PDA

View Full Version : Is Serena playing doubles in the Aus Open?

Chance
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:36 AM
it looks like it or have i misunderstood her:confused:

Transcript - Winner’s Media Conference
4/01/2008

MARDY FISH (USA)
SERENA WILLIAMS (USA)
Mardy you had a tough match to start things off today.
(Fish) yeah, you know to be honest, I really felt like I was hitting the ball well. I felt like the game that I lost serve early, I missed a few shots, like three of my shots that I missed were only an inch or two max. I felt good on the returns and obviously, for whatever reason, the serves start clicking more and more once I get into the match, once I get loose and that was definitely the case. And this is a unique competition and one that you, you’re obviously playing for yourself and your coaches and you’re playing for the American Flag but this is a little bit more different and you’ve got a team mate there to root you on and you’re playing for your country and there’s something special about that.

Serena, a perfect start to the year and you’ve got the prize that you wanted.
(Williams) Yeah, I had two really good matches and I had some great doubles matches so, seeing that I’m playing singles and doubles in Australia I feel like I’m really fit and really match fit and ready.

You seemed to find your form quite quickly after the delay at getting here.
(Williams) Yeah, I did and it definitely pays. And I’m glad that I’m here early and I have ten days or so before the tournament starts, nine days so I’ll be ready.
You didn’t have a singles game today, are you confident that you had enough matches leading up to Melbourne ?
(Williams) Absolutely. I have four matches under my belt. Because the doubles are really just as intense, if not more, than the singles. I’m definitely excited about that.
Serena, you don’t often play doubles, except with Venus, what’s it like playing with Mardy?
(Williams) It was awesome. He had a big serve; I was like ‘gosh’. There is nothing better than standing at the net and knowing that your partner’s going to hold serve. It’s like awesome. I can’t even describe that feeling. So I was like ‘yes!’ It’s so easy, and Mardy’s serving great and he’s just playing really really well, I’m happy and proud for him.
Mardy, your playing with a partner who has a whole bunch of Grand Slams under her belt, does that make it easier for you?
(Fish) Yeah, I have clearly got the best partner here that’s for sure. She’s got some credentials to her name, there’s no doubt about that. She’s a future hall-of-famer and one of the best players to ever play.
Have either of you spoken to Meghann since you won?
(Fish) we haven’t no. Meghann is not one of our close friends but she’s an extremely nice girl and obviously she came through huge for us, and we were actually talking about that on the court, just how big she was for us and helping us out. She came back from a set down to battle in three sets and that was definitely big and we’re happy she was a part of it.
Have you heard about what happened with her knee injury? They are saying that she has to take six months off.
(Fish) We heard through the grapevine, but we didn’t hear what. I actually said that to her on the court, what happened? Does anybody know?
Apparently it was an on court knee problem holding her back for six months.
(Fish) and it’s something pretty serious? Yeah, she beat Sania Mirza who’s a good player, a great player and she’s always looks forward to playing doubles as well, she’s top twenty in the world in doubles so that’s a bummer if that’s the case.
You had a big start to the year last year Mardy, do you feel you’re in the same sort of shape?
(Fish) I feel like I’m playing better to be honest. I feel like I’ve got another year of experience under my belt. I came to the Australian Open last year and beat Lubechec who was four in the world and I came out here and played Novak, pretty tight today. It could have gone either way. That breaker in the third, so yeah I feel comfortable being down here, I love this trip and to be able to get four matches before the start of Sydney is nice.
Are you following the same program?
(Fish) Yeah no, I’m going to go to Sydney again this year. I had gone to Sydney every year except last year. I had some success in Auckland but I do enjoy staying a little bit closer, it’s a much longer flight from here to Auckland. It’s almost seven or eight hours, it’s pretty long and I love Sydney, I love the town and the city and I love the tournament. It’s always hot, it’s always usually good weather there and it gets you well prepared for Melbourne.
Serena, you thanked pretty much everyone else but Mardy, have you made up for that?
(Williams) Yeah, I was like…
(Fish) She didn’t have to thank me.
(Williams) We talked about that, so it’s good. We have a great relationship on and off the court.
Serena, obviously this is a vasty different preparation to the Australian Open last year, how do you feel going in as the defending champion?
(Williams) I’m excited, I’m going in, not as defending champion, but just as a player wanting to win the tournament and that’s how I’ll go into that. I’m excited to have an opportunity.
http://www.hopmancup.com.au/default.aspx?id=713&NewsId=187

Pasta-Na
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:37 AM
yes please and draw agnes/safina in r1 :p

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM
yes, she is playing with Venus. Preparing for the Olympics.

gmokb
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah, she said it, so I am guessing the Williams will be playing doubles. I really hope so, I love to see them play some more doubles. Apart from the fact that its a chance to see more tennis, I also thinks it aids their performances in the singles.