PDA

View Full Version : Venus Defends Shamed Hingis

Paneru
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:44 PM
VENUS DEFENDS SHAMED HINGIS

http://images.sportinglife.com/07/10/330/venus_williams_580210.jpg
Williams - defended Hingis.

By Andrew Mullen, PA Sport, Hong Kong

Venus Williams has voiced her support for former world number one Martina Hingis, who was handed a two-year ban for doping.

Hingis, who retired from the sport in November after revealing she had tested positive for cocaine at Wimbledon last year, had insisted she was "100% innocent".

But following an extensive investigation, the International Tennis Federation announced on Friday that they had found Hingis guilty of the offence.

Speaking after her semi-final victory over Elena Dementieva at the JB Group Classic in Hong Kong, Williams said: "I like Martina and I think she is a nice girl. I was shocked like everyone else.

"For me, personally, I give her the benefit of the doubt.

"There are hardly any doping cases in tennis and I think that in tennis it doesn't matter what you might take, it doesn't keep the ball in, it doesn't calm your nerves.

"I see where in track and field or other sports where it can help, but tennis is a sport where you need a lot of skill - there is no magic pill for that."

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=international_feed/08/01/04/TENNIS_USA-Williams_Hingis.html

Elwin.
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Venus is so nice :hearts:

Tennis-Chick
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Good on Venus for defending Martina :yeah:

Emina.
:worship::worship::worship:

Lefty.
Nice article and good words from Venus. :cool: :yeah:

Jovana.
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Venus Williams has voiced her support for former world number one Martina Hingis, who was handed a two-year ban for doping.

Hingis, who retired from the sport in November after revealing she had tested positive for cocaine at Wimbledon last year, had insisted she was "100% innocent".

But following an extensive investigation, the International Tennis Federation announced on Friday that they had found Hingis guilty of the offence.

Speaking after her semi-final victory over Elena Dementieva at the JB Group Classic in Hong Kong, Williams said: "I like Martina and I think she is a nice girl. I was shocked like everyone else.

"There are hardly any doping cases in tennis and I think that in tennis it doesn't matter what you might take, it doesn't keep the ball in, it doesn't calm your nerves.

"I see where in track and field or other sports where it can help, but tennis is a sport where you need a lot of skill - there is no magic pill for that."

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=international_feed/08/01/04/TENNIS_USA-Williams_Hingis.html

nice words :worship::worship:

Willam
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM
venus :kiss:

*JR*
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:55 PM

So implicitly she's defending Sesil beating her @ RG '05 not being due to doping.

Helaena
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:56 PM
venus :yeah:

thrust
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Very nice and accurate words from Venus, a very calssy Lady.

Tennisation
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM

So implicitly she's defending Sesil beating her @ RG '05 not being due to doping.I would say she is, even if Sesil was high on something, there was no excuse for Venus' poor play

sharapovarulz1
That was really nice of Venus :)

Pureracket

So implicitly she's defending Sesil beating her @ RG '05 not being due to doping.I'm pretty sure "hardly" is the operative word here.

harloo
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:58 PM

I love Venus and I know she's trying to be diplomatic but this statement is inaccurate. :lol:

Paneru
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:01 PM

So implicitly she's defending Sesil beating her @ RG '05 not being due to doping.

IIRC, just as with the whole Sprem Wimbledon event,
it wasn't Venus making a fuss, just as it was with
Sesil, it was not Venus, it was everyone else.

Also, she known Martina much more and longer to be able to
for her give the benefit of the doubt and Martina taking
cocaine(if she did), is different from Sesil and steroids.
The only thing that doping IMO can help with in tennis is
increasing power, not much more. And Martina unlike Sesil
didn't do that. So....hmmmm.......

sfselesfan
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:02 PM
*tears up*

SF

Paneru
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I would say she is, even if Sesil was high on something, there was no excuse for Venus' poor play

And she made none.

Just as with Sprem where she didn't blame the
chairman's error, even though she had every
right to do so.

woosey
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:04 PM
it's possible to be nice to a fault. v should not be defending drug use whether it helps a person's game or not.

Tennisation
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:06 PM
it's possible to be nice to a fault. v should not be defending drug use whether it helps a person's game or not.no where is she defending drug use, if anything, she's trying to prove a point by saying that no matter what u got urself high on, it's not gonna help ur game, so why risk ur career over some stupid substance?

*JR*
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I'm pretty sure "hardly" is the operative word here.
No, it seems like these are, I should have cut out the first part of that sentence:

"I think that in tennis it doesn't matter what you might take, it doesn't keep the ball in, it doesn't calm your nerves.

Now maybe she's being extemely diplomatic to Marti, but Sesil didn't ovapower her, and hadn't played since Miami due to the AER, so its not like doping let her recover from fatigue quicker. (Of course Slams have rest days). Whereas a guy playing a couple of straight 3 or 4 hour matches (some are even longer, of course) would benefit from that.

Dodoboy.
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM
such wise and beautiful words!...very true...there really isnt a magic pill...it's too different to the other sports...can't believe she like MARTINA...after all that mess!

Paneru
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM
no where is she defending drug use, if anything, she's trying to prove a point by saying that no matter what u got urself high on, it's not gonna help ur game, so why risk ur career over some stupid substance?

ITA.

Paul.be
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Sorry, but this is pure nonsense.

Tennis is not only skill. Endurance and strength do matter. There are substances to enhance that.
Concerning nerves and concentration. There are substances that enhance that too like beta-blockers.

Paneru
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Tennis is not only skill. Endurance and strength do matter. There are substances to enhance that.
Concerning nerves and concentration. There are substances that enhance that too like beta-blockers.

It's why she used the word "hardly".
Ofcourse their are things that can help.
She was trying to make a point that doping
doesn't help in many of the same ways that it
may in other sports, with the same types of
overall results.

She was trying to make a point.

It's called, Reading comprehension.

petkoan
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I Love Venus For This !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paneru
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:18 PM
No, it seems like these are, I should have cut out the first part of that sentence:

"I think that in tennis it doesn't matter what you might take, it doesn't keep the ball in, it doesn't calm your nerves.

Now maybe she's being extemely diplomatic to Marti, but Sesil didn't ovapower her, and hadn't played since Miami due to the AER, so its not like doping let her recover from fatigue quicker. (Of course Slams have rest days). Whereas a guy playing a couple of straight 3 or 4 hour matches (some are even longer, of course) would benefit from that.

You can't read between the lines that she is
trying to make a point and not cover every
possible thing?

Paul.be
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:22 PM
It's why she used the word "hardly".
Ofcourse their are things that can help.
She was trying to make a point that doping
doesn't help in many of the same ways that it
may in other sports, with the same types of
overall results.

She was trying to make a point.

It's called, Reading comprehension.
No, it's called hineininterpretierung.

Volcana
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Venus has more in common with Martina Hingis than anybody else in the sport this side of her sister. Parent coaches, teenage success, slam titles, injuries. It would be pretty cold if Venus couldn't empathize with, and defend her.

jujufreak
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:25 PM
well said, Venus :yeah:

Paneru
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:28 PM
No, it's called hineininterpretierung.

Whatever you say. :cool:

Londoner
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:30 PM

That is very gracious of Venus. And she is right, cocaine doesn't win a match never mind a tournament.

It's still wrong to dope and if Hingis did it she deserves the damage to her reputation. But I still can't believe she was so stupid.

Paul.be
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Whatever you say. :cool:
If there isn't any freedom of interpretation, there would be no ground for debate. We don't have to agree about everything. It would make life so dull. :cool:

Londoner
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
IIRC, just as with the whole Sprem Wimbledon event,
it wasn't Venus making a fuss, just as it was with
Sesil, it was not Venus, it was everyone else.

Also, she known Martina much more and longer to be able to
for her give the benefit of the doubt and Martina taking
cocaine(if she did), is different from Sesil and steroids.
The only thing that doping IMO can help with in tennis is
increasing power, not much more. And Martina unlike Sesil
didn't do that. So....hmmmm.......

I agree.

It's pretty obvious what Venus is saying here.

It's a shame people just can't accept that Venus is a class act.

woosey
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
no where is she defending drug use, if anything, she's trying to prove a point by saying that no matter what u got urself high on, it's not gonna help ur game, so why risk ur career over some stupid substance?

she said she would give martina the benefit of the doubt?

what benefit? that she did not use drugs or that she did not use them to gain an edge?

i would imagine that the list of drugs that are banned is purposely broad. the list is not curtailed and created specifically for one sport - i.e. identify the drugs that would benefit a tennis player and ban them.

the idea is that everyone goes out there and performs cleanly. period. regardless of what they took. that is the point that martina's defenders do not understand.

at last year's australian open, serena said she had to be careful about cold medicine because she had to take drug tests. now what advantage will she gain by taking cold medicine? it's doubtful she will gain any but she still refrained from taking the medicine.

banning drugs from sport is about principles and ethics not just whether or not someone gained an edged as a result of taking them.

vejh
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:54 PM
She tries to be diplomatic, and that's commendable; so have other players. However, I could give her a couple of magic pills to let her overcome the exhausation and fatigue that comes with running after the ball, and I have so other magic drug for calming those nerves. In other words, those are incorrect words spoken from her and may mislead some.

I agree that there seem to be hardly any doping in the WTA. I suspect the ATP needs it and uses it more.

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I just wish Martina would come out and give a nice interview or at least write a freaking book about this to clear the air.

woosey
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM
so i guess it's ok that players start taking cocaine because it does not positively affect a person's game?

slippery slope?

woosey
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I just wish Martina would come out and give a nice interview or at least write a freaking book about this to clear the air.

clear what air. hingis did not deny the result. she said someone slipped something in her drink without her knowledge.

hotandspicey
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Vee :yeah: But I wish they would stop asking other players to comment on the situation. :rolleyes:

misael
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Venus continues to impress me,she's matured into a very smart and nice person,I hope she wins at least two slams this year.

tennis ace
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Very nice words from Venus always........this board still makes me laugh though it's just funny how far some retards will dig to try and find a negative in what Venus has said but had it been their fave player well never has there been such a nice/classy quote!

vejh
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:08 PM
When did Hingis said someone slipped it into her drinks? No way..She has denied this from the get go and she has opposed the tribunal as well.

Steffica Greles
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Comendable words, if rather naive for a 27 year-old veteran of the tour.

Or maybe not so naive. Players -- and that's all of those who have defended Hingis -- do not like to bring the game, their own livelihoods, into disrepute. That would taint their own results.

People need to see these types of remarks beneath their face value. Of course they will defend Hingis.

Steffica Greles
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM

But she says that she didn't do it.

Perhaps she doesn't have a talent for writing fiction?

papru
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM
thats nice :)

Paul.be
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Very nice words from Venus always........this board still makes me laugh though it's just funny how far some retards will dig to try and find a negative in what Venus has said but had it been their fave player well never has there been such a nice/classy quote!
Yes they are nice, diplomatic words. But that doesn't make them true.

woosey
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
When did Hingis said someone slipped it into her drinks? No way..She has denied this from the get go and she has opposed the tribunal as well.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071101.wspthingis1/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/?cid=al_gam_nletter_newsUp

Hingis says she has tested positive for cocaine

JAMES CHRISTIE

From Friday's Globe and Mail

November 1, 2007 at 9:21 PM EST

The tennis world was rocked yesterday by an admission from Swiss star Martina Hingis that she is being investigated for a positive test for cocaine after a urine test at Wimbledon this year.

Hingis, once the top-ranked female in the world, made the stunning revelation as she retired from the sport, casting a shadow over a 13-year career in which she won five Grand Slam singles titles, nine Grand Slam doubles titles and earned more than $20-million (U.S.).

Larry Scott, the chief executive officer of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour said the organization had no official knowledge of a positive test and would not comment on the matter. Hingis, 27, blew the whistle on herself and has not been suspended.

Hingis's fortunes and world ranking had plunged recently.
Martina Hingis of Switzerland reacts during a news conference in Zurich on Thursday.

She went out in the third round at Wimbledon this year and didn't get past a quarter-final round through the summer. But none of that frustration pushed her into drug use, Hingis said defiantly at a news conference in Zurich, Switzerland. She said she would be terrified even to try cocaine.

Hingis said she was shocked at the news of a positive test and lashed out against an "outsource testing company" she and her lawyers claim mishandled the urine.

The denial was vehement: "I find this accusation so horrendous, so monstrous, that I have decided to confront it head-on by talking to the press."

Paul Melia, the chief executive officer of the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport, said it is common for sport federations such as the International Tennis Federation to contract out the urine collection duty to a private company.

"The analysis, however, would have to go to a WADA-accredited lab," Melia said.

In her denial, Hingis said she never had taken drugs, though she suggested at one point some "vicious" person could have sabotaged her by spiking a drink.

Wimbledon spokesman Johnny Perkins told the Bloomberg News service that drug testing at the tournament is carried out by the ITF, and championship organizers had no information about Hingis's case. Calls to the ITF's London headquarters weren't answered.

Hingis, who lost to Laura Granville of the United States 6-4, 6-2 in the third round at Wimbledon this year, said that on advice of her family and business representatives, she had submitted a hair sample for tests, which found no signs of the drug.

"They say that cocaine increases self-confidence and creates a type of euphoria," Hingis said. "I don't know. I only know that if I were to try to hit the ball while in any state of euphoria, it simply wouldn't work. I would think that it would be impossible for anyone to maintain the co-ordination required to play top-class tennis while under the influence of drugs."

Hingis left the sport in 2003 because of ankle injuries. She returned in 2006, when she won two titles and reached the Australian Open and French Open quarter-finals.

At 16 years 6 months, Hingis was the youngest player to reach No. 1 in the rankings. She won three consecutive Australian Open titles (1997 to 1999) and triumphed at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in 1997.

sweetpeas
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM
VENUS alway"s act classy!That"s my QUEEN...............:wavey::bounce::kiss::cool::wo rship::):wavey:

Paul.be
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Conspiracy Theory!

Craigy
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Yes they are nice, diplomatic words. But that doesn't make them true.

You have absolutely no reason to believe they aren't true words from Venus.
Would you actually just give it a break on looking for negative things to say? It's really getting annoying. I'm not even a Venus fan and you're making me annoyed. :shrug:

kiwifan
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Very nice words from Venus always........this board still makes me laugh though it's just funny how far some retards will dig to try and find a negative in what Venus has said but had it been their fave player well never has there been such a nice/classy quote!:worship:

Would you actually just give it a break on looking for negative things to say? It's really getting annoying. I'm not even a Venus fan and you're making me annoyed. :shrug: :lol:

The Queen Has Spoken.

End of Story. :cool:

treufreund
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I think Venus knows the sport way better than you folks. Good on ya, Venus. :hearts: For me, venus (and to a lesser extent Justine, Sharapova and Serena) have come leap years in their grace and maturity levels.

Marionated
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Great words from Venus. We Hingis fans know she's innocent.

vejh
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Some of you are missing the point of others (such as myself). The point is her facts are off as it regards the existence of drugs that can enhance tennis results.

Paul.be
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Would you actually just give it a break on looking for negative things to say? It's really getting annoying. I'm not even a Venus fan and you're making me annoyed. :shrug:
I don't say she's lying. She may very well believe her statements. They just are not true. I'm not looking for anything negative, certainly not in the case of Venus. Like I posted before there are a multitude of substances to enhance endurance, strength, concentration and nerves. If you want I'll give you their commercial names. Any player would benefit from these substances.

woosey
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM

"true" meaning v does not really know the story behind the cocaine. diplomatic statements are not always true or based on truth. and that's the Truth. that's why they are called diplomatic.

hablo
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Exactly.

Michael!
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM
That´s my Venus, very nice interview...:hearts:
And she´s right, doping doesn´t really help you in tennis.

*hingis_forever*
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Aww Venus! :hug:

markhingis
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:04 PM
very wise words from Venus!!!

Whitehead's Boy
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM
If Venus says something positive and gracious, some people will accuse her to be naive.

If Venus says something negative, then people would jump on her and call her a b*.

damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Bijoux0021
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Vee :yeah: But I wish they would stop asking other players to comment on the situation. :rolleyes:
It's all because the reporters are hoping that other players, especially the Williams sisters, would make a negative comment so they could then turn around and make a big headline out of it just to start bashing the sisters. Venus is smart not to give them the satisfaction by falling for the bait.

Ninny
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:56 PM
She's such a bless :hug:

Pheobo
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Very classy.

Brandon85
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
that was kind considering their history.

Infiniti2001
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:27 PM
That's my Venus--- she never gives reporters any red meat :worship:

frontier
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Vee is a class act!:kiss:

Lennval
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:58 PM
very nice venus

Matt01
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:12 PM
If Venus says something positive and gracious, some people will accuse her to be naive.

If Venus says something negative, then people would jump on her and call her a b*.

damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Tennis players are public people (to a certain degree) and they can get criticised for their opinion when people disagree with them :shrug:

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I'm with Venus on every word she said here.

faboozadoo15
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Venus :rocker:

danieln1
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Venus is very classy, nice support words for martina

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:36 PM
:worship: So classy Vee :yeah:

Buitenzorg
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Vee :kiss:

Whitehead's Boy
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Tennis players are public people (to a certain degree) and they can get criticised for their opinion when people disagree with them :shrug:

And? People are entitled to criticize what players say, my point is that no matter what players would say about Hingis, that wouldn't satisfy some people.

Max565
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:50 PM

Tell me about it.... she should do TV interviews, write an autobiography and sell her story to magazines, tabloids, the whole works... but whatever, the girl is so closed up these days.

TennisSTUD
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I hope it was good coke, if it was then I'm ok with it.

Max565
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM
clear what air. hingis did not deny the result. she said someone slipped something in her drink without her knowledge.

She has not said that. Other people like Navratilova have implied that though...

ico4498
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:59 PM

I love Venus and I know she's trying to be diplomatic but this statement is inaccurate. :lol:

Vee is my Queen and i appreciate her tone but you're right ... very inaccurate!

Greenout
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:22 PM
This is cool. It's nice to finally see where Venus stands in tennis. She is not and obviously not going to tow the line.

Honest comment, and it's Venus' point of view.

I think when more comments are heard by various players, especially grand slam holders :tape: everyone will be surprised to see which players are going to go conservative or tow the line.

TennisSTUD
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I think she will right a book about it and also do some interviews, hello $$$$. Big props to Venus, way to support your fellow players.

RenaSlam.
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Hoo ah.

Ben.
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Venus :yeah: vey nice words from her.

Ben.
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Opps, double posted

dansnewbeg
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Venus Williams is a class act.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Very respectful words from Venus :bounce:.

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:46 PM
nice to hear!

So Disrespectful
Jan 4th, 2008, 11:49 PM

The only real benefit of nandrolone for Sesil would be improved muscle stamina. I think that was a non-issue in this particular match.

serenafann
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Venus,I especially like you giving her the benefit of the doubt.

plantman
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Venus Defends Shamed Hingis

Not much I can add to all the nice comments posted already but I too would like to say.....

Thanks Venus!:)

Ryan
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Venus is definitely classy, and I think that Martina appreciates her support too.

rhz
Jan 5th, 2008, 02:15 AM
so true Venus! there is no magic pill for tennis!

Marshmallow
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:23 AM
:rolleyes: @ Posters framing Venus' comments in a negative way, focusing on points they can pick on.

True; Her ending statement may not be accurate, but the most important part of this whole topic, is Venus' defense of Martina... i mean there are people on here, who go on about the bitter rivalry between these women, fans who STILL hate the other, because of certain losses. Venus was not only diplomatic she said: "I like Martina and I think she is a nice girl. I was shocked like everyone else."

That is beyond diplomacy, more than just being classy. I can't think of the right word :lol: But it's very nice and sweet of Venus. An insight into the kind of woman she really is.

patricio
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:40 AM

she couldnt have said anything differently, otherwise she would have raised controversy, it was more of a smart statement than a nice one

Fergie
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Great words from Venus :yeah:

wtatennisballer
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Textbook case of sportsmanship by Venus. There's no doping going on in womens tennis:smoke:

Dawn Marie
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Venus makes a gracious and classy comment regarding her arch rival and some folks just get so upset and start crying like bitches. You would think after Vee playing 10 years on the WTA tour that some longtime tennis fans would stop imploring Venus to fit into their warped negative stereotype.
Stop hurting yourselves.
Vnus will not give you what you need to hate. When are you folks going to relaize that it's all in your own warped mindset.

New
Jan 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Stop reading so much into Vee's statement...

It is simple and straightforward... not some literature text where by zillions of stuffs can be interpreted behind every statement...:rolleyes:

Venus :worship:

vwfan
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:44 AM

So implicitly she's defending Sesil beating her @ RG '05 not being due to doping.I don't think Venus ever said that the doping explains why Sesil beat her!:rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm glad Venus said that. Very gracious of her, considering the long and often bitter rivalry between them.:worship:

I never liked Hingis much, but it is certainly not good for the sport if one of its all time greats is believed to be doping.

*W*
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I love you Venus :kiss:

you are beautiful !!!

pooh14
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
the point is serena, venus and hingis have grown into mature strong ladies.
in the past few years, you have not heard anything except supporting statement between them.
when hingis made a comeback, venus and serena made supportive comments.
when serena made won AO, venus winning wimbledon, hingis made a great comment on them too.

unfortunately, the fans haven't grown up. they still talking negative stuff due to statement made by these players when they were in their teens.

Sam L
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Venus is so classy.

lecciones
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Everything she said I agree with, the great thing is it came out of Venus' Williams, which means a lot in the tennis world. She has a very good point, doping cases don't happen much, and this is truly an aberration - a mistake.

serenus_2k8
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Wow, great comments, shes an incredible athlete! :hearts:

Princeza
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:11 PM
That's why i've always respected her.

vwfan
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Everything she said I agree with, the great thing is it came out of Venus' Williams, which means a lot in the tennis world. She has a very good point, doping cases don't happen much, and this is truly an aberration - a mistake.exactly. the fact that this came from Venus means a lot. . .
1) due to their fierce rivalry
2) the fact that she has been the players rep for many years
3) she is probably the most well-respected, off-the-cout player on the tour!

lecciones
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM
exactly. the fact that this came from Venus means a lot. . .
1) due to their fierce rivalry
2) the fact that she has been the players rep for many years
3) she is probably the most well-respected, off-the-cout player on the tour!

Im sure serena, venus and lindsay all feel quite different knowing that that girl who played and grew up with them on tour won't be there anymore. That saddens me, since Hingis might feel left out again, she was always that different person.

Martina's Fan
Jan 5th, 2008, 05:42 PM
nice words from Venus

LUIS9
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:34 PM
This is very nice of Venus, she has always been so genuine and kind overall. She is also so eloquent and well spoken it is so rewarding and refreshing to read anything that comes out of Venus' mouth. Well she is a Gemini, we know how to communicate and communication comes natural to us. ;) I love her backhand too!

I just also think Venus and Hingis always had a good relationship outside the tennis court, they were just two intense competitors on court but they both were always on good terms off court and had immense respect for each other.

Shooter
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:55 PM

Concerning nerves and concentration. There are substances that enhance that too like beta-blockers. Agree totally. But nice words from Venus.

tennismaster8820
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Very nice words from Venus!
I love her! :hearts:
This thread proves once again how many children post here!:p

hingis44
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:52 PM
For me this case is not finished. Martina must react and immediatly. It is not possible that it finih as this, not Martina!
Its a bad dream

Martian Stacey
Jan 5th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Nice words from Venus :) :yeah:

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:09 AM
:angel: Classy

mykarma
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:27 AM
That´s my Venus, very nice interview...:hearts:
And she´s right, doping doesn´t really help you in tennis.
Very nice of Venus but whether doping helps in tennis or not is not the point. The point is that cocaine is an banned substance and the two year ban.

mykarma
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:30 AM
That's my Venus--- she never gives reporters any red meat :worship:
That damn bug is driving me crazy. :lol:

mykarma
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:35 AM
This is cool. It's nice to finally see where Venus stands in tennis. She is not and obviously not going to tow the line.

Honest comment, and it's Venus' point of view.

I think when more comments are heard by various players, especially grand slam holders :tape: everyone will be surprised to see which players are going to go conservative or tow the line.
Vee nor Serena has ever towed the line but they've generally been criticized for it.

mykarma
Jan 6th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Venus Defends Shamed Hingis

Not much I can add to all the nice comments posted already but I too would like to say.....

Thanks Venus! :)

Gasping for breath.

Gasp! Gasp! Gasp!