PDA

View Full Version : Awesome mom Davenport is 18-1 since coming back!

danieln1
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:08 AM
You have to congratulate Lindsay, no one expected this, not even herself! She just shows what a fantastic player she is, pure talent and knowledge of the game! It would be perfect if she didnīt lose to that Serbian player in Beijing last year ( the ball that player threw at/near Lindsay, 5-5 in the second set, threw Lindsay off and she lost those 2 games and the match, I bet she would won that set and the match, like she did in Bali against the same player, anyway...)
So, nice start in 2008 and this is a good sign for the season to come!

Drake1980
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:10 AM
That is so cool!!
:woohoo:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:11 AM
:bowdown: MOMA PRIDE! :bounce:

Mrs. Peel
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:23 AM
She's an amazing woman. An amazing example of the mother-athelete. So glad that she is back!!! :worship:

Wayn77
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Congratulations Lindsay: :yeah:

Good to have you back - wishing you all the best for this season.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:29 AM
You have to congratulate Lindsay, no one expected this, not even herself! She just shows what a fantastic player she is, pure talent and knowledge of the game! It would be perfect if she didnīt lose to that Serbian player in Beijing last year ( the ball that player threw at/near Lindsay, 5-5 in the second set, threw Lindsay off and she lost those 2 games and the match, I bet she would won that set and the match, like she did in Bali against the same player, anyway...)

If you get hit by a ball and lose a match then you deserve to lose a match.
It's difficult to play a player in back-to-back weeks and win both matches anyway.

I expected this from Lindsay.
Her timing has always been the best. She's now the player who hits the flattest on tour, it is difficult to get under shots like that and then to control it.
Only a few players can do that and they're in the top 8 right now.

She's done very well but none of the players besides Jankovic have given her that much trouble before she left for 11 months so, it's really not a surprise.

When she starts beating the players that we all know she has issues with, then that's when I'll really be shocked.

Aaron.
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:30 AM
This is really bad on the Wta I mean Lindsay is a great player but only 1 person has been able to beat her? Lindsay just had a baby for god's sake and shes a little bit overweight not to mention she took a year off from tennis.

but good for her but girls please get it together.

danieln1
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:31 AM
This is really bad on the Wta I mean Lindsay is a great player but only 1 person has been able to beat her? Lindsay just had a baby for god's sake and shes a little bit overweight not to mention she took a year off from tennis.

Although this girl beat Lindsay, don´t forget that Lindsay also beat her the week before! It isn´t bad for the WTA, it´s just Lindsay, who´s a great player!

mboyle
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM

oh my god. She was off tour for one year. Does that mean that anyone in the top 100 should beat her when she was no. 1 the year she left? Aye...

Ackms421
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM
oh my god. She was off tour for one year. Does that mean that anyone in the top 100 should beat her when she was no. 1 the year she left? Aye...

Agreed. This really isn't that surprising. Her results are comparable to those of pre "retirement." It is remarkable that she can compete at this level following a pregnancy, though. But, I wouldn't hold my breath for her to start beating Henin and the Williams'. Though, I am excited to see how she will hold up against them, and the rest of the top 10. While winning these small titles doesn't tell us that, I do think it was smart of her to test the waters in the lower Tiers before jumping right in.

But this (save the pregnancy) has been done before. Hingis and Seles come to mind...They both were very consistent after hiatus, but could never really make a dent against the cream of the crop--at least not when it mattered most...it still boggles my mind that Seles lost to ASV at the FO in 1998. She couldn't catch a break!

LudwigDvorak
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I've given up trying to prove the doubters wrong. Lindsay is just too good. Justine, Serena, Venus, and now Lindsay have all come back from prolonged breaks and returned to the top afterwards.

Keep on keepin' on Lindsay. :)

Babolatpro880
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Although this girl beat Lindsay, donīt forget that Lindsay also beat her the week before! It isnīt bad for the WTA, itīs just Lindsay, whoīs a great player!

"This girl" is number three in the world and has a name. Thanks.

auah5
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Good on Lindsay! Great to hear that she is back!
But she needs to play higher level tournament to compete more with top players.. Sure she can beat those weaker and lower level players easily but I really wanna see whats her true level at the moment when she plays players like Justine Henin, Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova and S. Kuznetsova.
She needs to compete more on Tier 1 and 2 tournament and cut off her Tier 3 tourney because Its more enough for her to get her pace back and she shows all that she is belong to Top 20 now with no doubt.

azmad_88
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Congrats Lindsay

IanRadi
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I'm very happy for Lindsay, but I still want to see if she can hold all this straight victories once she plays big tournaments.

Jakeev
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:20 AM

Lindsay's wins are testament of how much better a player she really is. And considering age is relative these days in tennis, it leaves gives hope to her opponents that they to can have longevity and still be successful.

MagicMilan
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Lindsay is a great girl and a champion :D
But you are a moron :D

allhingis
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Good for her, now keep up these wins at the Australian Open!

serenus_2k8
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Woo congratz, thats very impressive indeed!

St.Sebastian
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:46 PM
*praying that Lindsay doesn't draw Justine in round 1*

Fired
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Her results have been impressive, but she's only played minnie mouse tournaments. We'll see what happens at a tier 2 or above.

Slumpsova
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM
with respect to Lindsay, this stats don't impress me much since she keeps playing on mickey mouse tournaments :o

allhingis
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Beijing is not a minor tournament, and still she did well

A Magicman
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Except for Jankovic she didn't face a serious opponent yet.

But anyway - 18-1 is fine.

serenus_2k8
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Her results have been impressive, but she's only played minnie mouse tournaments. We'll see what happens at a tier 2 or above.

with respect to Lindsay, this stats don't impress me much since she keeps playing on mickey mouse tournaments :o

Its all about building things up though and regaining form and confidence, not just rushing into things and blowing a potentially fantastic comeback!

Slumpsova
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM

erm she lost to Jankovic who later had a crappy fall season (including a lose to Zi Yan) :o

The Daviator
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM
erm she lost to Jankovic who later had a crappy fall season (including a lose to Zi Yan) :o

She beat Jankovic in Bali though :p And I'd say for most 31-year old mothers winning 3 'mickey mouse' tournaments would be quite tough...

Linds will rock the big events though, don't you worry :cool:

MH0861
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Well, of course. But you have to start somewhere and she'll be playing the AO & IW. :)

Still, she has beaten some very good players since she came back - Jankovic & Hantuchova in her first tournament, Dementieva in her second, Zvonareva in her third, so it's not like she's exclusively beating up on like the Julie Ditty's of the tour. :shrug:

I prefer she started her comeback this way so she can gain confidence and get her form back through solid match play and crank up the intensity when she's ready.

Slumpsova
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Well, of course. But you have to start somewhere and she'll be playing the AO & IW. :)

Still, she has beaten some very good players since she came back - Jankovic & Hantuchova in her first tournament, Dementieva in her second, Zvonareva in her third, so it's not like she's exclusively beating up on like the Julie Ditty's of the tour. :shrug:

I prefer she started her comeback this way so she can gain confidence and get her form back through solid match play and crank up the intensity when she's ready.
no need to bash Julie here :p

Vut
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:36 PM
:yeah:

goldlion
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM

This is the first time that I agree with you Tuna.

There is no doubts that Lindsay is a great champion and player. But she needs to take part in at least Tier II tournaments to prove that her come back is strong and competitive enough. That isn't impressive enough I must say. She has got to prove by defeating top players but not players behind the top 50.

Mickey mouse tournaments can't really help her prepare for AO but as warm-up events, no harm done.

Pasta-Na
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
always much easier for big girls to come back like serena, power is very important on wta tour.

sammy01
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:13 PM
i think davenports done it right. she now at least has some matches in the bag for when she plays one of the big girls. i give her more chance of beating the top 8 now than had she played them last year in a comeback event (jankovic excluded).

BMP
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I am so happy for Lindsay and so proud of her! Taking into account ALL the circumstances this is a great result :D

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Before Lindsay went away, I was a semi-fan. Now that she's back, she is one of my favorite players. It is such a joy to see someone SO DEDICATED (rare these days), especially at what her body has been through the past 2 years. On top of that, I really want the Williamses to snatch up the slams this year, but I have to say, Lindsay Davenport more than deserves one to add to her collection. You can see it in her eyes and her body movements, this woman is going to win a slam this year.

ChampLindsay
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Before Lindsay went away, I was a semi-fan. Now that she's back, she is one of my favorite players. It is such a joy to see someone SO DEDICATED (rare these days), especially at what her body has been through the past 2 years. On top of that, I really want the Williamses to snatch up the slams this year, but I have to say, Lindsay Davenport more than deserves one to add to her collection. You can see it in her eyes and her body movements, this woman is going to win a slam this year.

wow:hearts: , i agree 100% especially on the last sentence ,nice written!:worship:

Congratz Lindsay:kiss:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:20 PM
always much easier for big girls to come back like serena, power is very important on wta tour.

Li Na is not a "big girl" and she is doing very well in her own right ;).

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Beautifully said :bounce:.

champion88
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Still, beating Hantuchova, Dementieva, Jankovic & Zvonareva is pretty impressive, even though in lower tier tournaments.

Hopefully she can cause a few upsets at the AO and make it to the quarters at least. Any idea of schedule after AO?

JeLeNaJfAn
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I also agree wiht Tuna, she has only played Bali,Beijing, Quebec and Auckland!:rolleyes:
Ok, in Bali she played great tennis against Jankovic...:worship:

But, it is Lindsay Davenport, sheīs a great player but that she take all these wins, itīs normal!:confused:

Not a surpise

But I wish her all the Best for the AO and for Jagger:hearts:

Slumpsova
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:53 PM
are you saying le petit Na Li is doping that's why she has a smooth come back like those "big girls"? :p

Dave.
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:35 PM
If Lindsay had come back and played the US Open straight away and lost in the 1R, everyone would be saying 'what was she thinking? she should play the lower tiers!' Lindsay wanted to see where her level is and so far she has done very well, beating top players in Jankovic, Hantuchova and Dementieva.

How well she does at the Australian Open depends on her draw. There are 3 or 4 players for me that Lindsay will need to avoid early on (Henin, Serena, Venus and maybe Sharapova). Other than that, Lindsay should be able to handle all these new top players (Chakvetadze, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Bartoli etc.) and show them they've really only been keeping her spot in the top 10 warm while she was away;)

If Lindsay can avoid those 4 players and get into the 4th round/QF, then she will be at her top level, used to the intensity of a slam and by then would be capable of beating anyone and perhaps win the title. Everything depends on her draw to the QF!!

mb011
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:05 PM
You have to congratulate Lindsay, no one expected this, not even herself! She just shows what a fantastic player she is, pure talent and knowledge of the game! It would be perfect if she didn´t lose to that Serbian player in Beijing last year ( the ball that player threw at/near Lindsay, 5-5 in the second set, threw Lindsay off and she lost those 2 games and the match, I bet she would won that set and the match, like she did in Bali against the same player, anyway...)

"that serbian player" is the world number three!! besides jankovic form after toronto was a complete downhill, and still she beat lindsay...

such a sad thread really, why can't you be a fan and not bash other players along the way?

mb011
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
. Other than that, Lindsay should be able to handle all these new top players (Chakvetadze, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Bartoli etc.) and show them they've really only been keeping her spot in the top 10 warm while she was away;)

Everything depends on her draw to the QF!!

wishfull thinking, especially for jankovic, who if she is fit can run like hell, and that is a nightmare for lindsay...

LindsayRulz
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:17 PM

You expected her to play grand slams and tier 1s 3-4 months after her having Jagger?

danieln1
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM
If Lindsay had come back and played the US Open straight away and lost in the 1R, everyone would be saying 'what was she thinking? she should play the lower tiers!' Lindsay wanted to see where her level is and so far she has done very well, beating top players in Jankovic, Hantuchova and Dementieva.

How well she does at the Australian Open depends on her draw. There are 3 or 4 players for me that Lindsay will need to avoid early on (Henin, Serena, Venus and maybe Sharapova). Other than that, Lindsay should be able to handle all these new top players (Chakvetadze, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Bartoli etc.) and show them they've really only been keeping her spot in the top 10 warm while she was away;)

If Lindsay can avoid those 4 players and get into the 4th round/QF, then she will be at her top level, used to the intensity of a slam and by then would be capable of beating anyone and perhaps win the title. Everything depends on her draw to the QF!!

My God, you just read my mind, this is exactly what I think about this tournament regarding Lindsay, letīs hope that she gets a good draw!

Dave.
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:26 PM
wishfull thinking, especially for jankovic, who if she is fit can run like hell, and that is a nightmare for lindsay...

Lindsay leads their H2H 4-1. Jankovic has only been a top player for a year, it will take a huge deal of hard work for Jankovic to repeat that year in 2008, and she's already having injury problems. It's hardly wishful thinking that Lindsay can beat a semi-fit Jankovic. If Jankovic is at her best, their would be a contest.

allhingis
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Lindsay leads their H2H 4-1. Jankovic has only been a top player for a year, it will take a huge deal of hard work for Jankovic to repeat that year in 2008, and she's already having injury problems. It's hardly wishful thinking that Lindsay can beat a semi-fit Jankovic. If Jankovic is at her best, their would be a contest.

Couldnīt agree more, Jelena at her best would give Lindsay trouble, but it would end up losing in the third set

Just Do It
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:50 PM
You have to congratulate Lindsay, no one expected this, not even herself! She just shows what a fantastic player she is, pure talent and knowledge of the game! It would be perfect if she didnīt lose to that Serbian player in Beijing last year ( the ball that player threw at/near Lindsay, 5-5 in the second set, threw Lindsay off and she lost those 2 games and the match, I bet she would won that set and the match, like she did in Bali against the same player, anyway...)So, nice start in 2008 and this is a good sign for the season to come!

WOW that is extremely pathetic. Lindsay lost it, not because of that "incident" she wasnt hurt and jelena did not want to do it. Jelena was just better :shrug:

Get over it :rolleyes:

Vlad Tepes
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:55 PM
There's nothing surprising about it, she only won Tier III tournaments, which really isn't something to write home about. When she starts having these results at the tournaments where top players show up, then it will be really commendable.

jazar
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:04 PM
come on, lets be honest, about 15/16 of those matches havent exactly been against the cream of the crop

cheo23
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:10 PM
There's nothing surprising about it, she only won Tier III tournaments, which really isn't something to write home about. When she starts having these results at the tournaments where top players show up, then it will be really commendable.

And Has Justine Won WIMBLEDON??????????????????????? Get it Together!!!!!!!!!!!

sammy01
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM

on average how many bad reps a week do you get, you can round it to the nearest thousand if it helps? :help::rolleyes:

The Daviator
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM

I think it's pretty commendable to return from a year away, after having given birth, at age 31, to win 3 of her first 4 events, whatever the level :p

gentenaire
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:33 PM

Paula Radcliffe won the NY marathon after having a baby. It's not just in tennis that these things happen. You don't suddenly lose all the talent you had, just because you've been away for a year.

missvarsha
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I think it's pretty commendable to return from a year away, after having given birth, at age 31, to win 3 of her first 4 events, whatever the level

True, but it's not like getting pregnant is the same as being injured. Davenport could have, and evidently remained fit and in condition for the year that she was away.
I suppose her career will go back to what it was for the last five years. She will continue to win handfuls of random hard court tournaments, and continue to lose in the semis of the big ones.

The Daviator
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:01 PM
True, but it's not like getting pregnant is the same as being injured. Davenport could have, and evidently remained fit and in condition for the year that she was away.
I suppose her career will go back to what it was for the last five years. She will continue to win handfuls of random hard court tournaments, and continue to lose in the semis of the big ones.

I know it's not the same as an injury, but a lot of people are saying 'who cares', 'not surprised', etc. but not one single person on this forum would have said she'd win 3/4 events on her return, I can't think of anyone who thought she'd win Bali, so I think we should congratulate her...

Now if she gets back into the top 10-15, and is still whoring Tier IIIs, well then you can criticize her :lol:

Equipped
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:02 PM
come on, lets be honest, about 15/16 of those matches havent exactly been against the cream of the crop

Players Lindsay has beaten since Jagger:

Jankovic
Dementieva
Hantuchova
Zvonareva
Medina Garrigues
Daniilidou (twice)
Vakulenko
Paszek
Wozniak
Rezai
Granville
Foretz
Errani (twice)
Ditty (twice)
Kerber

For a player who GAVE BIRTH last year, I'd say that's PRETTY DAMNED IMPRESSIVE!

LudwigDvorak
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Beating washed up has-beens like Dementieva and Hantuchova is pretty pathetic IMO. The win over Jankovic in her third match back was a fluke. They had to pay Zvonareva to intentionally lose to her so the final would have a big name. :o Oh, all of this after not playing professional tennis in nearly a year and these are just her warm up events.

I don't know why she came back, honestly. :shrug: I doubt she could take a game off of Justine anyway. :rolleyes:

danieln1
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:04 PM

:haha:

Vlad Tepes
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:14 PM

Uhm, you wouldn't happen to be Miss South Carolina, would you? :lol::p

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I think it's pretty commendable to return from a year away, after having given birth, at age 31, to win 3 of her first 4 events, whatever the level :p

Ofcourse it is :lol:. Lindsay knows what she is doing. You have to play yourself back into the tour after coming back from an injury ( or pregnancy ), especialy if your over a certain age:p!

Now, bring on the biggies...the warm-ups are over...SHE IS READY...:bounce:

RenaSlam.
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM

NooOoOO u GeTtTtT iT ToGeTHeRAEREARRARAR!R!@212!@@!!!!@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1111111!!!@!1!111!!!!!!!!@!@@!!@ GodD DaMNiT ChEoOoO!!@#!@!11!!! H8 U!!@!@!!111112

StZox
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:58 PM
It is a bit disrespectful to refer to a player that is number 3 in the world and had a great year as 'that player', don't you think?

Hats off to Lindsay!