PDA

View Full Version : Why Serena won't teach Venus 2nd Serve?

Dunlop1
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:43 AM
First of all, didn't they have the same training? Why is Venus's 2nd serve such a mess??

Why is Serena being stingy and not teaching her sister how to hit a kick serve? Or how to place her serve better?

Is it because Venus can hit her first serve harder and Serena is jealous and is like "bitch at least I don't average 6dfs a match lol"?

cozy411
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:01 AM
First of all, didn't they have the same training? Why is Venus's 2nd serve such a mess??

Why is Serena being stingy and not teaching her sister how to hit a kick serve? Or how to place her serve better?

Is it because Venus can hit her first serve harder and Serena is jealous and is like "bitch at least I don't average 6dfs a match lol"?

I don't think stingy is the right word... although her second serve is by far not the greatest, its not the worst. She wouldn't win most matches against the top players if it was a complete mess. A lot of just has to do with confidence though. You have to be willing to gamble often.

AcesHigh
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:12 AM
They have different motions... different serves. Serena has perfect mechanics on her serve and since her motion and technique are great, the second serve comes easily.

venus's form is bad. She has a good first serve but it's not dependable and it can break down easily. When you don't have correct form and you've been using it for 20 years, it's really difficult to change.

Tennisation
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I believe Serena called Venus' first serves "lucky"

tennisbear7
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Serena believes that she and her sister are number one and two in the world, and probably thinks that Venus' game doesn't need twitching.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Why would you give one of your most difficult opponents tips?

CJ07
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Serena got outside help with her serve, because I believe they were originally taught the same motion. That said, Venus has been quoted as saying that her second serve (and forehand, no less) were the biggest things she had to improve...when she was 10.

Neither have become consistently steady and that doesn't bode well for an overhaul at this stage in her career.

tennisbear7
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Why would you give one of your most difficult opponents tips?

Don't they practise together?

Dunlop1
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Seriously, how hard would it be for Serena to teach Venus the kick serve?

It just boggles my mind how Serena can have such a good second serve and Venus's is AWFUL (compared to her sisters)
Richard Williams :weirdo:

Aaron.
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Why wont justine tell everyone how to beat her?

oh wait they beat themselves :(

Dunlop1
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Don't they practise together?

I KNOW!!!

I mean during a practise match after Venus's 50th df, can't Serena just be like "OMG Ho! Toss that ball at 12 oclock and brush up the ball. Damn bitch stop giving away points"

Dunlop1
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Why wont justine tell everyone how to beat her?

oh wait they beat themselves :(

WTH does this have to do with Venus's 2nd serve :weirdo:

Aaron.
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:37 AM
:spit: :haha:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:41 AM
why can't Venus watch Serena do her second serve and try to copy it. Surely after 23 years of practising against each other she would have been able to copy it.

At the end of the day they are both different players and have different techniques.

So Disrespectful
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:43 AM
People think it's so easy to completely change a stroke.

Why do you think Mirza and Krajicek can't hit a kick serve, Hantuchova can't hit a serve over 175km and Elena can't hit a serve?

It's not that they don't try, it's just very hard to change a stroke that you've been using since childhood.

Dunlop1
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:54 AM
People think it's so easy to completely change a stroke.

Why do you think Mirza and Krajicek can't hit a kick serve, Hantuchova can't hit a serve over 175km and Elena can't hit a serve?

It's not that they don't try, it's just very hard to change a stroke that you've been using since childhood.

Umm, these examples aren't the same. Mirza and Krajicek??? No offense but I'm talking a higher talent level here.
Hantuchova can't hit a serve over 175km because of physical constraints. Interesting that you should bring Dani up because SHE can hit a kick serve. I've seen her do it. The technique is there and is very good technique.

Elena was serving well before her injury. Very bad example.

It isn't easy to change a stroke but hard workers do it. Justine is a GREAT example of constantly retooling your serve. She has had about 4 different motions since 2003 (if not more). Always working. That is why at 5foot 5 inches she is serving bigger than 6ft peak Sharapova.

fioredeliberi
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Yah, juju can hit a decent kick serve now besides her second half-slice-half-topspin serve that curves into the body from backhand side. This is OK but has not much net clearance.
When she needs to get in her second serve, she applies more kick on it now.
Ju's willingness to change and experiment is one of reasons why she improves every year, while other players never get beyond their peaks.

So Disrespectful
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Umm, these examples aren't the same. Mirza and Krajicek??? No offense but I'm talking a higher talent level here.
Hantuchova can't hit a serve over 175km because of physical constraints. Interesting that you should bring Dani up because SHE can hit a kick serve. I've seen her do it. The technique is there and is very good technique.

Elena was serving well before her injury. Very bad example.

It isn't easy to change a stroke but hard workers do it. Justine is a GREAT example of constantly retooling your serve. She has had about 4 different motions since 2003 (if not more). Always working. That is why at 5foot 5 inches she is serving bigger than 6ft peak Sharapova.

Look at Elena's ball toss, why hasn't she fixed that?

Hatuchova has the same height and weight as some other hard servers. It's more about shoulder rotation.

Yonexforever
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:07 AM
I have often wondered the same thing, and it has been discussed to death on here.
I sometimes think there might be a physiological problem with Venus(wrist etc), or she simply cant quite get it right so no confidence to try it in matches, and as the years have gone by, it doesnt seem practical as they start winding own their careers.

I also think there might have been an unconcsious effort to not be identical in EVERY aspect of their games.
Venus has had a spectacular career and so has Serena with how they have played so far.
So I think we may just have to accept that Venus will NOT be re-tooling her serve.

laurie
Jan 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I have often wondered the same thing, and it has been discussed to death on here.
I sometimes think there might be a physiological problem with Venus(wrist etc), or she simply cant quite get it right so no confidence to try it in matches, and as the years have gone by, it doesnt seem practical as they start winding own their careers.

I also think there might have been an unconcsious effort to not be identical in EVERY aspect of their games.
Venus has had a spectacular career and so has Serena with how they have played so far.
So I think we may just have to accept that Venus will NOT be re-tooling her serve.

I agree with you, there is almost no point people getting worked up about it, Venus is not going to change now. I'm sure she would love to improve her form on the second serve but it's not easy for her.

There is a recurring theme, every server who has bad form on the serve tend to toss the ball to the right of them before hitting it and the more nevrous they get, the further to the right the ball toss goes, it's quite a big problem these days with many top level women players having this problem. All of the players with the best form and motion toss the ball above their head or slightly to the left.

Craigy
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Serena has to worry about her own game and figure out how to get back to her best.

Destiny
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I KNOW!!!

I mean during a practise match after Venus's 50th df, can't Serena just be like "OMG Ho! Toss that ball at 12 oclock and brush up the ball. Damn bitch stop giving away points"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::tape:

Ntour
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:52 PM
in order for venus to have a good kick serve she would have to completely overhaul her service motion

if you watch closely you'll notice venus lets her right leg come in front of her left one when she pushes off, this makes her right hip come through too soon making a kick serve virtually impossible, also when her hip comes through too soon is usually what causes all those dfs

The Dawntreader
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I bet actually Venus has a great second serve in practice, but i just feel it's a confidence thing in matches more than anything else. Just has too much of a tendency to drop the shoulder too soon, and forces her to slice the serve to the forehand. It's too predictable at times, especially against great returners like Serena and Lindsay.

I dont actually think she needs a kick second serve, just vary her slice serve around the service box more.

50Sense
Jan 6th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I bet actually Venus has a great second serve in practice, but i just feel it's a confidence thing in matches more than anything else. Just has too much of a tendency to drop the shoulder too soon, and forces her to slice the serve to the forehand. It's too predictable at times, especially against great returners like Serena and Lindsay.

I dont actually think she needs a kick second serve, just vary her slice serve around the service box more.

How many times exactly have you seen Venus' second serve in practice?