PDA

View Full Version : Venus says she'll be tussling with her sister for #1 in 08'

Paneru
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:08 AM
'Corruption not a big problem in tennis'

January 03 2008 at 07:55AM

Hong Kong - American ace Venus Williams said she did not think corruption was a big problem in tennis, as she limbered up in Hong Kong for the Australian Open.

"No. I don't think it is a big thing for tennis, to be honest," she told reporters, when asked whether she had seen any evidence of match-fixing.

"I think we are OK, I don't see it as a problem. I don't think about it per se," added the 27-year-old, ahead of her opening match against Chinese star Peng Shuai in the JB Group Classic.

Rumours of match-fixing and concerns over unusual betting patterns and betting by players have dogged the sport for some time.

On Monday, tennis legend Martina Navratilova backed efforts to rid tennis of corruption but conceded that match-fixing was hard to prove.

Williams, the current Wimbledon champion, added she would be tussling with her sister Serena for the number one spot during 2008.

"I definitely want to return to number one," she said, when asked about her sister's aim to head the rankings this year.

Venus Williams, currently ranked eight in the world, said she would also be focusing on the Beijing Olympics, in an effort to regain both the singles and doubles titles she won in Sydney in 2000.

"Sydney was too exciting. Definitely the highlight of my career and just beyond my dreams," she said.

"Serena and I are already preparing to play in the doubles. We are going to play in Australia and we are going to play a lot more together," she added.

The annual Hong Kong invitational tournament has this year attracted five of the world's top 10 players, including Russian Maria Sharapova, who triumphed in the opening game of the four-day tournament Wednesday.

Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic also insisted here Tuesday the women's game is clean as the world's elite players gear up for the first Grand Slam of the year. - Sapa-AFP

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=4&art_id=nw20080103075221997C431381

In The Zone
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:10 AM
Venus. :D :yeah: That's what I wanna hear.

atptour03
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:14 AM
Get em' Venus. Love her attitude.

Lin Lin
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:15 AM
VV C‘mon

fioredeliberi
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:18 AM
I must compliment Venus for behaving so much better than her younger sister.
Now here is a role model for the young to follow(if you aren't a justine fan).

It would seem that the trash talking only comes from Serena or Richard.

heytennis
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
I'm really excited for her and Serena to start playing doubles again. They make the draw so much more interesting!

Mrs. Peel
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM

Serena has not been trash talking. If you are referring to that bogus, "Justine you have been warned," comment, you need to get up with current events because she never said such a thing. :rolleyes:

starin
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:43 AM
thread title is a little misleading. Venus just said she would like to be no.1. The title makes it seem like the no.1 spot will be a fight between Venus and Serena only.

Paneru
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
thread title is a little misleading. Venus just said she would like to be no.1. The title makes it seem like the no.1 spot will be a fight between Venus and Serena only.

That's because you have this board's mentality. ;)
Always looking for more than is there, i.e.
lookin' for drama. :cool:

I realized I have been on this board to long
when I thought of this after the fact....but
take some solice in the "after the fact". :tape:

Serena wants the spot, Venus wants the spot. Hence, she'll
be fighting it out with her sister to see who gets it. Has
nothing to do with dissing or dismissing other players.

-VSR-
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
I love hearing a confident Venus. I still love the comments about aiming to win three of the four majors this year. :D

starin
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM

yeah but that's how it sounds like. It can be read either way.
Only Venus and Serena will be fighting over the no.1 spot.
or (the way I'm pretty sure you meant)
Venus and Serena will be fighting to get the no.1 spot.

I just think the majority of people reading the thread will think the latter and not read the article and soon u'll just have
sh:)t talking thread. Anyhoo...whatevers...it ain't no thing.

Kenny
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Venus! :D

jrm
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:50 AM
How sweet ... she still believes in fairytales :devil:

Michael!
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:55 AM
That´s definetly no fairytale! :rolleyes:
If she stays healthy, she is still able to be number 1! ;)
Her tennis is so strong, and if she plays her best tennis, no one is able to beat her...including Justine :devil:

Destiny
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
Yes baby Vee
get them and beat them down down
so exicited

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
Vee and Ree always say they'll be 1 and 2

thats what i love about them :D

DennisPostedThis
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
I'd love to see anyone knock off Henin, so good on her!

*W*
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
I love you venus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hearts:

Ben.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:43 AM
Venus :yeah:

I just love her attitude :cool:

xr6turbo
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Go Venus! :D

Chance
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Any pics?

drake3781
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM

It is not the board's problem, nor the thread starter's fault. It is the author of the article who made the statement "for" Venus.
Second time within a week we have sloppy tennis reporting. :rolleyes:

Petersmiler
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
All she said was that she wants to be number one again. Nothing about tussling with her sister and nothing about Justine.

Talk about 2 + 2 = 5!

V-MAC
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:48 AM
Like Venus, Sydney Olympics was probably the top highlight for me too a fan of hers. Actually, I loved the whole 2000 olympics in general. Good memories ( if not for our Irish athletes mind :o )

Paneru
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
It is not the board's problem, nor the thread starter's fault. It is the author of the article who made the statement "for" Venus.

True.

doni1212
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
Only Venus and Serena in 08!!! Williams on all the grandslam trophies, ;) and medals (except Bronze) :lol:

Pureracket
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM

It would seem that the trash talking only comes from Serena or Richard.Nice of you to appoint role models based on your own standards. Arrogant much?

serenus_2k8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
WS out with a vengeance this year! Can't wait for the next all Williams final! :bounce:

Mina Vagante
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Sooooooo looking foreward to the doubles :)

MCCA
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
:rolleyes:She will tussling for no 1 spot at the family table, but good that she still believes that she can do it!

serenafan08
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM

:rolleyes: Oh cry me a river, build a bridge and GET OVER IT!!! Bashing Serena when it's not necessary. And you guys call Williams fans dilusional? Go look in the mirror.

Here you go bringing Justine into this thread when it's about Venus. We're not talking about Justine, so leave her alone. And given her track record except for last year, I wouldn't call Justine much of a role model either.

-VSR-
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Venus will get back to the #1 spot this year. Once she gains those big points in Melbourne, Miami and Roland Garros. :bowdown:

RenaSlam.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Let's go, Venus!

ewbangkok
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Very happy to hear Venus aiming for number 1 again,

serenus_2k8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
:rolleyes: Oh cry me a river, build a bridge and GET OVER IT!!! Bashing Serena when it's not necessary. And you guys call Williams fans dilusional? Go look in the mirror.

Here you go bringing Justine into this thread when it's about Venus. We're not talking about Justine, so leave her alone. And given her track record except for last year, I wouldn't call Justine much of a role model either.

:worship:

LCS
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:50 PM
Hmm...I look forward to seeing the House of Williams get Henin out of the top of the ranks...we'll see if Venus and Serena can come up with the goods consistently enough to beat Henin frequently.

serenus_2k8
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Lol I've never seed them act so confidently. I dont think their success will be limited to the slams, I think its a Williams olympics too :bigclap:

sammy01
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
#1 american!

nhissan
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:05 PM

Agreed. Once again journalist are spinning things to create drama :rolleyes:

Steffica Greles
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Yes but we never hear anything else from the Williams sisters. Sometimes they walk the walk, but much of the time it's just talk that they talk ;)

eugreene2
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Once again, Venus DID NOT say this. What's up with all the LYING threads!!!