PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever expected a "shock" before it happens?

hingis-seles
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
This has happened to me a couple of times.

When the 1999 Wimbledon draw came out, I told a friend of mine to put money on Dokic as she would beat Hingis. I completely expected it. What I didn't expect was that absurd scoreline.

I also expected Venus' two Barbara upsets at Roland Garros (Schwartz and Schett in 99 and 01 respectively) and was only mildly surprised when they happened.

I was pretty sure Seles would beat Hingis at RG 1998 (because of Monica's RG pattern ;):p )but again, the scoreline was a bit surprising.

Mention any instances where a huge upset or shock didn't surprise you too much and you called the result beforehand.

dybbuk
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Well I bet 1,000 vCash on Bartoli over Henin at Wimby, if that counts. :angel:

serenus_2k8
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
Well I bet 1,000 vCash on Bartoli over Henin at Wimby, if that counts. :angel:

Haha brave move! If only it was for real :lol:

goldenlox
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:10 PM
In Russian Roulette I wrote over 2003-4 winter that Myskina would win a major. Then she won the 2nd major of 2004. She won Leipzig&Moscow back to back, so it wasn't that wild, imo.
In Sharapova's thread, when she played in Wimbledon 2003, someone wrote they were there and they were sure Sharapova would win Wimbledon. She won the next year

Max565
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
I knew Hingis would lose to Azarenka at US Open, Granville at Wimbledon and to Peng in China...

The red flag for the now-infamous Granville loss at Wimby was so bleeding obvious. On hingis.org, one of the members started a thread that Krajicek would be Martina's 4th round opponent... before Hingis even won her 3rd round match! A lot of ppl were expecting her to lose to Azarenka but I guess you'd still call that an upset.

The Dawntreader
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
I remember having an actual dream about Venus losing to pironkova at the Aussie in 06. I just knew something bad would happen the next day:o:sad:

LudwigDvorak
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
I expected Elena to lose her '06 USO QF. Didn't make it any less painful.

Vlad Tepes
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
I knew Hingis would lose to Azarenka at US Open, Granville at Wimbledon and to Peng in China...

The red flag for the now-infamous Granville loss at Wimby was so bleeding obvious. On hingis.org, one of the members started a thread that Krajicek would be Martina's 4th round opponent... before Hingis even won her 3rd round match! A lot of ppl were expecting her to lose to Azarenka but I guess you'd still call that an upset.

I also expected Martina to lose those matches, especially against Vika. Adding to that, Masha's loss to Aga at the USO didn't come as a huge shock for some reason :shrug:

Wiggly
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
It wasn't a real shock, but I knew Daniela was going to beat Kuznetsova and Hingis in IW.

Russianboy
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:42 PM
I never thought that Lena would beat Henin at IW 06. Espacially at 2-6 2-5. I was recording this match, but I stopped at 2-5 in the second cuz i couldnt watch this match anymore. Lena played horrible. Suddenly she made a big comback and won 5 games in a row. I started recording again at 5-5 in the second :lol:
anyway... lena still won the match 2-6 7-5 7-5 :worship:

ninanina19
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:55 PM
Well I bet 1,000 vCash on Bartoli over Henin at Wimby, if that counts. :angel:I kind of expected Bartoli would win as well. Don't know why.

ninanina19
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
You must have earned a lot of vcash on that one lol.

debby
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:58 PM
When Sharapova kicked Dellacqua's ass, I told my friend : "yeah, she played so well... but she'll lose tomorrow, you'll see, Radwanska 'll beat her for sure, I bet everything you want :wavey: "

after her defeat, when he signed up on MSN : "YEAHHH I was right !!! I am the truth !!!!
- what ??
- Sharapova has just lost !!!!
- OMGGGGGGGG :worship: :worship: "

:o ... And I knew Henin would lose against Bartoli in Wimbledon, against Safarova in Paris and Kuznetsova in Berlin. Yeah, I perfectly know when she is about to lose :devil: (of course, for Miami's final, she choked, I thought she would win :o especially at 6/0 5/4 40/15 it is not really a shock) .
Sorry but I can't tell you if and when Justine 'll lose in January :devil: (honestly, I think there will be an upset againt Henin... an unexpected loss :o )

I remember also last year, in Aussie Open, almost everybody thought Amelie would win easily against Safarova :wavey: I was the only one to believe on a biggest upset :bounce:

ninanina19
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
^^^I actually thought Sharapova might lose to Radwanska. It was really more hope than anything (I really disliked Maria then) so I don't know if I can fairly say it was a prediction. I knew Serena would win AO. At first I wasn't sure but then when she beat Petrova in the 4th round I was like "OK, she's winning for sure". Also I knew Venus would be Davenport at Wimbly 2005 even when she was down a set and a break. Not too shocking but still...

cartmancop
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
Kuznetsova's loss while defending USO...but it wasn't a huge 'shock' to many I don't think.

Poova
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
Erm.... only one that springs to mind is Venus losing to Jankovic at Wimbledon 2006.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
I predicted that Cavaday would beat Hingis at Wimby :fiery: she got to match point and then fucked up :(
In Britain everyone becomes a tennis expect when Wimby comes around so I thought I would show off my knowledge by banging on about Cavaday :angel: noone believed a British WC would beat Hingis-turns out they were right :lol:

Azarenka (US Open) and Peng (Beijing) beating Hingis werent shocks for me :shrug:
Mauresmo losing her Fed Cup matches is to be expected too :p

I expected Chaky to beat Myskina at the US Open in '04, I was surprised Myskina won a round given her mental state after the Olympics :weirdo:

HenryMag.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:22 AM
Azarenka def. Hingis, but it wasn't very surprising.

ninanina19
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:28 AM
I never thought that Lena would beat Henin at IW 06. Espacially at 2-6 2-5. I was recording this match, but I stopped at 2-5 in the second cuz i couldnt watch this match anymore. Lena played horrible. Suddenly she made a big comback and won 5 games in a row. I started recording again at 5-5 in the second :lol:
anyway... lena still won the match 2-6 7-5 7-5 :worship:I remember that much. I thought Henin would win for sure. That was some masterful choking. Great play from Lena though. Too bad she lost to Maria in the final.

ninanina19
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:29 AM
I remember having an actual dream about Venus losing to pironkova at the Aussie in 06. I just knew something bad would happen the next day:o:sad:

You dream about your favorite player's first round matches:confused:>

Christinawww
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
2007 US Open R128: Vakulenko bt. Hantuchova. I knew it would happen as soon as I saw the draw.

OsloErik
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:42 AM
In '97, when I wasn't a huge Hingis fan, my exact words when she beat Seles were "Not a problem, Majoli will show her whose boss tomorrow"

I actually had thought Majoli or Pierce would win that year. Hingis was the obvious choice, but she hadn't played in a while because of the horseback riding incident.

Ntour
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:34 AM
i don't know about matches, but i can always feel when a df is coming

mboyle
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:55 AM
I knew Maria was going to win the Wimbledon final.
I predicted each of Mauresmo's slam losses last year, and I usually get it right when the sisters lose.

Sharapova losing to Radwanska was the most unexpected loss in a while for me. I was in shock and awe.

Harvs
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:57 AM
i expected casey to beat nicole the other day... and she really should have lol GRR

switz
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
i was on a farm once and there was a fence with signs that said "This is in an electrically charged fence." I grabbed it with both hands and got an electric shock. I was not shocked that i got shocked.

njnetswill
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:00 AM
Never. Whenever a shocker happens I am like this: :eek:

Harvs
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:06 AM
i was on a farm once and there was a fence with signs that said "This is in an electrically charged fence." I grabbed it with both hands and got an electric shock. I was not shocked that i got shocked.

lol smart ass:)

Lefty.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:18 AM
Not really a match shocker but I just knew when Venus pulled out her first round win in 07 that she was going to win Wimbledon that year. :lol:

AjdeNate!
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:35 AM
I called Sprem beating Venus at Wimbledon days before it happened in a thread here in which I was demonized and vilified for suggesting it possible.

switz
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
I called Sprem beating Venus at Wimbledon days before it happened in a thread here in which I was demonized and vilified for suggesting it possible.

weren't you like her biggest fan though?

where is she?

AjdeNate!
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:43 AM
weren't you like her biggest fan though?

where is she?
I still am. But that shouldn't invalidate my thought/prediction. She's out with an injury since last summer. Hopeful to come back for clay season... We'll see...

hingis-seles
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:15 AM

And I remember bumping it up once the match was over.

I still am. But that shouldn't invalidate my thought/prediction. She's out with an injury since last summer. Hopeful to come back for clay season... We'll see...

Why do our favourites always get injured indefinitely? :sad:

historystupid
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Hantuchova def. Henin in 2002 US Open
Henin def. Serena in 2003 Roland Garros
Myskina def. Venus in 2004 Roland Garros
Dementieva def. Mauresmo in 2004 Roland Garros
Dementieva def. Mauresmo&Capriati in 2004 US Open
Pierce def. Sharapova in 2004 US Open
Pierce def. Davenport in 2005 Roalnd Garros
Serena def. Henin in 2007 Miami
Serena def. Sharapova in 2007 Aussie
so many......

justine schnyder
Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Serena def Heni in Miami 2007
Patty def Serena in Rome

And I'm not sure it's considered as a shock, but last year, in USO, I was really sure Davydenko will beat Haas, even when he was down 2-0 in sets and my brother laughed at me (I wanted Hass to win though..)

BartoliBabes
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
bartoli over henin at wimb

ninanina19
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
I just expected Zvonareva to lose. Not that impressive but still it's quite an upset.

RJWCapriati
Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
Hantuchova def. Henin in 2002 US Open
Henin def. Serena in 2003 Roland Garros
Myskina def. Venus in 2004 Roland Garros
Dementieva def. Mauresmo in 2004 Roland Garros
Dementieva def. Mauresmo&Capriati in 2004 US Open
Pierce def. Sharapova in 2004 US Open
Pierce def. Davenport in 2005 Roalnd Garros
Serena def. Henin in 2007 Miami
Serena def. Sharapova in 2007 Aussie
so many......

lol - these aren't really "shocks"

Craigy
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hantuchova def. S. Williams - Australian Open 2006.
I think that was kind of a shock.

Helaena
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:30 PM

lol at this one :lol:

justine schnyder
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
I don't know if that was considered as a shock, but I had the strong feeling that Kuzzy would defet Serena (In Stuttgart)

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
I predicted Peng to beat Clijsters during the US hardcourt season in 2005 :cool: I still owe the majority of my vCash to that bet I made :lol:

iWill
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
I thought Sharapova was going to lose to Mary Pierce in the 04 USO

I figured Justine would beat Serena at Wimbledon this year too...:devil:

DefyingGravity
Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Roland Garros 2003: I called Petrova over Seles (injured Mon); Harkleroad of Hantuchova (she had beaten her the last visit); Zvonareva over Venus (Venus sort of injured at the time, but clay and consistent players don't mix); and Petrova over Capriati (after seeing the game she had when she beat Seles, I knew she was going to beat Jennifer, especially after taking the first set.

Australian Open 2005: I had a dream that Serena would beat Maria in three sets, and I knew she was going to save match points and go the distance in the third set while the match was going on...TV wasn't on or anything, then I woke up to the replay of the match on ESPN and saw she won.

Australian Open 2006: I knew that Hingis would make it to the quarters (no one had seen her style for three years, and the people in her quarter were either inexperienced or just lost altogether)

Australian Open 2007: I had a feeling that once Serena beat Pe'er, the title was hers. Called, and won 20 bucks.