PDA

View Full Version : "My Career is at Risk" - Jankovic

RJWCapriati
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Jelena Jankovic claims she is risking her career by playing with an injured leg but says she is determined to help Serbia win the Hopman Cup.

Jankovic was forced to retire in the second set of her singles match on Thursday but returned for the mixed doubles as Serbia beat Argentina 2-1.

"I shouldn't be here, I am really risking my career," Jankovic said.

"I shouldn't be playing but I love playing for my country and I will just try the best I can."

The world number three, who strained her right thigh on Wednesday, could not complete her singles match against Gisela Dulko as Argentina went 1-0 up in the mixed team competition.

But she came back for the doubles to help compatriot Novak Djokovic beat Gisela Dulko and Juan Ignacio Chela 6-1 3-6 7-6.

Serbia will meet the USA in the final on Friday where Jankovic, 22, is set to play former world number one Serena Williams in the singles.

"I'm having a hard time on the court," admitted Jankovic. "I don't know why I am still here, I really don't, but I want Serbia to win."

RJWCapriati
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Source - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7170304.stm

:tape:

What is Jelena thinking?

Demska
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
It's her own fault for playing after getting the injury against Golovin.

lindsayno1
now i know its jelena 'play every tournament going' jankovic and i love her to bits....but what a stupid div!

Fired
She's such a dramaqueen. :yawn:

Filippo-Nastya
This girl is crazy!

But I love her...

lindsayno1
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
and that sounds like something andy murray would say....shes been hanging round her bro and mother too long!

cartmancop
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
She is either being overly dramatic or is being ridiculously careless about her future...I hope its not going to turn into an injury plagued year.

Williamsser
Oh no!

Dodoboy.
crazy!!

Natalicious
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
:weirdo: jelena, u shouldnt play when u're injured :rolleyes:

Neptune
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
She's exagerating, I think.I don't believe she's risking her whole career by playing just one game at the Hopman Cup.She will be fine.

Slumpsova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
alright Jel of Arc :rolleyes:

do what you want but don't ask for a sympathy when you have been sidelined for years bc of this injury.

Wayn77
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
"Such drama Queens ...... but they do put on a good show."

ViennaCalling
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
I love her, but this is really insane :weirdo:

Haute
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
She is either being overly dramatic or is being ridiculously careless about her future...I hope its not going to turn into an injury plagued year.

I agree, if it's really that serious then she's a fool to play, otherwise she's being dramatic for the attention.

justine schnyder
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
JJ... :smash: :sad:

She shouldn't play! She'll have much more opportunities to play for Serbia exept that one if she'll rtire!
She shourd withdrew from Sydney for sure (She won't do that though..) unless she wants to come to AO with a wheelchair :sad:

Just Do It
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Oh, She is hilarious. You just have to love her.

Naah She will be fine :lol:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Drama Queen anyone? If it was career risking she wouldn't be in perth would she

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
It's her own fault for playing after getting the injury against Golovin.
For once, Demska, I agree with you :lol:

Brooks.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
she is the biggest drama queen on the WTA tour!

Pureracket
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
I don't see how it could be anything career threatening, though. How would her coaches, endorsements, and other handlers let her go through with this?

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
as much as she loves serbia, they will have even less chances in the future if her career really is at risk

Destiny
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
stop woman
stop don't ruin you career i need u when tennis starts getting bleaks
no no

St.Sebastian
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Crazy bitch. Love her :drool:
Such a drama queen!

Jovana.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
oh come on, she's crazy! but I still love her :hearts:, she shouldn't risk her career...

Slumpsova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
i don't understand why would she want to sacrifice her career for this exhibition event? why not in Slams or Fed Cup? :o
and if she is that patriotic, she should run for a president not just playing Hopman Cup and withdraw in every singles match.

Wiggly
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
"I'm risking my career...but I will play Sydney!".:tape:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
she needs help :help:
crazy woman :weirdo:

A'DAM
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Dramaqueen :lol:

TheAllan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
It's the incredible Hopman Cup - tell me of a player who wouldn't risk at least two limbs to win this thing. Where would Roger Federer be today in the all-time rankings game without his Hopman honours?

Cp6uja
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Even if she risk only this month, not whole season or career - that is too much for me (january is month with slam)... And she realy risk atleast this month...

:scared: :help: :scared: :help: :scared: :help: :scared: :help: :scared: :help: :scared: :help: :scared: :help: :scared: :help:

serenus_2k8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Urgh JJ deserves to be there!!!

@Sweet Cleopatra
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
I hope she's a drama queen and not talking seriously ,

danieln1
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM

As always... no one is forcing her to play.

Kenny
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
Let's go Rena! :D

tenn_ace
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
annoying

RenaSlam.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
So what she's saying is that she's an idiot.

Ok, cool. Play on with a self-described "career-threatening" injury, Jelena.

:banghead::bigwave::ras::weirdo::weirdo::weirdo:

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
More Drama from JJ...shes great for the sport, love her or not. Wta needs her to stay healthy.

simba
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
so much drama. i guess this is the only year that Serbia can play. i can't stand such stupidity.

Expat
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
maybe she knows from next year ana is going to be no 1 choice for hopman cup lol
but seriously if she is so injured shouldnt she be concentrating on rsting for AO
or she acknowledges that she isnt good enough for it to have a title shot there
and so wants to win something at least

DaMamaJama87
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Maybe it's one of those injuries that can't get worse by playing once it's stabilized. Like Kim had at AO 2006 and 2004

LCS
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Please she won't really help Serbia by retiring match after match. She should just skip it. Serena won't make allowances for her in singlesnor will Serbia get a easy time in doubles so I'd say the US has pretty much won the Hopman Cup this year.

Babolatpro880
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Love Jelena to pieces, but she's SO overdramatic. MRI's cleared her, it's a strain, not a tear. She's not risking her career by playing with a glute/hamstring strain.

I for one had a strain in my QL and my glute minimusand although it WAS painful, it's certainly playable, and hardly career threatening.

dybbuk
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Someone's a little bit of an attention whore, no? :yawn:

antonella
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Lot of meanies in here today :bolt:

Elwin.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Jelena :weirdo:

vwfan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:52 PM
I agree, if it's really that serious then she's a fool to play, otherwise she's being dramatic for the attention.exactly!

faboozadoo15
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
:tape: Hopman cup drama! :haha:
I Hope she's not risking too much.

Denise4925
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:00 PM

I agree with this. It doesn't make sense. Patriotism is one thing, but your whole career?? :confused: I think maybe she is being a little dramatic. At least I hope so for her sake.

Denise4925
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Maybe it's one of those injuries that can't get worse by playing once it's stabilized. Like Kim had at AO 2006 and 2004

Then why would she say her career is at risk?

Just Do It
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Leave Jelena Jankovic Alone !!!!

SV_Fan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Here is what I got to say. Serbia might when the Hopman cup but they want be thanking you 10 or 20 years from now so if she want to ruin her not so illustrious career early then she can but she got to think will this help her in the long run.

Denise4925
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM

:confused: I don't think anyone is attacking her. Just concerned.

Slumpsova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
:ras:

Tennisation
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
what top 10 player on earth would risk their career over Hopman Cup is beyond me:o

Just Do It
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
:ras:

Oh, Tuna, I guess this thread made your day.

Demska
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Denise435345236 go troll some Justine thread.

Denise4925
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
what top 10 player on earth would risk their career over Hopman Cup is beyond me:o

I just hope there is nothing seriously wrong with her. I'm so sick of injuries on the tour. It would be nice to have one season where everyone is playing and everyone is healthy.

Ben.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
I know that Jelena is playing for her country, but her health is more important than anything at the moment so she should stop playing HC just to be well prepared for the AO.

switz
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
i like Jelena but she's been really annoying. she's pulled out of her last 2 singles matches and it's very hard to her being able to challenge Serena in the final. Would have been better for all concerned if she withdrew and let France play in the final. her choice though.

Slumpsova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Oh, Tuna, I guess this thread made your day.
:rolleyes:

starin
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
"I'm risking my career...but I will play Sydney!".:tape:

:haha::haha:

but seriously :worship: to Jankovic. If she wins her singles match then everyone will think she's a hero. And even if she doens't win and Serbia still wins its a "great" come from behind story. She's just made her storyline much more dramatic and interesting

schorsch
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
For Serbia it wouldnt have...

misael
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking, I like her but come on!

thrust
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:57 PM

She cannot be serious! If this were the Olympics I could understand her thinking, but for the Hopman Cup?

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
WTA tour NEEDS DRAMA people. And I think Shes funny :)

JAMESYBABY!
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
i would do the same :lol:,,,, bless her:bowdown:

Andy.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM

Have you seen the diamond encrusted tennis balls they win ;)

Denise4925
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Have you seen the diamond encrusted tennis balls they win ;)

Umm they are nice, but I don't think they are worth over a million and she gets that or more a year just playing in all the tournaments she plays. :lol: But, I know you were j/k ;)

Yasmine
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
I think Jelena is overreacting, well i hope so anyway and that her injury isn't as bad as she makes it look. Otherwise I do hope she would be clever enough to pull out of tourneys and get the rest she needs for it.

ce
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
please dont play against Serena tomorrow :awww:

Lulu.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
She is such a drama queen. :rolleyes:

Nobody cares about you.

Philip
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Jelena is a drama queen :lol:

if she really thought playing would damage her career, im sure she would stop, or im sure someone would make her stop!

:lol:

Sleepwalker64
If u check her website...you'll see ...name Jelena, nickname...among others - Drama Queen...so, nothing new.

Philip
and if she does harm her career, whos to blame? Only herself...! :shrug:

cameron
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
After watching all her matches live this week at the Dome I believe it would be safe to say there is no way in the world Jankovic will take any further part in the Australia summer. The amount of heart she has shown has been amazing but I was almost hoping France got through to the final instead of Serbia so we were guaranteed of atleast getting both the womens and mens matches completed in full.

In saying that, I will be right behind the Serbians tonight. Djokovic and Jankovic have been a real credit to the sport all week in Perth :worship:

ivanban
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i241/ivanban/Jelenabiografija.jpg

serenus_2k8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
'I never surrender in my life, on or off the court...'

She wasn't lying! Crazy JJ!

Paul.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
I usually find her attitude funny and I love the fact that she's a diva.. but this is getting ridiculous :unsure:

The Daviator
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
So she'll retire against Serena, and then Nole will single-handedly win the doubles again :o Hopman Cup :smash:

RenaSlam.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:49 PM
It's like:

Shut up, Jelena.

G1Player2
Jan 4th, 2008, 12:00 AM
This is Kim Clijsters all over again. :rolleyes:

hectopascal
Jan 4th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I hope Jelena doesn't play the final against Serena! Please rest :( I don't want to see another beatdown, such as in the AO last year!

Dunlop1
Jan 4th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Jelena Jankovic claims she is risking her career by playing with an injured leg but says she is determined to help Serbia win the Hopman Cup.

Jankovic was forced to retire in the second set of her singles match on Thursday but returned for the mixed doubles as Serbia beat Argentina 2-1.

"I shouldn't be here, I am really risking my career," Jankovic said.

"I shouldn't be playing but I love playing for my country and I will just try the best I can."

The world number three, who strained her right thigh on Wednesday, could not complete her singles match against Gisela Dulko as Argentina went 1-0 up in the mixed team competition.

But she came back for the doubles to help compatriot Novak Djokovic beat Gisela Dulko and Juan Ignacio Chela 6-1 3-6 7-6.

Serbia will meet the USA in the final on Friday where Jankovic, 22, is set to play former world number one Serena Williams in the singles.

"I'm having a hard time on the court," admitted Jankovic. "I don't know why I am still here, I really don't, but I want Serbia to win."

What the hell is wrong with this girl????

FREAKING PULL OUT!! How the hell can you say you are going to play a match when you have a career risking injury??

THis girl is a mess. She hasn't seen a tennis match she didn't want to play. It's freaking Hopman cup, not the Wimbledon final girl. Use your head.

xr6turbo
Jan 4th, 2008, 03:50 AM
When i was walking into the hopman cup yesterday, Jelena walked right past me with a huge ice pack strapped to her ass :lol: Guessing it didnt help much. :o

Wayn77
Jan 4th, 2008, 04:00 AM
When i was walking into the hopman cup yesterday, Jelena walked right past me with a huge ice pack strapped to her ass :lol: Guessing it didnt help much. :o

Best post of this thread :lol: :lol:

I bet that ice-pack was steamin''

-VSR-
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Then don't play. It's an exhibition, like someone said, it's not a grand slam final. I'm sure they could have had another team take over for Serbia. This can't be as bad as being told, she wouldn't chance the Australian Open for this. Please.

miss_molik
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:49 AM
After watching all her matches live this week at the Dome I believe it would be safe to say there is no way in the world Jankovic will take any further part in the Australia summer. The amount of heart she has shown has been amazing but I was almost hoping France got through to the final instead of Serbia so we were guaranteed of atleast getting both the womens and mens matches completed in full.

In saying that, I will be right behind the Serbians tonight. Djokovic and Jankovic have been a real credit to the sport all week in Perth :worship:
yeah i know, she can hardly move on court, it's ridiculous, she can't run to any balls.

Experimentee
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I dont believe her career is at risk. If it was she wouldnt be playing. I know its Jankovic we're talking about here, but even she isnt that stupid.

Dawn Marie
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I'm not surprised. Her body will break down in 2008 because she decided to play a much overloaded schedule in 2007. She is a fool. Her constant tennis in 2007 is now catching up to her. Jelena Jankovic will get her ass trounced in 2008 watch and see.
Jelena please go to a 12 step porgram. You're a tennis playing addict.

Princeza
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Jeca :hearts:

urklerlay
Jan 4th, 2008, 02:54 PM
she is awesome...but I don't think the Hopman Cup is worth it!

GoDominique
Jan 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
If she is serious then she's a dumb *****.
If she is joking then she's a dumb *****.