Natalicious
Jul 7th, 2008, 03:25 PM
good bump ;)

Dodoboy.