PDA

View Full Version : Sandra De Jenken to take over as French Open referee

karin1492
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:41 AM
With effect from 1 January 2008, Sandra de Jenken Eversmann – who has joined the French Tennis Federation as Assistant Director – will take over responsibility for tennis operations at the French Open tournament.

She is replacing Stéphane Simian, who had held these responsibilities at Roland Garros for more than seven years. Sandra, who holds a degree in sports science, had a long and successful career as an international tennis umpire which saw her officiate at 13 Grand Slam finals, including the men's singles at Roland Garros and the Australian Open in 2007. She also umpired at the Olympic Games in Sydney and Athens.

Good luck Sandra!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:46 AM
Wait... Sandra De Jenken.... sounds familiar... was she involved in something with Serena in the past? :scratch:

Kenny
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Congrats Sandra de Jenken!

justine schnyder
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
Congrats! :)

justine schnyder
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:02 AM
Wait... Sandra De Jenken.... sounds familiar... was she involved in something with Serena in the past? :scratch:

Wasn't that Alves?

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
Wasn't that Alves?

Oh yeah... got confused with Sandra :lol:

But still... I dunno... something happened when she was in charge of a match... can't remember (darn bad memory today).

In The Zone
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:11 AM
Sandra de Jenken is the one we like! :)

karin1492
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Oh yeah... got confused with Sandra :lol:

But still... I dunno... something happened when she was in charge of a match... can't remember (darn bad memory today).

She was the umpire in the 2004 Australian Open final between Henin and Clijsters and overruled a call and called a ball out that was on the line by the fuzz of the ball.

It's still really sad to see one of the best chair umpires, male or female, leaving the game. She's really well respected within the tennis community and will be missed.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:20 AM
:worship:

the best ref-man or woman
yes she makes mistakes-but every ref does

she tends to get the balance of interfering and letting the flow of the match go absolutely right :D

she understands the game better than most refs :kiss: i love her-and her voice :hearts: nearly as much as Steve Ulrichs

Ben.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
Well done Sandra :yeah:

stefi62
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:31 AM
I like Sandra! Happy I'll be able to see her again in Roland Garros!

Jenny.C.Fan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
Good luck Sandra, sad to see she won't be umpiring any more though, she was the best umpire around.

HTE
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Good choice!
Shame we won't be seeing her in the chair anymore though.

shell
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
Well, good for her. But I always enjoyed matches that she chaired. She was firm but fair, and I think all the players really respected her - respect which she had earned. What a wonderful career she can look back on.

Martian KC
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Congrats Sandra! On to bigger and better things!

thomas.chung
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Keep in mind that just past 2007's AO was the first time that a woman (Sandra de Jenken) umpired a GS MAN'S FINAL!

So that tells you that Sandra's got creds!

serenus_2k8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Nice move :)

Woodsworth
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Sandra = Graf + Navratilova + Seles + Williams in the official form