PDA

View Full Version : Six qualifiers in Sydney??!!

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I am sure I am not the 1st person to notice this. And I would not be at all surprised if there hasn't been some comments on this in other threads, but as this is quite unusual for a 32 player draw (with 4 byes) I think it justifies a thread.

I know last year Sydney only had 4 qualifiers and I cannot ever recall seeing 6 qualifiers for a 32 player draw at WTA tour level. I'd be interested to hear what others think about it.

Personally I love it as it gives more lower ranked players an opportunity to shine on the big stage. And any player who gets through 3 rounds of qualifying certainly deserves to be there. It also allows more lower ranked players the chance to get some matches in before the Australian Open qualifying. And as there are no ITF events in the area this is invaluable.

Lucyxx
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Love it.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM
agreed :) good post

In The Zone
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Does anyone remember a thread a year ago or maybe even two where Hobart was supposed to be expanded to a 56 MD because of the cancellation of Canberra? What ever happened to that?

This is clearly a response to the lack of openings for players to get practice in before Melbourne. It's actually been an exciting two days of tennis with so many matches in Sydney.

serenus_2k8
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:09 PM
It rocks for the lower ranked players, yes, and also sets up some big QF/SFs between some of the big hopes of the AO! :D

Love it! :bounce:

Bulgaria
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Ya the 6 qualifier players is a very good idea. And else I think that WTA should think the idea to get rid of the byes for the top 4 players. That's unfair. A quailifier should win 8 matches and they 4 for winning the title.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Ya the 6 qualifier players is a very good idea. And else I think that WTA should think the idea to get rid of the byes for the top 4 players. That's unfair. A quailifier should win 8 matches and they 4 for winning the title.

Agree with that. I hate byes.

serenus_2k8
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I cant believe how many stars are here...its just gonna be insane!
I'm cheering JJ, Sveta and Tati :D

Mattographer
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Does anyone remember a thread a year ago or maybe even two where Hobart was supposed to be expanded to a 56 MD because of the cancellation of Canberra? What ever happened to that?

This is clearly a response to the lack of openings for players to get practice in before Melbourne. It's actually been an exciting two days of tennis with so many matches in Sydney.
I wanted to know as well :shrug: Tennis Australia sucks! :o