PDA

View Full Version : Davenport and Mauresmo to upset the applecart at the Australian Open?

StephenUK
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:40 AM
One of the main reasons why this year's Australian Open looks like it could be extra exciting is the potential of Lindsay Davenport and Amelie Mauresmo to wreak havoc on the draw.

Lindsay will be unseeded so will face a seed in the first two rounds. Given her comeback form, I would expect her to cause some major upsets and advance well into the second week. Imagine if she faces Henin, Sharapova or a Williams in round one - I would not put it past her to take one of them out cold in such a situation.

Mauresmo's form has not been so impressive, but she definitely punches well above her weight in the 17-32 seed bracket she will be in. None of the top names will want to draw her for their third round opponent - she is the other player who could take out a top name. She is the player who has caused Henin most trouble in recent years so Justine will not want her in her section.

There could even be a double whammy - imagine if one of the top players has to play Davenport then Mauresmo even before getting to the last 16. Ouch!! Even if they don't beat the top players, they could exhaust them with long and draining matches which could have effects later on. They will certainly affect how tough each side of the draw is.

Personally I don't see either player winning the event, though I can definitely see Lindsay making a quarter or a semi depending on her draw and Mauresmo a quarter. What do you think?

Vlad Tepes
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM
You're right in a way, they will make the draw more exciting and maybe pull off a big upset. Nevertheless, Amelie hasn't had a great result or a big win in months, while Lindsay only impressed in low-key tournaments, which says nothing about how she will fare against elite players. Saying that one of them could end the run of a stellar Henin or an in-form Serena/Venus/Maria is pushing it quite a bit IMO. I expect at least one of them to make it to the second week, but in order to reach the QF or further, the draw would really have to be very kind.

-Sonic-
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Yes please!!!

Yasmine
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I hope so :hearts: :D:bounce:

Destiny
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:47 AM
i wish
seems so exciting

Ben.
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I cannot wait til the AO draw comes out just to see whee amelie & lindsay will be :D you know the might just cause an upset or two I reckon :)

Indytennis
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I agree, once you get in the grand slams a lot of things change. Who cares if Lindsay is winning lower tier events and Amelie hasnt been the same...the two of them know how to play well in the big events and they could really go in with a nothing to lose attitude and cause some upsets.

The Daviator
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I really hope they don't draw each other in the first round :o

Hugo24
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I hope so It will be exciting to see

IceHock
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Well when Amelie won the AO in'06 she was playing bad before, lost first round in sydney then scarep Past Sun in the first round of the AO in 3 sets, if she works her way through the draw she will be dangerous, Davenport is a danger to anyone, if she's on it's going to be very tough to beat her.

danieln1
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I want Lindsay to upset some seeds at this tournament, she has the game to beat anyone in the draw... It would be great if she gets Castaño or Muller in the first round!
Amelie is the most dangerous lower seed, it would be great if she could upset Henin or Sveta

Wiggly
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Lindsay is way more dangerous. She's full of confidence.

Tennisstar86
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Amelies ranked 18 right now.... theres no way for 1 of the top seeds to draw lindsay 1rst round and Amelie 2nd...