PDA

View Full Version : How do you think the Hingis legacy will be affected by her ban?

jdyshrky
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:07 PM
How do you think the Hingis legacy will be affected by her ban?

We should not underestimate the impact this ban will have on Hingis' career not only in the future, or lack of, but more importantly the retrospective effects.

I for one found the accusations very difficult to believe but these things very rarely happen by accident and especially to what is seen as probably the tour's most professional and well respected players. For all that we bitch about Martina on here over the years in the tennis community and the general public she is one of the few players that is given universal praise for their style of play and wholesomeness.

I'm sure she thought the lows of her career were the famous FO final and those AO moments when the Slam was so near but snatched from her. They indeed were low moments that we can even pass off as almost humorous today and even with joking aside, moments when she was probably the best player on the planet for a set and a bit. And making the comeback should have been the final chapter in her career, showing that she can still make an impact 10 years on from her finest tennis.

For me at least and certainly for the acutely aware Hingis although she would never openly admit it, this legacy is now categorically corrupted.

Reasons why she might have taken cocaine are irrelevant. Whether she took it recreationally in a club toilet or took it to gain competitive advantage, someone in her position shouldn't be stupid, that's right, stupid enough to get caught. She should be all too aware of the consequences and the rigorous testing procedures that take place which brings us back to the question of how on earth can Hingis have tested positive for drugs? How did she think she would get away with it? Was she allowed to get away with it in the past due to her reputation, is she an example? Is she being set up? I find it all totally incomprehensible.

It is the single worst thing she could have done. Tennis players rely on their post playing career as tennis commentators, even Boris Becker was welcomed back after the broom cupboard incident, but that was nothing to do with tennis. He still had the legacy, the glowing credentials of his on court ability, his natural raw talent. Who wants advice on the game from Hingis, what television executive is going to be the first to test public reaction to her and put his neck on the line? Will adidas stand by her like they did in her retirement? Will she be invited to exhibitions? The Tennis Hall of Fame?

These are the things that must be going through Hingis' mind right now. Frankly, if she was guilty it would be a hell of a lot easier for her to swallow, to imagine being innocent in her situation is just unthinkable.

danieln1
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Of course not, not even an possibility... First, because this doping thing ocurred 8 years past her prime, and she was one of the most talented players that ever appeared, it´s not everyone that can spend more than 200 weeks as the number 1 player

mdterp01
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:20 PM
No matter how positively one tries to spin it, its just not good that this is going to be what people remember about the end of her career. In addition, with all the steroid and drug scandals in football, track and field, and baseball, and all the liars that have come from it, many people are going to have a hard time believing she didn't take it. Her achievements cannot be denied, and since this cocaine allegation came at a time in her career where no one really considered her a major threat to ever win a grand slam title again, it may not be so bad. But, her legacy is DEFINITELY affected by this. How much remains to be seen.

Billabong
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:47 PM
It doesn't ruin her career achievements, because everything she has achieved was way before the positive test (it's fair to say she achieved nothing after Wimbledon, right;)), even her last title was months before Wimbledon, so all those things will and should stay intact, as she passed hundreds of negative tests throughout her career until July 07. However, her image and reputation will be marked forever because of these accusations, that's for sure. A lot of people will unfortunately only remember those things about her...

Greenout
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Right now - not good, but after the ban is over and a tennis show or network hires her things will be seen in a less controversial sports environment. There's simply too much going on with Baseball, the Olympics etc.... They're lumping everything into one bad mark on sports- period.

Unfortunately, it will depend on :tape: what happens next in tennis that is "Shocking". If nothing really happens, the Martina's incident will be remembered.

Pasta-Na
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:58 PM
hingis :hug:

thrust
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Whether she used cocaine or not, the fact is it did not help her tennis results. If anything it probably hurt her tennis, therefore, her tennis accomplishments should not be diminished by the cocaine incident. As for endorsements and tennis commentary, that could still come in time. If not, I am sure Hingis has lots of money to lead a very comfortable life.

goldenlox
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:01 AM
They are plenty of stories about the Gerulitas era and cocaine. I don't think it affected any of their legacies.

Max565
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Of course this thing tarnishes her lecacy... but time will heal a lot of the damage...

Steffica Greles
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM
What legacy?

Hingis was nothing more than a good player. She was a great player for one year, a decade ago, as a sixteen year-old. After that, she was pushed back.

Very few players leave legacies, so that's nothing for Hingis to hang her head over.

The only players who have left legacies were Navratilova, Evert, King, Seles, Graf, Connolly, Court, Lenglen, Wills-Moody, all for different reasons, and maybe a few others. Venus and Serena.

But c'mon now, what legacy?

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Let's see.
She will get into the Hall of Fame without a doubt.
She was never that big of a name in America to begin with and many part of Europe could care less what Hingis did, she's still their Swiss Miss.

She already retired and took her name off the wta rankings a month ago.
They're banning someone who realized by mid 2007 that she didn't have one more slam in her anyway. :lol:

How retarded does that sound?

Her legacy was complete in 2002.
6 straight Australian Open finals. One win away in 1997 from winning a calendar and career slam.
One of the craftiest players ever seen on any tennis tour. An absolutely amazing net player.
She didn't even need a Olympic medal or play for her country nationalistically (Olympics, FED CUP) for them to love her.

Justine might win two Olympic golds and half of Belgium would go, well it's not like Kim winning that US Open. :lol:

She's fine and she never cared.
I knew Hingis was coming back even before she started practicing.
You know why?
She brought that ugly picture from auction that Mauresmo and other players painted for charity.
You could tell she missed the game then.
She missed the game and she missed her fans. She wanted that feeling back again.

AND SHE DIDN'T NEED COCAINE TO GET IT!!! AND SHE DIDN'T DO IT!!!

Hingis' real fans will stand by her. Haters were waiting for this since she came back to the game. So go ahead and hate because it won't take away any of her accomplishments in the end.

mboyle
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:24 AM
First of all, she's probably innocent.

Second, even if she's not, Cocaine is a recreational drug, not a performance drug. Maybe people will think she's a crack addict, but that would make her results more impressive, IMO.

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:39 AM
She didn't even need a Olympic medal or play for her country nationalistically (Olympics, FED CUP) for them to love her.

To be fair, Martina elevated Switzerland team from Europe/Africa zone to Fed Cup final. She won all her singles rubbers in 1998 uncluding two matches in the final vs Spain. Too pity Schnyder lost both her rubbers to Sanchez and Martinez in three sets...

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:45 AM
To be fair, Martina elevated Switzerland team from Europe/Africa zone to Fed Cup final. She won all her singles rubbers in 1998 uncluding two matches in the final vs Spain. Too pity Schnyder lost both her rubbers to Sanchez and Martinez in three sets...

I know that.
Are we on the same team here?

I'm trying to show that Hingis is loved without all the things that other players need for an legacy.
One good result at FED CUP does not equal the same that other players of her caliber and in her generation have done in sacrifices just for their country, just so they can be adored.

Ackms421
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:59 AM
It doesn't change her accomplishments at all. But, I don't think she would have retired if she hadn't gotten caught (assuming she did it) and I do believe, without a doubt, that it puts a black cloud over her. Gerulitis is rumored to have done cocaine, but he wasn't forced out of the sport because of it.

Yeah, this left a bad taste in my mouth about Hingis. I do believe she is the most talented ever to play the game. She played, really, the way it was meant to be played. But, she was lazy and 85 mph serves ain't gonna win you anything. If she had worked a little (a lot?) harder, she'd still be threatening for slams today and none of this would have ever happened. I am not pleased that she snorted some coc and had to hang it all up again so abruptly. She'd have done better to stay away altogether.

kinglear
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I'll always view her as one of the best players. I don't think her legacy will be affected. She's always been controversial, plus it's not as if cocaine is a performance-enhancment drug. haha If it was, it obviously didn't work for Hingis. :rolleyes: But since she doesn't seem interested in tennis anyway, I think that she will remain retired.

barmaid
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Yes, the Hingis legacy will be affected..how could it not? But for one stupid erroneous moment somehow she got cocaine in her system. After her vehemently denying ever taking drugs I'd like to see her fight this....but then again...what would she gain? She retired....her legacy is intact:worship:....she was one of the "glamor gals" of her decade.:kiss:..one of the smartest tennis players who exhibited unique skills no one could duplicate....along with a sparkling personality she "shone" among the greats.:kiss:..she had some great rivalries with the Williams sisters and they exchanged some classic matches.:bounce:...she also enjoyed great doubles success but regardless of this ban....it was to herself she inflicted this crime:sad: we can only hope she will find a new man in her life...settle down have kids and only reflect on the good times Martina...thanks for the memories!:hearts::worship:

barmaid:wavey:

kinglear
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Yes, the Hingis legacy will be affected..how could it not? But for one stupid erroneous moment somehow she got cocaine in her system. After her vehemently denying ever taking drugs I'd like to see her fight this....but then again...what would she gain? She retired....her legacy is intact:worship:....she was one of the "glamor gals" of her decade.:kiss:..one of the smartest tennis players who exhibited unique skills no one could duplicate....along with a sparkling personality she "shone" among the greats.:kiss:..she had some great rivalries with the Williams sisters and they exchanged some classic matches.:bounce:...she also enjoyed great doubles success but regardless of this ban....it was to herself she inflicted this crime:sad: we can only hope she will find a new man in her life...settle down have kids and only reflect on the good times Martina...thanks for the memories!:hearts::worship:

barmaid:wavey:

Exactly, it's not like she used drugs to cheat. Cheating is a worse offense. Marion Jones is an example of a legacy being not just affected, but destroyed. Most people won't think any less of her talent and legacy.

Volcana
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Hmmmmm .. legacy ....

Ultimately, not that big a deal. She won her last slam EIGHT years ago. That's almost TWO tennis lifetimes. Probably cost her some endorsement money. But she's HoF no mater what.

Take it from somebody who's played sports on coke. It HURTS performance, it doesn't help.

Ackms421
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I don't think anyone's saying it enhanced her performance, but it does hurt the memory of her. As far as what will be remembered, I think exiled from the sport after returning from retirement because of a positive cocaine test ranks right up there with youngest ever #1...

Rachel_
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Yes of course it will Drug ban dosent help anybodies CV - it wil probably stop her from getting commentary and presenting jobs too which would be a shame!!

Im in partial agreement with Steffica Greles and Volcana....her legacy isn't all that anyway !!

I mean she dominated for about 18 months and cleaned up real well in that time and one one slam thereafter 5 slams is very good...but legend status...were talking at least 6 or 7 or 5 slams that were spread over different eras.

but Hingis has not been one of the top top players since 2002 and even then she wasn't winning slams.

Paneru
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Inside the tennis world, it won't be affected.
Outside the tennis world, it will be, but to
what degree is the real question.

IMO, it won't be affected too much because as
everyone said, her prime is some eight years
past and nearly every accomplishment but one
or two came long before her return.

Max565
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Well, so far, I have read countless articles and quotes saying that she was 'one of the all-time greats'. I dunno if I agree with that 100% but I do know that Hingis did/does have a legacy. She's the youngest No.1 player and also the youngest Wimbledon winner of the Open Era with her win in doubles in 96. I'll just be happy if in fifty years time, people will still vividly remember who Hingis was if they heard her name being mentioned in commentary.

pooh14
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:33 AM
hingis's name will forever be associated with cocaine.
however, that does not at all tarnish her legacy as a great player, because all this were achieve from 96-2002, and then 2006.

saki
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:39 AM
There will always be some people who will assume that she's guilty just because they're like that. But, logically, it shouldn't affect her legacy.

Firstly, I really don't think that she did it. The ITF would have been more than happy to hush it up if she agreed to retire. They don't like this negative publicity either. It's semi-obvious that this has happened in the past with other players. The way that it came out, it seemed like Hingis was the one bringing it into the open herself. She wouldn't do that if she didn't know herself to be innocent.

And, secondly, cocaine is totally not performance enhancing anyway.

Ackms421
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:44 AM
There will always be some people who will assume that she's guilty just because they're like that. But, logically, it shouldn't affect her legacy.

Firstly, I really don't think that she did it. The ITF would have been more than happy to hush it up if she agreed to retire. They don't like this negative publicity either. It's semi-obvious that this has happened in the past with other players. The way that it came out, it seemed like Hingis was the one bringing it into the open herself. She wouldn't do that if she didn't know herself to be innocent.
And, secondly, cocaine is totally not performance enhancing anyway.

Untrue. Hingis is brilliant. If she waited for it to come out, not on her own terms, she'd have looked guiltier than she does. She came out and made it known on her own terms so that people might believe just what you said. An innocent player wouldn't have retired, IMO.

kinglear
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Yes of course it will Drug ban dosent help anybodies CV - it wil probably stop her from getting commentary and presenting jobs too which would be a shame!!

Im in partial agreement with Steffica Greles and Volcana....her legacy isn't all that anyway !!

I mean she dominated for about 18 months and cleaned up real well in that time and one one slam thereafter 5 slams is very good...but legend status...were talking at least 6 or 7 or 5 slams that were spread over different eras.

but Hingis has not been one of the top top players since 2002 and even then she wasn't winning slams.

True, but don't you think a player like Lindsay Davenport is a legend in her own way even though she only has three slams, but has won most everything else many times over. I don't think players have to be Steffi Graff or Seles to be legends.

Chance
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Do her fans regret her coming back?

She shouldn't have quit, she should have fought, but in my books she will always be a GREAT player who didn't want improve her game.

Ryan
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I wont talk about Hingis' innocence or guilt here, because I dont think it's really that important in this case.

Will her legacy be affected? You dont have to be Steffi or Navratilova to have a legacy, I think all tennis players leave their stamp on the tennis world and how/why they are remembered is indeed a legacy. I dont think this will have a huge impact, honestly. She's still guaranteed a HOF spot, she has the respect and (at least outward) support of most of tennis' important people, and only idiots will say that this allegation tarnishes her Slam wins and other results.

The bottom line is that the sporting world, like SI and ESPN, will associate her with cocaine. Is that really a big deal? Like other's have mentioned here, Martina isn't a big name in American sports and even with this ban she wont be talked about that often. In the tennis world only the people who are jealous of Hingis or never liked her will label her as a cheater - every sensible tennis fan, player, and analyst will respect that she was a great player, brought a lot to the sport, and ended her career in a tragic fashion by possibly taking cocaine.

The two year ban by the way, is a joke. Hingis retired and took all the sting out of a potential ban so they look absolutely stupid punishing a retired player. IMO it reeks of bitterness - Hingis spoke out about the tests, challenged their validity, and retired - this is just a formality because they have nothing else to do.

jdyshrky
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:11 AM
It's really interesting that the majority of people on here feel that her legacy will remain in tact. I guess I could have asked whether or not you feel that her 'reputation' would be affected but that's a little too obvious.

Let's be clear, I love Hingis. She is probably the one player I've watched most in my life as well, she was a top player for as long as she was about and always caught the scheduling. I think she was a great player, I share some of the sentiment of Steffica Greles but not to the same degree. A player does not win five slams for not being a champion. I appreciate Steffica Greles speaks in jest but all the same, Martina was right up there.

I'm just surprised more people don't feel that she has pretty much ruined her name in the game. I think we differ in that many people separate the early period of her career and the now. Maybe I'm too conservative or traditional but I look at a player's career as a whole. I guess it's the way I judge people in general. There are black marks against Hingis' name. She has been banned for two years, that's a pretty hefty sentence to pay. In my eyes regardless of whether she took drugs that bear such heavy consequences when she was in her prime or in the fall of her career she has jeopardized her name as a champion. The fact she retired in almost a sense of shame has nothing to alleviate the controversy.

Nice response. Woo!

jdyshrky
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I'm not an idiot am I?