PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams invented a new form of backhand

Sam L
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:38 AM
According to Navratilova during the Hopman Cup final mixed doubles match.

For those that saw it, did you see her two-handed backhand volleys?

This is an entirely new way to volley with the two-handed backhand.

RenaSlam.
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:40 AM
My god, I was about to throw my remote at the fucking T.V.

Navratilova is YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP...nothing constructive to say.

Ackms421
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I didn't see it, but I've seen two-handed backhand volleys before. What was unique about this one?

So Disrespectful
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I didn't see it, but I've seen two-handed backhand volleys before. What was unique about this one?

She hooked it crosscourt. :shrug:

I'm sure it's been done hundreds of times, even by club players.

tennisbear7
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Er, no, Nav didn't say that she invented a new volley. Louise Pleming did, and she doesn't know anything about tennis.

It was basically a swinging double-fisted backhand roll cross-court off a relatively low ball. Many people have done that before.

tennisbear7
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:47 AM
My god, I was about to throw my remote at the fucking T.V.

Navratilova is YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP...nothing constructive to say.

Nav basically was praising Serena the whole way for her tennis prowess, but when it came to Alicia, Nav came down like a tonne of bricks. It was funny, because the Australian commentators kept praising her and saying shit about the top ten, but Nav highlighted every single flaw in Alicia's game. E.g. her inability to hit a flat backhand.

So Disrespectful
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Serena did invent the swinging double-handed forehand drop-volley though. :hearts:

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Fabrice Santoro? :p :worship:

So Disrespectful
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Fabrice Santoro? :p :worship:

Believe me, this was a fluke shot that can never be reproduced :lol:

Fab :worship:

davidmario
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:41 AM
kveta peschke volleys with a two-handed backhand pretty often

danieln1
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:45 AM
She was returning double handed forehands at sometimes, and even volleying with both hands, imagine if she changed to double-hander both sides?? It would be great! :cool:

jdyshrky
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Think swing volley. Think only one player. Think Venus Williams.

Craigy
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Serena did invent the swinging double-handed forehand drop-volley though. :hearts:

I loved that. :lol:

Paris Hilton
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:47 AM
WTF. :weirdo:

:haha:

So Disrespectful
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I loved that. :lol:

And then she smiled like it wasn't intentional :rolleyes:

Ackms421
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:14 AM
She never hits a mis-hit winner. It's all exactly as she has foreseen it. ;)

Experimentee
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Nav basically was praising Serena the whole way for her tennis prowess, but when it came to Alicia, Nav came down like a tonne of bricks. It was funny, because the Australian commentators kept praising her and saying shit about the top ten, but Nav highlighted every single flaw in Alicia's game. E.g. her inability to hit a flat backhand.

Funny every time I hear Nav commentating on Alicia's match she is always overtly praising her and being incredibily biased. She obviously loves Alicia. She thinks Alicia's serve is the best in the world.

tennisbear7
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Funny every time I hear Nav commentating on Alicia's match she is always overtly praising her and being incredibily biased. She obviously loves Alicia. She thinks Alicia's serve is the best in the world.

Well, Nav was criticising her technique on both forehand and backhand this time.

Serenidad.
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:59 AM
It isn't Martina's fault Alicia sucks? She'll never be top 10 again with that backhand/movement.

rrfnpump
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Ivana Lisjak does that since the beginning of her career. I've seen her several times already and always have to laugh when she hits volleys with the backhand swing (especially when the volleys come like 1mm over the net :o) She does so, because she is not able to hit a normal volley. :p