PDA

View Full Version : Do the Age Limitations Hinder or Help the WTA?

Woodsworth
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
In the WTA:
17 years old - max 17 tournaments
16 years old - max 13 tournaments
15 years old - max 10 tournaments
14 years old - max 8 tournaments (no WTA, unless 1 by WC or 2 by feed-up)
13 years old - none

In the ATP
17 years old - unlimited
16 years old - unlimited
15 years old - max 12 tournaments
14 years old - max 8 tournaments
13 years old - none

The ATP youth do not enter nearly as many tournaments until they are older (Djokovic played only 1 tournament before turning 16). While Larcher de Brito has reached her maximum of 8 and must wait until the end of the month for her birthday to enter into her next tournament.

Considering that girls mature much faster than boys, should the WTA change their regulations to mimic the ATP?

schorsch
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hmm, 14 is still too young. Is Larcher de Brito gonna play if she turns 15 ?

ViennaCalling
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Tamira can play 17 tournaments this year :dance:

serenus_2k8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
Hmm I've never really noticed its had a big problem but I think if you are good enough to get into a tourny you deserve the right to play! :bounce:

Slumpsova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Boys have much more stronger physical. it sounds reasonable to allow them play unlimitedly at age 16 :shrug:

SharapovaFan16
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Hmm I've never really noticed its had a big problem but I think if you are good enough to get into a tourny you deserve the right to play! :bounce:

Exactly. If your good enough, your good enough.

schorsch
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
But... It could ruin the body and hinder a long term career.

saki
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
It's good to have some restrictions, IMO. Growing youngsters can damage themselves by too much tournament play and there are demanding greedy parents/coaches who try to get as much cash from their player as humanly possible. Those who are prodigies still rise to the top very fast - Sharapova wasn't exactly hindered by her limited schedule. I don't think Tamira would be much higher ranked if she'd been able to play more last year.

I'm not convinced by the current ones, though. I think the current jump from 13 to 17 is a bit large for 16-17 year olds. I'd rather 14 and then 16, I think.

serenus_2k8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Apart from damaging themselves, families and coaches can push the youngsters too hard and they would lose their enthusiasm..

Can you imagine players like JJ commiting themselves if they had been doing it since they were 16 :help: :lol:

saki
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Plus, there's education to think about. There are a lot of talented youngsters that turn out not to have what it takes, if they played 25 tournaments a year once they turned 13, they would have nothing to fall back on.

jj74
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Boys have much more stronger physical. it sounds reasonable to allow them play unlimitedly at age 16 :shrug:

In fact no, a 16 y o girl is nearer to have an adult woman body than a 15 y o boy to have a man's body

mirzalover
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:14 PM

A 16 year old boy playing a 20 year old man.
A 16 year old girl playing a 20 year old woman.

In my opinion a girl can play against older females much better than a boy could. How many 15, 16 year old males players do you hear of making a big splash. Now think of how many girls you hear about.

Max565
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't like Hingis' youngest ever records in danger... so I would like them to stay the same. :p

Volcana
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
In the WTA:
17 years old - max 17 tournaments
16 years old - max 13 tournaments
15 years old - max 10 tournaments
14 years old - max 8 tournaments (no WTA, unless 1 by WC or 2 by feed-up)
13 years old - none

In the ATP
17 years old - unlimited
16 years old - unlimited
15 years old - max 12 tournaments
14 years old - max 8 tournaments
13 years old - none

The ATP youth do not enter nearly as many tournaments until they are older (Djokovic played only 1 tournament before turning 16). While Larcher de Brito has reached her maximum of 8 and must wait until the end of the month for her birthday to enter into her next tournament.

Considering that girls mature much faster than boys, should the WTA change their regulations to mimic the ATP?Absolutely not.

The age restrictions have vastly helped the sport. No more players playing too much too young, and retiring before they turn 25. A professional who's career peaks before they turn 20!?!? That's absurd. But it's happened OFTEN to players who started too young. Tracy Austin was done winning slams before she turned twenty. So was Martina Hingis. If Anna Kournikova had been allowed a normal maturation, who knows how good a player she might have turned out to be. Andrea Jaeger, won a pro tournament at 14, US Open semi-finalist at 15, out of the sport before she turned 20.

IanRadi
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM

That isn't logic because a WTA player wouldn't play if she isn't physically able to. If she plays is because she can do it.

Paul.be
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Why not re-instate child labour too. :rolleyes: