PDA

View Full Version : Can players buy WC's?

ninanina19
Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:59 PM
Is this true? A girl who played told me girls can buy WC's to lesser tournaments. Why don't all slightly richer players do this? It would be a lot easier to climb the rankings quickly.

go_russia
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
it seems false ...

JAMESYBABY!
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
brie whitehead does it :shrug:

Cp6uja
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Is this true? A girl who played told me girls can buy WC's to lesser tournaments. Why don't all slightly richer players do this? It would be a lot easier to climb the rankings quickly.
YES!

See more at www.askbrie.com (http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1866530/2/istockphoto_1866530_making_money_with_tennis.jpg)

Nicolás89
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Bw :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
brie whitehead does it :shrug:

:haha:

ninanina19
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
So it is true? That's stupid though. It's offers such an advantage to already wealthy players. How much does it cost to buy a WC?

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:31 PM

That would never work. Most players who would have to even think about doing this would never even come close to winning a match on the main tour ( or ITF main draw). There are enough ITF tourneys where you could get allot more pts by winning a 1st rd match in a 50K ( 5pts ) than losing a match in the MD and recieving 1pt. :bounce:

tobi
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:32 PM
There are many examples of it at any level.

ninanina19
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:33 PM
What about buying a WC to an itf event and then getting to the second round.

Slutiana
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:35 PM
Don't bully Brie. :sobbing:

:p

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:40 PM

Highly unlikely. If you have to buy a WC into an ITF event then you apparently do not have the talent to become a pro tennis player even at the lowest levels.

Nicolás89
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:40 PM

it means you inverted well your money.

ninanina19
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Highly unlikely. If you have to buy a WC into an ITF event then you apparently do not have the talent to become a pro tennis player even at the lowest levels.
It's a hypothetical question.

Wintermute
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:48 PM
Brie Whitehead managed to get wildcards into the qualies of Dubai and Stanford last year! (Double bageled in both.) She reached a highest ranking of 656, this despite winning only one match all year (third set tiebreak). It seems that a little initial investment will get you somewhere even if you are a hopeless player.

kittyking
Jan 3rd, 2008, 01:20 AM
Money from families/sponsors can certainly influence the person who hands out the wildcards at each tournament, its not the only factor though.

*JR*
Jan 3rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
I've heard of it happening. I wonder if it just involves money, or sometimes "other considerations". :hehehe: (If Heidi Fleiss ever becomes an agent, I guess it answers the second part). ;)

kittyking
Jan 3rd, 2008, 01:43 AM
There are lots of little deals done in particular for smaller itf tournaments, well all know that. Eg a winner of the countries under 14/16/18 title is often guaranteed a quali or maindraw place into an itf event.

drake3781
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:25 AM

.... Sesil Karatantcheva notwithstanding.

DPJ
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:48 AM
Brie Whitehead managed to get wildcards into the qualies of Dubai and Stanford last year! (Double bageled in both.) She reached a highest ranking of 656, this despite winning only one match all year (third set tiebreak). It seems that a little initial investment will get you somewhere even if you are a hopeless player.

WOW!! okay im a tennis fanatic and i analyze the draws (qualification and main) of every wta tourney, and i always, always wondered who the hell this brie whitehead person was, and how she was getting into the qualifying events of the big tournaments! she sucks! couldnt win a damn game! now i know....

ninanina19
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:58 AM
.... Sesil Karatantcheva notwithstanding.
That's why I was wondering. Couldn't Sesil just buy wc's into bigger tourney's? Or at least something more than 25k.

drake3781
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:44 AM
That's why I was wondering. Couldn't Sesil just buy wc's into bigger tourney's? Or at least something more than 25k.

Actually, what little I know of it :p, I would imagine that of all players, Sesil would have to be on the up and up with regard to entries due to having much more scrutiny.

Slumpsova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
i don't think Stevenson has that much money so they should be other ways :devil:

Slumpsova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:53 AM
and if they can buy WCs. Alisa Kleybanova will play a lot of WTA tournies.