PDA

View Full Version : Asians put up hand for grand slam

Marcell
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Asians put up hand for grand slam

THE maverick Asian Tennis Federation is threatening to push for its own grand slam tournament because of growing dissatisfaction with treatment by the organisers of the Australian Open. The Melbourne cash cow has been marketed since 2003 as the grand slam of Asia Pacific.

Money, predictably, is at the root of the stand-off, in which the Asian federation is refusing to sign a new memorandum of understanding that Australian Open organisers had hoped to secure by the end of the month. Wildcards have been another cause for complaint; Asia currently is allocated only one for each singles draw.

Asian federation president Anil Khanna said this week from Doha that "Australia had not really understood the feeling of the Asian nations". He accused the Australian Open of failing to fulfil its part of the current memorandum, which is due to expire at the end of 2008.

"We see Asia almost as equal partners in terms of the continent as Australia and we feel all the continents should work together and can co-operate very well together and we can help each other in building up tennis, but obviously we need to have equal terms," Khanna said, adding that if no agreement could be reached, "then maybe Asia should aspire to have its own grand slam at some time.

"I would not put a time-frame to it, but I think the aspiration of the people is there, the money power is there, the desire to do so is there in a number of countries in Asia, not one. The players will definitely want that to happen sometime because the players definitely would want a large amount of money coming into tennis. I think a grand slam in Asia will be extremely welcome."

Asked if he was advocating a fifth slam, Khanna said: "Well, I would love to see if we could have a fifth slam. Maybe it's a dream, maybe it will come some time if the players want it. It could be rotated between nations. It could be an Asian slam."

In October, the Asian federation's vice-president Chaiyapak Siriwat called on the Association of Tennis Professionals to increase the quota of Asian players in tour events on the continent. He threatened to establish a rebel circuit if that and other demands — such as Asian-only Challenger tournaments — were not met.

The latest claim, for an Asian grand slam, also appears to be a bluff; perhaps Khanna has used the opportunity to press for a greater share of the Australian Open's profits to, he insists, aid player development.

"All the people in Asia look at the Australian Open as their grand slam, but we get only one wildcard," Siriwat said. "What are they doing for Asian tennis? What kind of development is this? We have the money, we have a big population. If we make a pact, we can do it on our own."

Tennis Australia chief executive Steve Wood yesterday described Australia's commitment to Asia as "more serious than ever", citing such initiatives as the wildcards, coaching assistance, the Asian ballkids program, and its relationship with major sponsor Kia Motors.

Talk of more slams is not new. Romanian promoter Ion Tiriac has told the International Tennis Federation he wants to create more majors, while French Tennis Federation boss Christian Bimes fears "that if we don't make progress, there will one day be a fifth grand slam event in Asia and possibly a sixth in Europe". "The losers would be the French Open and Wimbledon," he said. "We want to avoid that at any cost."

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:47 PM
cant see turkeys voting for Xmas, can you ???

Miami tried it all in 85 and it got put in its place quick.

Grand Slam Committee not gonna let it happen.

alwayshingis
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Boo. I disagree.

We should only have 4 slams, any more gets excessive and makes a slam title worth less if there are too many. Also, a new 5th slam would be much less respected by the players and many would not take it as seriously (like the AO in the past).

Australia should not have to feel obligated to give WCs to Asian players as the tournament is not hosted by anyone other than Australia, regardless of how you market it. That is like if the Canadian federation complained about not getting USO WCs. They do not host the event.

What they should do is make the Beijing event the biggest non-slam event. It should have the distinction that Miami currently holds.

goldenlox
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM
It's the same thing as with Tiriac and Madrid.
The ITF is like NFL owners. They won't allow a new major.

But the WTA and ATP can let China and Madrid have ultra big 2 week tournaments. And give slam points.
They have the money, so negotiate with them.

"I would not put a time-frame to it, but I think the aspiration of the people is there, the money power is there, the desire to do so is there in a number of countries in Asia, not one. The players will definitely want that to happen sometime because the players definitely would want a large amount of money coming into tennis. I think a grand slam in Asia will be extremely welcome."

Tennisation
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I knew there was a bigger underlying reason why Venus whored the asian tourneys last year:lol:

Slumpsova
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
ATF should stop doing this :o

first they put up the Asian Hopman Cup and not many players cares about that. later they threw Asian Maters Cup event in Bangkok and the players doesn't give a damn too :help:

this shows Tennis in Asia isn't that interesting not only for the audience but also for the players themselves. even the Asian slam will be held, it isn't gonna go well like the other 4 slams anyway. just get the fucking over it.

Marcell
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:56 PM
How did Venus get into this discussion?

goldenlox
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:56 PM
There's a lot more money outside the ITF than within it.
The USTA was just threatening the WTA with starting their own tour.
The Asian countries have much more money to spend on tennis than the USTA.

The WTA and ATP should be constantly working with these countries.
Screw the ITF. Create your own mega-tournaments.

OZTENNIS
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Make a poll...

No way should Asia, or any other continent, hold a Grand Slam...it would ruin the whole history of Grand Slam tennis, and it would be impossible to come close to winning the Grand Slam...

Harvs
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
AO gives them a wilcard... without asking for shit all in return. thats good enough as australia are hosting it.

AO will never lose our status as a grand slam... or shit will hit the bloody fan from my end, but maybe asia will become a 5th slam?

i hope not tho..

Harvs
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
yeah history plays a big part in this... this would ruin a long long tradition

woosey
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:23 PM

:lol:
i choked on my tea.

ewbangkok
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:28 PM
It won't fit in the schedule

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM
another slam is just what the tour needs :rolleyes:

an asian only circuit is a stupid idea and clearly shows their tennis federation isnt that interested in getting their players integrated into big tournys but rather they want the big tournys held in asia

the asian tournys seem to get whatever they want-probably cos of all the money they have-so you never know, maybe the asian federation will get their way

to be fair though i do see their point-the AO like to say how its the GS of asia pacific when its clearly not :tape:

Goai
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM
It's a pretty good idea. History shouldn't stop progress.

Ben.
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Make a poll...

No way should Asia, or any other continent, hold a Grand Slam...it would ruin the whole history of Grand Slam tennis, and it would be impossible to come close to winning the Grand Slam...

Agree, I would be absolutely disgusted if there was fifth Grand Slam created. It would just meddle with the history of tennis and winning the big four in one year may seem to be nothing if you add in a fifth slam.

Its all about money these days sadly, greedy bastards.

RenaSlam.
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Not going to happen.

Tennisation
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:37 PM
sure why the heck not, have the asian slam play on a surface made out of rice:hearts:

cypher_88
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:53 PM
i want Africa Slam!!!!!! where can i complain????? :lol:

goldenlox
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
This could never be an ITF sanctioned 'slam'. But screw the ITF.
Asia can have a mega tournament with bigger prizemoney and more points than the majors.

They have to work with the ATP and WTA. ITF is irrelevant.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM
They don´t even deserve an AMS event, much less a Grand Slam

Its fucking unfair how they got an AMS instead South America

sunsfuns
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:18 AM
This could never be an ITF sanctioned 'slam'. But screw the ITF.
Asia can have a mega tournament with bigger prizemoney and more points than the majors.

They have to work with the ATP and WTA. ITF is irrelevant.

ATP/WTA would be terminally stupid to go for something like this. Existing GS with their huge popularity and large prize money are not going to disappear anyway so adding another one would only weaken the product. It would be like organizing alternate World cup or F1 circuit (Americans did something like that in early 90-ties and absolutely killed their formula racing. Now Nascar rules...)

gmokb
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Thank you, that is my question as well. It doesn't matter, but some people will always find a way to be negative.
I guess having an intellegent discussion on the topic at hand was asking too much.