PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Whoever's in Charge Up There: Let There Be a Debut GS Winner

Maharhar
Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
Am I alone in hoping that someone other than Henin, Sharapova, S & V Williams wins a Grand Slam this year?

Don't get me wrong: I have healthy respect for all the women who've ever won a Grand Slam title, but it seems to me that a changing of the guard is in order, if not very delayed.

Lucemferre
Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
:zzz:

partbrit
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
It would be exciting, yes! But so would a Lindsay Davenport Grand Slam win. Nothing would thrill me like another Mauresmo win, though.

Williamsser
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
They have to earn it by beating the current champs.

LudwigDvorak
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
My only two favorites that haven't won a slam that had really viable chances to are Elena and Nadia. I'm content with Lindsay, Venus, Serena, or Amelie winning a slam in 2008, but I'd like to see Elena win one. That's the only new one I care to see, then Justine can win the next 90000000000000000 in a row for all I care.

Expat
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
dont u think they should earn it
the best chance imo of a new slam winner will be in french
because if ju fails its most likely to be a new one that will win it
vee ree and masha all suck at FO

Lucemferre
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
dont u think they should earn it
the best chance imo of a new slam winner will be in french
because if ju fails its most likely to be a new one that will win it
vee ree and masha all suck at FO

Wanna bet?

Destiny
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
the best should win if it's the williams or Justine let it be

Dexter
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
Am I alone in hoping that someone other than Henin, Sharapova, S & V Williams wins a Grand Slam this year?No, you are not.

goldenlox
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
There's going to be a changing of the guard. If not this year, it'll come eventually.

anon57
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
It would be nice if some of there was a new GS champion this year, however I have no problems if the GS's are won by the "older" GS champions. I do hope we have some competitive finals this year.

Ryan
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
I think people are being too harsh here - Maharhar never said he didn't want a new slam winner to earn the title or beat the best, just that he hopes someone new wins a Slam. I fully agree. Justine is probably a lock for the FO, but I really hope Ivanovic, Jankovic, Vaidisova or someone surprises us and wins a Slam. It's always cool to have a new slam winner and I find Justine, Venus, and Serena winning everything slightly boring sometimes. That being said, I would be happy with Sharapova winning a slam this year too.

Woodsworth
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Apart from Justine at the moment, the rest of the competition is lacking mentally or physically. Some just don't have the matches in them, and for others, their success is conditional on good draws, and certain surfaces.

iheartjelenaj
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Am I alone in hoping that someone other than Henin, Sharapova, S & V Williams wins a Grand Slam this year?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uhD8WnBQQIw

:lol: :haha:

Lucyxx
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
^ Crazy! :haha:

Freeze 1:20 and not laugh. Bet you can't!

njnetswill
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
:worship: Amen to that. I have immense respect for Justine and the Williams sisters, but it is so great to see the reaction of a first time grand slam winner, soemthing I have not seen since...Nadal in RG 2005 or Amelie in AO 2006, and that was a craptastic final.

Paneru
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
I think people are being too harsh here - Maharhar never said he didn't want a new slam winner to earn the title or beat the best, just that he hopes someone new wins a Slam. I fully agree. Justine is probably a lock for the FO, but I really hope Ivanovic, Jankovic, Vaidisova or someone surprises us and wins a Slam. It's always cool to have a new slam winner and I find Justine, Venus, and Serena winning everything slightly boring sometimes. That being said, I would be happy with Sharapova winning a slam this year too.

Interesting.

People said the same exact thing when the WS dominated,
and no sooner than injury came and their performance became
inconsistent and they no longer dominated, many of the same
folks were so quick to slam them from dedication to training,
to the game passing them by, and so on.

I say skip that bull!

If Justine and/or the WS dominate, sobeit!
You have the skill and put in the effort to earn,
you deserve to dominate for as long as you are able.

A la Federer.

iheartjelenaj
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
craptastic

mmmm..... luv this word!! :lick: :haha:

Slumpsova
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
time for Nicole :)

iheartjelenaj
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
^ Crazy! :haha:

Freeze 1:20 and not laugh. Bet you can't!

you're right, i can't! i'm tearing! omg, my stomach hurts! :haha:

Harju.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
time for Nicole :)
to reach Tier II final?

just couldn't resist. :o

Maharhar
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Interesting.

I say skip that bull!

Ala Federer.

No one's slamming anyone here and of course you should be rewarded for your efforts! But I personally find domination reaches a saturation point for fans---you don't want anyone to dominate so thoroughly that a GS winner, of all things, should be PREDICTABLE.

There's excitement in wondering who it's going to be!

Paneru
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
No one's slamming anyone here and of course you should be rewarded for your efforts! But I personally find domination reaches a saturation point for fans---you don't want anyone to dominate so thoroughly that a GS winner, of all things, should be PREDICTABLE.

There's excitement in wondering who it's going to be!
I was speaking of slamming in the sense that
when the once dominant, is no more. Many of the
same that complained of the dominant one(s) were
there to also slam them for no longer being dominant. ;)

Well, just as many of WS fans said then,
tell it to the rest of the WTA! ;)

It's up to them to play better because the
current in Henin, WS, Sharapova...don't look
to be giving anything away for the time being.

Maharhar
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
I was speaking of slamming in the sense that
when the once dominant, is no more. Many of the
same that complained of the dominant one(s) were
there to also slam them for no longer being dominant. ;)

Well, just as many of WS fans said then,
tell it to the rest of the WTA! ;)

It's up to them to play better because the
current in Henin, WS, Sharapova...don't look
to be giving anything away for the time being.

I agree, though there are some factors beyond skill---and I hope those other intangibles work in the favor of other people this year.

Not out to slam anyone, but I'm wishing luck to non-GS winners this year and hope it goes their way!

fatty sausage
Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Yes, it would be more fun and exciting if a newbie won a GS this year! If it is all about wishing, then I wish Grand Slam glory to Sania Mirza! And a dubs GS to Ai and Kata! (I can always wish, can't I?)

Volcana
Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM

Don't get me wrong: I have healthy respect for all the women who've ever won a Grand Slam title, but it seems to me that a changing of the guard is in order, if not very delayed.Sharapova IS the beginning of the changing of the guard. But remember, three of the ten best players of the open era are active slam title holders right now. Hingis not winning a slam after age 19 is an exception. Graf winning one at 30 is closer to the rule, at least when you're dealing with all-time great players. (Not merely Hall-of-Fame. anybody can get into the HoF.) Venus, Serena and Henin, right now, have had careers among the top 25 all-time. Serena's top ten all-time. Players like that may go gently into that good night, but they don't go quickly.

Cp6uja
Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Yesterday AnnaK_4ever open one of his very usefull statistic threads about last 19 slam winners (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=327005) with W/L records overall, vs. TOP10 and vs. slam winners (career and slam stats) and i'm been proud when i notice that Ana Ivanovic already have better career W/L record vs. TOP10 than 10 of last 19 slam champions, and her h2h stats vs. slam winners is already better than 5 of last 19 former GS winners.

Her slam W/L ratio stats vs. TOP10 is even more impressive and already better than have 12 of last 19 slam winners and vs. former slam champions at slams she already have better record than 4 former champions. Also, Ana have in 2007 season more TOP10 wins than any non-slam-winner ever have in some single season, and Ivanovic is only player sunce Andrea Jaeger which reach semis at same GS season at clay and grass which still not won some slam!

So if Ana win AO2008 it's dont be so big surprise like for win of some other girl of rest slam-non-winners. Same thing is for Djokovic in ATP competition.

serenus_2k8
Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
I like it. Where would we be without tennis legends!

Ninny
Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Interesting.

I say skip that bull!

A la Federer.

:worship: Amen to that!

:wavey: Happy New Year to you ! :)

Ryan
Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Interesting.

I say skip that bull!

A la Federer.

Again, I never said they dont deserve to dominate or should get injured. I just said when someone dominates for awhile and the same people win slams, I find it boring. I never pined for Venus or Serena or Justine to come back when they were injured.

esquímaux
Jan 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
to reach Tier II final?

just couldn't resist. :o
:spit: :ras: