PDA

View Full Version : Kuznetsova Won't Play on National Team: Will Challenge Justine on World No. 1

Helaena
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Kuznetsova Won't Play on National Team
Svetlana Kuznetsova, the No.2 ranked women's tennis player in the world, will not play on the Russian national team against Israel in the first round of the Federation Cup (the women's equivalent of the Davis Cup), Sport Ekspress newspaper reports. She told team captain Shamil Tarpishchev that she will challenge Belgian Justine Henin for first place in the world and the Federation Cup match does not fit her schedule.
Tarpishchev allowed Kuznetsova to miss the match, substituting 15th-ranked Dinara Safina on the team. Maria Sharapova and Anna Chakvetadze will also play on the team. The final lineup of the team will be announced during the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam tournament of the season. The Russian team is the current holder of the Federation Cup.

link: http://www.kommersant.com/p-11847/r_530/tennis/

Ntour
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:46 AM
she can try but i don't thihnk she will be that much of a challenge, i expect her to fall to about no. 5 next year

Tennisstar86
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM
she can try but i don't thihnk she will be that much of a challenge, i expect her to fall to about no. 5 next year

seriously.... good luck with the one kuzi......:help:

dya74
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:04 AM
nice try, Kuzi, but... you'd have more fun in FedCup!

RenaSlam.
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Wow.

faboozadoo15
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:09 AM
:rolleyes: Let's all hate on a girl who wants to step up and challenge Justine.
I'm sure Kuznetsova is more than aware of the fact that she's #2 in the world. If not her, then whom?

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Well Justine's got a big lead in points.

but if we're talking about #1, and not "#1" then :spit: She's about a 3 majors away from that :shrug:, especially the way she performed in her 2 major finals v. Justine :scared::bolt:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:55 AM
If you can't find a better excuse to not play Kuzzie, then play.
That's a lame excuse, seriously.

kittyking
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Kuzi has as much chance being ranked number 1 this year as I do (and I'm a guy, so chances aren't that great!)

pigmalion
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM
:lol:

she is probably the only one who think she can do it though:tape:

jujufreak
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:07 AM
are Serena and Venus the only ones allowed to say they want to get back to N1 :confused:

When you're N2, it's normal you want to give everything to become N1, if Sveta wouldn't believe she could do it, she might as well stop playing tennis... you need goals to keep progressing.

Have a great season Kuzy :kiss: (but not as good as Justine of course :angel: )

Junex
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
^

she could, but as someone above has stated, Its a lame excuse to not play play Fed Cup.

Kuznetsova, even though she is "#2" has a lot more player to contend in staying #2. the rest of the TOP 8 players are closer to her than she is with Justine on ranking points and by the looks of it, these players behind here are more than capable of bludgeoning here. She should not worry about Justine, she needs to worry about the WS, the Serbs and Masha who could very well kick here out of the top 5!

Sveta honey, you should stick on playing in FED Cup, you have a far greater chance in bringing mother russia pride than the 4 GS+Olympics comnbined...

anon57
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
To me, it normal that the #2 ranked player says she wants to do better and try and reach the top of the rankings. If Kuznetsova wants to focus on trying to reach #1, good for her. I'm not sure she's capable of it at the moment but that's something else.
Plus it's up to her to decided whether she wants to play Fed Cup or not. If at this point she wants to focus on her singles play, and therefore doesn't think Fed Cup will fit in her schedule it's her decision.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I see nothing here that justifies any critism towards Svetlana. As has been said before it is right that a player should strive to be the best they can be and I don't see anything wrong in Svetlana doing the things that put her in the best position to achieve that, even if it is a tough ask.

As for missing the Fed Cup, Russia, and thus Russia tennis players, are in a unique position concerning the Davis Cup. Whereas most countries, the US, Serbia, Czech Rep, France etc, sink or swim based on their top players participation, Russia has such depth that there is always going to be another good player to pick up for anyone who doesn't wish to play. Infact it is right, giving all the good players Russia has, that a Russian who has been a fixture on the team for a couple of years, steps back to give other players their opportunity. That is what Nastya did a few years ago after winning a couple of Fed Cups and that is what Svetlana is doing now.

cheo23
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Come On!!!! She's being so UNREALISTIC!!!! MAria, Lindsay, jUstine, Venus and SErenA will kick the hell Out of her butt!!!!!!!!!

MLF
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I can't believe so many people on here criticise players like Svetlana, Serena and Li Na for setting themselves goals and aspirations - it's what motivates them to train no doubt. Are they supposed to just play aimlessly with no real intent of improving their games and positions? It just shows that most people here are most likely armchair fans and have never played competitive sports themselves so therefore can't have a true understanding of the players.

Destiny
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:34 AM
she should be reachin for the stars and trying to achieve her goals
but she can't touch Justine on the number one spot
she's going to go down in ranking
she really should play fed cup

Vlad Tepes
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I can't believe so many people on here criticise players like Svetlana, Serena and Li Na for setting themselves goals and aspirations - it's what motivates them to train no doubt. Are they supposed to just play aimlessly with no real intent of improving their games and positions? It just shows that most people here are most likely armchair fans and have never played competitive sports themselves so therefore can't have a true understanding of the players.

I agree, it would really mean that Sveta has no business being world #2 if she would say "I can't believe I made it so far, I'll just focus on not dropping out of the top 10 next year" :tape:

On the other hand, I don't think even she really believes this, as Justine could get to 7,000+ points by the end of the month. Sveta should watch out behind her - the Serbian duo and the Williams sisters are much more of a menace to her than she is to Justine.

laurie
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I agree, it would really mean that Sveta has no business being world #2 if she would say "I can't believe I made it so far, I'll just focus on not dropping out of the top 10 next year" :tape:

On the other hand, I don't think even she really believes this, as Justine could get to 7,000+ points by the end of the month. Sveta should watch out behind her - the Serbian duo and the Williams sisters are much more of a menace to her than she is to Justine.

Well, the only way to try and stay ahead of the rest of the chasing pack is indeed to aim higher. Psychology. Good luck to her.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM
that means she'll not play for her country and will not be no 1 ,
shame on her ,

A Magicman
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM
That is by far the best one in 2008. :lol::spit:

Lucemferre
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM
:spit:

Matt01
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:27 PM
that means she'll not play for her country and will not be no 1 ,
shame on her ,

Just like Sharapova did last year, right?

LUXXXAS
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:31 PM
:spit:

Filippo-Nastya
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:52 PM
She told team captain Shamil Tarpishchev that she will challenge Belgian Justine Henin for first place in the world

I would like to see how Shamil's reaction was. :lol:

Helaena
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:05 PM
guess she's giving maria a chance to play for their mother russia ;)

Demska
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Sveta beat Henin, Serena and Venus last year. She has big weapons, and possesses skills a lot of the top 10 don't have.

Serenidad.
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I agree that you should have goals in tennis. Someone that has made it to number 2 ranking however undeserving should always be aiming to be higher. The question is does Svetlana honestly believe she can be number 1 and beat Justine, Serena, Venus, etc. on a consistent basis? I doubt it.

I mean if you look at it objectively - She's won a slam, been to other finals, won Tier I, at least beaten the top players once. What else is there to do but push for number 1. Though, sadly, she will come up A FUCKING MILE short.

.Andrew.
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Go Sveta! :kiss:

Helaena
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I would like to see how Shamil's reaction was. :lol:

you just gave us his reaction......" :lol: " or maybe this :tape:

goldenlox
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:18 PM
To get to #1, she needs lots of points. So she better do well in Australia.

Helaena
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:23 PM
you just gave us his reaction......" :lol: " or maybe this :tape:

sorry, i don't mean to be rude....im sure sveta is talented and all but she needs to get her act together....mentally, she has a long long way to go to challenge top players like justine, serena, venus, even lindsay and maria

Bijoux0021
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Sveta beat Henin, Serena and Venus last year. She has big weapons, and possesses skills a lot of the top 10 don't have.
She does have the skills. She just needs to get her head together.

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Mission impossible but it's normal she sets high goals.

tenn_ace
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:28 PM
kill the b*tch for saying this :rolleyes:
seriously, some of you here are pitiful

Paul.be
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:34 PM
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

(Rudyard Kipling)

roelc
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:51 PM
sveta honey :lol:

this reminds me of myskina. and we all know what happened to her...

I wouldn't mind kuzzie reaching #1, but the only way it can happen is if justine would quit tennis today and let her name remove from the rankings
I don't think kuzzie will be #2 for a long time anymore, ivanovic and venus (no points to defend in AO), jankovic and even maria will be knocking on the door

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:15 PM
sveta honey :lol:

this reminds me of myskina. and we all know what happened to her...

Myskina was 700 points behind #1 in the end of 2004 and defeated top-ranked player (Davenport) in straight sets the last two times they played. She was 13-8 vs year-end Top-10 in 2004.
Kuznetsova is 2400 points behind Henin and was destroyed by Justine in their last match. She was 6-12 vs year-end Top-10 in 2007.

But like I said it's normal when second-ranked player believes she can make one step further.

serenus_2k8
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Aww best of luck to her. The more players aiming to topple Henin, the more interesting things wil get! :D

DaMamaJama87
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:35 PM
LOL at Justine's fans making fun of Sveta considering all the lame excuses Justine has pulled over the years for skipping Fed Cup :lol:

Anyone remember the year she said she couldn't play Fed Cup because she "planned on having an injury at that time?" :haha:

Bероника
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:50 PM
:lol: at some of the absurds reactions I've read in this thread.So where is she supposed to set her goals now that she is n2? Going backwards? Now that would be so professional and motivating :rolleyes:

It's time for Sharapova to do something for her country if she really cares.Sveta can take a break this time.I applaud Sveta's decision.She's aiming high this year and I like that.I wish her good luck! Vamos!!!

fleemke
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I think she can do it .. when she plays (too) many matches :)

No Name Face
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM
bitch better focus on staying top 10 :tape:

jujufreak
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:05 PM
LOL at Justine's fans making fun of Sveta

1. not every comment is from a Justine fan
2. not every Justine fan is making fun of her

Yasmine
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:07 PM
exactly!!!
It might not be that realistic, but we'll see how Justine's game turns up this season, and who knows? I like that, and some challenge for the top ranking would do the WTA some good.

Paul.be
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:08 PM
1. not every comment is from a Justine fan
2. not every Justine fan is making fun of her
Right. I was dead serious in my post.

spiritedenergy
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Svetlana, what are you talking about?:smash:

Martian KC
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

(Rudyard Kipling)

I love that quote from the racist.

danieln1
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:34 PM
At least Sveta handed Henin one of the four losses she had last year!

Paul.be
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I love that quote from the racist.
Referring to "White man's burden" perhaps. :)

treufreund
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Sveta should try to be number 1. That is her job:rolleyes: She is gonna have to go through Venus, Serena, Maria and Justine, though so that might not happen.

RenaSlam.
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM
:tape: :tape: :tape:

plantman
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM
To me, it normal that the #2 ranked player says she wants to do better and try and reach the top of the rankings. If Kuznetsova wants to focus on trying to reach #1, good for her. I'm not sure she's capable of it at the moment but that's something else.
Plus it's up to her to decided whether she wants to play Fed Cup or not. If at this point she wants to focus on her singles play, and therefore doesn't think Fed Cup will fit in her schedule it's her decision.

:yeah:

Kart
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Sveta is ranked no.2 right ?

Seems reasonable to aim for no.1

As to whether it's a lame excuse for Fed Cup, who cares :shrug: - it's not like she's never played it.

Brooks.
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:18 PM
never gonna happen... :tape:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Russia should beat Israel anyways :shrug:

what are the odds on Sharapova pulling out ;)

nhissan
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Go Kuzzy show em what you got. I know this girl can beat Justine on clay remember you hear it here first :o

sharapovarulz1
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Well I say good luck to her, go for it Kuzzy :)

sharapovarulz1
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM
what are the odds on Sharapova pulling out

I will bet good money she doesn't pull out :hehehe:

zvonarevarulz
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM
At least Sveta handed Henin one of the four losses she had last year!

So did Bartoli and Lucie Safarova:rolleyes:

And hadnt Justine already played a match against Jankovic that day?

Ninny
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM
LOL at Justine's fans making fun of Sveta considering all the lame excuses Justine has pulled over the years for skipping Fed Cup :lol:

Anyone remember the year she said she couldn't play Fed Cup because she "planned on having an injury at that time?" :haha:

:sad: at you being so bitter :spit: :tape:

LOL @ you hating Justine because you are a Kim fan :haha:

So which one's are the Justine fans?

Tennisstar86
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I agree that you should have goals in tennis. Someone that has made it to number 2 ranking however undeserving should always be aiming to be higher. The question is does Svetlana honestly believe she can be number 1 and beat Justine, Serena, Venus, etc. on a consistent basis? I doubt it.

I mean if you look at it objectively - She's won a slam, been to other finals, won Tier I, at least beaten the top players once. What else is there to do but push for number 1. Though, sadly, she will come up A FUCKING MILE short.

goals? yes.... but maybe she should make them realistic...and you know set them alittle lower like how about winning 2 titles in 08 instead of 1 where there were 3 withdrawals..... like she did last year... or i dont know winning a 2nd major.....

i know all crazy ideas when you can just go straight to being #1.....

Uranus
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM
LOL. No comment.

Donatello
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Justine Venus
and Serena
wish you a warm welcome Sveta !!!

Donatello
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:03 PM
at the top that is

Matt01
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM
So did Bartoli and Lucie Safarova:rolleyes:

And hadnt Justine already played a match against Jankovic that day?

So what? Sveta beat Justine fair and squre.

GoDominique
Jan 19th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Bump.

Tennisstar86
Jan 19th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Bump.

was totally about to do this.... lol :wavey:

Serenidad.
Jan 19th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Kuznetsova is and always will be irrelevant.

DragonFlame
Jan 19th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Bump.

awhhh this is so mean.:lol: poor sveta.

DaMamaJama87
Jan 19th, 2008, 01:12 AM
:sad: at you being so bitter :spit: :tape:

LOL @ you hating Justine because you are a Kim fan :haha:

So which one's are the Justine fans?

Your skillful use of logic slays me :tape:

:help: :lol: :lol: