PDA

View Full Version : GB No 1 Katie O'Brien to replace Naomi Cavaday in fed cup

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.lta.org.uk/Newsroom/GeneralNews/GeneralNews2008/080103KatieOBrienFedcup.htm?BSMGuid=3e84e60b-5b90-49d5-b6cf-8344d9a32555

Katie O’Brien has replaced Naomi Cavaday in the Great Britain Fed Cup squad. The British number one will travel to Budapest later this month alongside Anne Keothavong, Elena Baltacha and Mel South to take part in the Euro/Africa zone Group I event.

Katie O’Brien, voted 2007’s British female player of the year in the LTA awards, achieved a career high ranking of 121 in July thanks to reaching the last 16 of the WTA event in Eastbourne followed by her first ever main draw win at Wimbledon.

18 year old Cavaday had begun the 2008 season in New Zealand, recording back to back wins at the ASB Classic, a WTA Tour event before losing out to Ahsha Rolle in the final round of qualifying. Cavaday had been struggling with an ankle injury throughout the later part of 2007 and this week she made the decision to withdraw from the Fed Cup.

Nigel Sears commented: “Obviously it is a great shame that Naomi has had to pull out of the Fed Cup squad but we have an excellent replacement in Katie, it was a very tough decision to leave her out of the initial squad and I am delighted to be able to call up a player of her quality. I am confident that the team will perform well in Budapest. It is important that Naomi is able to fully recover and I look forward to seeing her back on the court soon.”

alwayshingis
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Shame for Naomi.

I thought Katie was out with injury :confused:

Wintermute
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know exactly why Katie was not included in the first place?

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Shame for Naomi.

I thought Katie was out with injury :confused:

she had shingles and thats what everyone thought kept her out but it was tactical.

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Does anyone know exactly why Katie was not included in the first place?

in the article, spears says 'we have an excellent replacement in Katie, it was a very tough decision to leave her out of the initial squad'

Wintermute
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
in the article, sears says 'we have an excellent replacement in Katie, it was a very tough decision to leave her out of the initial squad'

Yeah, I'm just wondering how he came to that decision when she's our highest ranked player.

serenus_2k8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks for posting, its a shame Naomi had to pull out but I'm really happy to see Katie will be playing! Woo! What do you make of GB chances to make it to the World Group play offs?

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I'm just wondering how he came to that decision when she's our highest ranked player.

she was annoyed that she was overlooked for wildcards for the grass court tournaments and wasnt even included in the first group of MD wildcards announced for Wimbledon. She believed after qualifying and winning a round at Eastbourne then again at Wimbledon, she had proved herself but obviously not.

She has a nice game but I think the problem is she doesnt have a big game like Bally, Mel and Naomi but also isnt solid enough like Anne :shrug:

Bennguin1491
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
good luck katie!

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks for posting, its a shame Naomi had to pull out but I'm really happy to see Katie will be playing! Woo! What do you make of GB chances to make it to the World Group play offs?

the change of surface is a huge bonus.

It all depends on the draw but with Mel beating Kremer and other good performances this season, we have a chance :)

patch.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Bad News for Naomi but nice Katie will play :)

What do you make of GB chances to make it to the World Group play offs?

It depends who they draw but If theyre in form and conistent they are all quite good actually and could give a challange to most teams :p

serenus_2k8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
Bad News for Naomi but nice Katie will play :)

It depends who they draw but If theyre in form and conistent they are all quite good actually and could give a challange to most teams :p

Yeh I really hope so. None of the other teams really look that strong! I hope they have similair success to the mens Davis Cup team, would love to see their confidence really stat to grow and launch them into the top 100 :drool: :bounce:

Woodsworth
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
She's a much stronger player than Baltacha, atleast in her post-injury form.

That said, not nearly the player that Naomi is.

Wintermute
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
she was annoyed that she was overlooked for wildcards for the grass court tournaments and wasnt even included in the first group of MD wildcards announced for Wimbledon. She believed after qualifying and winning a round at Eastbourne then again at Wimbledon, she had proved herself but obviously not.

Okay. Maybe there's some behind the scenes stuff I'm not aware of and as you say perhaps Sears didn't believe her weaknesses would hold up as well in a Fed Cup situation as some of the other girls. Just seems weird not to pick the #1 straight off.

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Okay. Maybe there's some behind the scenes stuff I'm not aware of and as you say perhaps Sears didn't believe her weaknesses would hold up as well in a Fed Cup situation as some of the other girls. Just seems weird not to pick the #1 straight off.

exactly - must be a kick in the teeth for her

Europe rocks
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:06 PM
The LTA have always seemed to hold back with Katie I feel. Good opportunity for Katie to play in Fed Cup. Hope she recovers from her shingles soon

Naomi :sad: Let's just hope this ankle injury will not hinder you for the rest of the year

Monica_Rules
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Personally i'd rather have Naomi in the team. She is our star player but having Katie as the replacement is not too shabby. I just hope she can do well with the change of surface.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
Katie should have been in the team instead of Mel in the first place :(

What surface is it gonna be played on

Slutiana
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
I deffo agree with what Farina Elia Fan said: I think she was left out because although she has a good game, peak katie would get beaten by peak Anne, Bally, Naomi and probably Mel. Although all but Anne didn't have as good a season as her in 07, when they're on they're all really really dangerous. Bally, Naomi and Mel because of the weight of their games and Anne because of her ability to conuterpunch, solidity and speed. Katie doesn't have as big a game as the others, isn't much quicker than them and isn't anywhere near as solid as anne.

Still a good player though so although it's a shame that Naomi is injured, it's not like there's a big hole left to fill. Im guessing they brought Mel along for doubles only so it will be interesting to see who plays which singles rubber. What surface is it on btw?

We haven't had this much depth in the team for a long time. We just need someone to bridge the gap to top 100... Hope it's anne :)

serenus_2k8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah my money is on Anne! I really wish her good luck in 2008 because I think she has great potential!