PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Davenport def. Aravane Rezai 6-2 6-2

Andrew..
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Lindsay! :bounce:

Title #3 of the comeback.

And she passes Seles on the all-time titles list.

dylan24
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:03 AM
good job davenport
about time someone gave rezai a beating
srebotnik and daniilidou suck too much to do so

Sylvester
:woohoo:

Now reach the second week at Melbourne and if you do that, then everything can happen!

scoobsuk
Lindsay not too far off her destructive best today and Rezai showed flashes of brilliance but a little too inconsistent.

So Disrespectful
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:04 AM
:worship: Lindsay!

Derek.
Nice stuff, Lindsay. :clap2:

Dave.
YEAAAAH! Lindsay is just the best:worship:

LUXXXAS
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:05 AM
congrats Lindsay! :banana:
now time to win Australian Open :D We know YOU CAN DO IT! :rocker2:

Poova
Aravane, that first serve percentage was just crap. :o Too many double faults... a very nervy performance. :sad:

Congrats to Lindsay! :)

Geoffrey91
:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

So easy and cow-ardly Lindsay. You should have played in Gold Coast. However congrats to you !

Aravane :hug: Still a great start but where were your serve and your return ?:rolleyes::confused:

Demska
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM
http://i10.tinypic.com/6wx87c5.jpg

Effy
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM
:woohoo: Linds :bowdown:

kinglear
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I'm extremely happy for Lindsay, and I truly hope these good results she's been having translate into Grand Slam success.:)

St.Sebastian
Well done Lindsay :bowdown:

Congrats on title #54

Wannabeknowitall
I'm happy for Lindsay but honestly :yawn:.

From 2002-2006 she was basically the Tier II queen.

I have to get use to this downgrade.

LDF
Lindsay :woohoo:

Title #54 :yeah:

Rest up for the Australian Open now! Can't wait to see her in action at a Slam again...

Aravane :hug:

Ben.
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Well done Lindsay :yeah: she just keeps on rolling.

Demska
http://i15.tinypic.com/7xty2x0.jpg

Dexter
Well done, Lindsay. I wish she doesn't play Tier IV's anymore though. Time for some real challenge.

Too bad the livestream on bet365 didn't work today. :(

The Daviator
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Just checked the score :eek: Lindsay :worship: Her most emphatic score of the week and it's in the final :hearts:

Now rest up and do some damage in Melbourne :devil:

TennisPlayingFox
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Great job Lindsay! Congrats on title number 54! Nice job!

cometz9
Congrats to Lindsay :banana: Can't wait for Australian Open :drool:

CrossCourt~Rally
What an amazing comeback this has turned out to be :worship:. I truely hope she can win the Aussie Open :bounce:.

dybbuk
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Lindsay :yeah: Time for #55 in Melbourne now. :smoke:

Demska
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:12 AM
http://i10.tinypic.com/81rihk9.jpg

Emmanya
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I'm happy for Lindsay but honestly .

I don't think this is very fair. Lindsay has just come back to tennis, she has to get her ranking back up and even she wasn't to know that she would play so well early on. She's got to start again from somewhere.

Anyway well done lindsay!!! :)

The Daviator
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:13 AM
:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

So easy and cow-ardly Lindsay. You should have played in Gold Coast. However congrats to you !

Aravane :hug: Still a great start but where were your serve and your return ?:rolleyes::confused:

What were you saying yesterday? :devil:

What Tier IIs are on this week? :confused: Quit your complaining and be happy she's even playing, which she wasn't this time last year might I remind you :rolleyes:

Hant11
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:14 AM
congrats lindsay
she will be dangerous for the australian open
a little bit disapointed by the performance of aravane but it's a great week for her

Dave.
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:14 AM
This is Lindsay's first Tier 4 since like 1992. Where else was she supposed to play? Gold Coast? That draw was a joke:o

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:15 AM
NEVER in doubt.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:15 AM
http://i15.tinypic.com/7xty2x0.jpg

Meet me on the clay courts Lindsay.
I'll bring you down to my size.

Lindsayfanumber1
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Linds :drool:
Amazing serve today! :)
Good luck in Melbourne :D

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:17 AM
well done the dav :bigclap:

expected but who cares :shrug: :worship:

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:18 AM

Serena committed Hobart (Tier IV) and Bangalore (Tier IV) last year because of her ranking. She doesn't need to come Bangalore as she already entered Top 10 as soon as she won AO.

That's what Lindsay tries to do. Plus, she has a baby to think about so she doesn't want to play a tournament the week before Grand Slam event ;)

LudwigDvorak
What were you saying yesterday? :devil:

What Tier IIs are on this week? :confused: Quit your complaining and be happy she's even playing, which she wasn't this time last year might I remind you :rolleyes:

:bowdown:

I'm just so happy she's even playing. I'm not thrilled she won, it was expected and all, but it's still one to remember what with the record broken and all. :hearts:

Keep winning titles in '08 Linz. :yeah:

Geoffrey91
I don't think this is very fair. Lindsay has just come back to tennis, she has to get her ranking back up and even she wasn't to know that she would play so well early on. She's got to start again from somewhere.

I don't agree with you ! Lindsay came back last season and trained (I suppose) for 2 months ! She beat Jankovic and other good players. She's ready to play most important tournaments. It's a bit unfair for top 50 - 150players to meet her in first round.

hurricanejeanne
In less than an hour, that's vintage Lindsay! :worship:

I cannot wait for the Australian Open, especially if she gets a decent draw. It's going to so much fun to watch her play a slam again!

Congrats on another perfect week in the comeback, Linds! :hug::bounce:

Demska
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:21 AM
http://i4.tinypic.com/6utsc3s.jpg

Jan 5th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Is her ranking now in the top 50?

The Daviator
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I don't agree with you ! Lindsay came back last season and trained (I suppose) for 2 months ! She beat Jankovic and other good players. She's ready to play most important tournaments. It's a bit unfair for top 50 - 150players to meet her in first round.

Ahem, she is a 50-150 ranked player :) :angel:

vettipooh
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Congrats Linds!! :yippee: Good luck at AO.

Geoffrey91
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:23 AM
What a trophy !

There isn't bigger ? :lol:

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:24 AM
This is Lindsay's first Tier 4 since like 1992.

Indeed, it's the 5th Tier IV Lindsay has played in her career and the first one since 1992. Last Tier IV she played was Indianapolis 1992 with world #11, 13, 14 and 15 as Top four seeds.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:25 AM

This is something you don't seem to get but Lindsay does obviously.
No matter what her ranking is, she still has to beat the best sooner or later, if she wants to come out of this comeback with any big accomplishments like a slam or an Olympic medal.

That's why Lindsay wanted Gold Emeritus Exempt status.
She had the number one ranking and seeding in 2005 and early 2006 and got close but not close enough.

I don't see the reason for her to come back and be the same person.
There's no reason she shouldn't give it her all which would mean actually running, working on her defensive slice which was at it's best in early 2006, and putting back her inside out forehand in her arsenal to open up the court.

You know if she starts now by the time she plays Justine, Justine might be wondering why the Ent is moving like she's on speed.

Geoffrey91
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Ahem, she is a 50-150 ranked player :) :angel:

Maybe but her level isn't a 50-150 ranked player.

LudwigDvorak
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Is her ranking now in the top 50?

http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=12146344&postcount=3

For a more in depth analysis. But it would appear so.

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:27 AM
You said that because you wish Aravane Rezai was the one won the title ;)

She will win a title one day, no worries ;)

Poova
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Lindsay is #52, Aravane #67. :)

The Daviator
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:33 AM
There's no reason she shouldn't give it her all which would mean actually running, working on her defensive slice which was at it's best in early 2006, and putting back her inside out forehand in her arsenal to open up the court.

Wannabe, I know it's hard, but it's time to let go of the slice :hug: It's not coming back.

Wannabeknowitall

Oh no. You heard incorrectly.
Lindsay was working out way into her second trimester almost into the third trimester.
It got to the point that Lindsay was worried because she couldn't feel the baby.
Her doctor had to tell her to lay off on the working out.

Three weeks after having her child, she was back on the court.
She started playing exhibitions and WTT.

She's put a lot of hard work into this comeback but I still would like to see some growth.

I would really like to see the shock and desparation on Justine's face when Lindsay has her down match point and she's not far from there actually but she has to start working on her weaknesses now to get them cleared up by Wimbledon.

Emmanya
This is something you don't seem to get but Lindsay does obviously.
No matter what her ranking is, she still has to beat the best sooner or later, if she wants to come out of this comeback with any big accomplishments like a slam or an Olympic medal.

That's why Lindsay wanted Gold Emeritus Exempt status.
She had the number one ranking and seeding in 2005 and early 2006 and got close but not close enough.

You know if she starts now by the time she plays Justine, Justine might be wondering why the Ent is moving like she's on speed.

Inivetibly (sp) when Lindsay plays the top players she will obviously want to make it as easy as possible for herself. If her ranking remains low then no seeding and the possibility of her having to play 7 matches against 7 tough seeded competitors - each one taking a little bit more out of her and weakening her chances in the next match against the next tough opponent. The luxury players like Henin etc will have next week in the slams is the likely prospect of a couple of very easy early rounds - Lindsay does not have that prospect right now.

She is just easing back into it. The real test will be at the AO for sure.

Elldee
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:40 AM
At Wimbledon '05 Lindsay ran. When a point is really important, Lindsay runs. And I don't understand the issue with Lindsay's slice; is it the quality of it? because the frequency can't be in doubt because she uses it more than once a game, as shown in the last game of the Paszek match [which is the only game i saw] where she did some nice scrambling.

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Well done Lindsay! :D :worship:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Inivetibly (sp) when Lindsay plays the top players she will obviously want to make it as easy as possible for herself. If her ranking remains low then no seeding and the possibility of her having to play 7 matches against 7 tough seeded competitors - each one taking a little bit more out of her and weakening her chances in the next match against the next tough opponent. The luxury players like Henin etc will have next week in the slams is the likely prospect of a couple of very easy early rounds - Lindsay does not have that prospect right now.

She is just easing back into it. The real test will be at the AO for sure.

You're right but not with the right thought process.
Players like Venus, Serena, Sharapova and Justine are actually a bit easier to play earlier on in a tournament than later on. They're not as focused.
Martina Hingis will attest to that.

You do not want to play Justine in a slam quarterfinal where she's 16-1 career wise.

In Lindsay's case, she can beat the players outside of the top 15.
It's those 4 players in the top 10 that she's worried about.

Beat either of those 4 players early OR beat Kuzzie or Jankovic.
She now has their easy portion of the draw.

RJWCapriati
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:46 AM
:worship::worship::worship:

Matt01
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Considering that this was only her 4th tourney after her stellar comeback and that she probably wanted to get some match practice, I think it was okay for her to play a Tier IV.
She should turn towards the bigger tourneys now, though, which she will obviously do at AO and in IW, so from now on no more Tier IV's, please...

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:48 AM
At Wimbledon '05 Lindsay ran. When a point is really important, Lindsay runs. And I don't understand the issue with Lindsay's slice; is it the quality of it? because the frequency can't be in doubt because she uses it more than once a game, as shown in the last game of the Paszek match [which is the only game i saw] where she did some nice scrambling.

Yes. In her three slam victories and her almost slam victory Lindsay ran as much as she ever did in a match.
That's not going to work anymore.
She's got to keep the pressure on and make some of these top players feel like they're suffocating on the tennis court.

It's just not a good slice and she had a beautiful slice in early 2006 where there was a nice bite to it.
She even hit a beautiful slice drop shot against Justine at the Australian.
Not even she could get to it.

She needs to open up the court because the older players are anticipating her every move now.

Drake1980
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:49 AM

The Daviator
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:55 AM
With this win Lindsay has now won titles on all levels :hearts: :worship:

Grand Slam
Olympics
YEC
Tier I
Tier II
Tier III
Tier IV
Fed Cup
Hopman Cup

roelc
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM

Grand Slam
Olympics
YEC
Tier I
Tier II
Tier III
Tier IV
Fed Cup
Hopman Cup

aren't there tierV's too?
forest hills p.e.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:03 AM

Grand Slam
Olympics
YEC
Tier I
Tier II
Tier III
Tier IV
Fed Cup
Hopman Cup

All levels existing at this point in time.

A far as I know she's never won a Tier V tournament.
Although it's probably something a player of her caliber wouldn't be proud of anyway.

Chance
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Very impressive... Hate to see her play a top 10 player in the first round.

Matt01
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:05 AM
aren't there tierV's too?

Abolished now.

danieln1
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:10 AM
This is so great news after the Martina shock today...
Good luck in the draws in 2008 Lindsay!!!

Tennisstar86
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Very impressive... Hate to see her play a top 10 player in the first round.

depends who it is... rather see her play chakvedatski or hantuchova in the 1rst round and knock those scrubs out than see her run into Venus/ serena/ Henin/ Jankovic in the 3rd...

LindsayRulz
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:22 AM
http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/500/29e5fba5ff03c0bfc84500180945dbfb-getty-78622707hj001_asb_classic_d.jpg
http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/500/d3f9dacf25509b1d1ba49c129df994e9-getty-78622707hj003_asb_classic_d.jpg

felipe2004
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:26 AM
I hope Justine doesn't have to face her in 1st round! :scared:

roelc
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I do hope she meets a top-player in an early round. otherwise we always have to wait till the QF's to have an interesting match-up
but not against daniela please

AcesHigh
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Wow.. congrats Lindsay.

I don't think anyone could have expected this. A true champion.. and one of the best of this generation, despite the 3 slams that don't show how great you are!

azmad_88
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Way to Go Linz!!

Miranda
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:10 AM
:bounce::lol::worship:

Lindsayfan32
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Lindsay can only defend her title next year if she isn't in the top ten as players in the top ten can't play anything lower than a tier 3 and I have feeling even with a limited schedule she could be back in the top ten by the end of the year. Title 54 Auckland. Title 55 Australian open.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:40 AM
wo0o0o :banana:

missvarsha
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:43 AM
The Tier 4 trawl continues. Yay ?

Harju.
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Congrats Linds :)
Never in doubt. Hopefully she'd get a good draw at AO.

Ferosh
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Congratulations, Lindsay! I really hope something special happens in Melbourne.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Well done Lindsay!:D

Win AO now!:rocker2:

ninanina19
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM
What will her ranking be now?

Pasta-Na
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:43 AM
sorry, i have to say, u big mama :yeah: :lol:

Michael!
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Congratulations Lindsay! :hearts:
6-2,6-2 amazing scoreline, and no break for Aravane, great!
3rd title in her 4th tournament, there´s nothing more to say! ;)

haku
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Lindsay :worship:
can't wait to see her in Melbourne

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Aravane :( Great start to the year though, no shame in losing to Lindsay. The reality is there's far too big a difference in serving ability between these 2 and it showed.

Congrats on the title Lindsay! :hearts: Do well in Melbourne. :kiss: Hell, win the whole thing.

.:sk:.
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Aravane :sad: :hug:

cardio
Jan 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
video is here
http://ee.meie.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=f1482ad40ed38375b3f3

Highlandman
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Aravane! :sad: :sad: Congrats Lindsay. Very strong & still great event for Aravane.

Maajken
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Lindsay :eek: :bounce:

améliemomo
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM
well,expected a better score but great week for aravane though.Never been consistent enough to threaten lindsay.
She will improve her ranking and thats good:)

congrats to lindsay,still have this huge serve that caused many damages IN the past.Great quality.:yeah:

LeChuck
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Linday rocks. Well done to her for winning yet another title. She has won 18 matches out of 19 since her comeback. On a side note, in my opinion Auckland is a better tournament than most Tier III events, and even several Tier II ones.

lindsayno1
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Awesome!!! This should do her confidence good for Melbourne! Hope for a good draw!

-Sonic-
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:36 AM
If I was on a comeback like Lindsay's, the idea of facing a top ranked player when I wasn't 100% in the swing of things would not appeal to me - it'd be a waste time and money. She's played a handful of matches, and hasn't had a competitive match for months.

Now, she's beaten Dementieva, Jankovic and Hantuchova since her comeback. She's now got some 2008 matches under her belt. This will surely be her last tier 4. Maybe one or two tier 3's left, then it'll be top tournaments, beating top players, winning top titles :) Patience!

cheo23
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
video is here
http://ee.meie.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=f1482ad40ed38375b3f3

Thank You!!!!!!!:wavey:

sonnys
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Good Job Davenport:worship:

ce
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
expected
but so easy :eek:
seed who gets Davenport in r1 in ao :scared:

gmak
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
oh yeah Lindsay :D :worship: :woohoo:

now it's Melbourne time :devil:

shirley
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Congratulations Lindsay! http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pconfetti.gif

*Jool*
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:24 PM
cool :)

now deal with th ebig guns , too, Lindsay ! :yeah: good luck in Melbourne !

Aravane , great week ... congrats girl (beating two of my faves :p )

Nikki
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Congrats Lindsay, now carry it on in the AO:worship:

Filippo-Nastya
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Congrats Lindsay, title #54! :eek: :worship:

.Andrew.
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Lindsay :worship:
Keep on going, good luck at the AO! :banana:
Hopefully she gets none of my favorites early. :unsure: :o

BartoliBabes
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
there was no doubt in my mind that lindsay would win, but aravane has made big steps this week. well done girls!

Wolverines08
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Linds is going to do very well...hitting the ball so hard, crisp, and clean...and she was trackinf down balls that she used to would never go for...Go Lindsay

serena_fan
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM
:worship: Well done Lindsay :worship: