PDA

View Full Version : To anyone who watched Hopman Cup/GC/Auckland... what do you think of the new surface?

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
I just saw the replay of Serena - Molik's match at the Hopman Cup, and it seems to me that what the players commenting on the new Plexicushion surface is true - they are (pretty) slow. It's like playing on part clay, part hardcourts to me... and the ball bounces are high (not as high as clay though). Players might need time to get used to the surface... and Sharapova might regret the decision not to play a warm-up game on the new surface. So, what's your opinion on the surface? :wavey:

cfc_4_ever
Jan 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Been at the hopman cup all week. Season Tickets. It is definetly slower and the bounce is much higher than the rebound ace. Extermely disapointing, considering the hype

Mattographer
Jan 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Perth is only installed Plexicushion this week. The Gold Coast and Auckland is same as before.

Next week Sydney is the only tournament that installed the new surface. Hobart is remains Rebound Ace.

Ntour
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:00 PM
ABC did a hawk eye comparison between two fish serves one from lat year one from this year

and at the point of return this years was 2 kms faster

so really there isn't enough difference to even talk about

2moretogo
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
The bounces are definately higher, especially when the ball lands on the line instead of skidding it looks like it is is almost stopping(?) One thing is that Hopman is indoors so they said there may be some big differences from it and AO.

serenus_2k8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hopefully it will speed up?